"6th Toe" Surgery Experience?

This season my little friend, the 6th toe has gotten larger. I've reheated my liners, I've had my boots punched, played w/different sorts of insoles..., I recently bought wider last AT boots... None of this has done much to alleviate the pain.

I saw a foot doc the other day and we discuss the surgery option.

Anyone out there had the "6th Toe" surgery- in which they break the bone alongside your foot, realign the bone to remove the bump, and hope for the best?

Best thing I ever did !
    Make sure screws are not too long or you’re going need a 2nd surgery to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Beware podiatrists who want to do surgery. Stick with an orthopedic foot surgeon. My podiatrist wanted to operate immediately but second opinion from a MD was a game changer.

I was scheduled for surgery and discovered Surefoot boots. Had them punch the shells in the toe before injecting and molding the liners. Cancelled surgery and skied almost 100 days that season. Now on my second pair of Surefoots 6 years later. Based on reviews people have extremely divergent results with Surefoot, but they saved me from getting foot hardware and the problem has greatly decreased once I got into comfortable ski boots and wider toe box shoes. Check out Keen shoes if you haven't already.

Do you have six toes? Crazy hot chick in my brothers class did. I wanted to suck them.

Does the toe hurt? Or is it a neuroma from the met bones rubbing and pinching a nerve?
    . . .

It's not a neuroma. The bone on the side of my foot is starting to splay outwards-forming a boney protrusion that digs into the side of my ski boot. Now that I've got a 103.5mm last AT boot it's not as bad- might try punching out the side a bit to avoid the knife....

The toe separater things can help correct it. Wear them at night.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The toe separater things can help correct it. Wear them at night.

I tried those for two seasons with no luck

Quote Originally Posted by French Pizza View Post
    I tried those for two seasons with no luck

ya but for the rest of us peasants they might work

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ya but for the rest of us peasants they might work
    He's going to do great around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    He's going to do great around here!
    My toes won’t

I have a nasty 6th toe forming on my right foot. I’ve had the same boots for nearly the past decade but switched to intuitions about mid season last year. And have only been having issues this season.

Think it might be time for a good shell punch as it’s getting to near unbearable levels at the end of each day.

I think the other problem is that tailors bunions can continue to get bigger, though.

My feet look like Liam Neeson's face.

It might be a good season to go visit Dr. Khan-Farooqi- I hear he's one of the best over at the Steadman Clinic...

"6th Toe" Surgery Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I have a nasty 6th toe forming on my right foot. I’ve had the same boots for nearly the past decade but switched to intuitions about mid season last year. And have only been having issues this season.

Think it might be time for a good shell punch as it’s getting to near unbearable levels at the end of each day.
    New boots! And daily stretching of calves + myofascial type work (lacrosse ball on ground, move foot in circles on ball when sitting on couch watching tv works well for me) + wearing toe spacers at night

Edit: get that problem fixed so we can ski together out your way… tend to make it out there in winter a fair amount
    Last edited by thefortrees; 12-01-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    My feet look like Liam Neeson's face.

It might be a good season to go visit Dr. Khan-Farooqi- I hear he's one of the best over at the Steadman Clinic...
    My daughter saw him earlier this year for a bad case of Sever's Disease and he was great. She also plays lacrosse and swims with one his daughters so I can confirm he a really nice guy to boot.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

How will I know if I have a 6th toe forming?