Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DerKommissar View Post
    GregL- Thanks for the help! After reading your posts, I went back to my local shop and was able to find a more experienced fitter and talk about my issues. We're going to work on expanding the instep area with tape foam at home first, then heat mold when we get closer to the season. He also showed me a better way to get into the boots (buckle starting from the top rather than the bottom, and to micro adjust the instep buckle for a bit more room) which seemed to help a bit. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make it work now.
    You would save yourself a lot of discomfort if you heat molded first, but maybe location plays a role. That's why my brother-in-law moved from St. Louis to Switzerland, come to think of it. When you buckle the boot, start with the ankle buckle (2nd from the top), then the top, then usually you need to go one notch tighter in the ankle (flex into the boot to push your heel all the way into the heel pocket). Do the bottom buckles last; if the fit is decent, the instep and toe buckles can be fairly loose as long as water doesn't get into the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You would save yourself a lot of discomfort if you heat molded first, but maybe location plays a role. That's why my brother-in-law moved from St. Louis to Switzerland, come to think of it. When you buckle the boot, start with the ankle buckle (2nd from the top), then the top, then usually you need to go one notch tighter in the ankle (flex into the boot to push your heel all the way into the heel pocket). Do the bottom buckles last; if the fit is decent, the instep and toe buckles can be fairly loose as long as water doesn't get into the shell.
    I think it's mostly an issue of the ski section being mostly shut down. Down here, the bike section is permanent, but the ski section swaps with watersports by now. I appreciate them being willing to work with me without buying from them, but I expect that is common given the kind of pricing that being the only ski shop in a large town can drive. If it's crazy tight with the foam I'll just go ahead and bring the boots in. Thanks again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	414382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	414383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	414384

Very cool app! It took about 10 tries but it finally worked for me (it always failed when 'calculating model' or whatever the last step is).

Fairly low instep/ankle/heel volume relative to my foot length I think. I've struggled over the years to get a boot that holds my foot well and have just been living with having a bit of space in front of my ankle/top of foot and a bit of heel slop. I'm currently in the original Hawx ultra 130, 28.5, Pro Tour liner (both shell and liner heat molded), bontex board under each foot (not sure how thick), a few pads around my right heel and the fit is...passable. No pain after punching for width on my right mid-foot but my foot definitely shifts around in there in rough/choppy terrain (heel room, front of ankle room).

I'm currently looking for boots...any suggestions on a beefy-ish touring boot that would fit me? I've heard the Hoji Free has a fairly low instep, but haven't been able to slide my foot in one yet. The dream is a one boot quiver for resort/touring (I'm about 75/25 touring/resort), but I'm starting to think I need resort specific boots. All of the 'beefy' touring boots I've ridden fold over when going mach chicken in rough terrain (OG cochise, 2 version of cochise pro 130, hawx 130) but that could be because of the room in front of my ankle...? I'm no bootfitter, just guessing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edit: GregL I think I sent you my data...initials are MD. The QR scanner didn't seem like it was working, but I got a 'connected to evo' message.
    Last edited by billyhoyle; 04-25-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post

Name:	left.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	414382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	414383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	414384

Very cool app! It took about 10 tries but it finally worked for me (it always failed when 'calculating model' or whatever the last step is).

Fairly low instep/ankle/heel volume relative to my foot length I think. I've struggled over the years to get a boot that holds my foot well and have just been living with having a bit of space in front of my ankle/top of foot and a bit of heel slop. I'm currently in the original Hawx ultra 130, 28.5, Pro Tour liner (both shell and liner heat molded), bontex board under each foot (not sure how thick), a few pads around my right heel and the fit is...passable. No pain after punching for width on my right mid-foot but my foot definitely shifts around in there in rough/choppy terrain (heel room, front of ankle room).

I'm currently looking for boots...any suggestions on a beefy-ish touring boot that would fit me? I've heard the Hoji Free has a fairly low instep, but haven't been able to slide my foot in one yet. The dream is a one boot quiver for resort/touring (I'm about 75/25 touring/resort), but I'm starting to think I need resort specific boots. All of the 'beefy' touring boots I've ridden fold over when going mach chicken in rough terrain (OG cochise, 2 version of cochise pro 130, hawx 130) but that could be because of the room in front of my ankle...? I'm no bootfitter, just guessing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edit: GregL I think I sent you my data...initials are MD, email is don****_****ael@hotmail.com. The QR scanner didn't seem like it was working, but I got a 'connected to evo' message.
    Found it. I don't think you'll find a better hybrid solution than the Hawx Ultra XTD, simply because of your extremely narrow ankle/heel. At the moment the best way to get better heel retention in that boot is an aftermarket liner like the Zipfit GFT, but it's expensive and heavy. If you wait a bit, a solution may be on the way from Atomic.

As for resort boots, the smallest circumference ankle fit is also the Hawx Ultra (make sure you get 2021 or later for the beefed up shell). The Atomic Professional liner would also be a good call, and pump more foam in than the size would indicate. Hoji Free instep is pretty low, but the ankle fit is not that snug.

Beauty, thanks a million for the info Greg! I'll keep my eyes peeled for what Atomic has in store for us. You weren't kidding about that GFT liner being expensive...looks pretty rad though.

Follow up question for the narrow heel crowd: is there a touring boot that caters to low instep/narrow heel feet (vs a 'hybrid' boot like the Hawx) that I might get a better fit with?

Side note, the more I read about the ZGFT liner the more tempted I am. The only turn-off is the weight for touring.

Follow up question for the narrow heel crowd: is there a touring boot that caters to low instep/narrow heel feet (vs a 'hybrid' boot like the Hawx) that I might get a better fit with?

Side note, the more I read about the ZGFT liner the more tempted I am. The only turn-off is the weight for touring.
    No one really makes a dedicated touring boot for low instep/narrow heel feet, because that would make it difficult to sell to people with average insteps and heels (most prospective customers) and the market is very small as it is. With lighter pure touring designs with no cuff overlap, it gets worse - there is basically one fit per boot design, take it or leave it. One possible solution is to add a higher volume liner, but it adds weight and $$$.

You get some choice with a few hybrid boots, i.e. Lange XT3 and Atomic XTD, but that's rare.

No one really makes a dedicated touring boot for low instep/narrow heel feet, because that would make it difficult to sell to people with average insteps and heels (most prospective customers) and the market is very small as it is. With lighter pure touring designs with no cuff overlap, it gets worse - there is basically one fit per boot design, take it or leave it. One possible solution is to add a higher volume liner, but it adds weight and $$$.

You get some choice with a few hybrid boots, i.e. Lange XT3 and Atomic XTD, but that's rare.
    That's what I was afraid of, and thanks for confirming Greg. I stuck my foot in the new Hawx and the Lange XT3 last week and the Hawx suits my foot a bit better. I had more room around the ankle in the Lange soooo I now have a new pair of Hawx sitting in my living room. End of season sale for the win!

That's what I was afraid of, and thanks for confirming Greg. I stuck my foot in the new Hawx and the Lange XT3 last week and the Hawx suits my foot a bit better. I had more room around the ankle in the Lange soooo I now have a new pair of Hawx sitting in my living room. End of season sale for the win!
    Yeah, the Atomic Hawx Ultra last works pretty well for narrower heels because you get better retention with the narrower cuff . . .

Hey Greg,

Here are my numbers if you are still growing your database. I'd love to get recommendations on a lightweight touring boot if you have any suggestions. Been eyeing something in the weight class of 1,000 to 1,300ish gram boots to drive a Backland 85 ski and maybe my 4frnt Raven (104 waist 184 length) but I'm more included to get a beefier boot for that one if needed. Also curious if my assumption that I have a narrow heel relative to my forefoot is accurate.

Name:	IMG-9211.PNG 
Views:	77 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	415277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-9210.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	415278

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skilab View Post
    Hey Greg,

Here are my numbers if you are still growing your database. I'd love to get recommendations on a lightweight touring boot if you have any suggestions. Been eyeing something in the weight class of 1,000 to 1,300ish gram boots to drive a Backland 85 ski and maybe my 4frnt Raven (104 waist 184 length) but I'm more included to get a beefier boot for that one if needed. Also curious if my assumption that I have a narrow heel relative to my forefoot is accurate.

Name:	IMG-9211.PNG 
Views:	77 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	415277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-9210.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	415278

Thanks!
    I've stopped adding to my collection of scans because I've pretty much figured out how to use the data for my own purposes, and because the shop account now has about 5,000 scans to look at. I can't really see your ankle circumference or instep profile without being able to rotate the images, but going by the numbers I don't think you'll have a problem getting any of the current boots in the 1,000 to 1,300 gram range to fit. From what I can see, it looks like you're a Morton's toe person (2nd toe longer than big toe) and your ankle is relatively narrow; heel width is on the narrow side, but achilles width/shape is also important and I can't see it well with Verifyt due to the angle your phone is at (all the images are from the front/side) - not that it matters that much, as I said earlier in this thread, no one makes a narrow heel touring boot anyway.

Realistically the sub-1,100 gram boots are a separate category (and should be plenty to drive a Backland 85), and there aren't that many options - my current favorite in terms of power-to-weight ratio is the new Tecnica Zero G Peak Carbon, but you will probably want to go with a 27.5 (I'd put you in a 26.5 in most alpine boots) and there aren't any to try on yet - hopefully they'll ship some by late summer/early fall. In the meantime, I'd say try on the Scarpa F1 LT in a 26.5/27.0 (same shell); a bit roomier through the ankle and heel retention is not as good, but a solid choice. Both boots may require a bit of punching for your forefoot, which requires a fairly skilled (and/or courageous in the case of the Scarpa) bootfitter.

boot advice

Hi Greg

I'm located far away from a boot fitter and any shop that stocks boots. I was hoping to get some advice about the most likely boot brands and the like based on foot scans.

Is it possible to send you some Fischer/Verifyt scans to get your thoughts?

thanks
    nick

Quote Originally Posted by me46d0 View Post
    Hi Greg

I'm located far away from a boot fitter and any shop that stocks boots. I was hoping to get some advice about the most likely boot brands and the like based on foot scans.

Is it possible to send you some Fischer/Verifyt scans to get your thoughts?

thanks
    nick
    Sure, share your Verifyt scans with me using the QR code a few pages back, and let me know what email address you used (so I can find your scans - you can abbreviate it here as you can't message me yet). You can post screenshots of your Fischer scans on this thread.

Give me some idea of what kind of skier you are (ability, experience, aspirations) and what kind of boot you are looking for (plug, performance alpine, hybrid/freeride, touring). Also what boot you are currently using and why you like it / don't like it.

Sure, share your Verifyt scans with me using the QR code a few pages back, and let me know what email address you used (so I can find your scans - you can abbreviate it here as you can't message me yet). You can post screenshots of your Fischer scans on this thread.

Give me some idea of what kind of skier you are (ability, experience, aspirations) and what kind of boot you are looking for (plug, performance alpine, hybrid/freeride, touring). Also what boot you are currently using and why you like it / don't like it.
    Thanks Greg. seems I'm having a little difficulty getting the forum to login on my phone and load pics which is a pain. Seems I can only post an image from a URL rather than uploading it.

I think I have connected on verifyt - look for the email account name "nick.sceales". Hopefully you can grab my email from that - send me an email and I will send the Fischer pics and answer your questions.

thanks heaps!
    nick

Quote Originally Posted by me46d0 View Post
    I think I have connected on verifyt - look for the email account name "nick.sceales".
    Nothing comes up when I search "nick.sceales" on the Verifyt database.

Nothing comes up when I search "nick.sceales" on the Verifyt database.
    Found it, the Verifyt data is organized by region and I was looking at N. America, didn't realize you were in OZ.

Hi Greg- do you have any suggestions about which 100 mm last boots are better for medium to high insteps? I'd been talking to you about the Atomic Hawx Prime 110 before, but I was just wondering if there was a better model to start with that might require less modification. I did try on a Hawx Magna 110 and while the out of the box fit is better, I think its likely too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DerKommissar View Post
    Hi Greg- do you have any suggestions about which 100 mm last boots are better for medium to high insteps? I'd been talking to you about the Atomic Hawx Prime 110 before, but I was just wondering if there was a better model to start with that might require less modification. I did try on a Hawx Magna 110 and while the out of the box fit is better, I think its likely too big for me.
    If the Hawx Prime fits you except for being a tad tight over the instep, a good heat mold of the shell/liner with padding over the instep will probably do the trick. This is not a complicated "fix," and requires minimal bootfitting skill. If it doesn't do enough, there is always grinding the insole/bootboard/cutting material out of the tongue to fall back on. A Dalbello with an "AX" last (100mm) is also a good starting point for most tall insteps if you prefer/don't mind a three-piece shell design.

There isn't much that comes taller in a 100mm last; Tecnica Mach 1 MV is usually my 3rd choice (not as tall, but lots of bootboard to grind). Salomon S/Pro is also sometimes an option, instep is taller than previous "Pro" models and the heat molding process works almost as well as Atomic's; thick bootboard here, too. You can always go with a bigger size or a high volume boot, but as you are guessing they will be too big everywhere else.

Thanks- I appreciate the help!

Hey Greg - curious what you think about my foot as a candidate for the new hawx 130 pro.

My feet changed a lot a couple of years ago - I've aways been a cab guy but spent all of last season trying to tweak my way into a lupo without success. Can't get the right combo of heel hold, accommodation for my very duck-toed natural stance, and I end up with either a too-loose fit or a lot of pain around the tendons near my 5th met base. Punches, properly-done intuition, and footbeds...still a problem.

Seems like the new hawx system could be the fix. See any red flags on my scan for that option?

I would do this with a fitter obviously, just curious on your professional opinion. Thanks!

Name:	IMG_36A248B27FD2-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	422888

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Hey Greg - curious what you think about my foot as a candidate for the new hawx 130 pro.

My feet changed a lot a couple of years ago - I've aways been a cab guy but spent all of last season trying to tweak my way into a lupo without success. Can't get the right combo of heel hold, accommodation for my very duck-toed natural stance, and I end up with either a too-loose fit or a lot of pain around the tendons near my 5th met base. Punches, properly-done intuition, and footbeds...still a problem.

Seems like the new hawx system could be the fix. See any red flags on my scan for that option?

I would do this with a fitter obviously, just curious on your professional opinion. Thanks!
    If you get a Hawx Professional, make sure it is the Ultra - from what I can see you have a very narrow foot structure except at the fifth met heads and heel. A big part of heel hold is actually fitting the midfoot and lower ankle properly, and the Hawx Ultra is the best in the industry for narrow ankles (hard to get a true picture without being able to manipulate the image, and obviously I can tell you much more if your foot and leg are in front of me).

I'm super stoked on the Atomic Professional liners, especially for those with narrower heels or a big differential between heel width and achilles/lower leg width. For those cases, it is possible to "overpump" the liner (use 28.5 worth of PU foam rather than 27.5, for instance). I did this on mine with a larger than average ankle and the boots ski incredibly well - it's almost painful to get my heel in the boot (foam is pretty hard) but once on they are money.

I would suggest heat molding the shells and doing any necessary additional punches before you inject the liners if you can. As always, the help of a good bootfitter goes a long ways. Good luck!

Thank you sir!

Hey Greg - Long time TGR lurker but haven't posted. I sent my verifyt to the QR from mattcooksb Gmail. Currently in a Mach 1 130 LV 28.5 (too stiff ), and a 28.5 X-Max 120 (too soft, too much volume in ankle) before that. Both are big toe crushers with maybe <8mm shell fit. I'd love to get into a 29.5 with something like a Mimic Professional liner or zipfit for the sake of my big toes. Not sure if this is an option with my ultra narrow feet or any other combo you might recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by MCooker View Post
    Hey Greg - Long time TGR lurker but haven't posted. I sent my verifyt to the QR from mattcooksb Gmail. Currently in a Mach 1 130 LV 28.5 (too stiff ), and a 28.5 X-Max 120 (too soft, too much volume in ankle) before that. Both are big toe crushers with maybe <8mm shell fit. I'd love to get into a 29.5 with something like a Mimic Professional liner or zipfit for the sake of my big toes. Not sure if this is an option with my ultra narrow feet or any other combo you might recommend.
    I'll ask my usual question: Do you have access to good bootfitting? If so, stick with a 28.5 and punch the big toes for an extra 4-5mm of length (12mm shell fit should be doable) and yes, the Hawx Ultra 130 Professional would be a good bet for the narrow ankles both in terms of cuff diameter and ability of the liner to fill excess space around the ankle. If no, a 29.5 Hawx Ultra will be 2mm wider in the forefoot (not just the forefoot, it will be roomier everywhere) than the 28.5 X-Max but have a narrower cuff.

Edited to add: The other option (assuming this is a lift-served-only boot) is to look at a plug boot with a 92-93mm last and do an injected liner like the Professional or a Zipfit. You'll likely need some punches at the fifth met head, and an experienced bootfitter to soften the boot up to your tastes (a 130 race boot is a bit stiffer than a 130 recreational boot). Good candidates would be the Atomic Redster STI Professional or the Lange RS ZA. In this case you could probably go up to 29.5 without sacrificing ankle/midfoot fit. Softening the boot is a bit of a process and might take a few tries until its right, and you'll still have a plug (i.e. slippery) sole unless you plane it and add rubber.
    Last edited by gregL; 08-31-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Hey Greg!
    finally got the chance to use the app as I start my search for potentially some new boots.
    I'm currently in a 27.5 boot (K2 Mindbender 130) which I got "fitted" for a couple years ago. I'm touring predominantly now, so I'm looking to get into more of a tech boot. Hoping you can help me understand my measurements and what I'm experiencing with my current boots, which I feel like can be a lack of length and last width.

Measurements:
    L: Length: 27.2 Width: 10.8 Heel Width: 6.8 Instep: 7.6
    R: Length: 26.9 Width: 11.1 Heel Width: 7.0 Instep: 8.0