Views:	115 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	365990
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	365991

in hawx prime xtds 27.5 for touring. was in lange rs lvs for innounds, but found too much heel lift, and too much foot pain after wrecking my ankle over the summer. anything else i should try? ignore if i’ve missed the window!

Pretty neat app. It has helped confirm I need to be in LV boots.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

New Foot Scanner App

Look at my fatties. I’m the gaper in 27.5 mach1 HV boots which had to be punched for width twice

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	365998

Name:	IMG_2061.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	365999

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I just did the scan, what else should I do?
    Wait for GregL to post that he would also like the side views of the feet so he can see the arch height also.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I just did the scan, what else should I do?
    As RShea suggests, post screenshots of your feet from the left and right sides, and tell us what boots you're in . . .

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Look at my fatties. I’m the gaper in 27.5 mach1 HV boots which had to be punched for width twice

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	365998

Name:	IMG_2061.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	365999
    Yikes. Not only fat but massive instep . . . yeah, Mach 1 HV or Hawx Magna are good calls.

Ok.

I'm in a Scarpa TX Pro, size 27.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210306-083037.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	366087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210306-083031.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	366088
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

How much is that app?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    How much is that app?
    No charge to download and use it for personal use at present; not sure about the cost of the business version (lets you download and manipulate images on big screen with user's permission). I am waiting for my employer to buy it for our use, they are negotiating with Net Virta.

New Foot Scanner App

I have a huge discrepancy on width between my feet, wicked bunion on the left foot 105, right foot 99. Is that why my right foot feels like it swimming in the boot? I’m in a 26.5 Krypton 130 98mm last. The left foot at 105 feels good in the boot, the right boot feels huge.
    Cool app

Name:	Image1615048714.322736.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	366110
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by benjc View Post
    Here's mine. It didn't quite capture the oddness of my feet so adding a photo as well; widest part is in the midfoot.

This sizing suggests my size may be wrong - current boots are K2 Mindbender 100 29.5 men's. (No, I'm not touring, that's just what they gave me - was a novice when I bought them, took bootfitter's suggestion). And they aren't working well at all (pain on the outside of both feet, plus sole sometimes) despite 5+ bootfitter visits. Very open to ideas/suggestions!
    Attachment 365960
    Attachment 365961
    Adding left and right views per [mention]gregL [/mention] note. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Foot Scanner App

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	366183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	366184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	366185

Currently in a Salomon Shift Pro 130 after a few seasons in the Xpro 120. Both in a 26.5. Fit is good in the fore foot, but with my flat-ish arch and lower instep have issues with heel hold. Replaced the stock liners in both boots with power wraps, which takes up some volume and improves heel stability. Not entirely sure I’m in the right boot for my low instep and would be open to suggestions. I’ve considered moving to a LV shell, but most of those seem far too narrow to fit without a ton of punching.

I have a huge discrepancy on width between my feet, wicked bunion on the left foot 105, right foot 99. Is that why my right foot feels like it swimming in the boot? I’m in a 26.5 Krypton 130 98mm last. The left foot at 105 feels good in the boot, the right boot feels huge.
    Cool app

Name:	Image1615048714.322736.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	366110
    Your feet are quite different, but the main thing that stands out is how much they taper from the met heads back - very narrow through the midfoot and ankle, average to mid-wide at the forefoot. The rear 2/3 of your foot is a good match for a 92mm shell as long as you can make the boot wide enough across the met heads. Challenging for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	366183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	366184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	366185

Currently in a Salomon Shift Pro 130 after a few seasons in the Xpro 120. Both in a 26.5. Fit is good in the fore foot, but with my flat-ish arch and lower instep have issues with heel hold. Replaced the stock liners in both boots with power wraps, which takes up some volume and improves heel stability. Not entirely sure I’m in the right boot for my low instep and would be open to suggestions. I’ve considered moving to a LV shell, but most of those seem far too narrow to fit without a ton of punching.
    Move to a low volume shell. In Salomon, you should be able to make an S/Max work with just a proper Custom Shell heat mold and maybe some bootfitting foam over the met heads (probably not even that). If you need a "tourable" boot, try the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD, made in the same factory a few meters away (not sure when Salomon will come out with a 98mm Shift boot). If you need any punching at all, it certainly won't be "a ton." That's what bootfitters are for. As for the low instep, well, there's Bontex shims (Salomon is already on the lower end of instep heights, though they've gotten taller in the current iterations of S/Max and S/Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Move to a low volume shell. In Salomon, you should be able to make an S/Max work with just a proper Custom Shell heat mold and maybe some bootfitting foam over the met heads (probably not even that). If you need a "tourable" boot, try the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD, made in the same factory a few meters away (not sure when Salomon will come out with a 98mm Shift boot). If you need any punching at all, it certainly won't be "a ton." That's what bootfitters are for. As for the low instep, well, there's Bontex shims (Salomon is already on the lower end of instep heights, though they've gotten taller in the current iterations of S/Max and S/Pro).
    Thanks for the input. My low instep is an issue in all my footwear. Trying to find cycling shoes that work is almost as big a pain in the ass as ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by benjc View Post
    Here's mine. It didn't quite capture the oddness of my feet so adding a photo as well; widest part is in the midfoot.

This sizing suggests my size may be wrong - current boots are K2 Mindbender 100 29.5 men's. (No, I'm not touring, that's just what they gave me - was a novice when I bought them, took bootfitter's suggestion). And they aren't working well at all (pain on the outside of both feet, plus sole sometimes) despite 5+ bootfitter visits. Very open to ideas/suggestions!
    The 100mm Mindbender isn't a terrible suggestion, but 29.5 is at least one size too big. What did these bootfitters do during these 5+ visits? The K2 shells don't heat mold as well as some other "heat moldable" designs, and some aggressive punching would be necessary to create width behind the fifth metatarsals (in other words, if they heat molded it once and it wasn't enough, more heat molds are not the answer). If they sold you a footbed saying it would relieve the pressure it is bullshit, if they sold you thinner socks there is some merit to the suggestion.

Your feet are quite different, but the main thing that stands out is how much they taper from the met heads back - very narrow through the midfoot and ankle, average to mid-wide at the forefoot. The rear 2/3 of your foot is a good match for a 92mm shell as long as you can make the boot wide enough across the met heads. Challenging for sure.
    Boot suggestions in a 130 flex? Any 3 piece boot fit the bill?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Cool app, had to give it a go. Here’s mine:

Name:	F54F8CC4-8581-4D47-BF8E-8D8C9A38A858.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	548.3 KB 
ID:	366235

Name:	4464FC65-E822-4C8D-88F2-B39A20104981.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	366236

Name:	43E0768D-ED45-4F87-9212-C84C90EE57D5.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	557.1 KB 
ID:	366237

I’m in a 25.5 ZA and a 25.5 Free Tour 130, both with Expert Booster, and I swap the lace up liners from the ZA back and forth.

The ZA has had undergone significant grinding for the big toes, outsides of mid-foot area, and outsides of the heels (bony protrusion, left side worse than right). It’s also been punched at the base of the big toes (bunions, left side again way worse than right). The Free Tours have required less work - big toes and outsides of heels only.

Each year that goes by, the problem areas seem to get worse and worse, mostly on my left foot. With the Free Tours, my right foot gets along fine but on my left foot I lose my big toenail every year by the end of December, and my bunion is constantly in pain (shell material is too thin to really punch and the area is directly under the toe buckle latches).

I’m thinking about going up a shell size to 26.5 to give my toes some space and improve circulation, and hopefully be able to ski pain free and not have to go inside and take my boots off every few runs. The Zero G Pro Tour, XT3 Tour Pro, and Hoji Free intrigue me as replacements for the Free Tour - I’d like to cut some weight and make walking uphill more enjoyable. I also wonder about going up a size in the ZA, or even switching to a more easy going boot like a RS (continue with a two boot quiver). I usually work with PJ Dewey and he has always put me in 25.5.

Quote Originally Posted by test donkey View Post
    I’m thinking about going up a shell size to 26.5 to give my toes some space and improve circulation, and hopefully be able to ski pain free and not have to go inside and take my boots off every few runs. The Zero G Pro Tour, XT3 Tour Pro, and Hoji Free intrigue me as replacements for the Free Tour - I’d like to cut some weight and make walking uphill more enjoyable. I also wonder about going up a size in the ZA, or even switching to a more easy going boot like a RS (continue with a two boot quiver). I usually work with PJ Dewey and he has always put me in 25.5.
    You realize there is no right or wrong answer to this? My feet are a little shorter and wider than your yours, raced in 25.5 Dobermanns, now settle for 26.5 RS 130 and LV Hybrid boots (Zero G Tour Pro, Hawx Ultra XTD, Lange XT3 LV). People's feet tend to get longer with age, and their willingness to endure pain lessens. There will be times when you miss the precision of the small plug boot but it will be less and less of the time.

(my scan is in the beginning of the thread)

Boot suggestions in a 130 flex? Any 3 piece boot fit the bill?
    Other than the 92-93mm plug options, not really. You are in the best 3-piece boot now, the Roxa and Full Tilt 99mm lasts are substantially roomier. All you can really change is the liner - HV Intuition or injected.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post

Name:	IMG_1508.JPG 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	365989

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	365990

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	365991

in hawx prime xtds 27.5 for touring. was in lange rs lvs for innounds, but found too much heel lift, and too much foot pain after wrecking my ankle over the summer. anything else i should try? ignore if i’ve missed the window!
    Just looking at the numbers, I would guess you could do the Hawx Ultra for both touring boots and alpine. The excellent heel hold is due largely the small cuff circumference, however, which might not play well with your ankle. Hard to say about the ankle injury - depends on the circumstances. Hardware? Swelling? Scar tissue? Where is the issue, and will it recede?

Just looking at the numbers, I would guess you could do the Hawx Ultra for both touring boots and alpine. The excellent heel hold is due largely the small cuff circumference, however, which might not play well with your ankle. Hard to say about the ankle injury - depends on the circumstances. Hardware? Swelling? Scar tissue? Where is the issue, and will it recede?
    there’s a little swelling, not a ton. it exacerbated the collapse of my left arch, though i still have plenty of instep height. most of the volume difference on left ankle/foot is from a shattered arch 30 years ago.

moderate odds of surgery this summer. i tore much of the cartilage off the top of my heel and took chunks of bone with it, as well as severing ligaments and tendons. it’s functional, but i need to heat shells to get boots on or i kinda black out from pain. nbd once they’re on, though if i blow through flex, i get some sharp pain. The major issue from a comfort perspective is along the front of the ankle (flexion point), shooting pain when I flex too far into it.

prime seems to be pretty amenable to increasing instep. if ultra is the same, i am optimistic to try it. I have some issues around left ankle (feels like front of clog digs into shin), but i have trouble figuring out if that’s a fit issue or a shithoused joint issue.

thank you for the thoughts!
    Last edited by theetruscan; 03-07-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    there’s a little swelling, not a ton. it exacerbated the collapse of my left arch, though i still have plenty of instep height. most of the volume difference on left ankle/foot is from a shattered arch 30 years ago.

moderate odds of surgery this summer. i tore much of the cartilage off the top of my heel and took chunks of bone with it, as well as severing ligaments and tendons. it’s functional, but i need to heat shells to get boots on or i kinda black out from pain. nbd once they’re on, though if i blow through flex, i get some sharp pain.

prime seems to be pretty amenable to increasing instep. if ultra is the same, i am optimistic to try it. I have some issues around left ankle (feels like front of clog digs into shin), but i have trouble figuring out if that’s a fit issue or a shithoused joint issue.

thank you for the thoughts!
    Sounds painful all around.

The Atomic Ultra lasts are fairly roomy over the instep, and respond well to heat molding with foam taped over the cuneiform area. However, the cuff diameter is the smallest in the business, and if your ankle is elongated (long from front to back in cross section) as yours appears to be, it can cut into the front of your ankle. Hard to tell without actually heat molding the boot. I've actually done this with no obligation to buy the boot before, but I doubt most shops will be eager to offer this.

PS Getting the optimal molding potential out of the shells requires a bit more time than the Atomic-recommended 8 minutes, I usually go 10 minutes with a warm oven (if you go to 11 or 12 minutes, the bootboards start to warp).

Name:	IMG_363F311FE52D-1.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	366314
    Name:  IMG_05F9EA50051A-1.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  93.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2BE98838385A-1.jpeg
Views: 472
Size:  95.5 KB
    I ski an old green 27/27.5 Cochise 130, and a 27.5 TLT5P. I am looking to buy a Scarpa F1 LT. I tried on the 27, and it was a wee bit tight. Considering the Dalbello Factory and the Fischer Travers, but I like the more upright stance of the Scarpa.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Stats from the scan:
    Left foot:
    Mondopoint: 26.5
    Foot length: 266.6mm
    Foot width: 102.6mm
    Instep Height: 72.5mm
    Heel Width: 66.0mm

Right foot:
    Mondopoint:26.5
    Foot length: 265.5mm
    Foot width: 100.3mm
    Instep Height: 77.2mm
    Heel Width: 65.5mm

I ski in 26.5 Nordica Pro Machine 120s with Intuition Pro Wrap liners and tour in 26.5 Atomic Hawx 130s with FT/Intution Tour Wrap. Both were purchased from and fitted at Larry's in Boulder.