Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Hockey skates were a bitch to break in growing up, could only wear certain brands and ski boots have always been an adventure - any recs for a dedicated inbounds boot?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I don't think the 100mm Lange RX is a bad recommendation - if they still are not wide enough, punch them more (or find another bootfitter) - 117mm is wide but my foot is also 117mm and I'm in a LV 26.5 (three pairs) . . . as for instep (worse on the left, I assume) it's a combination of thinner footbed, thinner bootboard, heat punch the instep area with some sort of wedge (depending on what the fitter has at their disposal), cutting out elastic and vinyl on liner, compressing tongue foam, etc.

Atomic Hawx Prime or Salomon S/Pro could also be a possibility.

Could you post left and right views of your foot as well?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611800289.683142.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	360096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611800297.804611.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	360097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611800306.691293.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	360098

Its the right foot with the instep pressure. Probably from my foot being squeezed. Would you say the 28.5 is good or should I go 29.5?
    I added a third picture to show the width behind my sixth to area that runs almost all the way to my heel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry to drop tech gloom, but I keep getting stuck not being able to enter my State when creating an account. I have reloaded the app already and still no go.

Wondering if I should try making my profile on the website first?

Using an iPhone. Anyone else run into this and found a solution?
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post

Name:	Image1611800289.683142.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	360096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611800297.804611.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	360097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611800306.691293.jpg 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	360098

Its the right foot with the instep pressure. Probably from my foot being squeezed. Would you say the 28.5 is good or should I go 29.5?
    I added a third picture to show the width behind my sixth to area that runs almost all the way to my heel.
    Unfortunately I can't see the shape of your forefoot very well in these views (my commercial account lets me rotate to get a direct top view but you can't do it on your phone), but assuming you have a normal distribution of toe pressure at the front of the boot, have a good footbed, and good retention at the ankle, I would hold out for 28.5. The extra width running all the way back past the styloid process can be achieved by punching.

Not sure if its been said yet but Fischer also has an app for scanning feet. It only shows a 3d image of my left foot, but gives measurements for length, ball width, instep height, navicular height, and heel width for both feet.

slowroastin, my feet are similar in shape and I am happy in punched (by greg) hawx ultra xtd 28.5s. Probably going to add a set of alpine hawx in a season or 2 as well.

Unfortunately I can't see the shape of your forefoot very well in these views (my commercial account lets me rotate to get a direct top view but you can't do it on your phone), but assuming you have a normal distribution of toe pressure at the front of the boot, have a good footbed, and good retention at the ankle, I would hold out for 28.5. The extra width running all the way back past the styloid process can be achieved by punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Sorry to drop tech gloom, but I keep getting stuck not being able to enter my State when creating an account. I have reloaded the app already and still no go.

Wondering if I should try making my profile on the website first?

Using an iPhone. Anyone else run into this and found a solution?
    Not sure what the issue is - what version is your phone? I have heard reports of iPhone 7 and earlier problems, I had none with mine (new SE).

Got it working in the UK.

Interesting app - especially coming from someone who is mostly a climber, and has years and years of ramming my feet into odd-shaped contortionist shoes and finding by intuition that my left foot is about 5mm longer.

Name:	okfr18E.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	360442

Boots

Alpine - 26.5 Hawx Prime 120s's with superfeets and I've not needed a punch on these.

Touring - Struggling. I've been jumping around trying to get heel hold without 6th toe or 5th met pain. I've got wide, but low volume and low instep feet.

Tried:
    1. 28 Vulcans with intuition classic wraps (comfortable, but too long).
    2. 27.5 Vulcans with stock liners (6th toe punch and met punch, good until the boots just died of old age).
    3. 27.5 MTN Explores - great length and width, still felt like foot and ankle swimming.
    4. 26.5 MTN Labs with 6th toe punch - good heel hold but I think for long tours my toe will take a bashing the end of the boot too much.
    5. 26.5 Maestrale RS's; length feels ok but 5th met pain as soon as buckled (loose as I can get) and I still get heel lift.

Am I downsizing too much? 27.5 / 310+ bsl boots seem to leave me with like a 2cm shell fit.

Quote Originally Posted by w1ntermut3 View Post
    Got it working in the UK.

Interesting app - especially coming from someone who is mostly a climber, and has years and years of ramming my feet into odd-shaped contortionist shoes and finding by intuition that my left foot is about 5mm longer.

Name:	okfr18E.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	360442

Boots

Alpine - 26.5 Hawx Prime 120s's with superfeets and I've not needed a punch on these.

Touring - Struggling. I've been jumping around trying to get heel hold without 6th toe or 5th met pain. I've got wide, but low volume and low instep feet.

Tried:
    1. 28 Vulcans with intuition classic wraps (comfortable, but too long).
    2. 27.5 Vulcans with stock liners (6th toe punch and met punch, good until the boots just died of old age).
    3. 27.5 MTN Explores - great length and width, still felt like foot and ankle swimming.
    4. 26.5 MTN Labs with 6th toe punch - good heel hold but I think for long tours my toe will take a bashing the end of the boot too much.
    5. 26.5 Maestrale RS's; length feels ok but 5th met pain as soon as buckled (loose as I can get) and I still get heel lift.

Am I downsizing too much? 27.5 / 310+ bsl boots seem to leave me with like a 2cm shell fit.
    I think 27.5 is the right call for a touring boot.

MTN boots have a cavernous ankle and heel pocket but a pointy toebox (a shape rarely found in feet). Vulcan/Mercury wasn't exactly snug either.

The app doesn't show ankle volume, but there is every chance one of the current boots like a Hawx Ultra XTD (same width as your Prime if you go 27.5) or Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro will work and fit your ankle/midfoot more accurately. Hoji Free would also be an improvement.

PS Could you post left side and right side screenshots as well? Thanks!

Finally got it to work. Weird though. When I get measured in shops my feet are a full size different. Here they are showing less different. Maybe I’ll try rescanning.

I’m in 26.5 Solly SMax 130s. They feel a bit too big on the right foot and are very very tight on the left. Very.

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	360451

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Finally got it to work. Weird though. When I get measured in shops my feet are a full size different. Here they are showing less different. Maybe I’ll try rescanning.

I’m in 26.5 Solly SMax 130s. They feel a bit too big on the right foot and are very very tight on the left. Very.

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	360451
    Most shops rely on a traditional Brannock device, which typically gives you a measurement 5-9mm longer. All of the digital scanners are pretty close (Sidas, Fischer, Verifyt) - shorter, but consistently so.

You have to be specific when asking someone how they measured their feet (simply putting your heel on the floor against the wall and making a mark is usually in between).

Using the Brannock number normally results in what I term "average fit" while using the number produced by Verifyt/Sidas gives you an "expert fit" - you just have to adjust to whatever measurement system you are using. Shellfit, on the other hand, is what it is - I like to measure it in millimeters, not "dowels" using a known object like my 15mm finger.

PS Could you also post screenshots from the front and right side? Thanks!

You mean a full size different between left and right? Hard to say, though the curve at the bottom of the tray in a Brannock pushes your foot forward by varying amounts based on the shape of your heel. Also I've found that "creeping" your foot forward to align it with the blue VR curves on the app scrunches up your foot a few millimeters, it is more accurate if you lift your foot or at least the forefoot after you hit the right position to let it stretch out.

You mean a full size different between left and right? Hard to say, though the curve at the bottom of the tray in a Brannock pushes your foot forward by varying amounts based on the shape of your heel.
    Interesting.

I redid it with help from my lovely wife. Greater difference between feet this time.

Name:	IMG_2250.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	360452

Name:	IMG_2249.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	360453

Name:	IMG_2248.JPG 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	360454

New Foot Scanner App

And here is said lovely wife. She is in 23.5 Solomon X/Max 90s. She needs a stiffer boot in my opinion but she only weighs like 110lbs so it sort’ve works.

Name:	IMG_2251.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	360457

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	360458

Name:	IMG_2253.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	360459

Thanks, Eddy. Can you get someone to punch the toe on the left boot?

I think 27.5 is the right call for a touring boot.

MTN boots have a cavernous ankle and heel pocket but a pointy toebox (a shape rarely found in feet). Vulcan/Mercury wasn't exactly snug either.

The app doesn't show ankle volume, but there is every chance one of the current boots like a Hawx Ultra XTD (same width as your Prime if you go 27.5) or Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro will work and fit your ankle/midfoot more accurately. Hoji Free would also be an improvement.

PS Could you post left side and right side screenshots as well? Thanks!
    Hi buddy. Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I worry about the 27.5 hawx, bsl is like 312 and that means 2+cm behind my heel? The 26.5/27 maestrale has about 1-1.5cm.

https://i.ibb.co/SPMnGjL/Screenshot-20210130-154422.png

https://i.ibb.co/x8PT0FD/Screenshot-20210130-154426.png

New Foot Scanner App

Thanks, Eddy. Can you get someone to punch the toe on the left boot?

Not sure if you are talking my boots or hers. I’ve had mine punched. They don’t want to punch more as they say they are worried it’ll interfere with the binding. I’ve made peace with the length but I think I want some more width right across the end of the toes. My left big toenail digs into my second toe.

For her, punch for width for sure. She’d be in permanent pain without that punch on left.
    Last edited by EWG; 01-30-2021 at 01:42 PM.

So, iPhone 7 does not work, even with the update (which shows up in the app, not as an app update thru the app store)
    I tried on an iPad Pro and that completed the process

Name:	D9F5C1F4-0DFF-4DD9-96BD-7BC7E2E4A9DC.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	360522
    I’m currently in a 27.5 lupo ax120 w/ punches to widen the forefoot

now...having done this, what does this tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    So, iPhone 7 does not work, even with the update (which shows up in the app, not as an app update thru the app store)
    I tried on an iPad Pro and that completed the process

Name:	D9F5C1F4-0DFF-4DD9-96BD-7BC7E2E4A9DC.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	360522
    I’m currently in a 27.5 lupo ax120 w/ punches to widen the forefoot

now...having done this, what does this tell me?
    In the context of the other 75 scans I've collected, this data indicates to me that you have a moderately wide foot with a very tall instep; best bets are an average width boot (100mm or so) with a tall instep or potential for creating instep space through grinding, heat molding, etc. Dalbello Lupo AX definitely fits that description, also potentially a good match would be an Atomic Hawx Prime XTD (assuming you want a tourable boot that skis well).

Could you post screenshots of your feet from the left and right sides as well to confirm the instep issue?

Thanks, one of our managers also reported failures with an iPhone 7 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by w1ntermut3 View Post
    I worry about the 27.5 hawx, bsl is like 312 and that means 2+cm behind my heel? The 26.5/27 maestrale has about 1-1.5cm.
    BSL and interior length are not directly correlated; I have 26.5 boots with BSL's from 287 to 310, and the interior length varies by only a few millimeters . . . the Hawx boots tend to run short compared to other brands that "break on the whole number" (e.g. 26.0 and 26.5 are the same boot) and are hard to compare to Scarpa, which breaks on the half (26.5 and 27.0 are the same). It is best to put your foot in the actual shell.

In the context of the other 75 scans I've collected, this data indicates to me that you have a moderately wide foot with a very tall instep; best bets are an average width boot (100mm or so) with a tall instep or potential for creating instep space through grinding, heat molding, etc. Dalbello Lupo AX definitely fits that description, also potentially a good match would be an Atomic Hawx Prime XTD (assuming you want a tourable boot that skis well).

Could you post screenshots of your feet from the left and right sides as well to confirm the instep issue?

Thanks, one of our managers also reported failures with an iPhone 7 . . .
    Yep, tall instep & wide forefoot
    Here’s the L & R

Name:	AA34E7B9-B120-4C8E-8DED-EF30522012E4.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	360595
    The AX was a surprise successful fit for me & I now am skiing it exclusively inbounds & out. I tried it on a hunch that the 3pc shell would cinch my foot back into the heel pocket best without crushing my instep, like the Lange sx120s did...they were never quite right even with tongue grinding & punches to the width.
    but I do wonder what you might suggest to try in the alpine boot world...

And here is said lovely wife. She is in 23.5 Solomon X/Max 90s. She needs a stiffer boot in my opinion but she only weighs like 110lbs so it sort’ve works.
    Thank the wife for me. Yeah, Salomon S/Max or Lange RX LV are probably the best bets, Atomic Hawx Ultra may be a bit tall in the instep. Flex is pretty personal; if she is happy in the 90 so be it. Unfortunately both boots skip the 100 flex, going directly to 110 or 115 from 90 to 95.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Yep, tall instep & wide forefoot . . .
    In addition to the instep numbers (67-70mm is average for a 27-27.5 foot), the lack of any curve ahead of where the ankle is truncated in the image is a tip off.

Full Tilt Ascendant would also be a contender.

Not sure if you are talking my boots or hers. I’ve had mine punched. They don’t want to punch more as they say they are worried it’ll interfere with the binding. I’ve made peace with the length but I think I want some more width right across the end of the toes. My left big toenail digs into my second toe.
    How much space is there between the end of the boot toe and the housing on your binding with the boot in the ski? You only need a tiny gap, but I've had to reheat and retract and/or grind material off the toe where it's been punched to get some boots to test out properly on the Wintersteiger.

It is entirely possible to punch for extra space on the medial side of the big toe as well as for length, you just need a bootfitter who's figured out the right setup.

New Foot Scanner App

Sorry, I don't work for NetVirta, they are across the country and I just send them feedback by email . . . they've updated the iPhone version twice in the past week, though.
    No problem at all, just saving those select few from going through the entire process again and realizing they still have the issue

EDIT: iPhone 7 too, makes sense now