Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Greg, what instep height numbers do you see as likely to need significant work for a 27.5 boot? Obviously depends on the boot but say for a medium to slightly higher instep boot like a Cochise ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Greg, what instep height numbers do you see as likely to need significant work for a 27.5 boot? Obviously depends on the boot but say for a medium to slightly higher instep boot like a Cochise ?
    I consider a range of 67mm to 72mm "average" - above that may need work depending on thickness of footbed, etc. but the bootboard is easy to grind.

Hey Greg!

I would love to get your thoughts on my feet and possible boot recs. I mainly have issues with my extremely low instep on my left foot.

I'm currently in Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 25.5. I was fitted at a reputable boot shop in Tahoe (Start Haus) but I'm afraid I'm in too big of a boot, especially on the instep. Currently, I am running Zipfit Gara's with a lot of added cork (particularly in the tongue in my left boot), Sidas custom insoles, boosters, and 3 mm Bontex shims on each boot. I have 5th met punches on both boots due to the shims. My right foot actually feel pretty good, but I've always had problems with the left foot. I think the amount of cork added has created an unforgiving fit, and it's not uniformly snug everywhere.

Other info: my right foot has a low arch, and my left foot is close to flat (no arch).

I was thinking that 24.5 S/Max w/ Zipfits might be OK, with some punches in the toebox, but wondering if there are other boots I should consider or even lower volume boots (95-96mm range). I actually used to have a pair of 24.5 X Max (which I've heard had the lowest instep) with Bootdoc foam liners (no foam in tongue), but they killed my toes because A) the liners were way too short despite stretching and B) I didn't punch the toebox for more space. I still had space over my left foot instep and in the ankle (didn't try shims).

I will also send a PM with my email so I can send you my full scan. I took multiple scans, and there seemed to be notable variance between measurements.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0952.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	439690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0953.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	439691

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    If you are still getting instep pressure with a Cochise and are looking for a hybrid boot, try a Hawx Prime XTD.

Quote Originally Posted by skier2265 View Post
    Hey Greg!

I would love to get your thoughts on my feet and possible boot recs. I mainly have issues with my extremely low instep on my left foot.

I'm currently in Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 25.5. I was fitted at a reputable boot shop in Tahoe (Start Haus) but I'm afraid I'm in too big of a boot, especially on the instep. Currently, I am running Zipfit Gara's with a lot of added cork (particularly in the tongue in my left boot), Sidas custom insoles, boosters, and 3 mm Bontex shims on each boot. I have 5th met punches on both boots due to the shims. My right foot actually feel pretty good, but I've always had problems with the left foot. I think the amount of cork added has created an unforgiving fit, and it's not uniformly snug everywhere.

Other info: my right foot has a low arch, and my left foot is close to flat (no arch).

I was thinking that 24.5 S/Max w/ Zipfits might be OK, with some punches in the toebox, but wondering if there are other boots I should consider or even lower volume boots (95-96mm range). I actually used to have a pair of 24.5 X Max (which I've heard had the lowest instep) with Bootdoc foam liners (no foam in tongue), but they killed my toes because A) the liners were way too short despite stretching and B) I didn't punch the toebox for more space. I still had space over my left foot instep and in the ankle (didn't try shims).

I will also send a PM with my email so I can send you my full scan. I took multiple scans, and there seemed to be notable variance between measurements.

Thank you!

Name:	IMG-0952.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	439690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0953.PNG 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	439691
    Jeez, you're not kidding about the low instep on the left foot.

Unfortunately, no one is interested in building a last for a foot like yours, they concentrate on "average" feet in three different volumes, not "off the chart unusual" feet.

It sounds like you don't care so much about touring capability, but rather simply want a lower instep boot for performance reasons? I think you are on the right track re: looking for an out-of-production X/Max (Salomon has raised the instep height twice since then; the current S/Pro Alpha is a fantastic boot but the instep is much roomier). I doubt a 24.5 is realistic, but it would depend on the bootfitter's expertise and the binding you intend to use - how much you can punch a toe for length depends to some extent on toepiece compatibility. As low volume consumer boots go, the Hawx Ultra is great for low volume ankles but actually pretty tall over the instep. Current plug boots below 97-98mm are much tighter through the midfoot but not really all that low over the instep, either - just because someone demands a super powerful narrow boot doesn't mean their instep is low so I doubt going that route will help.

I don't think adding more than 3mm of Bontex under the liner is advisable - as you have found out, when you simply raise the platform under the liner, you start to run into problems where the shell curves over the top of the foot. If you've maxed out the amount of Omfit material you can add to the tongue, the next step is to start gluing foam to the tongue and upper surface of the liner flaps. You could play with this yourself rather than having a bootfitter do the work; get some adhesive 1/8" or 3/32" foam and go at it.

FWIW, adding more cork to the rear of a Zipfit can actually push your foot forward and exacerbate the instep issue . . .

Good luck with this, and let me know when you share your foot data.

Thanks Greg! I just realized I made an important typo -- I have the alpine Hawx 130 NOT the XTD. Not sure why I accidentally wrote XTD.

I actually have my old pair of 24.5 X Max 120 still. My shell fit is just under 1/2" (I can get a 1/2" dowel back there with some light contact), so I think Verifyt slightly overestimated my foot length. I think my mistake previously in that boot was using too short of a liner and not having the bootfitter do ANY punches. But I think a 24.5 could work. I'm hesitant to do any bootwork on it because the shell is not in great shape; I would want to buy a new shell first.

For my current setup, I could fit more Omfit in the tongue. However, I've noticed that more Omfit makes the instep fit feel very unforgiving and still not quite uniform, even after many liner heats. I've also noticed that the added Omfit seems to make the tongue sit differently in my boot; I feel like the tongue on my left boot wants to lean forward instead of staying in uniform contact with my shin up my leg. I've also tried adding thin layers of adhesive foam at my bootfitter. I didn't really love how that felt, but I admit I did not give it much of a chance yet.

Lastly, I've added some cork to the ankle pockets as well to get more ankle hold, and I definitely have noticed that it has pushed my foot forward (exacerbating the 5th met and adding toe pressure). I don't know if it's helped much with ankle hold, since the omfit just seems to settle in the rear. I may take some out.

I've shared my scan with you via the app, thanks for the email and your help!

Quote Originally Posted by skier2265 View Post
    Thanks Greg! I just realized I made an important typo -- I have the alpine Hawx 130 NOT the XTD. Not sure why I accidentally wrote XTD.

I actually have my old pair of 24.5 X Max 120 still. My shell fit is just under 1/2" (I can get a 1/2" dowel back there with some light contact), so I think Verifyt slightly overestimated my foot length. I think my mistake previously in that boot was using too short of a liner and not having the bootfitter do ANY punches. But I think a 24.5 could work. I'm hesitant to do any bootwork on it because the shell is not in great shape; I would want to buy a new shell first.

For my current setup, I could fit more Omfit in the tongue. However, I've noticed that more Omfit makes the instep fit feel very unforgiving and still not quite uniform, even after many liner heats. I've also noticed that the added Omfit seems to make the tongue sit differently in my boot; I feel like the tongue on my left boot wants to lean forward instead of staying in uniform contact with my shin up my leg. I've also tried adding thin layers of adhesive foam at my bootfitter. I didn't really love how that felt, but I admit I did not give it much of a chance yet.

Lastly, I've added some cork to the ankle pockets as well to get more ankle hold, and I definitely have noticed that it has pushed my foot forward (exacerbating the 5th met and adding toe pressure). I don't know if it's helped much with ankle hold, since the omfit just seems to settle in the rear. I may take some out.

I've shared my scan with you via the app, thanks for the email and your help!
    Well, as I mentioned in email the X/Max is the lowest instep of any fairly recent Salomons but it is a bi-injected shell so punching the toe usually leads to the two materials separating at the joint - if won't leak if you don't overdo it but don't expect miracles in terms of length enhancement.

Regarding the "feel" of the Omfit, yeah, it is a little unyielding. You also should add volume to the liner flaps, not just the tongue to solve your issue, I would try the adhesive foam option.

Thanks Greg. I think I want to try a 24.5 Salomon again (even possibly the S/Max, which I believe still has a lower instep than the Atomic). Having skied 1.5 seasons in an unpunched 24.5, I think it may work with just a bit of added length/width.

I've already added Omfit to the main ankle pocket and the initially empty chamber in the midfoot of the Zipfit. In the meanwhile, I think I will order some foam and experiment. Thanks!

So , I switched from a Cochise dyn 130 in MP27 (2019 model ) to a mach1 LV MP28(2023model). So far all is good, but my left is getting numb, starting at the big toe.
    Any ideas??
    . I suspect too much pressure on the toe joint or over the instep.
    But so far couldn’t get rid off it completely …
    Ps I had the same problems with the Cochisea that I could solve by using a different liner on the left foot only.

.data from the right foot is roughly the same, a little less overall.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by salx View Post
    So , I switched from a Cochise dyn 130 in MP27 (2019 model ) to a mach1 LV MP28(2023model). So far all is good, but my left is getting numb, starting at the big toe. Any ideas??
    Hard to say. The Mach 1 LV is tighter pretty much everywhere than the Cochise, especially the navicular and lower medial midfoot, but that shouldn't cause toe numbness. Normally I'd suspect instep pressure, but your numbers are within the standard range for a 28.5 foot. Pressure UNDER the first met might be the problem, and more likely than over the top. Solution could be grinding the footbed and/or bootboard in that area, but hard to diagnose without taking a look in person.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hard to say. The Mach 1 LV is tighter pretty much everywhere than the Cochise, especially the navicular and lower medial midfoot, but that shouldn't cause toe numbness. Normally I'd suspect instep pressure, but your numbers are within the standard range for a 28.5 foot. Pressure UNDER the first met might be the problem, and more likely than over the top. Solution could be grinding the footbed and/or bootboard in that area, but hard to diagnose without taking a look in person.
    -> thanks a bunch will look into that! sounds about right - will contact my shop/bootfitter when I go skiing again. and tinker a bit at home.

Hi Greg,

I've always had issues with finding boots I like, that last and that fit. Most of the shops in the UK don't seem to carry ones for me.

My current set of boots are a set of self modified Salomon 130 race boots with a toe box punches. They are probably 10 years old now and the only set that I've not trashed in a week or that wasn't too big. I'm yet to find a 325mm shell that works for me as they have all been too big and I've just felt like my foot is floating.

They are a 27.5 with a 316mm shell and I've got about 80 millimeters of shell fit. I like the way they ski but the liners are goosed and I'd like something I can tour in at some point.

I tired a set of Atomic Hawx XTD 130s in a 27.5 but couldn't get my feet in, same with their old 27.5 tracker.

Here's my measurements.

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	446578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	446579
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by lordf View Post
    Hi Greg,

I've always had issues with finding boots I like, that last and that fit. Most of the shops in the UK don't seem to carry ones for me.

My current set of boots are a set of self modified Salomon 130 race boots with a toe box punches. They are probably 10 years old now and the only set that I've not trashed in a week or that wasn't too big. I'm yet to find a 325mm shell that works for me as they have all been too big and I've just felt like my foot is floating.

They are a 27.5 with a 316mm shell and I've got about 80 millimeters of shell fit. I like the way they ski but the liners are goosed and I'd like something I can tour in at some point.

I tired a set of Atomic Hawx XTD 130s in a 27.5 but couldn't get my feet in, same with their old 27.5 tracker.

Here's my measurements.

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	446578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	446579
    From what I can see, I'd say 27.5 is the correct shell size (maybe with a length punch on the right) and you'll probably need punches for width as well on both boots. Did you try on the Hawx Ultra XTD or Prime XTD? I would expect you to have trouble getting in the Ultra, as it's PA plastic and your insteps are well above average height. I can't really see all you contours with screen shots, if you'd like me to take a closer look PM me with your real email address and I'll send you a QR code to share your data - I can then rotate the images and get a better look at your feet from the top and sides.

Hey greg,
    I hope you're still checking in here.
    I've always used Salomon boots because they fit me all right without bootfitting, but the Shift 130 in 27.5 feels ok but too large. Not in the toe Box or length but volume.
    I'm really bad at Boot Knowledge and don't know how else to describe it. I just wanted to know what kind of boots should I be looking at? Or is it just the size ans salomon should fit?
    I started to wonder because three weeks ago I nearly froze my left toe off and thought maybe it's because the Boot doesn't fit. ( granted it was a long Tour and Super cold in the shade and I've always had cold feet).

I just thought this could help me narrow down my Boot wishes. I know what I want in skis but have no idea about boots.
    Thanks a lot.

Name:	Screenshot_20230207_203757_Verifyt.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	446649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230207_203743_Verifyt.jpeg 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	446650
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Hey greg,
    I hope you're still checking in here.
    I've always used Salomon boots because they fit me all right without bootfitting, but the Shift 130 in 27.5 feels ok but too large. Not in the toe Box or length but volume.
    I'm really bad at Boot Knowledge and don't know how else to describe it. I just wanted to know what kind of boots should I be looking at? Or is it just the size ans salomon should fit?
    I started to wonder because three weeks ago I nearly froze my left toe off and thought maybe it's because the Boot doesn't fit. ( granted it was a long Tour and Super cold in the shade and I've always had cold feet).
    The Shift Pro is a very roomy fit, and if you had the help of a good bootfiter you could probably drop down to a 26.5 (do you not have access to bootfitting?). Do you need a touring/hybrid boot? If not, try a Salomon S/Pro Alpha (I would do a 26.5 for alpine skiing and punch the forefoot for width). If so, you're probably better off looking at something other than Salomon at present.

Yeah that's what I was asking for since my solly connection is dried up anyway. ( should have mentioned i got them for free)Any recommendations considering my feet?
    All my buddies ski the lupo, but good Shops are hard to come by here so testing is hard and i definitelywould like to do just that.
    I'm open for anything 130flexish and walkable. I'd have to screw on my beast Mods, but usually test works fine.
    Maybe in Zurich.

I'd like some tech inserts and a walk Mode. So no two new boots for me but one hybrid if possible
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Yeah that's what I was asking for since my solly connection is dried up anyway. ( should have mentioned i got them for free)Any recommendations considering my feet?
    All my buddies ski the lupo, but good Shops are hard to come by here so testing is hard and i definitelywould like to do just that.
    I'm open for anything 130flexish and walkable. I'd have to screw on my beast Mods, but usually test works fine.
    Maybe in Zurich.

I'd like some tech inserts and a walk Mode. So no two new boots for me but one hybrid if possible
    The options in snugger fitting hybrid boots are limited - I'd try the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD, Lange XT3 Free LV, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro and Scarpa 4-Quattro XT for starters. Each has pluses and minuses. Haven't skied the new Scarpas, but I've got lots of time on the others and they are all great. 4-Quattro fit is nominally 100mm, but it's a very "stingy" 100 whereas the Shift Pro is a very "generous" 100.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok so I just scanned mine. L = 25.8, foot width 9.9, heel width 7.0, instep height 6.5......R = 25.6, 9.9, 6.9, 6.7.

Is it somewhere in these 23 pages what this means as far as boot brand, volume, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ok so I just scanned mine. L = 25.8, foot width 9.9, heel width 7.0, instep height 6.5......R = 25.6, 9.9, 6.9, 6.7.

Is it somewhere in these 23 pages what this means as far as boot brand, volume, etc?
    Not exactly. Interpreting the Verifyt data and images takes a bit of experience, and then it's usually not a matter of a brand of boot but rather a last category and size (plus options). Unless you do a full body scan, I can't see your ankle above the maleoli or your calves, which also makes a difference. If you want a more detailed analysis, PM me with your real email address and I'll send you a QR code to share your specs and 3D images with me; I'll be able to take a look on a big monitor and rotate the images to see details like instep height/position, forefoot shape, and arch shape better.

Just from those numbers, I'd say you should "probably" be in a 25.5 shell, as narrow as you can go (nothing wider than 98mm), and in something that can be made taller in the instep either by heat molding, manual modification with tools, or grinding bootboard/footbed.

There is an in-store scanning device made by Corpus-e (Sidas and Fischer use it) that will match your foot shape with actual boots if the shop pays for that feature - the Sidas one is pretty good if you happen to be in the store and the salesperson knows what they are doing, the Fischer one only matches you with Fischer boots. We no longer use the Corpus-e machine, as once you are in the store most of the good bootfitters can look at your foot for 30 seconds and tell you the same thing, plus ask the right questions to determine what level of fit is called for for the skier in question.

I use the Verifyt scanner to troubleshoot problems and come up with potential solutions long-distance and have found it to be useful, up to a point. For really troublesome or demanding customers there is no substitute for seeing them and their feet in person, which isn't always possible.

Greg, are you familiar with the Pulse Boot Lab scanning device? I'm curious to know what you think of that device and/or if it's the same as the one you just mentioned. I stopped by their shop while in Revy for a quick heat mold on some Intuition Tour Wraps and had my feet scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Greg, are you familiar with the Pulse Boot Lab scanning device? I'm curious to know what you think of that device and/or if it's the same as the one you just mentioned. I stopped by their shop while in Revy for a quick heat mold on some Intuition Tour Wraps and had my feet scanned.
    Haven't seen it. Do you have a picture?

Hey Greg,
    would appreciate your input if you have the opportunity.
    Currently skiing in a pair of Nordica Speedmachine 130, 26.5 that I had fitted a while back. Really great fit with the stock liner the first year, but as stuff started to pack out a bit i've found that I am starting to have trouble with the heel hold again. I've always been told I have a relatively low volume instep, but I am also starting to wonder if I should be exploring sizing down in the shell before I dump more time/money into fixing the current boot. I've had success with adding in 2 full foot shims to improve the fit, but there is definitely still a bit more sloppiness than I would like. Wondering if you might have any insight - hoping the shell isnt the issue but if it is then no point in hiding it any longer. Also have DM'd you to share verifyt link. Thanks in advance!

Name:	332376822_710866233831983_4957107380805894253_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	448852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	332402263_777390197074675_6705268078867943448_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	448853

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Haven't seen it. Do you have a picture?
    https://i.imgur.com/iV8uMFz.jpeg

Name:	iV8uMFz.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	700.6 KB 
ID:	448887
    Sorry for the big pic, just took one of the shop area. In the left third of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by fbw360 View Post
    Hey Greg,
    would appreciate your input if you have the opportunity.
    Currently skiing in a pair of Nordica Speedmachine 130, 26.5 that I had fitted a while back. Really great fit with the stock liner the first year, but as stuff started to pack out a bit i've found that I am starting to have trouble with the heel hold again. I've always been told I have a relatively low volume instep, but I am also starting to wonder if I should be exploring sizing down in the shell before I dump more time/money into fixing the current boot. I've had success with adding in 2 full foot shims to improve the fit, but there is definitely still a bit more sloppiness than I would like. Wondering if you might have any insight - hoping the shell isnt the issue but if it is then no point in hiding it any longer. Also have DM'd you to share verifyt link. Thanks in advance!

Name:	332376822_710866233831983_4957107380805894253_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	448852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	332402263_777390197074675_6705268078867943448_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	448853
    Check your email for my detailed reply. Basically I think you should go with a narrower last and probably size down as well, but you'll need a bootfitter's help.

Many thanks Greg, really appreciate the detailed response and information!