Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
    Hey Greg!
    finally got the chance to use the app as I start my search for potentially some new boots.
    I'm currently in a 27.5 boot (K2 Mindbender 130) which I got "fitted" for a couple years ago. I'm touring predominantly now, so I'm looking to get into more of a tech boot. Hoping you can help me understand my measurements and what I'm experiencing with my current boots, which I feel like can be a lack of length and last width.

Measurements:
    L: Length: 27.2 Width: 10.8 Heel Width: 6.8 Instep: 7.6
    R: Length: 26.9 Width: 11.1 Heel Width: 7.0 Instep: 8.0
    Did you share your scan data using the QR code? If so, what email address did you use - I can tell a lot more by actually looking at and manipulating your images. How light a tech boot are you looking for?

Just from the numbers, your insteps are very tall for your foot length (normal range for a 27.5 is 67 to 72mm), so unless the bootfitter did something extraordinary you are probably losing circulation and your feet are getting numb and cold.

Shared, email address initials are TM. Thanks, appreciate your help.
    I definitely struggle from numb feet, big time.

A bit lighter for big touring missions (~2,000M elevation), but at 93 KG I can only do so much. Hoping to narrow down some brands and what I should be looking for in last and instep. Strong skiier.

Was thinking about a Blizz 130 or Dynafit 130, but for no real reason other than they are lighter than my K2 which are neither comfy or durable right now for bigger touring missions.
    Last edited by rockymtn; 08-31-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
    Shared, email address initials are TM. Thanks, appreciate your help.
    I definitely struggle from numb feet, big time.

A bit lighter for big touring missions (~2,000M elevation), but at 93 KG I can only do so much. Hoping to narrow down some brands and what I should be looking for in last and instep. Strong skiier.

Was thinking about a Blizz 130 or Dynafit 130, but for no real reason other than they are lighter than my K2 which are neither comfy or durable right now for bigger touring missions.
    Just looked at your images - yeah, tall instep and it's located far forward as well. At 93 kilos I don't think you want to drop below 1300 to 1500 grams, and you'll need some bootfitting help with the instep and width at the forefoot. I'd say stick with a 27.5 and try an Atomic Hawx Prime XTD 130 or a Tecnica (I think you mean this when you say "Blizz") Zero G Tour Pro. The Atomic will probably work with a thorough heat mold with foam over the instep, the Tecnica is lighter but requires more bootfitter skill to raise the instep.

Hey Greg- I've been posting with you here about my issues with the Atomic Hawk Prime 110 and my instep. I tried on a K2 Recon 100 27.5 and found it to be better on the instep. Toe box is tighter at the top, and the heel may be a tad looser, but its snug forefoot wise. Anyway, I wondered about your thoughts on switching to the Recon. Is it actually larger on the instep or was that a function of going down in flex a bit? I can tell that the liner is thinner and does not have the stiffer plastic around the calf and instep, so I wonder if that's part of it too. K2 does not have a 110, and I'm a bit nervous that the 120 may be too much and the 100 may not be enough boot as well. But, it's lighter and feels like it fits better, at least out of the box. Thanks again for your advice for those of us without good local bootfitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DerKommissar View Post
    Hey Greg- I've been posting with you here about my issues with the Atomic Hawk Prime 110 and my instep. I tried on a K2 Recon 100 27.5 and found it to be better on the instep. Toe box is tighter at the top, and the heel may be a tad looser, but its snug forefoot wise. Anyway, I wondered about your thoughts on switching to the Recon. Is it actually larger on the instep or was that a function of going down in flex a bit? I can tell that the liner is thinner and does not have the stiffer plastic around the calf and instep, so I wonder if that's part of it too. K2 does not have a 110, and I'm a bit nervous that the 120 may be too much and the 100 may not be enough boot as well. But, it's lighter and feels like it fits better, at least out of the box. Thanks again for your advice for those of us without good local bootfitting.
    K2 Recon MV boots run soft and roomy, so if you're foot says it's better I'd say listen to it. A 120 K2 is probably similar in flex to a 110 Hawx Prime. The Recons also heat mold well, so heat the shell and do the foam over the instep thing to get the best results.

Thanks- I really appreciate the feedback. I'll give the Recon 120 MV a shot. I also tried a 28.5 Hawx Prime 110. It solved the instep but there was way too much room when doing a shell fit. Still felt good in the heel and forefoot, I think once the liner packs a bit it would be pretty sloppy.

Posting for my brother since he doesn’t want to make a TGR account but keeps striking out with his touring boots.

Stats:

Ability: “recreational” Expert (Some freeride camps as a kid, no racing)
    Days skied / season: 50ish (Touring about half of those)
    Home Resort: Whistler. Most touring in slackcountry and bigger days up the Duffey.

Looking For: A pure touring boot. Driving a moment Wildcat 108 Tour with ATK’s. We do some rocky scrambles and sketchy boot packs, so a full touring sole is very appreciated.

Foot Measurements relayed by iMessage:

L Length: 253 mm
    L Heel: 62 mm
    L Instep: 71mm
    L Width: 98 mm

R Length: 250 mm
    R Heel: 65 mm
    R Instep: 72 mm
    R Width: 99mm

Current Alpine Boot: 24.5 Promachine from FanatykCo. Says it’s about a 8-10mm shell fit. Some work done to accommodate his high instep. Some liner work done too (instep window). He needs boot heaters to prevent frostnip even with all the work, but says they ski well for him.

He found his old 25.5 Lupo 130 C’s OK, but hated the pfaff associated with the removable tongue and the grip walk soles. We have a ton of choice for fitters here in Whistler, but he’s looking for opinions on particular models he should seek out to try on.

If Promachine is resort boot of choice and he needs full sole with some instep relief, then the Lange would be the choice IMO. Tecnica will be tight on instep but bootboard can be ground fair bit.

I run a ZGTP and have told him about my instep woes. His feet are a bit shorter than mine, but also a bit wider.

I was asking about the Lange for myself in another thread. Finally got a chance to try them on in person but wasn’t overly impressed with the tour mode once I dropped my intuitions in to the shells. Felt like a 50/50 boot. Maybe he’ll have a different experience.

When I asked if there were other details he wanted to provide he said his feet tend to get pretty cold in narrow lasted boots. Shops like escape route in town have steered him towards a Maestrale RS in the past - just not sure how well versed their boot fitter is. Might just be a case of them selling what they have in stock that fits OOTB. He seems to think if he tried to walk for 5-6 hours in a fit like his Promachine he’d probably lose some nails and get frostbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Posting for my brother since he doesn’t want to make a TGR account but keeps striking out with his touring boots.

Stats:

Ability: “recreational” Expert (Some freeride camps as a kid, no racing)
    Days skied / season: 50ish (Touring about half of those)
    Home Resort: Whistler. Most touring in slackcountry and bigger days up the Duffey.

Looking For: A pure touring boot. Driving a moment Wildcat 108 Tour with ATK’s. We do some rocky scrambles and sketchy boot packs, so a full touring sole is very appreciated.

Foot Measurements relayed by iMessage:

L Length: 253 mm
    L Heel: 62 mm
    L Instep: 71mm
    L Width: 98 mm

R Length: 250 mm
    R Heel: 65 mm
    R Instep: 72 mm
    R Width: 99mm

Current Alpine Boot: 24.5 Promachine from FanatykCo. Says it’s about a 8-10mm shell fit. Some work done to accommodate his high instep. Some liner work done too (instep window). He needs boot heaters to prevent frostnip even with all the work, but says they ski well for him.

He found his old 25.5 Lupo 130 C’s OK, but hated the pfaff associated with the removable tongue and the grip walk soles. We have a ton of choice for fitters here in Whistler, but he’s looking for opinions on particular models he should seek out to try on.
    It would help if you could get him to download the app and share the data with me, as others in the thread have done. With numbers alone, I can't see his relative instep contours and fore/aft placement of the tallest portion of the instep. I also can't see the relative width of forefoot and midfoot without the images.

The guys I've met at FanatykCo are very good; what do they recommend? I typically don't like to recommend anything to anyone without at least a scan, and preferably seeing their foot in person - and that implies I can work on the boot with my tools in my shop.

As you probably realize, the options in touring boots under 1500 grams that tour well and can drive a wider ski are very limited. Since he probably needs a 24.5 and has the instep of a person with a 27.5 foot, you should look for a boot/bootfitter with "increased instep height potential" whether that means heating and re-forming the instep manually, grinding the bootboard, whatever.

PS Coldness/numbness is almost always a product of instep pressure, not necessarily low volume in general (there is also genetic propensity toward poor circulation, poor sock choice, calf pressure, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It would help if you could get him to download the app and share the data with me, as others in the thread have done. With numbers alone, I can't see his relative instep contours and fore/aft placement of the tallest portion of the instep. I also can't see the relative width of forefoot and midfoot without the images.

The guys I've met at FanatykCo are very good; what do they recommend? I typically don't like to recommend anything to anyone without at least a scan, and preferably seeing their foot in person - and that implies I can work on the boot with my tools in my shop.

As you probably realize, the options in touring boots under 1500 grams that tour well and can drive a wider ski are very limited. Since he probably needs a 24.5 and has the instep of a person with a 27.5 foot, you should look for a boot/bootfitter with "increased instep height potential" whether that means heating and re-forming the instep manually, grinding the bootboard, whatever.

PS Coldness/numbness is almost always a product of instep pressure, not necessarily low volume in general (there is also genetic propensity toward poor circulation, poor sock choice, calf pressure, etc.)
    Thanks Greg. I’ll tell him to follow the guide. I think one of the FCo fitters off hand mentioned that the Radical Pro fits the instep / wider forefoot - but he doesn’t sell Dynafit.

Our insteps are a familial curse it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Thanks Greg. I’ll tell him to follow the guide. I think one of the FCo fitters off hand mentioned that the Radical Pro fits the instep / wider forefoot - but he doesn’t sell Dynafit.

Our insteps are a familial curse it seems.
    Well, the Radical Pro does have a fairly relaxed instep, but it's loose everywhere else, too. In addition, it doesn't have a bootboard, just an adhesive rubber layer under the liner so there's nothing to grind (fewer options when it comes to making more instep room). If you have a decently stiff and thin footbed you can remove the rubber mat and just go without, though.

Stupid question since I know this is the informal "ask gregL" thread:

I bought a pair of cheap mondo 25 zipfits last season and attempted to ski in 26 shell (Lange RS 140) with them for a while, as an experiment. They felt pretty good everywhere except the forefoot area, where there just wasn't enough volume. The top of my foot started to hurt after a few days and I shelved the idea until the next season.

Is there a way to add volume to that area, or am I trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? I did try stacking a bit of duct tape to add volume, but it tended to unstick itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Stupid question since I know this is the informal "ask gregL" thread:

I bought a pair of cheap mondo 25 zipfits last season and attempted to ski in 26 shell (Lange RS 140) with them for a while, as an experiment. They felt pretty good everywhere except the forefoot area, where there just wasn't enough volume. The top of my foot started to hurt after a few days and I shelved the idea until the next season.

Is there a way to add volume to that area, or am I trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? I did try stacking a bit of duct tape to add volume, but it tended to unstick itself.
    Am I missing something? Adding duct tape anywhere inside the shell will decrease volume, not increase it. You want more room, right? The basics are generally: grind the bootboard, grind the footbed, cut material out of the liner. Pretty hard to actually raise the roof of the forefoot without destroying the already marginal Lange water seal . . .

Am I missing something? Adding duct tape anywhere inside the shell will decrease volume, not increase it. You want more room, right? The basics are generally: grind the bootboard, grind the footbed, cut material out of the liner. Pretty hard to actually raise the roof of the forefoot without destroying the already marginal Lange water seal . . .
    Sorry, I realize now I worded that confusingly. I mean to say that the liners did not take up enough volume, e.g. there is a bit of dead space between the liner and the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Sorry, I realize now I worded that confusingly. I mean to say that the liners did not take up enough volume, e.g. there is a bit of dead space between the liner and the shell.
    I think self-adhesive foam is a better bet than duct tape.

I think self-adhesive foam is a better bet than duct tape.
    That looks good, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Hey Greg - I just finished reading through all 22 pages of this thread. There is some great stuff in here. The advice you have given is awesome.

I have attached my scans. I tried to share via the QR link, but keep getting an error (see below). If there is a another way to share, let me know. I am currently in a heat molded K2 Recon MV 120i n 25.5 and while it fits ok, it's not great. Tight in the toes, but does not feel snug in the heel and I have to over-tighten the third buckle to feel somewhat locked in. I have added some padding to help lock the heel better, but think I want a new boot. My previous boot was a Salomon X-Max 120 in a 25.5 and was best fitting boot ever. Felt really locked in. It had to be heat molded, and had the boot board and footbed ground down some to relieve pressure on the instep to keep my toes from losing circulation. It felt long for a 25.5, which was great.

I am intrigued by what I have read about the Salomon S/Pro Alpha. Is this a good option? It's my understanding that they raised the instep height compared to the S/Max, which I found in the instep to very low compared to the X-Max and Recon. The other I have been considering is the Atomic Hawx Ultra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7CA5454-D50A-41A1-B878-54AAF49F6654.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	439150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D05EF9E-F2F5-4DE0-A51E-BCC14244B48F.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	846.2 KB 
ID:	439151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7D55189-43F4-481D-96FE-DC69E6E4897B.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	439152

I recently rescanned my feet and am curious as to what boots I should be looking into? I've skied Lange RX130 LV boots for years without any trouble, but am starting to be other brand curious...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Borracho View Post
    Hey Greg - I just finished reading through all 22 pages of this thread. There is some great stuff in here. The advice you have given is awesome.

I have attached my scans. I tried to share via the QR link, but keep getting an error (see below). If there is a another way to share, let me know. I am currently in a heat molded K2 Recon MV 120i n 25.5 and while it fits ok, it's not great. Tight in the toes, but does not feel snug in the heel and I have to over-tighten the third buckle to feel somewhat locked in. I have added some padding to help lock the heel better, but think I want a new boot. My previous boot was a Salomon X-Max 120 in a 25.5 and was best fitting boot ever. Felt really locked in. It had to be heat molded, and had the boot board and footbed ground down some to relieve pressure on the instep to keep my toes from losing circulation. It felt long for a 25.5, which was great.

I am intrigued by what I have read about the Salomon S/Pro Alpha. Is this a good option? It's my understanding that they raised the instep height compared to the S/Max, which I found in the instep to very low compared to the X-Max and Recon. The other I have been considering is the Atomic Hawx Ultra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7CA5454-D50A-41A1-B878-54AAF49F6654.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	439150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D05EF9E-F2F5-4DE0-A51E-BCC14244B48F.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	846.2 KB 
ID:	439151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7D55189-43F4-481D-96FE-DC69E6E4897B.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	439152
    Yes, I think either the S/Pro Alpha or Hawx Ultra XTD would be good (possibly the best) bets in a recreational boot - it depends on large part on the circumference of your ankles, but the cross section looks narrow (I can't see above the maleoli) and these are the two snuggest fitting cuffs on the market currently. You shouldn't have to grind the bootboard on either (the Hawx Ultra is a tad higher) for instep clearance if you do a good heat mold with some foam over the cuneiforms.

The main question is whether you can drop to a 25.5 with perhaps a little toe punch on the left foot.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    I recently rescanned my feet and am curious as to what boots I should be looking into? I've skied Lange RX130 LV boots for years without any trouble, but am starting to be other brand curious...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    i really need to see more information (and preferably your ankle and calf as well) before recommending specific boot models - the data from one foot without being able to turn the image to see toe shape and instep contours is pretty meager. If you can post screen shots of both feet from overhead and the side, or link to my Verifyt business account so I can look at the images on a big monitor and manipulate them it would help. The previous poster indicates something might be wrong with the QR code a few pages back, let me know if it works for you. If not PM me with your real email address and I will send you the current QR code - it seems no one in our company is using Verifyt as a remote bootfitting tool except me now, so there may be other issues.

That said, if you've been happy with a Lange LV 97mm last in the past, the boots have only gotten better. Unless some other company is offering to pay you to use their product, I don't see much incentive to change. Note: the RX boots will see a drastic change for '23-'24, so it might be worth waiting.

Is the XT3 also going to change significantly for '23-'24?

i really need to see more information (and preferably your ankle and calf as well) before recommending specific boot models - the data from one foot without being able to turn the image to see toe shape and instep contours is pretty meager. If you can post screen shots of both feet from overhead and the side, or link to my Verifyt business account so I can look at the images on a big monitor and manipulate them it would help. The previous poster indicates something might be wrong with the QR code a few pages back, let me know if it works for you. If not PM me with your real email address and I will send you the current QR code - it seems no one in our company is using Verifyt as a remote bootfitting tool except me now, so there may be other issues.

That said, if you've been happy with a Lange LV 97mm last in the past, the boots have only gotten better. Unless some other company is offering to pay you to use their product, I don't see much incentive to change. Note: the RX boots will see a drastic change for '23-'24, so it might be worth waiting.
    Okay, where is the QR code so I can try to scan it to link your account?

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Okay, where is the QR code so I can try to scan it to link your account?
    Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

I've also posted it a few times in this thread but you'll have to go back a bit to find it.

Thanks Greg. I appreciate this.