Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    First of all, you're the man. I do have some shims I ordered in from tognar after seeing you and mtnln and others talk about them in the wtf is wrong with my boots thread. You guys all rock. I'll start messing with those today, conditions are less than ideal so it's a perfect time for boot experimentation.

This feels weird, but here's me feet
    Attachment 357820

As far as Salmon S/Max, does that fit also show up on the downhill focused touring models? (QST Pro Tour / Shift). I mostly ride lifts but do a few tours and am not really feeling like pulling the trigger on a full touring setup yet.
    Actually, I meant a side view screenshot on the Verifyt app (swipe the image) - I'm trying to learn to predict instep (and other challenges) using their numbers and images.

At the moment, Salomon does not offer their walk mode "hybrid" boots in a 98mm - only 100mm (S/Pro and Shift Pro are the same last, QST no longer is offered). Maybe in a year or so?

Lange XT3 LV (or better yet, XT Free LV or lower instep/less volume) might be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Actually, I meant a side view screenshot on the Verifyt app (swipe the image) - I'm trying to learn to predict instep (and other challenges) using their numbers and images.

At the moment, Salomon does not offer their walk mode "hybrid" boots in a 98mm - only 100mm (S/Pro and Shift Pro are the same last, QST no longer is offered). Maybe in a year or so?
    I updated my first post with a side shot so you have 'em in the same place (it's from a different scan, but close enough hopefully). And thank god I can take pics of my feet off the internet, no one needs that in their life.

One last question then I'll quit hijacking your thread - based on the Verifyt data what hybrid boot would you think fits best my weird feet best OOTB? I know this isn't even close to a proper boot fitting, but hoping I can quickly drop in a shop to try an S/Max and whatever hybrid you recommend on without spending forever in there (rona...), just to see what they feel like.

Edit: I dropped a 1/16" shim into one of my boots (hard to get that thing to stay in place when re-inserting the liner) and it feels quite a bit different. I'm just in my house right now, will be doing some groomer laps laps to test it out, but this definitely feels like the right direction. Thanks so much man.
    Last edited by DigSki; 01-14-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Bootfitting makes no sense to me. I typically use Larry out of boulder and currently fit great into a pair of Lange RX 120 26.5s.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (Jan 14, 2021 10 48 28 AM).png 
Views:	153 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	357833
    Name:  Img_2021_01_14_11_01_57.jpeg
Views: 3047
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  Img_2021_01_14_11_01_41.jpeg
Views: 3040
Size:  53.8 KB
    My wife is a size 23. She snowboards specifically due to the lack of ski boot options. I'll see if I can get a scan of those later tonight.

This app (assuming I could get it to work), might have some validity for remote fitting, and if you have no local options, that's obviously a good thing.

One thing that jumps out at me is that it doesn't take heel width and ankle volume into account.

My biggest fit problem is boots with too much ankle volume. I have narrow heels and somewhat bony ankles. The previous generation Maestrales come to mind as a boot that frustrated me in this regard.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

New Foot Scanner App

Name:	Image1610678084.003094.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	357924

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use a Lange RX 120 in 25.5. It is snug, just like I like.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1610678335.061970.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	357926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1610678400.922212.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	357927
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeist View Post
    Bootfitting makes no sense to me. I typically use Larry out of boulder and currently fit great into a pair of Lange RX 120 26.5s.

My wife is a size 23. She snowboards specifically due to the lack of ski boot options. I'll see if I can get a scan of those later tonight.
    Larry Houchen knows what he's doing; that recommendation is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    One thing that jumps out at me is that it doesn't take heel width and ankle volume into account.
    It does measure heel width, but for some reason I can't import those numbers into my business account. No other scanning method really measures ankle volume either, and many bootfitters don't even think about it - you can get a good sense of ankle volume by analyzing the diameter of the ankle where the scan cuts off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    One last question then I'll quit hijacking your thread - based on the Verifyt data what hybrid boot would you think fits best my weird feet best OOTB?
    See post #76 above, assuming by "hybrid" you mean a touring capable boot that skis more or less like a dedicated alpine boot?
    Last edited by gregL; 01-15-2021 at 08:55 AM.

New Foot Scanner App

Makes me want to try some Lange Rx.....

Any punches?

Hi

Nice app and good idea. The intro and narration is nice, but could be skipped a bit for a second reading.

Attached my two scan as well as the one from the fisher scan app.

I am currently in a Nordica Strider 25 boot, 100mm Last

Next to me is a Lange XT3 130 25.5 (non LV, 100mm Last) the photos of the foot, are something very reddened, what do you / you think?
    can this be fixed with a baking of the liner and padding those spots? Or with some grinding of the shell on the inside of the ankle?

Thank you and good luck with the app!

Name:	IMG_5387.PNG 
Views:	111 
Size:	550.6 KB 
ID:	358009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5388.PNG 
Views:	104 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	358010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5389.PNG 
Views:	96 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	358011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5392.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	442.0 KB 
ID:	358012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5391.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	492.5 KB 
ID:	358013

Name:	feet 1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	358020
    Name:  feet 2.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  18.4 KB
    Name:  feet 3.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  17.2 KB
    This is pretty cool. It has the potential to be a very good resource for those of us who live in the boondocks and don't have access to a good selection of boots to try/good fitters to help with the selection process. Observations from my scan are that the general shape/geometry is reasonable, but individual measurements are +/- a few mm and that it's difficult to judge overall fit from three numbers collected from a complex 3D shape. I know with certainty that my right foot is longer than my left foot and I have never identified a functional difference in width between my feet for instance.
    Currently in original shell Full Tilts in a 28.5 for lift-served skiing. Tight one finger shell fit with no punches or any other fit issues. I have described the fit as being "sock-like" with even pressure everywhere.
    Current touring boots are Hawx Prime XTD in a 28.5. Finger and half shell fit. Usually run Intuition Pro Tour liners in place of stock. Instep and ankle/heel are snug. Toe box provides a bit of wiggle room which is appreciated on long days. Still dialing in ramp and forward lean with these, but already do everything better than the Maestrale RS I was in previously. Could probably have gone with the Ultra XTD, but would have required some shell work that I wasn't confident I would get locally. Buddy with very similar feet skis the Ultra, but it took some doing/may not have been his approach if the Prime was available last year.

New Foot Scanner App

This is pretty cool. The demonstration model is worthy. Makes my feet look way prettier than in real life but numbers seem pretty close to what I’ve measured in the past

Only issue was it kept telling me to "move closer" when I actually had to move phone up for wider view

For reference currently in:
    26.5 Lange RX130 100mm last with zipfit liner and no shell work, custom footbed
    26.5 Lange XT freetour LV stock liner with a fair bit of punching for width especially on lateral side and right navicular, off the shelf footbed
    27 TLT5p for touring, off the shelf footbed, if I recall correctly squeezed the shell down to reduce vertical volume and give a bit of width in forefoot
    About to try 26.5 Atomic Hawx XTD - based on preliminary try on I may get away with a liner mold, if not shell mold almost certainly will give me width needed, but I'm concerned about needing to punch for length.

I reckon if I stuck with zipfit liner I'd prefer to be in 97mm LV RX or RS. Stock liner not sure.

I wonder if for ski boot fitting output needs to go up a little higher and address ankle volume in some way

Name:	Screenshot_20210115-121930.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	358054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210115-121946.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	358055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210115-121952.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	358057
    Last edited by dcpnz; 01-15-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceans View Post
    I am currently in a Nordica Strider 25 boot, 100mm Last
    Next to me is a Lange XT3 130 25.5 (non LV, 100mm Last) the photos of the foot, are something very reddened, what do you / you think?
    can this be fixed with a baking of the liner and padding those spots? Or with some grinding of the shell on the inside of the ankle?
    Your foot is much too narrow to be in either of those 100mm boots (my foot is 26.77 long and 117mm wide, and I'm in a 26.5 XT3 LV). The only real issues are instep height (especially the right) and a rather oval ankle shape that pushes the instep further forward. Try grinding the bootboard, thinner footbed, cutting elastic and vinyl out of the liner, stretching instep area with heat, etc.

You have a slight bulge in the medial midfoot area (seen in the photos) that can be accommodated by punching the shell.

[QUOTE=gregL;6201898]Your foot is much too narrow to be in either of those 100mm boots (my foot is 26.77 long and 117mm wide, and I'm in a 26.5 XT3 LV). The only real issues are instep height (especially the right) and a rather oval ankle shape that pushes the instep further forward. Try grinding the bootboard, thinner footbed, cutting elastic and vinyl out of the liner, stretching instep area with heat, etc.

You have a slight bulge in the medial midfoot area (seen in the photos) that can be accommodated by punching the shell.[/]

Thanks Greg for your take on this. Very exciting. The 100mm last perhaps really related to the fact that I often have cramps in the feet?

The LV would be but even tighter over the instep not?

Can the very fine bootboard of the Lange be grinded?

The 100mm last perhaps really related to the fact that I often have cramps in the feet?

The LV would be but even tighter over the instep not?

Can the very fine bootboard of the Lange be grinded?
    Cramps are probably a result of excessive instep pressure and/or poor fitting footbeds.
    An LV last will be 1-2mm lower over the instep, but overall volume is still fine - you need to find someone to modify the profile of the instep region.
    The thin and fragile bootboard on the XT3 is not a good candidate for grinding, unfortunately.
    The last that comes closest to your foot shape is probably the Atomic Ultra - the instep is fairly high, but the small cuff diameter is working against you. Salomon S/Max last would also be a contender for shape, and the bootboard is thick, but no walk mode is available yet.

Greg, isn’t the smax one of the lowest insteps on the market? That’s what I’ve seen.

Cramps are probably a result of excessive instep pressure and/or poor fitting footbeds.
    An LV last will be 1-2mm lower over the instep, but overall volume is still fine - you need to find someone to modify the profile of the instep region.
    The thin and fragile bootboard on the XT3 is not a good candidate for grinding, unfortunately.
    The last that comes closest to your foot shape is probably the Atomic Ultra - the instep is fairly high, but the small cuff diameter is working against you. Salomon S/Max last would also be a contender for shape, and the bootboard is thick, but no walk mode is available yet.
    ok so you would go with the XT3 130 LV - Version and fix the instep with heat on the shell and padding the foot for the liner?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Greg, isn’t the smax one of the lowest insteps on the market? That’s what I’ve seen.
    The X Max was among the lowest, they raised the instep on the S/Max so it is pretty average now, but it heat molds really well with some foam over the cuneiforms.

Here's the wifes small feet. As a note the app made her stand so wide compared to her height, I'm pretty sure she collapsed her instep.

Name:	Screenshot (Jan 16, 2021 1 56 23 PM).png 
Views:	88 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	358237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (Jan 16, 2021 1 56 58 PM).png 
Views:	87 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	358238

Here's the wifes small feet. As a note the app made her stand so wide compared to her height, I'm pretty sure she collapsed her instep.
    Tell your wife gregL from TGR says "thank you!"
    I think the app wants the feet placed in a particular relation to the piece of paper, so everyone is pretty much at the same width . . .

PS What boot is your wife in? Or only snowboard boots? As for ski boots that come in 21.5, you are pretty much limited to Dalbello (3 models) and a few plug race boots.

The X Max was among the lowest, they raised the instep on the S/Max so it is pretty average now, but it heat molds really well with some foam over the cuneiforms.
    Also, the bootboard is quite thick on the new S/Max and you can grind it a bunch.

ok so you would go with the XT3 130 LV - Version and fix the instep with heat on the shell and padding the foot for the liner?
    Personally I would use a lever punch with a wedge to make the instep taller, but what you suggest won't hurt.

Right:
    26 mondo
    Length: 262.9
    Width: 99.3
    Instep: 65.7
    Heel: 68.2

Left:
    26 mondo
    length: 263
    Width: 102
    Instep: 67.4
    Heel: 71

I couldn’t get the screenshot to post, and sounds like you’ve got your sample size but I wanted in on the fun....

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Right:
    26 mondo
    Length: 262.9
    Width: 99.3
    Instep: 65.7
    Heel: 68.2

Left:
    26 mondo
    length: 263
    Width: 102
    Instep: 67.4
    Heel: 71

I couldn’t get the screenshot to post, and sounds like you’ve got your sample size but I wanted in on the fun....

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Thanks, riff. What boots/size are you in?

Name:	IMG_9226.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	358371

27.5 RX130lv
    27.5 Zero-g tour scout

Thinking I might try the xt3 in the standard width.