RIP Sylvain Sylvain, NY Dolls

Down to only one Doll remaining. RIP.

How did he make it to 69?

Clean living. Like Keif.

Not familiar with this group. Were these Dolls from Upstate or Downstate NY?

Edit: Good lord, they sound like a band of 14 yr olds at a School of Rock concert.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

About as downstate as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

Edit: Good lord, they sound like a band of 14 yr olds at a School of Rock concert.
    You may be familiar with their lead singer, David Johansen, from his acting. Here as the Ghost of Christmas Past in Scrooged

I still call it The Jake.

....and Let It Ride (which is one of my favorite movies).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Makes me miss college and Hialeah
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm a little stunned that Timberridge was familiar with Brian McKight's oeuvre but not David Johhasson and Sylvain Sylvain's. I have to think about this.

RIP Sylvain Sylvain, NY Dolls

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ....and Let It Ride (which is one of my favorite movies).
    Every time I watched I had the slightest hope that Jennifer Tilly’s boobs would finally pop out of that red dress.

RIP Sylvain, long live Buster Poindexter!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'm a little stunned that Timberridge was familiar with Brian McKight's oeuvre but not David Johhasson and Sylvain Sylvain's. I have to think about this.
    Apparently he's only an upstate music enthusiast.

Read this book: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LGTBOF.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	358059

exerpt:
    "The Dolls took their name from the New York Doll Hospital, a toy repair shop across the street from a midtown boutique Mizrahi had worked in. Ditching his last name, he became simply Sylvain Sylvain; Genzale became Johnny Thunders. The Dolls played dives, gobbled up drugs, and loved playing dress-up, their fashion sense inspired in equal parts by the Max’s drag queens and Detroit glam rockers like Alice Cooper and the Stooges, in stacked heels, blouses, and makeup. They played simultaneously brute and campy rock ‘n’ roll that owed plenty to those bands – Thunders spewing metallic riffs, alternately squealing and spitting power chords, over Johansen’s sashaying street-punk hollers.

“Personality Crisis” was their defining song, summing up a zeitgeist where who you were on the street, in the club, and in the bedroom was infinitely, confusingly mutable. “You’re a prima ballerina on a spring afternoon,” sang Johansen. “Change into the wolfman, you’re howlin’ at the moon—OWOOOOOOOOO!”"

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Apparently he's only an upstate music enthusiast.
    True. I don't think they made it Upstate.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

And if they did, who's to say they knew where they actually were.
    I still call it The Jake.

Name:  NYD17_Oct_73d.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  79.8 KB
    a lot to unpack here...

Did they invent duck lips ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I used to know a guy that played with them for a short while after their heyday. He was a hired gun and apparently wasn’t with them long enough to even be listed on their Wikipedia page. I guess he didn’t make it onto any of their albums. He told me when he showed up for his first rehearsal, the original members went in the bathroom together and didn’t come out for about two hours. It was a one holler too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Read this book: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LGTBOF.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	358059

exerpt:
    "The Dolls took their name from the New York Doll Hospital, a toy repair shop across the street from a midtown boutique Mizrahi had worked in. Ditching his last name, he became simply Sylvain Sylvain; Genzale became Johnny Thunders. The Dolls played dives, gobbled up drugs, and loved playing dress-up, their fashion sense inspired in equal parts by the Max’s drag queens and Detroit glam rockers like Alice Cooper and the Stooges, in stacked heels, blouses, and makeup. They played simultaneously brute and campy rock ‘n’ roll that owed plenty to those bands – Thunders spewing metallic riffs, alternately squealing and spitting power chords, over Johansen’s sashaying street-punk hollers.

“Personality Crisis” was their defining song, summing up a zeitgeist where who you were on the street, in the club, and in the bedroom was infinitely, confusingly mutable. “You’re a prima ballerina on a spring afternoon,” sang Johansen. “Change into the wolfman, you’re howlin’ at the moon—OWOOOOOOOOO!”"
    Another excellent book about that period is Please Kill Me, an oral history of punk, which put them in the vanguard. https://www.amazon.com/Please-Kill-M.../dp/0802125360 Much about Johnny Thunders, another Doll, and the junkie saint of the Bowery.

Great stories. Really makes you appreciate Iggy is even alive, let alone out there.

Iggy, Keith etc prove that which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Name:  NYD17_Oct_73d.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  79.8 KB
    a lot to unpack here...
    Wow. That must have been some night. And then it's off to listen to Ginsberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow. That must have been some night. And then it's off to listen to Ginsberg.
    Seems thats how shit went down in Buffalo in a venue "renowned for its acoustical excellence and graceful architecture"

There was a lot of money in Buffalo for a while there. Lots of cool architecture and public spaces downtown. After WW2 it all started coming apart but up until then they were rolling.