Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Need help in Seattle with re-fitting a current boot

Hi Greg,
    I have heard about your name through the local community here in Seattle and was wondering if you are available still at EVO for a bootfitting consult? I have a pair of Dynafit Hoji Free boots that fit me last year (not great but fit better after some punching) but just are very painful this year. I had an ankle fracture last summer which may have changed the shape of my foot but was hoping these could still be salvaged. I get extreme pain in my arch when touring (on both feet), as well as a hot spot on my lower inner heel causing blistering.

I have an appt at EVO on Fri Feb 4th, but not sure what days you work? We can discuss more via PM.

Best,
    Raja

Quote Originally Posted by RBPNW View Post
    Hi Greg,
    I have heard about your name through the local community here in Seattle and was wondering if you are available still at EVO for a bootfitting consult? I have a pair of Dynafit Hoji Free boots that fit me last year (not great but fit better after some punching) but just are very painful this year. I had an ankle fracture last summer which may have changed the shape of my foot but was hoping these could still be salvaged. I get extreme pain in my arch when touring (on both feet), as well as a hot spot on my lower inner heel causing blistering.

I have an appt at EVO on Fri Feb 4th, but not sure what days you work? We can discuss more via PM.

Best,
    Raja
    i normally work Friday, but I'll be gone all that week for ski testing and family stuff - see if you can get another slot.

Hey Greg, wondering if I can get your opinion on some new touring boots. The locals in Spokane haven't been super confidence-inspiring.

Currently in Hawx XTD 120 27.5, Intuition Pro Tours- heat molded shells/liners with met punches- still end up with excruciating pain during most tours on the outside of my right foot, it's fairly wide all the way back to almost my heel. My calf also feels way too big for the stovepipe cuff, pushing my knee a couple inches in front of the toe of the boot with any flex, but I've dealt with it.

Resort boots are Lange RX130 26.5 with Pro Wraps- fit ok with large punches on both mets plus widening out the right middle outside of the foot-

My XTD's are wearing out- the lower shell pooches out when flexed and the pivots are getting super sloppy, with all the new boots on the market I thought I'd see whats out there. Looking in the same ~1300-1500g range, also have brand new Tour Wraps I can use to improve the fit once I find a shell. Especially interested in the Radical Pros but concerned about the heel hold- the Hoji Frees in 27.5 felt decent in forefoot but lacked any kind of heel hold for me.

If you have a couple recs, I'd be happy to make an Evo appointment with you to go over them. Thanks a ton.

Name:  IMG-3713.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  92.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3712.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	403556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3720.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	403557

Also looking for advice. Currently in a 28.5 Lange RS110. Mostly a great fit, so not sure if I'm in my own head here or not. Feeling more loose recently. Could be that I'm skiing more, so combo of my foot slimming down due to more time in boots compared to years past, and liners packing down more. Or...I'm over thinking my skiing sensation.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Hey Greg, wondering if I can get your opinion on some new touring boots. The locals in Spokane haven't been super confidence-inspiring.

Currently in Hawx XTD 120 27.5, Intuition Pro Tours- heat molded shells/liners with met punches- still end up with excruciating pain during most tours on the outside of my right foot, it's fairly wide all the way back to almost my heel. My calf also feels way too big for the stovepipe cuff, pushing my knee a couple inches in front of the toe of the boot with any flex, but I've dealt with it.

Resort boots are Lange RX130 26.5 with Pro Wraps- fit ok with large punches on both mets plus widening out the right middle outside of the foot-

My XTD's are wearing out- the lower shell pooches out when flexed and the pivots are getting super sloppy, with all the new boots on the market I thought I'd see whats out there. Looking in the same ~1300-1500g range, also have brand new Tour Wraps I can use to improve the fit once I find a shell. Especially interested in the Radical Pros but concerned about the heel hold- the Hoji Frees in 27.5 felt decent in forefoot but lacked any kind of heel hold for me.

If you have a couple recs, I'd be happy to make an Evo appointment with you to go over them. Thanks a ton.
    It sounds like you need to have someone make the boot wider all the way past the styloids, not just at the met heads. Hard to tell from looking at your scans (actually even if you share your scans with me it's hard to see this on a big monitor without having you in the shop). Is this the Hawx Ultra XTD or Prime XTD?

If you are planning a trip to Seattle, I work Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at evo - I'll be out all this week testing skis and out the week of March 5-12 as well. Try to get a reservation here, and request "Greg" in the notes:

https://evo-appointments.square.site/

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Also looking for advice. Currently in a 28.5 Lange RS110. Mostly a great fit, so not sure if I'm in my own head here or not. Feeling more loose recently. Could be that I'm skiing more, so combo of my foot slimming down due to more time in boots compared to years past, and liners packing down more. Or...I'm over thinking my skiing sensation.
    It is in all likelihood a combination of skiing more, skiing faster, and boots packing out.

Not exactly sure which boot you are in. They make an RS 110 SC in a 97mm last (but I don't think it comes bigger than 27.5) and an RS 110 Wide (which does come in a 28.5). If you are in a 100mm last, you should get a narrower boot and have a bootfitter make it comfortable. You could also conceivably get a 27.5 to work and it will be 2mm narrower, but again you'll need access to good bootfitting.

How much do you weigh? I suspect you are "underbooted" in a 110 flex as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It is in all likelihood a combination of skiing more, skiing faster, and boots packing out.

Not exactly sure which boot you are in. They make an RS 110 SC in a 97mm last (but I don't think it comes bigger than 27.5) and an RS 110 Wide (which does come in a 28.5). If you are in a 100mm last, you should get a narrower boot and have a bootfitter make it comfortable. You could also conceivably get a 27.5 to work and it will be 2mm narrower, but again you'll need access to good bootfitting.

How much do you weigh? I suspect you are "underbooted" in a 110 flex as well.
    6' 200lbs. If it helps I used to be in the old Technica Icon (pic below). I don't have them or remember the size. But they were definitely race fit (and cold). I'm 56, so went with the softer flex, but feel I can still over power the boots. I also have it in my head that the ramp angle and shin angle are messing with me (I had watched the fitting video posted someplace in the forums explaining the differences and feel like I'm too upright).

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    6' 200lbs. If it helps I used to be in the old Technica Icon (pic below). I don't have them or remember the size. But they were definitely race fit (and cold). I'm 56, so went with the softer flex, but feel I can still over power the boots. I also have it in my head that the ramp angle and shin angle are messing with me (I had watched the fitting video posted someplace in the forums explaining the differences and feel like I'm too upright).
    The current crop of boots is more upright than in the old days; Dalbello's default runs 11 degrees (most upright) and Atomic's default is 15 degrees (most forward), but everyone used to be at 15-18 degrees and most race boots still are.

The upright stance doesn't work for everyone. If you feel you want more forward lean the easiest way to play around with it is to take a few cuff shims with you and try them out. Bootboard ramp is very consistent from brand to brand, rarely varying from a standard 4 degrees, and experienced skiers typically don't respond well to major changes.

I still don't know if you're in a 97mm or 100mm Lange . . .

I'd bet that my Lange are 100, I examined the shell and while I see markings for shell size, can't find a width indicator anywhere. When I bought them, I hadn't been skiing more than 5 days a season and seemed to have sumnmer sandal feet year-round. I probably went wider for comfort.

It sounds like you need to have someone make the boot wider all the way past the styloids, not just at the met heads. Hard to tell from looking at your scans (actually even if you share your scans with me it's hard to see this on a big monitor without having you in the shop). Is this the Hawx Ultra XTD or Prime XTD?

If you are planning a trip to Seattle, I work Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at evo - I'll be out all this week testing skis and out the week of March 5-12 as well. Try to get a reservation here, and request "Greg" in the notes:

https://evo-appointments.square.site/
    Thanks a ton. I’m currently in the Ultra XTD. I’ll plan on swinging through Evo in February, I’ve got a couple trips planned that way anyway.

Hey Greg, what do you think of my Verifyt results? Too new to add links/images so...

Left - 25.9 foot length, 9.4 foot width, 6.3 heel width, 7.1 instep height
    Right - 25.7 foot length, 9.6 foot width, 6.5 heel width, 7.2 instep height

Note, I repeated the measurements a couple times & got varying results eg. lengths in the mid 24s. Seems to depend a lot on lighting. But either way, foot width was low to mid 9s, heel width was high 5s to low 6s, and instep height was about 7cm.

I've been told I have a narrow heel & high instep, not sure if that matches with the numbers above. At the start of this season a bootfitter got me into 25.5 Lange XT3 120s. They haven't really been working out though. Feel pretty sloppy, especially in the calf, despite having also numbness issues presumably from my insteps.

Any boots that spring to mind? Appreciate any feedback Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rjenz View Post
    Hey Greg, what do you think of my Verifyt results? Too new to add links/images so...

Left - 25.9 foot length, 9.4 foot width, 6.3 heel width, 7.1 instep height
    Right - 25.7 foot length, 9.6 foot width, 6.5 heel width, 7.2 instep height

Note, I repeated the measurements a couple times & got varying results eg. lengths in the mid 24s. Seems to depend a lot on lighting. But either way, foot width was low to mid 9s, heel width was high 5s to low 6s, and instep height was about 7cm.

I've been told I have a narrow heel & high instep, not sure if that matches with the numbers above. At the start of this season a bootfitter got me into 25.5 Lange XT3 120s. They haven't really been working out though. Feel pretty sloppy, especially in the calf, despite having also numbness issues presumably from my insteps.

Any boots that spring to mind? Appreciate any feedback Thanks!
    In addition to the numbers, I need to be able to see your 3D images from different angles - can you share your data with me? Open the app and let the images generate, then use the icon in the lower left corner that looks like boxes and scan the QR code below. Let me know when you finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vf_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	404807

Name:  vf_qr.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  101.1 KB

In addition to the numbers, I need to be able to see your 3D images from different angles - can you share your data with me? Open the app and let the images generate, then use the icon in the lower left corner that looks like boxes and scan the QR code below. Let me know when you finish.
    Done, thanks Greg!

PS. Not sure how much I trust the latest scan I did, it has my right foot as longer when in reality it's the other way around. I guess it's in the ballpark though.

Done, thanks Greg!

PS. Not sure how much I trust the latest scan I did, it has my right foot as longer when in reality it's the other way around. I guess it's in the ballpark though.
    Is yours the scan with the left @ 23.9 and the right @ 24.4 (Sorry, there are thousands of scans in our database now and I don't have your email)? And the previous scan was 25.7/25.9? That's a pretty big discrepancy . . . What do you get when you just measure the length of your foot from the wall and measure with a ruler?

Yes, your foot is fairly narrow, especially at the heel, and you have a relatively high instep for a 24.5 foot - average is around 61mm to 66mm and yours says 72mm and 70mm (plus the instep is far forward). Your best bet is to try to fit the heel and instep as well as possible (or at least have a strategy for dealing with those areas) and have a bootfitter make the toebox wider where needed.

Are you in the low volume (LV) version of the XT3 120? That's not a terrible place to start, but 25.5 is too big if these numbers are accurate. If it's a 100mm last, that's too wide. You will need some bootfitter help with the insteps in a 24.5.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD will be a better match out of the box and is easily made taller in the instep with heat molding. They run a tad short, but if the numbers are accurate in the scan you sent I would still choose 24.5.

Feel free to ask more questions if need be or if these aren't the answers you're looking for.

Is yours the scan with the left @ 23.9 and the right @ 24.4 (Sorry, there are thousands of scans in our database now and I don't have your email)? And the previous scan was 25.7/25.9? That's a pretty big discrepancy . . . What do you get when you just measure the length of your foot from the wall and measure with a ruler?

Yes, your foot is fairly narrow, especially at the heel, and you have a relatively high instep for a 24.5 foot - average is around 61mm to 66mm and yours says 72mm and 70mm (plus the instep is far forward). Your best bet is to try to fit the heel and instep as well as possible (or at least have a strategy for dealing with those areas) and have a bootfitter make the toebox wider where needed.

Are you in the low volume (LV) version of the XT3 120? That's not a terrible place to start, but 25.5 is too big if these numbers are accurate. If it's a 100mm last, that's too wide. You will need some bootfitter help with the insteps in a 24.5.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD will be a better match out of the box and is easily made taller in the instep with heat molding. They run a tad short, but if the numbers are accurate in the scan you sent I would still choose 24.5.

Feel free to ask more questions if need be or if these aren't the answers you're looking for.
    Ahh nope that's not me, I don't think. It'll be the scan with (L/R) foot length 24.6/25.2, foot width 9.1/9.4, heel width 5.9/6.5, instep height 7.0/6.9cm

The current XT3s are the standard version, not LV.

When I measure length using a wall - left is 25.8cm and right is 25.5cm. A similar technique for foot width gets - left 9.5cm and right 9.7cm.

Actually just did a video consultation with a local bootfitter who's independent of any stores/brands (he gets you to take a bunch of photos/measurements of your feet). He reckoned a 25.5 in the Dalbello Lupo line would be the best option for me. What do you reckon about that suggestion? FYI have got skinny calves in addition to narrow ankles/high instep. Apparently Lupos are good for that combo? Also currently have foot numbness issues in the 25.5 XT3s, presumably from my insteps.

Ahh nope that's not me, I don't think. It'll be the scan with (L/R) foot length 24.6/25.2, foot width 9.1/9.4, heel width 5.9/6.5, instep height 7.0/6.9cm

The current XT3s are the standard version, not LV.

When I measure length using a wall - left is 25.8cm and right is 25.5cm. A similar technique for foot width gets - left 9.5cm and right 9.7cm.

Actually just did a video consultation with a local bootfitter who's independent of any stores/brands (he gets you to take a bunch of photos/measurements of your feet). He reckoned a 25.5 in the Dalbello Lupo line would be the best option for me. What do you reckon about that suggestion? FYI have got skinny calves in addition to narrow ankles/high instep. Apparently Lupos are good for that combo? Also currently have foot numbness issues in the 25.5 XT3s, presumably from my insteps.
    Sorry about that, I need your email address or the name you registered with Verifyt to tell which scan is yours.

Lupo is a decent narrowish fit in the forefoot, but pretty loose in the ankle; calf depends on which liner you get and how they handle the molding (wrap is better for narrow calf). Plus, if you are actually planning on touring the walk mode sucks. 25.5 is probably the right length, though. Lupo is good for tall insteps.

I'd be more inclined to go with a 25.5 Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD, but I'm not there to do the fitting (unless you're in the Pacific Northwest).

PS If you tell me the date the scan was done and your initials, I can probably find it - I've got around 4,300 plus scans in there now.
    Just pm'd you now. I don't think I had the ability to private message initially (new account) but seem to be able to now

Just pm'd you now. I don't think I had the ability to private message initially (new account) but seem to be able to now
    Got it. Check your email for my answers.

Let me know if you have further questions.

New Foot Scanner App

Hi Greg! Wow thanks for helping so many out here. I’m currently looking at replacing my 12 year old 29.5 technica agent 120s (heel grind for spurs, zip fits, insoles similar to super feet green, fit is good to great with no pain but they’re too soft). Ive tried to make 28.5s work in the past (mega rides, agent 120s) with heel wedges and toe punches for length but could never get something pain free enough to enjoy. Just picked up a pair of 29.5 and 28.5 technica Mach 1 130 LVs to compare fit and was wondering what you would advise on length and any other shell. Looks like my feet both measure a 29.1. Curious your thoughts. Will scan the QR code above and send you the scans and PM you my email.

Name:	IMG_1412.JPG 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	404997

Name:	IMG_1413.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	404998

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    Hi Greg! Wow thanks for helping so many out here. I’m currently looking at replacing my 12 year old 29.5 technica agent 120s (heel grind for spurs, zip fits, insoles similar to super feet green, fit is good to great with no pain but they’re too soft). Ive tried to make 28.5s work in the past (mega rides, agent 120s) with heel wedges and toe punches for length but could never get something pain free enough to enjoy. Just picked up a pair of 29.5 and 28.5 technica Mach 1 130 LVs to compare fit and was wondering what you would advise on length and any other shell. Looks like my feet both measure a 29.1. Curious your thoughts. Will scan the QR code above and send you the scans and PM you my email.

Name:	IMG_1412.JPG 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	404997

Name:	IMG_1413.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	404998

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    enginerd, check your PM's for my comments . . .

Hi Greg! I also thank you for all you've done with this thread. If you don't mind another, here are the verifyt measurements (I scanned the QR code earlier today and will send you my email via PM):

Foot Length (L/R): 27.4 / 27.3
    Foot Width (L/R): 10.9 / 11.0
    Heal Width (L/R): 7.0 / 6.8
    Instep Height (L/R): 7.7 / 7.7

My current alpine boots are 2017 Atomic Hawx 120 size 27.5 (100 last). It took a lot of bootfitter work to make these work for my feet. They still fit very tight after several years but work for me in the resort. That said, my feet are pretty beat up at the end of the day. I'm now looking for a touring boot and would appreciate any advice. I would think a larger volume boot would be a better fit to my feet (possibly something like the Technical Radical Pro or Scarpa Maestrale RS ?). Not sure where to go with sizing either.

(Note: My forum account here is new, so it may take a bit before it will let me PM you. I'll keep trying.)

Greg this is amazing for those of us in Ski Boot deserts!

I’m trying to get into a lighter weight boot and forced to order online as noone around here carries anything in that class.

26.5 OG Krypton’s worked well for me with a pretty serious punch on the outside forefoot. Currently in 26.5 Dalbello Sherpas (pushing 10 years old and pretty shot) they have always been too big over the arch but snug enough with the lace up liner pulled tight. Lupo AX120s fit great out of the box so I ordered the 26.5 Quantum Free 130.

The toe box gets really narrow in those up front and I wore them around the house for a couple hours today. Big toe is jammed in against the shell and outside of foot probably a little to pressured. About one finger length shell fit.

Was thinking maybe a size up in those? I’m concerned the big toe punch would be too big for that thin boot. Maybe the F1? Or the lupo air from last year with the AX120 clog? I’m a little lost, please help!

I wear a green superfoot insole in street shoes and ski boots. Keeps the foot from pronating.

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	405675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	405676

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVK View Post
    Hi Greg! I also thank you for all you've done with this thread. If you don't mind another, here are the verifyt measurements (I scanned the QR code earlier today and will send you my email via PM):

Foot Length (L/R): 27.4 / 27.3
    Foot Width (L/R): 10.9 / 11.0
    Heal Width (L/R): 7.0 / 6.8
    Instep Height (L/R): 7.7 / 7.7

My current alpine boots are 2017 Atomic Hawx 120 size 27.5 (100 last). It took a lot of bootfitter work to make these work for my feet. They still fit very tight after several years but work for me in the resort. That said, my feet are pretty beat up at the end of the day. I'm now looking for a touring boot and would appreciate any advice. I would think a larger volume boot would be a better fit to my feet (possibly something like the Technical Radical Pro or Scarpa Maestrale RS ?). Not sure where to go with sizing either.

(Note: My forum account here is new, so it may take a bit before it will let me PM you. I'll keep trying.)
    Just scan the QR code shown previously (the most recent one) and let me know your intials in this thread. Those numbers alone shouldn't require that much effort to get a current Hawx Prime to fit - your instep is definitely way above average in height for a 27.5 foot, but a good heat mold with foam over the instep should do it - if not, you can grind the bootboard for more height. I take it you mean the Dynafit Radical Pro or Scarpa Maestrale RS? Neither has an especially tall instep, and the modification options are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Greg this is amazing for those of us in Ski Boot deserts!

I’m trying to get into a lighter weight boot and forced to order online as noone around here carries anything in that class.

26.5 OG Krypton’s worked well for me with a pretty serious punch on the outside forefoot. Currently in 26.5 Dalbello Sherpas (pushing 10 years old and pretty shot) they have always been too big over the arch but snug enough with the lace up liner pulled tight. Lupo AX120s fit great out of the box so I ordered the 26.5 Quantum Free 130.

The toe box gets really narrow in those up front and I wore them around the house for a couple hours today. Big toe is jammed in against the shell and outside of foot probably a little to pressured. About one finger length shell fit.

Was thinking maybe a size up in those? I’m concerned the big toe punch would be too big for that thin boot. Maybe the F1? Or the lupo air from last year with the AX120 clog? I’m a little lost, please help!

I wear a green superfoot insole in street shoes and ski boots. Keeps the foot from pronating.

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	405675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	405676
    The Quantum Free 130 is way narrower in the toebox than the Lupo AX 120, and they run short (but have plenty of room over the forefoot). My feet are similar in size and shape to yours (26.9 length but 111mm and 117mm width) I sized up one from my regular alpine boot size to a 27.5 and punched heavily for width plus I have 1/8" of foam glued over the toe of the liner to fill up some of the extra height.

New Foot Scanner App

The Quantum Free 130 is way narrower in the toebox than the Lupo AX 120, and they run short (but have plenty of room over the forefoot). My feet are similar in size and shape to yours (26.9 length but 111mm and 117mm width) I sized up one from my regular alpine boot size to a 27.5 and punched heavily for width plus I have 1/8" of foam glued over the toe of the liner to fill up some of the extra height.
    Thanks!

It’s good to hear the QF can be punched that much as it checks a lot of boxes otherwise

Did you ever try on the Scarpa F1? It looks to have more width up front from the specs and the toe looks more square and less pointy (like my flinstone feet!)