Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Hi Greg -

See my specs below, hoping you can help, have had, both in 29.5, an RX130 LV (did not love) and currently in a Shift Pro 130 , which I really like, but have too much lateral movement, especially in the right heel.

Looking for a 50/50 boot , and tours are pretty mellow, so will give up uphill weight and ROM for better downhill performance

Hoping you can help with recommendations and happy to pop into EVO as I am in QA , if you have anything in size and if I can find time with you, seems tough to find an appointment

***Tried the QR Code you posted, receiving an error that states invalid code****

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8416.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	449367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8415.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	449368

Greg - my wife’s feet are below - she’s got some tiny feet - currently in an older model Dalbello Chakra 95 in a 21.5 with a intuition ‘Godiva’ wrap size 22 - she’s explained to me that the boot feels lose in the lower shin area, above the ankle bones but below the top buckle - it took a couple years for the liner to get looser, so my options for her are a new liner or another boot - this size is hard to come by, i think dalbello stopped making 21s and the other option is a kids race boot, any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2065421-5752-42B8-B903-2E6288B4A637.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	449734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D029980-4E03-4232-9CC5-81B1FC1CB59C.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	449735  

What an awesome thread. Thanks for doing this. I'm a long time TGR reader but registered right now.

I'm building a short list to replace my dedicated touring boots. 40 years old, 6ft/176 lbs, experienced skier.

On-piste I ski in S/Max Carbon 130, MP 28.5, picked and prepared by a reputable fitter 3 years ago. They fit exceptionally well. Quite roomy in the toe area for a performance fit, but they hold my feet perfectly. I close the buckles on 1st position and I'm good for the day. No major work besides heat molding, and custom footbeds that I also use for touring.

The fitter is a long drive away, so for the last touring boots I gambled and jumped on an exceptional deal for a pair of La Sportiva Vega, MP 28.5. Stupid I know, but I got lucky and they fit well. Definitely shorter than the Salomons, but still ok length-wise. I DIY heat molded the liners and I've been happy for two seasons. Not a single blister or pain point.

Now I just realized the pin inserts are misaligned and cause inconsistent releases (maybe the reason for the exceptional deal?). Long story short, La Sportiva does not care but I would like to replace them before I get injured.

I'm looking at the same category, i.e. good balance between up and down for moderate mountaineering objectives. Radical Pro, ZGTP, and the likes.
    Maybe I could go lighter as I don't ski anything above 95mm and realistically snow in the Alps lately is more about survival than powder-fun. I have no experience with lighter boots though.

How do I share the scan? The app won't accept the last QR code posted some pages back.
    Any suggestion is appreciated!

L
    Foot length: 28.6 cm
    Foot width: 10.6 cm
    Heel width: 7.6 cm
    Instep height: 7.9 cm

R
    Foot length: 29.0 cm
    Foot width: 10.5 cm
    Heel width: 7.1 cm

Quote Originally Posted by winterland View Post
    What an awesome thread. Thanks for doing this. I'm a long time TGR reader but registered right now.

I'm building a short list to replace my dedicated touring boots. 40 years old, 6ft/176 lbs, experienced skier.

On-piste I ski in S/Max Carbon 130, MP 28.5, picked and prepared by a reputable fitter 3 years ago. They fit exceptionally well. Quite roomy in the toe area for a performance fit, but they hold my feet perfectly. I close the buckles on 1st position and I'm good for the day. No major work besides heat molding, and custom footbeds that I also use for touring.

The fitter is a long drive away, so for the last touring boots I gambled and jumped on an exceptional deal for a pair of La Sportiva Vega, MP 28.5. Stupid I know, but I got lucky and they fit well. Definitely shorter than the Salomons, but still ok length-wise. I DIY heat molded the liners and I've been happy for two seasons. Not a single blister or pain point.

Now I just realized the pin inserts are misaligned and cause inconsistent releases (maybe the reason for the exceptional deal?). Long story short, La Sportiva does not care but I would like to replace them before I get injured.

I'm looking at the same category, i.e. good balance between up and down for moderate mountaineering objectives. Radical Pro, ZGTP, and the likes.
    Maybe I could go lighter as I don't ski anything above 95mm and realistically snow in the Alps lately is more about survival than powder-fun. I have no experience with lighter boots though.

How do I share the scan? The app won't accept the last QR code posted some pages back.

L

R
    Sorry, missed this while I was out of town last week. Email me at glouie-at-evo-daht-kahm and I will send you the QR code to share your scan data.

hope you were somewhere - where it was dumping!

Quote Originally Posted by winterland View Post

L

R
    winterland, I've tried twice to email you directly at f****@f****.com without success. Here is most of the text of my email:

Got it. I think 28.5 is the smallest you should go for sure; try to find something narrower than 100mm - Zero G Tour Pro or Scarpa 4-Quattro come to mind. You do have quite a tall instep (see side view of your foot), 79mm is quite a bit taller than the average range for a 28.5 foot (69-74mm) so this could be a problem with the Scarpa. With the Tecnica you can grind material off the bootboard to increase vertical room as well as selectively heat mold the instep area of the boot. Grinding the bootboard is something you can do yourself on a bench-mount sander, re-shaping the instep of the shell is probably something you would go to a bootfitter to do (where do you live?).

I agree that the current Dynafit boots are likely too roomy for your foot; not sure why they abandoned the 98mm last of the original TLT 5P and TLT 6P, which I loved (you can always punch the forefoot wider).

I doubt you'll be able to get the La Sportiva Skorpius on with your instep; I couldn't and had to go up a size (our shop has also had problems with La Sportiva getting them to warranty boots with non-compatible tech fittings, so there is that).

Of the current 1-1.2 kilo boots, I think the Tecnica Zero G Peak and the Salomon MTN Summit boots will also be too roomy. KInd of sucks, I know, but everyone is making their lighter boots in a "generous medium" fit to make it sort of fit everyone, but they'll be too wide for many people and even the best bootfitter can't shrink a boot.

Sorry I can't see you in person, but if you ever get to Seattle please look me up!

Hope that is some help,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    hope you were somewhere - where it was dumping!
    Yes, Utah, it was insanely good.

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Greg - my wife’s feet are below - she’s got some tiny feet - currently in an older model Dalbello Chakra 95 in a 21.5 with a intuition ‘Godiva’ wrap size 22 - she’s explained to me that the boot feels lose in the lower shin area, above the ankle bones but below the top buckle - it took a couple years for the liner to get looser, so my options for her are a new liner or another boot - this size is hard to come by, i think dalbello stopped making 21s and the other option is a kids race boot, any suggestions?
    Dalbello still makes 21.5 in the Chakra and Lupo AX models (or at least they did for 22-23, not sure now that they are moving to a "one width fits all" 99mm); outside of the Atomic Redster LC 110 that's about all you can get in a real 21.5. I would suggest a new liner unless the shells are shot (you will have to have someone special order another 21.5 from Dalbello).

much appreciated - TY!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    winterland, I've tried twice to email you directly at f****@f****.com without success. Here is most of the text of my email:

Got it. I think 28.5 is the smallest you should go for sure; try to find something narrower than 100mm - Zero G Tour Pro or Scarpa 4-Quattro come to mind. You do have quite a tall instep (see side view of your foot), 79mm is quite a bit taller than the average range for a 28.5 foot (69-74mm) so this could be a problem with the Scarpa. With the Tecnica you can grind material off the bootboard to increase vertical room as well as selectively heat mold the instep area of the boot. Grinding the bootboard is something you can do yourself on a bench-mount sander, re-shaping the instep of the shell is probably something you would go to a bootfitter to do (where do you live?).

I agree that the current Dynafit boots are likely too roomy for your foot; not sure why they abandoned the 98mm last of the original TLT 5P and TLT 6P, which I loved (you can always punch the forefoot wider).

I doubt you'll be able to get the La Sportiva Skorpius on with your instep; I couldn't and had to go up a size (our shop has also had problems with La Sportiva getting them to warranty boots with non-compatible tech fittings, so there is that).

Of the current 1-1.2 kilo boots, I think the Tecnica Zero G Peak and the Salomon MTN Summit boots will also be too roomy. KInd of sucks, I know, but everyone is making their lighter boots in a "generous medium" fit to make it sort of fit everyone, but they'll be too wide for many people and even the best bootfitter can't shrink a boot.

Sorry I can't see you in person, but if you ever get to Seattle please look me up!

Hope that is some help,

Greg
    Thank you Greg! Much appreciated
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.

New Foot Scanner App

Name:	IMG_1003.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	451976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	451977

Very cool app. Absolute values look roughly right as far as length goes. I wish it had a “percentile” view or something that helped you figure out if your measurement is atypically high or low relative to average. Perhaps that’s not so useful since the measurements only are useful as a package (eg 100mm wide doesn’t tell you anything unless you also know the length).

But just browsing everyone else’s scans, I learned that my instep is very high and my heel is very narrow. Guess that explains why every boot crushes the top of my foot and nothing can hold my heel down.

I’m skiing Maestrales in a 26.5 and they’re okay, but not perfect. Anyone have recommendations for touring boots to consider for my profile (narrow foot, high instep, narrow heel)? I would want something with similar flex profile as the Scarpa Maestrale (not the RS), and would prefer a real toe with pin inserts (not a snub nose boot like the tlt8).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    I’m skiing Maestrales in a 26.5 and they’re okay, but not perfect. Anyone have recommendations for touring boots to consider for my profile (narrow foot, high instep, narrow heel)?
    Not really, no one makes an efficient touring boot under 1400 grams with that foot in mind. Best option is probably something out of the Backland lineup (soles are not ISO 9523, but shortened - decent for kicking steps but won't fit in a Shift).

Not really, no one makes an efficient touring boot under 1400 grams with that foot in mind. Best option is probably something out of the Backland lineup (soles are not ISO 9523, but shortened - decent for kicking steps but won't fit in a Shift).
    Appreciate the response... I'll look at the Backlands and will go back to two pairs of boots if I need to.

New Foot Scanner App

Finally got around to doing this. It pretty much matches what I suspected. Average width, narrow heel, average instep. I typically have to buy narrow boots for the narrow heel and then get the 6th toe punched.

Current boots are Hawx Ultra alpine and XTD, Scarpa F1, and PG Blacks.

Other boots I’ve tried are:
    Promachine - heel hold was pretty good, hurt my shins
    S/Max - didn't feel stiff enough all around, heel hold was pretty good
    ZGTP - felt a bit too roomy, got great heel hold from aftermarket liners, but they started bothering my navicular
    F1 LT - crushed my toes and forefoot, limited boot-work options
    4-Quattro - so-so heel hold, tight over the top of the foot
    Mezzalama - crushed my navicular, pretty good heel hold

Name:	IMG_5518.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	452281

Name:	IMG_5517.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	452282
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 03-17-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Finally got around to doing this. It pretty much matches what I suspected. Average width, narrow heel, average instep. I typically have to buy narrow boots for the narrow heel and then get the 6th toe punched.

Current boots are Hawx Ultra alpine and XTD, Scarpa F1, and PG Blacks.
    Statistically, your instep is on the tall side - average height for a 26 foot is 65-70mm.

Looks like you're already in the right boots. Best way to accommodate the narrow heel is an aftermarket liner with added thickness at the heel - Zipfit or Atomic Professional come to mind.

Help with boot size and fit

Hi TGR won't let me post my image on here for some reason (if you have any advice then please let me know). Looking for a good downhill and touring capable boot e.g XT3, Hawx, 0G, Maestrale RS. Also unsure whether I should be going 27 or 26.5, the former usually leads to heel lift and the later losing toenails and other pain. My stats from the app are below... Many thanks

Right foot:
    length 271
    width 107
    heel 68
    instep 73

Left foot
    length 269
    width 107
    heel 69
    instep 79

Quote Originally Posted by bensandfordsmith View Post
    Hi TGR won't let me post my image on here for some reason (if you have any advice then please let me know). Looking for a good downhill and touring capable boot e.g XT3, Hawx, 0G, Maestrale RS. Also unsure whether I should be going 27 or 26.5, the former usually leads to heel lift and the later losing toenails and other pain. My stats from the app are below... Many thanks

Right foot:
    length 271
    width 107
    heel 68
    instep 73

Left foot
    length 269
    width 107
    heel 69
    instep 79
    Those are all good boots (though I'd tend to try the Scarpa Quattro series instead of the Maestrale). Your feet are pretty much exactly the same length as mine, though a quite a bit narrower, and I use a 26.5 in all of them, but whether you can do it or not depends somewhat on how prominent your big toe is relative to the other toes (if it is, you may need a bootfitter to lengthen the shell) and I can't see this without your images. How well you lock your foot into position is also important (think instep, midfoot, and ankle fit as well as footbed). If you want me to take a look at your data, use the link to my website (in the footer in my post above, scroll all the way down) and I'll walk you through the process.

You also need to tell me how much touring you'll be doing in the boot - "good" downhill performance and "good" touring are natural enemies, so you need to choose your boot based on usage.

Would you be able to make some general recommendations for boots to try. It's been a few years since I got new boots. Im just looking for a daily driver at the resort in the 120 ish flex. A walk mode would be great for longer hikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by durangobrad; 08-30-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    Would you be able to make some general recommendations for boots to try. It's been a few years since I got new boots.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    With some bootfitting help, you should be able to make most low volume boots work (i.e. 97-98mm lasts). The question is whether to shoot for a 26.5 or stick with your "nominal" size of 27.5. I can't see your toe configuration without tilting the images, but if your toes are all nearly the same length (not especially big toe dominant) downsizing should work with a bit of a toe length punch on the left. I can't really see you ankle or calf shape/size either, which affects boot choice. Other options, like flex and forward lean, are quite personal - what boot are you in now and what do you like and not like about it?

I am in the Dalbello Panterra 120, 27.5 with no bootfitting. I feel that its a bit too roomy, but Ive been scared to size down to a 26.5 because I know I'm on the larger side of that sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    I am in the Dalbello Panterra 120, 27.5 with no bootfitting. I feel that its a bit too roomy, but Ive been scared to size down to a 26.5 because I know I'm on the larger side of that sizing.
    Judging from your scans, the Panterra definitely has more volume than you need - it is basically a 102mm boot with a "100mm" option that tightens the toebox but nothing else. Do you want a 3-piece shell? Do you require a walk mode? The low volume 98mm Krypton/Lupo option is unfortunately disappearing this season . . . going narrower will solve much of the "looseness" issues; there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to 26.5 vs 27.5, but going 26.5 will require a more skilled bootfitter.

If you are open to 2-piece shells, there are many other options.

Hey Greg, should I still be in size 27 Hawx XTD and Ultra with a stack of bontex shims, or is there something great out there that I am missing out on?

Left foot:
    length: 27.8
    width: 10.1
    heel width: 6.6
    instep height: 6.6

Right foot:
    heel width: 6.4
    instep height: 6.4

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Hey Greg, should I still be in size 27 Hawx XTD and Ultra with a stack of bontex shims, or is there something great out there that I am missing out on?

Left foot:
    heel width: 6.6
    instep height: 6.6

Right foot:
    heel width: 6.4
    instep height: 6.4
    Hey, Dromond, long time . . . the answer is "probably" the Hawx Ultra XTD 27/27.5, while not perfect, is still the best bet. There isn't a lower volume hybrid at this point in time (or at least nothing with a comparably small cuff diameter), and with a 26.5 your heel spurs are going to be an even bigger issue.

Hey, Dromond, long time . . . the answer is "probably" the Hawx Ultra XTD 27/27.5 is still the best bet. There isn't a lower volume hybrid at this point in time (or at least nothing with a comparably small cuff diameter), and with a 26.5 your heel spurs are going to be an even bigger issue.
    Thanks! I hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer. I can physically ski 26.5 but it’s just too much work to make it bearable long term. Overall performance and comfort have been good with the reduced height 27.5 - thank the ski gods for shims! I’ve been back on the intuition pro wrap train for extra shock absorption and hold, which has treated me pretty well. Using for both touring and alpine believe it or not. The extra resistance when skinning is a bit of a bummer but at least I feel locked into my boots.

Hey, Dromond, long time . . . the answer is "probably" the Hawx Ultra XTD 27/27.5, while not perfect, is still the best bet. There isn't a lower volume hybrid at this point in time (or at least nothing with a comparably small cuff diameter), and with a 26.5 your heel spurs are going to be an even bigger issue.
    An expensive and heavy solution might be a Zipfit GFT with a bunch of extra Omfit pumped into all three areas. If Atomic Professional XTD liners show up this season, they might help and are less expensive, and you could swap out the tongue for an HV one (red). Also consider permanently gluing 3-4mm of cork to the entire bottom of your footbeds instead of dealing with multiple sheets of Bontex.