Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    LVS did something similar jumping from recent new taco to tundra and did very well he said.
    The best way to do private sales imo is definitely in the bank. I don’t sign title over until it’s be deposited into my bank and they’re good with the check. Discuss a plan to fund it safely right along with your price negotiations. No straight person will object to reasonable bank involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm also more and more convinced BAT is a money laundering scheme.
    OMG. You HAVE to be onto something. Above I was talking about an old ass Jetta GLI going for nearly 20K (ended up selling for $18K), but I always chalked it up to unrestrained nostalgia. What you're thinking makes WAY more sense. This is what I was talking about: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...tta-gli-16v-3/ Plenty more absurd examples like it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So I'm going Friday to pick up a 2021 RAV4 hybrid, AWD, with a few options. Pricing came to a little over invoice, so I'm happy enough with that.
    I recall you were considering a Prime. What steered you toward the traditional hybrid?

I didn't see that one but that is crazy for some crappy Jetta.

There was a K5 Blazer with just a basic 350 in it, albeit in perfect shape, that went for 300k+ a month or two back. That is straight crazy talk as you could restore any of the thousands of others out there for maybe 100k.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I sold my wife’s Outback for double what the dealer offered us for trade in a few months ago.

Wondering what I’d get for my 2020 Taco. It is kind of a unicorn. Manual, double cab, off-road. Love the truck but feel like I’ll need a full size truck for summer and camping. Regretting the short bed mostly.

ETA: KBB says it is worth about what I paid last March a week before the shutdown. Hmm.

Also, what is the best way to sell a new vehicle? Dealers lowball me, but selling to a private party and handling ~$40K seems sketchy. I was emailing with a dealer and they offered $10K less than KBB for my trade in and were asking retail for a new Tundra. I specifically told the guy to shove it right up his ass.
    Be honest with yourself; do you really need a full-size truck? Or is it a nice-to-have.

With the exception of Toyotas, most other full-size truck OEMs have an unpleasant depreciation curve. And they are damn expensive now, too. And there are the added fuel and insurance costs over your Tacoma. Your unicorn will hold its value to a confounding level. And with some reasonably priced hauling or storage solutions, you can take what you need and enjoy a smaller vehicle.
    I stated this earlier - and I'm in this camp - most people that think they need a full-size truck really could get by with a mid-sized truck, like your Tacoma. Or even a Ridgeline. For about 80% of the truck things I do, it could be done in a Tacoma or Ridgeline.

the Tacoma purchase is a no brainer far as i was concerned, nothing goes back there but bikes and skis, if I need more truck I would just trade in the Taco to buy more truck at that time

I recentley sold an old boler like FG camping trailer using e-transfer

standing there in the driveway the guy and his GF each sent me half the purchase price on their phones and the confirmation e-mail was on my phone in about 30 sec's

I think there are low limits on what you can send by e-mail but it was only 3600$ they were transfering
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, the need for the full size I due to wanting a slide in camper w/ a gear trailer behind or a moto on the hitch. Tacoma with a FWC just isn’t capable enough no matter what suspension adjustments I add. Also I want to be able to take it on a ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah, the need for the full size I due to wanting a slide in camper w/ a gear trailer behind or a moto on the hitch. Tacoma with a FWC just isn’t capable enough no matter what suspension adjustments I add. Also I want to be able to take it on a ferry.
    Head on over the RV sleeping in parking lots thread. Lots of good info in there. I tried going down the half-ton-with-a-camper route and invariably, you'll end up with a three-quarter or one-ton truck. And then you'll wish you still hade the Tacoma when you drive it unladen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Be honest with yourself; do you really need a full-size truck? Or is it a nice-to-have.

With the exception of Toyotas, most other full-size truck OEMs have an unpleasant depreciation curve. And they are damn expensive now, too. And there are the added fuel and insurance costs over your Tacoma. Your unicorn will hold its value to a confounding level. And with some reasonably priced hauling or storage solutions, you can take what you need and enjoy a smaller vehicle.
    I stated this earlier - and I'm in this camp - most people that think they need a full-size truck really could get by with a mid-sized truck, like your Tacoma. Or even a Ridgeline. For about 80% of the truck things I do, it could be done in a Tacoma or Ridgeline.
    These are all entirely reasonable points, but lets be honest, short beds suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip> lets be honest, short beds suck.
    This.

But I'd add: most people that think they need a full size truck really could get by with a minivan.

But trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But I'd add: most people that think they need a full size truck really could get by with a minivan.
    Can't sling bikes over the tailgate of a minivan. Though, tailgates on late-model trucks are so thick they've pretty much ruined them for this purpose. Good thing I drive an '02

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I recall you were considering a Prime. What steered you toward the traditional hybrid?
    Mrs C needs the replacement vehicle first, and the Prime ones that are available now all have ridiculous dealer markups. Lowest I saw on Autotrader was about $3500 over MSRP. Many were much higher markup, like upper $50K, even over $60K. For a RAV4, that's insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Can't sling bikes over the tailgate of a minivan. Though, tailgates on late-model trucks are so thick they've pretty much ruined them for this purpose. Good thing I drive an '02
    Shit - with as long as some of the stupid modern mt bikes have gotten (looking straight at long-travel 29'ers), they almost won't fit in a short-bed pickup over the tailgate.

No, you just put the whole bike in with the seats folded or removed using a $5 tarp on the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Mrs C needs the replacement vehicle first, and the Prime ones that are available now all have ridiculous dealer markups. Lowest I saw on Autotrader was about $3500 over MSRP. Many were much higher markup, like upper $50K, even over $60K. For a RAV4, that's insane.
    Even dealers are adding the Toyota tax. No Primes on the lot here. I want to drive one.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    No, you just put the whole bike in with the seats folded or removed using a $5 tarp on the carpet.
    It's not uncommon for me to have 6-7 bikes back there.

Even dealers are adding the Toyota tax. No Primes on the lot here. I want to drive one.
    Yeah, those were all dealers' listings way over MSRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My enduro bike easily fits in the taco, cable & lock to the D-ring, lock the gate & lock the canopy but just me of course

if you wana carry 6 bikes one them narth shore racks is the shit and I see them everywhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Having owned a Taco, Frontier, and a Tundra, there is no way I'd ever get a mid size ever again.

Same gas mileage, not nearly as capable, and the Taco's ergonomics were atrocious. I do tow a 6000 pound boat trailer combo 4-5k miles a year which technically they all can do but both the Frontier and Taco struggled hard towing anything over like 3k. The rear suspension is just soft.

They are great for the mtb crowd though if that's all you do. You can't even put a sheet of plywood in the mid-sizers though and that is just annoying.
    Live Free or Die

$5k truck with $50k worth of bikes?
    Maybe not quite $50k, but way more than the truck is worth for sure (though it is damn clean and low miles for an '02).

#priorities

These are all entirely reasonable points, but lets be honest, short beds suck.
    They will might, but Toyota, Ford, and the others are selling shit piles of trucks with short beds. They can't suck that much...

Or people aren't doing truck things with their shortbed trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This.

But trucks.

Precisely. lol

Having owned a Taco, Frontier, and a Tundra, there is no way I'd ever get a mid size ever again.

Same gas mileage, not nearly as capable, and the Taco's ergonomics were atrocious. I do tow a 6000 pound boat trailer combo 4-5k miles a year which technically they all can do but both the Frontier and Taco struggled hard towing anything over like 3k. The rear suspension is just soft.

They are great for the mtb crowd though if that's all you do. You can't even put a sheet of plywood in the mid-sizers though and that is just annoying.
    And that's why the truck-drivin' baby Jesus gave us full-size trucks. Your need for a truck makes sense. Though the majority of truck owners aren't doing so like you.

Even then, how often are people really hauling a sheet of plywood? I see that argument all the time.

Maybe not quite $50k, but way more than the truck is worth for sure (though it is damn clean and low miles for an '02).

#priorities
    Word. What truck did you end up with? You were looking for an OBS Ford for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    They will might, but Toyota, Ford, and the others are selling shit piles of trucks with short beds. They can't suck that much...

Or people aren't doing truck things with their shortbed trucks.

Precisely. lol

And that's why the truck-drivin' baby Jesus gave us full-size trucks. Your need for a truck makes sense. Though the majority of truck owners aren't doing so like you.

Even then, how often are people really hauling a sheet of plywood? I see that argument all the time.
    All the time. Any homeowner could find a reason for a full size pickup every weekend if their budget allowed and they let their wife really run up the honey do list. That started me down the truck journey, the boat came later.

The sheet of plywood is just an example. A washer and dryer combo wouldn't fit in the 5' bed of my Frontier, which was its death kneel for me. Plus the full sizers have better power and are much more enjoyable to drive. That's a want sure, but life is short.
    Live Free or Die

My thing is I already had a full size truck before the Tacoma. So now I’m missing the space and hauling capacity. I could definitely use it. Between work, camping, home improvement shit, and hauling bikes and motorcycles around, the Tacoma short bed is definitely lacking for me personally and I don’t think a longbed Taco would be much better.

Back on topic, I could keep the Tacoma and just buy an older full size long bed for a camper. That’s probably what I’ll end up with by this summer.

All the time. Any homeowner could find a reason for a full size pickup every weekend if their budget allowed and they let their wife really run up the honey do list. That started me down the truck journey, the boat came later.

The sheet of plywood is just an example. A washer and dryer combo wouldn't fit in the 5' bed of my Frontier, which was its death kneel for me. Plus the full sizers have better power and are much more enjoyable to drive. That's a want sure, but life is short.
    As a homeowner, I've rarely used my truck for honey-do things. You can hire for that.