Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I do like the way the Kryptons ski. Seems the new version has what I'm looking for.

My gripes with the krypton have been the aforementioned cuff fit. Basically the radius of the tongues narrow and I can't pull it fully flush with the cuff. This leaves a small gap which I suppose could be filled by a shim. Other problems have been a dead toenail on my left foot since I started using them as well as a couple of ankle injuries/ aggravations when the boot suspension bottoms out- that I chalk up to a packed out power wrap. I'm 6'4 #200 and they are plenty stout for me expect for these rare occurrences when the just bottom out- maybe the lower cuff is blowing out? Does this happen when the plastic fatigues?

Probably a dumbass question, but how are people getting instep heights with this app? I'm just getting foot length and heel/foot widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Probably a dumbass question, but how are people getting instep heights with this app? I'm just getting foot length and heel/foot widths.
    You can't see instep heights on your phone as a consumer, but I have a business intelligence version that shows it. If you want to know your numbers, share your data with me using the last QR code in this thread.

Greg, I think your incorrect about the krypton 130 TI missing heel inserts. They are clearly there on the dalbello website.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Greg, I think your incorrect about the krypton 130 TI missing heel inserts. They are clearly there on the dalbello website.

It's possible. I saw one in the Dalbello showroom last spring with only toe inserts (Chakra, too). Haven't gotten in any production boots to check out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You can't see instep heights on your phone as a consumer, but I have a business intelligence version that shows it. If you want to know your numbers, share your data with me using the last QR code in this thread.
    That would explain that. I actually think I shared my data with you while playing with the app (the more data the merrier, right?). Initials: T.T.

That would explain that. I actually think I shared my data with you while playing with the app (the more data the merrier, right?). Initials: T.T.
    TT instep: left 70mm, right 72mm . . . well within the normal range for a 27.5 foot.

TT instep: left 70mm, right 72mm . . . well within the normal range for a 27.5 foot.
    Brilliant. I'm in a set of 27.5 S/Pro boots currently and have been futzing with the idea of sizing down. Literally standing in line for the Wonderland/Cripple Creek AT consignment sale currently eyeing their boot selection.

(It should go without saying, but thank you for the info!)

(It should go without saying, but thank you for the info!)
    I think I would narrower before you go shorter. Your midfoot/ankle is on the slim side, you just need to make the forefoot wide enough. Think S/Max, Atomic Hawx Ultra, Lange RX LV, Tecnica Mach 1 LV, etc. . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	390028

This is a homies foot.

He's been skiing in 27.5 boots for quite some time now and just bought a pair of new FTs (evo shell, 102mm last) in a 25.5 from a ski swap.

He's actually a really good skier.. surprised he was skiing in such a big boot all these years.. but I guess his foot was so wide, he was always "locked" in place. He has really big calves/lower legs too, and wasn't able to fit into all boots smaller than a 27.5

Evo FT because he was used to 3 piece boot, needs wide last, and they came with a tongue liner instead of wrap giving his calf/lower leg an easier time fitting in the boot.

I tried to get him to go for a 24.5, but he was hesitant and none were available to try on anyways.. anyone deal with a foot similar to his and have success with a certain boot?

Even if this isn't his "perfect boot", it's going to be much better than what he was previously in.

I think I would narrower before you go shorter. Your midfoot/ankle is on the slim side, you just need to make the forefoot wide enough. Think S/Max, Atomic Hawx Ultra, Lange RX LV, Tecnica Mach 1 LV, etc. . . .
    I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	390028

This is a homies foot.

He's been skiing in 27.5 boots for quite some time now and just bought a pair of new FTs (evo shell, 102mm last) in a 25.5 from a ski swap.

He's actually a really good skier.. surprised he was skiing in such a big boot all these years.. but I guess his foot was so wide, he was always "locked" in place. He has really big calves/lower legs too, and wasn't able to fit into all boots smaller than a 27.5

Evo FT because he was used to 3 piece boot, needs wide last, and they came with a tongue liner instead of wrap giving his calf/lower leg an easier time fitting in the boot.

I tried to get him to go for a 24.5, but he was hesitant and none were available to try on anyways.. anyone deal with a foot similar to his and have success with a certain boot?

Even if this isn't his "perfect boot", it's going to be much better than what he was previously in.
    102mm Full Tilt isn't a bad call, but I would go with the 24.5 and get the forefoot punched wider (need access to decent bootfitting). I put a guy with a 122mm foot (27.5, though) in a Dalbello Panterra 130 yesterday with massive punches on the lateral side and first met bunion punches on the medial . . .

102mm Full Tilt isn't a bad call, but I would go with the 24.5 and get the forefoot punched wider (need access to decent bootfitting). I put a guy with a 122mm foot (27.5, though) in a Dalbello Panterra 130 yesterday with massive punches on the lateral side and first met bunion punches on the medial . . .
    I will try to convince him to go 24.5 w boot work. Out of curiosity, how much can a shell be stretched just via heat mold? I would assume his right boot would be pretty close to okay with a heat mold, but the left boot would need the forefoot punch.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much can a shell be stretched just via heat mold?
    You mean just putting the shell in the oven for 8-10 minutes? Depends on the boot. With a Full Tilt, not much. With an Atomic Memory Fit boot and a hot oven for 9 minutes, quite a bit - Atomic says 6mm but I think you can get more (they recommend a shorter bake time, but you can go 10 minutes without issue). At 12 minutes the bootboards start to curl. It's always a good idea to have a lever punch option in case the heat mold isn't enough.

Just wanted to say thank you again and you were spot on. Took my boots back in, got a different guy, ended up getting a fit guarantee store credit, and now have a set of Hawx Ultras. Mindbenders seemed pretty decent too, but the heel held just a touch better with the Atomics.

Greg, I tried to scan and share with you. PG inials. In a 26.5 boot my whole life which seems to be fine. Curious on 100 vs 97/98 last boot. Usually I go LV but have suffered from numbness and having to unbuckle on the lift in just about every pair of boots ive owned (instep height?) I have a good connection for some Hawx Primes but wondering if the Ultra would be a better fit for me.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    Greg, I tried to scan and share with you. PG inials. In a 26.5 boot my whole life which seems to be fine. Curious on 100 vs 97/98 last boot. Usually I go LV but have suffered from numbness and having to unbuckle on the lift in just about every pair of boots ive owned (instep height?) I have a good connection for some Hawx Primes but wondering if the Ultra would be a better fit for me.

Thanks for the input!
    Go with the Hawx Ultra for sure (the Prime is much more voluminous, you will be swimming in it) - My foot is 1mm shorter and much wider (117--121 on the scans) and I'm in a 26.5 Ultra. Your instep is on the high end of the "normal" range at 71mm, but if you heat mold the Hawx Ultra with some foam over the problem area it should take care of it. I go longer than Atomic recommends; 10 minutes with a cold oven, 8 minutes with a pre-heated one. Don't go longer than 11 minutes or so, the bootboards start to curl at the toe.

General numbness is usually a sign of instep pressure - what boots were those? FWIW, the brands that featured low insteps in the past (e.g. Lange, Salomon) have gradually raised their instep heights over the years - they came to the realization that people tend not to buy boots that crush their instep in the shop, and too many bootfitters didn't know how to fix the problem.

Go with the Hawx Ultra for sure (the Prime is much more voluminous, you will be swimming in it) - My foot is 1mm shorter and much wider (117--121 on the scans) and I'm in a 26.5 Ultra. Your instep is on the high end of the "normal" range at 71mm, but if you heat mold the Hawx Ultra with some foam over the problem area it should take care of it. I go longer than Atomic recommends; 10 minutes with a cold oven, 8 minutes with a pre-heated one. Don't go longer than 11 minutes or so, the bootboards start to curl at the toe.

General numbness is usually a sign of instep pressure - what boots were those? FWIW, the brands that featured low insteps in the past (e.g. Lange, Salomon) have gradually raised their instep heights over the years - they came to the realization that people tend not to buy boots that crush their instep in the shop, and too many bootfitters didn't know how to fix the problem.
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I was always told when I was younger that I had a “lange foot”. Last fitting was into K2 pinnacles and they have always had some issues as well.

I was told last year getting some work done on my pinnacles that a Nordica Promachine would be a great fit for my foot? I’m guessing most other low volumes current generations will also work with some possible instep work?

Thanks again! Very cool to be using real data to give some remote advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I was always told when I was younger that I had a “lange foot”. Last fitting was into K2 pinnacles and they have always had some issues as well.

I was told last year getting some work done on my pinnacles that a Nordica Promachine would be a great fit for my foot? I’m guessing most other low volumes current generations will also work with some possible instep work?

Thanks again! Very cool to be using real data to give some remote advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The right bootfitter could make any of those work, but you need the right skill and tool sets. Best out-of-the-box matchup for narrow foot/tall instep is Atomic Hawx Ultra or Dalbello Krypton 98mm, but average instep boots with a thick and grindable bootboard can be adjusted easily as well (Pro Machine and Salomon S-Max fit this description).

The old myths about having a "Lange" foot or a "Nordica" foot (or any other brand) are pretty much useless now, every company has 3 or 4 different lasts. Pick the right volume and have your bootfitter fix the problem spots. The guy who recommended the Pro Machine probably had 20 pairs sitting on a shelf he needed to sell.

Not having much luck getting instep height on the Verifyt app. Emailed you the models.

Currently in an old Scott Superguide (Cosmos) and Lange RS130, both 25.5 and not really happy with either. (And both are seriously due for an upgrade)

Fischer dims are more accurate to what I measure on a Brannock.

Name:	FootApp1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	392413

Name:	Footapp2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	392414

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Not having much luck getting instep height on the Verifyt app. Emailed you the models.

Currently in an old Scott Superguide (Cosmos) and Lange RS130, both 25.5 and not really happy with either. (And both are seriously due for an upgrade)

I'll take a look tomorrow, I'm at work today with a full slate of appointments. You can't see instep height on your phone, but I see it on the Business Intelligence app at home.

Name:	IMG_1753.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	392479

Current Boots:
    Lange SX130 26.5
    Black Diamond Method 26.5
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post

Name:	FootApp1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	392413

Name:	Footapp2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	392414
    Instep heights are 75mm left, 81mm right on Verifyt.

Average for 26.5 foot is approximately 65-70mm (25.5 foot is normally 63-68mm), so you are definitely well above average.

What don't you like about your current boots?

The flex on the superguides is stated to be 125 but skis more like an 80. They both give me instep pressure. Seems like hawx prime 130 + heat molding shell is probably my best bet