Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    The shortest foot yet, with what seems like quite a high instep?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1685.PNG 
Views:	145 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	357646

I downloaded directly from the Play store, since I heard about this from a poster here, not from Greg.
    Everything went well until I was scanning Position #2, then that was the end of that.
    Tried again, no way to skip ahead through all the intro material, although watching the model wiggle with the paper sizes again wasn't all that bad.
    Currently stuck on "Please wait. Your model will be prepared soon." ... with a 100% graphic for Uploading Scan Data.
    Displays also says Good Internet Connection and I even placed the phone right next to the modem for several minutes.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    I downloaded directly from the Play store, since I heard about this from a poster here, not from Greg.
    Everything went well until I was scanning Position #2, then that was the end of that.
    Tried again, no way to skip ahead through all the intro material, although watching the model wiggle with the paper sizes again wasn't all that bad.
    Currently stuck on "Please wait. Your model will be prepared soon." ... with a 100% graphic for Uploading Scan Data.
    Displays also says Good Internet Connection and I even placed the phone right next to the modem for several minutes.
    Hi Jonathan,

Hope all is well in W Mass. I've had it crash a couple times while the model was being prepared, supposedly they fixed it but maybe not?

I for the life of me cannot find a flat, clean piece of white paper but would love to join in since I've been bringing you guys my hawx ultra xtds every other week for issues I've been having (I'm the guy who had the epoxy'd shiv when I wanted to get a different forward lean flip chip)

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hi Jonathan,

Hope all is well in W Mass. I've had it crash a couple times while the model was being prepared, supposedly they fixed it but maybe not?
    Probably won't work b/c I've been incessantly hitting refresh on the wx fx to see if for the first USSMA sanctioned skimo race I'm scheduled to organize this coming Sat in W Mass we'll have snow or rain ... or both!
    (Ugh -- especially in the context of the Your Car Is the Lodge paradigm.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Name:	Image1610558679.393473.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	357663

Ski a 25.0 Tecnica Cochise 130 DYN with some stretching to widen from the toe box to just before the ankle. Short wide hobbit feet.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Lots of small feet in here.

Name:	AFCD50A0-BA0B-497B-A351-05AFCC94F3EF.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	357676

Here's some more foot data for you, recent boots have been Zero G Scouts 25.5 and TLT6s 26.5 never needed any punches.

Hobbit feet incoming!

I’m skiing a Salomon QST Pro TR 130 25.5 (2018, the wine red ones). Needed quite a few punches in fifth toe areas and instep.

Name:	feet-3d-scan_snowtastic.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	357842
    Last edited by snowtastic; 01-14-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added side and arch view

I must be some kind of fuck up because I can't seem to quite get it. The first run through didn't work, and the second wouldn't even capture the paper. Floor is red, paper is white. Maybe coffee jitters, but it really needed that thing held precisely for way longer than a credit card reader.

Also, does the model know she can pm me?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Third try. Excuse the rental company that painted the floor for some damn reason.
    Also don't like the mandatory account creation. Not cool. Just generate a hexadecimal identifier or something like that.

Anyway, what am I doing wrong? Everyone else seems to do it no problemClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210113-144324.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	357736
    No longer stuck.

I must be some kind of fuck up because I can't seem to quite get it. The first run through didn't work, and the second wouldn't even capture the paper. Floor is red, paper is white. Maybe coffee jitters, but it really needed that thing held precisely for way longer than a credit card reader.

Also, does the model know she can pm me?
    Not sure what's up. Normally it takes about 2-3 seconds to capture the area around the paper, then about the same length of time after you align the dots. Have you tried a solid colored floor without paint chips?

I got it to work, I guess, but being as my foot is unsupported, it's a bit big. No way would I wear a 28 mondo. I might see if I can get it to work standing on my innersoles. My feet aren't that long or wide with arch support.
    Also, it liked my busy carpet

Name:	Screenshot_20210113-145423.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	357739

Anyway, about that model: very nice, how much?
    No longer stuck.

I wasted an hour today trying to do this. Finally, I was able to complete the scan only to have the app crash before it let me know the results. The problem appeared to be that the app would not allow me to select my "State". Funny thing is that I get all my boots fit by a boot fitter, I know that I am in a 26.5 boot and that my LAST is 110mm. I'm done.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FTR, I typically wear a 27.5 ski boot. I have a long high arch, and somewhat high but not outrageous instep. I pronate a little. I'd describe my foot as a little boney. I typically wear a narrow boot and get it punched for my metatarsal. 98mm Lupo SP is the widest boot I've had in a while. I guess I'm just crazy when it comes to width. I like a firm hold laterally and twisting. For length of shell fit, I have 1 skinny index finger behind my bigger foot and around a finger and a half behind my smaller foot. So, I think length is right and so does my bootfitter. I just don't feel in control if my foot moves much in the boot. Especially in powder and tracked powder. IDK I'm weird. I've fit plenty of people successfully in the past but never myself.
    How much does width change with size given that 98mm is typically the listing for 26? It seems like it varies?
    No longer stuck.

FTR, I typically wear a 27.5 ski boot. I have a long high arch, and somewhat high but not outrageous instep. I pronate a little. I'd describe my foot as a little boney. I typically wear a narrow boot and get it punched for my metatarsal. 98mm Lupo SP is the widest boot I've had in a while. I guess I'm just crazy when it comes to width. I like a firm hold laterally and twisting. For length of shell fit, I have 1 skinny index finger behind my bigger foot and around a finger and a half behind my smaller foot. So, I think length is right and so does my bootfitter. I just don't feel in control if my foot moves much in the boot. Especially in powder and tracked powder. IDK I'm weird. I've fit plenty of people successfully in the past but never myself.
    How much does width change with size given that 98mm is typically the listing for 26? It seems like it varies?
    I don't think the app knows a 28.0 boot does not exist . . . my formula is to put good skiers in their scanned size or .5 mondo smaller, depending on toe shape etc. , average skiers at their scanned size or .5 mondo bigger, new skiers or "a few times a year" types 1-1.5 mondo bigger. The problem is figuring out which skier they are over the Internet; it's usually not that hard in the shop.

With the way a lot of boots are made for "out of box comfort" it seems like one often sizes way down. Even for a casual type fit. Especially with an innersole. Also with modern boots being so upright, I added heal lifts, which adds even more toe room. My toes aren't scrunched at all in a 27.5 "performance" shell fit. It's a 5th met hotspots thing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I wasted an hour today trying to do this. Finally, I was able to complete the scan only to have the app crash before it let me know the results. The problem appeared to be that the app would not allow me to select my "State". Funny thing is that I get all my boots fit by a boot fitter, I know that I am in a 26.5 boot and that my LAST is 110mm. I'm done.
    Hey, entitled rich dipshit, it's a beta program. The more submissions he gets, the more it can get tuned.
    Seriously, every one of your posts is more entitled sounding than almost any Benny post. Maybe I'm the only one that really picks up on it, but JFC dude, did the Yellowstone Club not like your application for membership so you had to settle for PC?
    No longer stuck.

Thanks to everyone who's scanned their feet and shared their data with me; I'm starting to figure out how to use the information to actually fit boots (at least for serious skiers like the TGR crowd). This is a new frontier for Netvirta, too, as they started out simply trying to use their technology to fit street clothes and shoes and ski boots is something of an afterthought.

I've reached the 30 customer limit on my free trial business account, so I can't take any more "linked" scans. I would like to continue to add data sets to my Excel file, however, so if you use the app and attach screenshots to your post here it would be great.

I am including shots from overhead, left side (instep), and oblique front (arch) in the file. You can't rotate top-to-bottom on your phone, but if you could include "instep" and "arch" views (see below) as separate screenshots it would be great.

PS If you have a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/child in the house, you can scan their feet with your account and I'll see it - family members don't count as another "customer."

Thanks again!

Name:  verifyt_side.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  66.8 KB
    Name:  verifyt_arch.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  67.3 KB
    Last edited by gregL; 01-13-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Name:	IMG_8436.PNG 
Views:	119 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	357773
    Name:  IMG_8439.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  33.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_8438.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  34.3 KB
    Super cool app, seems pretty accurate to me. My left foot is indeed longer than my right foot, and I have a very low instep (I've always had a problem with too much instep space in my left boot).
    Last edited by skier2265; 01-13-2021 at 10:54 PM.

I've reached the 30 customer limit on my free trial business account, so I can't take any more "linked" scans.
    If you have a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/child in the house, you can scan their feet with your account and I'll see it - family members don't count as another "customer."
    I'll get you a scan of Mrs Dee Hubbs' feet. I tried twice today, but the app won't let you do a scan if your phone is below 50% battery (weird).

I always thought a cool thread would be to show your feet and measurements and mention boots that did/did not work. This seems like it is kind of close.

Touring boot is 26.5/27 Maestrale
    Resort is a very snug 25.5 S Pro 130

Name:	Screenshot_20210113-190128.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	357777

Name:	Screenshot_20210113-191516.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	357778

Name:	Screenshot_20210113-191618.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	357779

Thanks, keep 'em coming.

Include a screenshot of at least the default front view and one from the side that clearly shows both insteps.

The arch (footbed prediction) function is kind of a non-starter, as Verifyt has zero points that are measured under the foot - the Sidas and Fischer "in store" scanners try to solve this with a pressure-sensitive plate under each foot (the red pads) but it isn't all that effective either.

I did the scan a bunch of times, all results coming in pretty close to each other. And yes, my feet are actually that flat - footprints in firm sand are almost a complete outline of my foot.
    Name:  left_foot.png
Views: 1467
Size:  258.0 KBName:  right_foot.png
Views: 1522
Size:  262.6 KB
    Side view:
    Name:  feet_side.png
Views: 1451
Size:  173.2 KB
    I do get pretty different results with the Fischer app (did this twice, similar results)

Name:	fischer.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	357813

Now what to do with this data...? Seeing mine compared to everyone else's I realize my foot is weird as hell, and it makes me question my current fit. Is there anywhere we can see what boots are good fits for certain ranges of these data points? I got a little carried away with my thoughts below - if I should take this to the "wtf is wrong with my boots" thread, let me know.

I'm currently in a Strider 25.5 this season, shell fit on sides is brushing and heel is ~5mm (I think - still don't know how to properly measure this, is it to the back of the heel heel cup or where the heel cup meets the boot board). I was previously put in a Speedmachine 26.5 by a bootfitter. I think the Speedmachine fit well, but I'm also starting to think two things:
    - my bootfitter was not great (after spending a lot of time browsing TGR boot threads this fall, lots of basic things you guys talk about were not covered)
    - that I might not know what a properly fitted boot feels like. I grew up racing, so I'm used to boots just being clamped down as tight as possible

The Strider also seems like it fits well. I have noticed that I need to take up some space in my instep and shin. I was nearing the end of the ladders with them in the far hole. I got some elminator shims that seem to help, but that also makes it feel like the forefoot has some vertical space. That kind of makes sense to me seeing the data and <60mm instep height being well below normal.

I'm not really sure if I should keep trying to take up volume, if there's an obvious different boot I should move to, or if I should go see a bootfitter in person. I've been hesitant about that cause of the rona, but if there isn't a quick internet fix I will. I ski pretty hard and if I'm in boots that aren't even really in the right ballpark, I think I'd be happy (not happy about spending more money, but happy that harder skiing could be unlocked with some new boots that fit properly )
    Last edited by DigSki; 01-14-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    I'm currently in a Strider 25.5 this season, shell fit on sides is brushing and heel is ~5mm (I think - still don't know how to properly measure this, is it to the back of the heel heel cup or where the heel cup meets the boot board). I was previously put in a Speedmachine 26.5 by a bootfitter. I think the Speedmachine fit well, but I'm also starting to think two things:
    - my bootfitter was not great (after spending a lot of time browsing TGR boot threads this fall, lots of basic things you guys talk about were not covered)
    - that I might not know what a properly fitted boot feels like. I grew up racing, so I'm used to boots just being clamped down as tight as possible

The Strider also seems like it fits well. I have noticed that I need to take up some space in my instep and shin. I was nearing the end of the ladders with them in the far hole. I got some elminator shims that seem to help, but that also makes it feel like the forefoot has some vertical space. That kind of makes sense to me seeing the data and <60mm instep height being well below normal.

I'm not really sure if I should keep trying to take up volume, if there's an obvious different boot I should move to, or if I should go see a bootfitter in person. I've been hesitant about that cause of the rona, but if there isn't a quick internet fix I will. I ski pretty hard and if I'm in boots that aren't even really in the right ballpark, I think I'd be happy (not happy about spending more money, but happy that harder skiing could be unlocked with some new boots that fit properly )
    The advantage of going to a 25.5 is the boot is 2mm narrower and the instep is probably 1mm lower; if you can make it work for length, great. The Strider and Speedmachine use the same 100mm last, FWIW.

Assuming you have a proper footbed in place, the next step to reduce instep height (yes, 58-59mm is very low for your length) is to add Bontex (a brand of fiberboard) shims - they come in 1, 2 and 3mm thicknesses and you can mix or match one or more. You can substitute any sort of high-grade cardboard if you don't have access to these, they are simply cardboard that doesn't disintegrate when wet. They go under the liner, above the bootboard. Drill another hole for your buckle ladders if you need to reduce cuff diameter.

You could certainly try a lower volume last (105mm in a 27 isn't wide by any means) in a mid-to-low instep brand (no one really makes "low" insteps anymore) - Salomon S/Max would be a good place to start (older X/Max even better if you can find one, the instep was lower). Probably steer away from Atomic Hawx Ultra and Tecnica Mach 1 LV, not because they aren't great boots, but because the insteps run high. Going to a 97-98mm last will reduce volume and typically reduce instep height as well.

Could you throw up a side view of your feet in your post?

PS The more you size down (and narrower) the more likely you'll have to see a good bootfitter in person.
    Last edited by gregL; 01-14-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Could you throw up a side view of your feet in your post?
    First of all, you're the man. I do have some shims I ordered in from tognar after seeing you and mtnln and others talk about them in the wtf is wrong with my boots thread. You guys all rock. I'll start messing with those today, conditions are less than ideal so it's a perfect time for boot experimentation.

As far as Salmon S/Max, does that fit also show up on the downhill focused touring models? (QST Pro Tour / Shift). I mostly ride lifts but do a few tours and am not really feeling like pulling the trigger on a full touring setup yet.