Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 105
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,710

    Used car pricing these days

    I've seen articles that used car prices have been higher than usual during Covid, attributed to people needing cars but not being able to buy new, or simply conserving by spending less. NADA, KBB, Edmunds type pricing seems a little high, but still much, much less than what I see listings for on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, Autotrader.

    Are used cars really selling at those higher prices?

    We're going to be selling Mrs C's Xterra soon so I'm researching pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    14,665
    I have been looking at cars for awhile and last March was the low. By July they were much higher and over the last month or so they have started to soften again. I hope to buy in March if they are lower. GLWTS
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    640
    Yes!! Used car prices tanked for about 6 weeks in April (think Hertz bankruptcy) but came roaring back in May. I was looking at 2017 f150s at Manheim and prices moved a ton. Less cars were built during covid and buying shiny new cars became a little less desirable.

    I would assume prices will settle down eventually when demand slows....

    Bobby can weigh in.

    https://www.coxautoinc.com/news/desp...r-record-high/

    Shit you wanna hear something fucking nuts, I sold 2 year old boat for more than I paid for it new back when everyone wanted a boat.

    I guess the two best days of owning a boat are owning it and selling it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    603
    I was in the market for little truck and found one in Florida which was 4-5K cheaper than comparable in Utah. Luckily we went on our vacation there and I was able to pick it up and drove back. It will largely depend on the specific car and area where you're looking for.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,710
    For clarification, I'm not looking to buy a used car currently - but will be selling one soon.

    If Craigslist and Autotrader pricing is suggestive of actual sales pricing (what buyers actually paid, approximately), that indicates I should be able to sell a 2010 Xterra with 180K miles for $6500-7000 without too much difficulty. Which seems nuts to me. We only paid $19K for it in 2012, with about 33K on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    23,389
    Where have you gone, Bobby Stainless, our forum turns its lonely eyes to you...
    I still call it The Jake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,542
    Nice Simon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Are used cars really selling at those higher prices?
    Yeah. It's kind of bonkers what used cars have been going for, although I'd argue that's been a trend ever since "Cars for Clunkers" took so many used cars out of the picture. I do miss the good old days when you could get a decent, reliable little beater for a few hundred bucks or a much nicer car for a couple grand. Now people are wanting SO much money for old POS's with like 200K. Unless it's European. Then it's worthless, like my old Volvo or Audi. Good reason for that tho. Haha.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    6,214
    Got seemingly ludicrous money out of the dealer on the trade-in for Mrs Cruiser's new car a couple months ago. I was blown away. This car was rough. Multiple accidents, bunch of little kids mess in the interior, needed a windshield, needed some recall work. And yet they still paid out really good money for it and appeared to sell it for a nice profit fairly quickly. Crazy...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I was in the market for little truck and found one in Florida which was 4-5K cheaper than comparable in Utah. Luckily we went on our vacation there and I was able to pick it up and drove back. It will largely depend on the specific car and area where you're looking for.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yup, cars back east tend to sell for lower prices. Overtime I have shipped cars to CA from Wisconsin, NJ and Florida because the prices were so much better on a 3 year old car it made sense to buy sight unseen. Same as it ever was.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. It's kind of bonkers what used cars have been going for, although I'd argue that's been a trend ever since "Cars for Clunkers" took so many used cars out of the picture. I do miss the good old days when you could get a decent, reliable little beater for a few hundred bucks or a much nicer car for a couple grand. Now people are wanting SO much money for old POS's with like 200K. Unless it's European. Then it's worthless, like my old Volvo or Audi. Good reason for that tho. Haha.
    You have not been able to buy anything considered reliable or anything remotely decent for "a couple hundred bucks" since the 70's.

    Average new car sales price in 2020 was over 40k, that right there is why your 11 year old xterra is worth 6500. I'd probably list it for 8 if it shines up pretty nice.
    Live Free or Die

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You have not been able to buy anything considered reliable or anything remotely decent for "a couple hundred bucks" since the 70's.
    I'd disagree. My experiences in the late 90s, early 00's were to the contrary. Once, I bought a Subaru GL w/ AWD in PERFECT shape for $150. I literally bought it for off-road jackassery as it was far cheaper than a go-kart at the time. Was a freaking hoot. Back in high school (mid to late 90s), I had a Toyota Supra and later a Mazda RX-7. Many of my high school buddies also had some REALLY fun cars, like RWD Toyota Celica GT-S's and Corolla AE86's Nissan 240SX's, 200SX turbos, 280/300Z's. None of us spent more than like $2000. Even had a buddy with a Subaru SVX he somehow found for dirt cheap. I bought a 3 or 4 year old Mazda 626 right after high school in beautiful shape for about $3000.

    Back then, you could literally work a summer job or part time gig and save up enough cash for a great car within a few months. Those times are over sadly.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    A perfect car for $150 in the late 90's? No way, that is lower than scrap value.

    A car that runs and drives has an inherent value well above the average monthly electricity payment, or a week's groceries.

    I bought a mini truck for 400 once, it had massive oil blow by and needed 4 tires, ball joints, and the interior was a crime scene. It ran though, but I wouldn't call it perfect.
    Live Free or Die

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,710
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

    Average new car sales price in 2020 was over 40k, that right there is why your 11 year old xterra is worth 6500. I'd probably list it for 8 if it shines up pretty nice.
    I'm thinking it's a mix of new car price creep and Covid belt-tightening. I've been casually shopping for a replacement truck for about two years and prices are increasing during that time, while the truck I'm shopping for is just getting older - so it should be getting cheaper, not more expensive. (A 2011-2016 Ford, so not like it's a classic that's appreciating in value.) A new version of that truck will be $50K+, and I'm not willing to pay that much for something I don't need all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    That does seem nuts that a 2011 f150 would currently be appreciating. Construction and the trades have been gangbusters recently so I'm guessing that might be part of what is driving the market there also.
    Live Free or Die

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,710
    I'm looking for F250/F350, which seem to be holding higher pricing. Seeing stupid things like 100K+ mile trucks from 2013 for $30-35K.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,912
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm looking for F250/F350, which seem to be holding higher pricing. Seeing stupid things like 100K+ mile trucks from 2013 for $30-35K.
    The full size truck market in particular is just dumb, and its definitely driven in part by what a new truck costs. I'd like to swap out my f150 for the same truck you are shopping for, and have watched the prices increase like you have over the past year. $20k or more for a used work truck with 100k? Silly. But when a new, basic truck costs what they do, it drives the used ones higher.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    640
    we ended up paying 31.5k in may for a mint 2017 f150 crew cab 4wd XLT + options with like 20k miles. We were hoping to pay 27k in early april......

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    Doesn't help your drywall guy can write off the entire nut on his taxes and doesn't have to depreciation schedule it out over years now either. That's at least 10k in his pocket on a 50k truck.
    Live Free or Die

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    363
    I think it is regional to some extent.

    Bought Mrs. Utagonian a new car a couple months ago. MSRP was about $55K. I offered the dealer $25K cash plus her old car and they said no. I put the car on KSL for $35K and got a few "is your car still available" but nothing serious. After a couple weeks of that, I put it on fleabay for $35K and it sold for full price to a dealer in Chicago in under an hour. With shipping and all, he has to be expecting to get $40+ for it.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    4,942
    I did the buy/sell thing in August. I got the dealer trade in price (6.5k) , listed it for 8k online, and had cash in hand in less than 12 hours. Seems like the clean mid-priced commuter type vehicle is in high demand
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    3,522
    Used car prices are nuts right now.

    Any vehicle that remotely relates to the outdoors enjoys a nice premium. Trucks to haul campers, tow trailers, boats, and gear command more money. SUVs for the overlanding bros is a premium. #Vanlife - 'nuff said. Even the Subaru and Audi wagons are high priced because you can get out in them. A friend just bought a brand new Tacoma - of which are in very short supply due to both lower production volumes and high demand - can turn around and sell it for more than he bought it for, which was MSRP. My 223k V8 4Runner could sell tomorrow for $16k, and that's before I take into account the lift, tires, brakes, suspension, and other bits on it.

    A rising tide raises all boats.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    A perfect car for $150 in the late 90's? No way, that is lower than scrap value.
    Tis true. Wanna know what makes it even more nuts? I bought it from a Porsche dealer. Found it sitting on their back lot one morning in their trade-in section. Asked the manager how much he wanted. He said it just got traded in that morning for a new 911 Turbo, and he'd be happy to just get what they paid for it ($150) and not bother with the hassle of wholesaling it to auction or anything. So, I ran to an ATM, grabbed some cash and drove away with my lovely 80s yellow-tan (super fugly color actually) Subaru. Man, I dogged the crap out of that car and took it to about 200K. Good times. Loved that little turd.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,456
    I've got an 04 Lexus GX470 that I bought 5 years ago for 14k with 90k miles. I've since put about 40k miles on it and I bet I could sell it today for more than I paid. Outside of gas and a couple oil changes, I've put 220 bucks into it for a rear coil spring conversion. The 4.7 Toyota v8 is the new 22RE in terms of reliability reputation and you will get paid.
    Live Free or Die

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Used car prices are nuts right now.

    Any vehicle that remotely relates to the outdoors enjoys a nice premium. Trucks to haul campers, tow trailers, boats, and gear command more money. SUVs for the overlanding bros is a premium. #Vanlife - 'nuff said. Even the Subaru and Audi wagons are high priced because you can get out in them. A friend just bought a brand new Tacoma - of which are in very short supply due to both lower production volumes and high demand - can turn around and sell it for more than he bought it for, which was MSRP. My 223k V8 4Runner could sell tomorrow for $16k, and that's before I take into account the lift, tires, brakes, suspension, and other bits on it.

    A rising tide raises all boats.
    Yup. Very true observation. Seems the best "deals" these days, at least in my area, are beater mini-vans and mid-size sedans. I'm not opposed to the beat up minivan where each quarter panel's a different color route for my next whip. Haha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •