MPFL reconstruction and TTO

So, at 33 years old, out of shape from a couple pregnancies, the Mrs subluxated a patella while changing from ski to walk mode during a mellow tour two seasons ago.

She rehabbed over the summer and then went under the knife for a lateral release procedure and minor cleanup of beat up cartilage. That was a little over a year ago now.

She has done the rehab and is still going to PT, but the patella won't even stay put enough for her to ramp up the PT. She has minor subluxations doing shit as basic as unweighted leg extensions. She was back to very mellow MTB this fall, but she still has a limp, can't go up and down stairs smoothly, etc. Skiing this season seems like a non-starter. She is really bummed out - she's as much of a skier as anyone on here, and she's staring down season 2 with no skis on snow. We've got two little kids, she can't get through a real workout to regain some fitness because the knee feels so unstable, and she can barely gimp up and down the stairs. It's a clusterfuck.

Both her original surgeon and a second opinion have recommended MPFL reconstruction and a TTO osteotomy to go along with it, pending a new round of imaging. Recovery sounds like a bastard and the medical literature that I've been able to digest makes it sound like the situations when the osteotomy is helpful on top of the MPFL reconstruction are not obvious. And it makes the recovery and return to sport very slow.

Has anyone here had this procedure done and returned to skiing? Has anyone had any other procedure done to address chronic patella instability? I guess I'm looking for advice and any light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nothing to offer but vibes, that's awful. Who's her surgeon? Can't recommend the RCM clinic at the PC Hospital enough after AC's TKR last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Nothing to offer but vibes, that's awful. Who's her surgeon? Can't recommend the RCM clinic at the PC Hospital enough after AC's TKR last year.
    Her surgeon for the clean up and lateral release procedure was Lind at RCM. They seem like a good practice and I don't think he fucked up the procedure or anything. It just didn't fix the problem.

Her second opinion was Wylie at TOSH. He also seems like a good guy who knows his shit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MPFL reconstruction and TTO

SSA how’s the Mrs coming along? Did she go through with the surgery?

I realize this threads a year old, but wanted to throw in that I had a MPFL replacement with cadaverous tissue, as well as the tibial tuberosity transfer procedure when I was 18. Basically had all the same symptoms as she had. Im mid 30s now and it’s just now starting to give me issues, so I had a good couple decade run of it.