Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    So, currently in a 24.5 Cochise with an eighth inch shim. Still too much volume. Would a HV liner get me where I need to be?
    Do you need to be in a walk-mode boot? There isn't really one made that is going to give you a performance fit, but an Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD or a Lange XT3 LV in a 24.5 will be a better place to start than a Cochise. If you're determined to keep the Cochise, more shims/HV Intuition/wrapping foam around various parts of the liner/wearing extra socks are what's left to try. Filling up space in your boot with anything other than your foot is less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hi Greg. Would it be possible to ask you a boot question here or by PM regarding canting boot soles?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Hi Greg. Would it be possible to ask you a boot question here or by PM regarding canting boot soles?
    Sure.

Thanks. Here goes. Brief as possible.

When I', skiing and stop and take a break on the slope, I'm always standing on the uphill ski. When I shift to the downhill ski, the ski slides unless I really turn my knee in. It just seems very unnatural to have to try so hard to edge the outside ski so much,

I didn't think this was a problem before but I was wondering why I have problems getting my edge when skiing moguls and that is when I took notice that maybe it is anatomical/boot related.

I've adjusted the cuffs all the way. Everything feels great, But I still find I need to excessively knee-in to get an edge on the outside ski. perhaps my boots need the soles canted.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about this issue? Could this be a footbed issue? Or other issue that can be solved without getting the boot sole canted? Krypton 2012 Lime Green version BTW. Great boot that I really love the fit and feel.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Do you need to be in a walk-mode boot? There isn't really one made that is going to give you a performance fit, but an Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD or a Lange XT3 LV in a 24.5 will be a better place to start than a Cochise. If you're determined to keep the Cochise, more shims/HV Intuition/wrapping foam around various parts of the liner/wearing extra socks are what's left to try. Filling up space in your boot with anything other than your foot is less than ideal.
    I’m not married to having walk-mode if it means getting better fit/ performance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about this issue? Could this be a footbed issue? Or other issue that can be solved without getting the boot sole canted? Krypton 2012 Lime Green version BTW. Great boot that I really love the fit and feel.
    Footbed issue? Possibly, what are you using now?

Canting? I haven't seen you or you stance in person, and this app won't help me see your alignment. Chances are some degree of medial canting would improve edgehold on your downhill ski, but it could also introduce other problems (downhill ski hooks, or wants to "go straight" when trying to initiate a turn, etc.). Most people use canting to get them to "neutral" (neither medial nor lateral edge high), certainly this tends to be fastest in alpine speed events, but different things work for different end goals and different physiologies - do you have a good race fitter near you? I would suggest getting someone who does this regularly analyze your stance if you think this could be an option.

You can't hold an edge in moguls? Seriously? You're probably trying to control your speed on the steep and icy downhill face of the mogul where your ski can't get full edge contact. The good news is you don't have to - try skiing the "path of least resistance" in the troughs, and using the uphill face of the next bump and/or the loose or slushy buildup of snow there to control your speed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    I’m not married to having walk-mode if it means getting better fit/ performance.
    There are many sub-97mm plug boot options, but it will almost certainly be a "project." The good news is these boots are actually available in 24.5. The bad news is you'll probably need the shells modified extensively both for fit and to soften them up enough to be skiable. This means enlisting the help of an experienced bootfitter and being ready to compensate them for their time.

There are many sub-97mm plug boot options, but it will almost certainly be a "project." The good news is these boots are actually available in 24.5. The bad news is you'll probably need the shells modified extensively both for fit and to soften them up enough to be skiable. This means enlisting the help of an experienced bootfitter and being ready to compensate them for their time.
    I’ve got a new 24.5 dobie 110 you can have for real cheap if you want.

Really wanting to try a pair of Dalbello Kryptons, I like the stance/lean and interested in getting in a 3 piece boot. I've always had 29.5's in Salomon, Atomic, etc. but based on the scan thinking I should try a 28.5. Thoughts?Name:  left2.JPG
Views: 873
Size:  21.7 KBName:  right1.JPG
Views: 854
Size:  21.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    Really wanting to try a pair of Dalbello Kryptons, I like the stance/lean and interested in getting in a 3 piece boot. I've always had 29.5's in Salomon, Atomic, etc. but based on the scan thinking I should try a 28.5. Thoughts?
    I think you should be able to make a 28.5 Krypton Pro work, but you will probably want the services of a good bootfitter available. Dropping down below what the app currently suggests depends on a number of factors like forefoot shape (how "big toe dominant" or "pointy" your foot is), quality of footbed, overall foot volume, and quality of the fit around the ankle. I can't see all of these with the app, but so far I don't see anything to suggest you shouldn't be able to do this with "maybe" a toe length punch for the right foot.

Yeah those numbers look right. I’m in a 28.5 Lange xt130 (100mm last & foam injected liner) and a 29 scarpa maestrale xt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE8F6CD6-4A2C-4F72-A2BA-91CED1E3D85F.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	592.1 KB 
ID:	376844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D7FB0677-ACEE-464D-B4E0-B325914E765A.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	376845
    Now what I’m wondering is if a 28.5 dalbello krypton will fit reasonably well?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderNoob View Post
    Now what I’m wondering is if a 28.5 dalbello krypton will fit reasonably well?
    98mm Krypton Pro? Out of the box, probably not, but with a punch for width on the lateral side and a bit of a bootboard grind for the instep it should be fine. Why that particular boot?

Why that boot? I’m cabrio boot curious. The krypton130 seems like the intersection of stiff inbounds boot and cabrio design.

Why that boot? I’m cabrio boot curious. The krypton130 seems like the intersection of stiff inbounds boot and cabrio design.
    It's a great boot. If you need a little more volume, I might try the Roxa R3, if you want a little more forward lean and volume try the Full Tilt First Chair 10/130. If you use CAST, Shifts or Duke PT, the Krypton will have tech inserts (toe only) starting next fall.

I've been in 29.0's forever. Currently the maestrale XT, formerly the RS. The XTs feel tighter side to side, but looser up and down if that makes sense. Should probably look at 28.5 for resort boot, but haven't had a true alpine boot in a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    I've been in 29.0's forever. Currently the maestrale XT, formerly the RS. The XTs feel tighter side to side, but looser up and down if that makes sense. Should probably look at 28.5 for resort boot, but haven't had a true alpine boot in a long time.
    It makes sense to me. The Maestrales are all supposed to be 101mm lasts, but the XT definitely has more volume and works better for a tall instep. You realize that Scarpa 28.5 and 29.0 are the same boot, right?

Wouldn't hurt to try some narrower boots.

Name:	20283356-0119-40ED-86C0-5E0F810919C5.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	735.8 KB 
ID:	376995

Name:	233C6D3D-77AE-4DE1-8A82-177B12B1639C.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	751.8 KB 
ID:	377000

Name:	DE7EA141-6909-41E3-8DA9-05746594A611.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	753.1 KB 
ID:	377001

Boots I can make work. All 25.5
    Zero G PT punch for width mainly laterally, tour wrap (dialled fit but not sure on the stance)

Cochise 130. Stock liner with some mods. Punch for width, heel could be tighter but liner volume helps.

Lupo punches for width and protours (comfy but got annoyed with 3 piece flex)

Hawx Prime XTD w/intuition ( worked but not sure about the compromise for me) I liked the flex of the ZG/wrap better.

Sitting in front of me from a trade.
    Lange RX 130 LV - gonna need some work if I do this… medial malleolus and width… but the heel feels good.

Hoping to get
    New Cochise 130, couchsending?

Not sure on walking boot, I think I should try to get the stance right on on some ZG as the fit was great… possibly a Radical Pro if I can’t get any new Tecnicas this year.

Stepped away from the ski industry after selling my dialed boots… mistakes were made.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Thanks for contributing. That's exactly why I don't think I can step away from the ski biz until I actually stop skiing . . .

PS For those of you who complete a foot scan, you can share the results with me via the app as well as attaching screenshots in this thread - this has the advantage (for me) of letting me see the images on a large monitor and manipulate them for top, bottom, and side views. Moving the images through a range helps in analyzing the volume and instep of the foot. You can now scan this QR code to give me permission to view your scans rather than emailing me (use the blue Verifyt Connect button under your scan):

Attachment 377117
    I’m just going to come see you this fall about the Zero G Pro or the new Lange touring boot. I’m done trying to make the neon green XT Free Pro work. Or maybe that’s the correct boot and the Head Raptor RS140 ruined me for ski boots

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m just going to come see you this fall about the Zero G Pro or the new Lange touring boot. I’m done trying to make the neon green XT Free Pro work. Or maybe that’s the correct boot and the Head Raptor RS140 ruined me for ski boots
    Looking forward to seeing you, dude, it's been a while. Only working Fridays in the shop for the summer, writing product descriptions the rest of the time, but will be there more starting in September.

Looking forward to seeing you, dude, it's been a while. Only working Fridays in the shop for the summer, writing product descriptions the rest of the time, but will be there more starting in September.
    It has been too long! I’m at work on the Atlantic until early August, then spending some time on the east coast until Sept. I’ll give you a heads up before swinging up your way.

A bit off topic, but on the contrary, I've been in Kryptons (KR2 shell) for a while now and am 4 buckle curious. Anyone know of overlap boots with a close fit to current gen Kryps? I think it's the wider midfoot that's kept me happy in the Kryps all these years. Forefoot width has been spot on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CYJ View Post
    A bit off topic, but on the contrary, I've been in Kryptons (KR2 shell) for a while now and am 4 buckle curious. Anyone know of overlap boots with a close fit to current gen Kryps? I think it's the wider midfoot that's kept me happy in the Kryps all these years. Forefoot width has been spot on as well.
    Pretty much everyone makes a 97mm or 98mm 4-buckle boot that can be made wider in the midfoot if necessary. I do it in every boot I own. Do you also need a taller instep?

The other thing to consider is stance.

Are you happy with the forward lean in the Dalbellos? They are quite upright @ 11 degrees; the range is around 12 degrees to around 15 degrees in 2-piece designs and varies by manufacturer - Lange and K2 are the most upright at 12, Atomic the most forward at 15. Plug boots generally have even more lean. If you are using a shim in the Kryptons it may not matter.

Pretty much everyone makes a 97mm or 98mm 4-buckle boot that can be made wider in the midfoot if necessary. I do it in every boot I own. Do you also need a taller instep?
    The last time I tried on overlap boots, I didn't have an issue with pain or pressure over the top of instep, and these were the Lange RS 130s. I did get a pretty sharp bite along the Navicular and medial side of the arch, which is not uncommon for me when trying on 98mm last boots, especially given Lange's tendency to run pretty narrow from what I hear.

The other thing to consider is stance.

Are you happy with the forward lean in the Dalbellos? They are quite upright @ 11 degrees; the range is around 12 degrees to around 15 degrees in 2-piece designs and varies by manufacturer - Lange and K2 are the most upright at 12, Atomic the most forward at 15. Plug boots generally have even more lean. If you are using a shim in the Kryptons it may not matter.
    Krypton stance out the box was too upright for me. Kept getting thrown backseat and thought it was too stiff, but C tongues felt like jello. Went back to B tongues and maxed out fwd lean (raised cuff shim and thicker wedge between the cuff and lower clog) which has been working perfectly since.

Thanks for the input Greg, guess I'm not as hopeless as I thought I was.