KILAUEA ERUPTION

Normally this would make the news

lost an hr of my life last night digging into volcanoes, down the rabbit hole. mindless fascination, good break from reality.

Volcanoes aren't real? Damn they had me going with that one.

I have a childhood memory (1993, I think) of a vacation to Hawaii where my family and I walked down a paved road that then got covered up by a lava flow. We walked around on the hardened lava and there were multiple spots of creeping and bubbling lava with wide circles of people around, but who knows if this was safe. Seems like there could be hollow spots to fall through, or hot, flowing lava underneath. I remember the lava being HOT from very far away. The hardened, black lava was also quite hot and melted some people's shoes. My cousin got some little burns by some spatter from the active lava. My dad has the photos somewhere.

Looking back, it feels like it was dumb to be that close, but it's still a fond memory, being that close to flowing lava. I wonder if that's a common occurrence in Hawaii.

We visited HVNP in 2016. The lava glow at night was pretty trippy.
    It's a beautiful area - I really want to get back there, especially to climb Mauna Loa.
    Sounds like all activity is limited to the summit and no changes are detected along the rift zones toward Pahoa.
    Good page that shows how the summit has changed since 2018: https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/thr...halemaumau.htm

Trippy lava flow at night, for reelz

Anybody on here a volcanologist? I always thought that be a great way to spend your 9-5. Hiking and skinning up volcanoes. Collecting rocks. Watching things blow up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Anybody on here a volcanologist? I always thought that be a great way to spend your 9-5. Hiking and skinning up volcanoes. Collecting rocks. Watching things blow up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not sure about that

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

[QUOTE=nickwm21;6776950]Anybody on here a volcanologist? I always thought that be a great way to spend your 9-5. Hiking and skinning up volcanoes. Collecting rocks. Watching things blow up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums[/QUOTE

Glaciology is better. Hike up. Take core samples. Ski down.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    We walked around on the hardened lava and there were multiple spots of creeping and bubbling lava with wide circles of people around, but who knows if this was safe.
    Icelanders had to deal with 'Merikan tourists visiting their volcano recently. They came up with this ... Don't Walk On The Lava T-Shirt – rvkgrapevine

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    Icelanders had to deal with 'Merikan tourists visiting their volcano recently. They came up with this ... Don't Walk On The Lava T-Shirt – rvkgrapevine
    Weak. I'd have designed one that incorporated a guy with a peg leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Not sure about that

Yeah, that doc will scare you away from that career for sure.

This Scott guy posts some good Kilauea videos. Has a deep library of the 2018 eruption too. And some Mauna Loa stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/apauhawaiitours/videos