Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sharpen Without Waxing

I’ve always waxed after sharpening edges. If the wax is good but the edges need sharpening, can I just sharpen?

Quote Originally Posted by mmpotash View Post
    I’ve always waxed after sharpening edges. If the wax is good but the edges need sharpening, can I just sharpen?
    No you will die.

You need to wipe your base with Mop & Glo before you sharpen without waxing.

As much as this seems like an alias question, I'll bite...

Just use a stone on the sides only, don't file the base. You can sharpen the edges just fine by working only the sides, at least for daily purposes.

My Dad had a diamond stone, one of those pocket size deals. Every morning he would pull his ski for the day and hit the sides only. One light pass at an angle from tip down to tails to remove any burrs. Then rub a bit of flouro wax in. When he was skiing 80+ days each year, I don't remember him ever doing more than that.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Just use a stone on the sides only, don't file the base. You can sharpen the edges just fine by working only the sides, at least for daily purposes.

This. Just don’t bother waxing before you hit your edges and you’re good. I would still recommend waxing after you do edge work to clean up and protect the bases. Stone and file work can dry out your bases where they need protection the most. Not that most of you “tools not jewels” kooks care anyway.

If you’re using stones, use water. Keeps dirt and grit out of your bases. Diamond stones should always be wet when in use. Deburr with an aluminum oxide pocket stone because they’re $5 and you won’t trash your good stones. They’re great for initial detuning too.

To the non asshole responses- thank you! I was going to use my diamond stones on my edge tool, making sure they were wet. Just didn't know whether getting grit into the wax was an issue

Assuming you are talking about sharpening the edges with the bases scraped, right? Not trying to sharpen an edge with the base covered in unscraped wax?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

To the non asshole responses- thank you! I was going to use my diamond stones on my edge tool, making sure they were wet. Just didn't know whether getting grit into the wax was an issue
    Depending on how well you scraped the old wax off you might also get a lot of wax on the stones. If they have been skied at all I'm sure the edges are clean

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Most people don't scape their skis enough after waxing, so you're just as likely to contaminate your stones as your base. Use tons of water, on the base and the stone, and it's not as much of an issue. If you're using porous stones (aluminum oxide, silicon carbide) you need to make sure to get all the wax off the base and edges (within reason). Diamond stones are much easier to keep clean.

It's still a good idea to wax after edge work, there's no such thing as waxing a ski too much anyway.

Clean your edge guides. Really.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've skied only about 4 times since my last tune, but with the old crusty snow the edges are not as sharp as I like. The wax looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    No you will die.
    THIS ^^^^^^
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

If you have skied 4x since tune there is no wax on your skis
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

4 or 5x and it's time to wax again. Make sure to really brush well with the brass brush to open up the structure.
    No longer stuck.

Sharpen Without Waxing

The inventor of the skivision tool argues that wax is not necessary for the everyday skier if they maintain their bases on the daily (using his tool).

Interesting claim. Toni Sailer ski ad from late 60's stated their ski's transformed ice into powder. Okay, let's see how that works. Never applying wax to my ski's feels like 40k miles between oil changes.

OTOH no wax is better than the wrong wax.

Sharpen Without Waxing

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Interesting claim. Toni Sailer ski ad from late 60's stated their ski's transformed ice into powder. Okay, let's see how that works. Never applying wax to my ski's feels like 40k miles between oil changes.
    He discusses a bit here in the dialog and in the video comments. It’s a theme throughout his ski tuning videos.

https://youtu.be/IGmHz9pTfvE

What if I just Scotch Guard it? I'm thinking super fast. Uper fast. Bigly.
    No longer stuck.

Zardoz!

Queue gif of sledding scene from Christmas Vacation
    No longer stuck.

Rain X

Gonna de burr some edges without waxing. I may die, but at least I really lived.
    No longer stuck.

You'll die doing what you love so, there's that.