Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What sports don’t hurt all the things that hurt?

I thought golf was the key to all happiness as it’s been clicking bigtime in the last 2 years.
    Elbow and knee apparently had an in depth convo and both decided it’s time to go meet the damn deductible.

I loved darts beer league but holy cow things have changed.

What ya got

Chess. Debating.

bird watching
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Mtn Biking - seriously

Unless you are crashing that is.
    Last edited by Cabinfever; 01-12-2021 at 06:50 AM.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Swimming
    Gravel grinding
    Pickleball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    sup dog

keep er safe
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

scuba diving is low intensity
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ice hockey is surprisingly easy on the knees. The barrier to entry is high, and it's not particularly easy on the face.

Golf can be surprisingly hard on your body... if you have a half decent swing and rotate properly. A full suspension, properly fit mountain bike is actually easier on your limbs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Mtn Biking - seriously

Unless you are crashing that is.

as someone that tore my PCL, and then separately broke 8 bones and collapsed a lung, I strongly disagree. Maybe if you're riding gravel or XC.

I can’t advocate SUP enough especially if you have easy access to waterways. Badfish makes amazing inflatable SUPs. A little pricey but high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Golf can be surprisingly hard on your body... if you have a half decent swing and rotate properly.
    There's way more torque involved in a golf swing than most people realize. Add in only rotating one direction and it's a physiological disaster waiting to happen. Injury rates in golf are super high: https://golfsupport.com/blog/sports-...us-than-rugby/

I have a hard time recommending mountain biking. You *will* crash at some point and something will get hurt in the process. Maybe if you limit your riding to BST, Round Valley, etc. This also isn't a great time to be buying a mountain bike.

In the summer, Snowbird lets you download the tram for free. Hike up the Ridge Trail and then enjoy a pleasant cruise back down. Liz was able to do this even with Stage 4 osteoarthritis in her knee. In winter, XC skiing?

Yoga? Billiards? Wim Hof method? Buy a sauna? Latter two certainly aren't sports or even exercise in the classical sense, but create similar hormonal responses and confer many of the same health benefits.

Fishing

Golf really fucks with my back, it was the first activity that set off my sciatica.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-12-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Hammocking. Let's make that a sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Furious maturbation

sex. but for solo I'd say flatwater kayaking.

^^^ Nope. Definitely not. You can really pull something participating in that activity.

Quote Originally Posted by crossface View Post
    I can’t advocate SUP enough especially if you have easy access to waterways. Badfish makes amazing inflatable SUPs. A little pricey but high quality.
    Sup is great upper body, core and ankle workout. Or just lazy man river paddler. Either way, good to get out.

Biking for the legs.

Not sure how your knee is hating golf.
    My lower back hates it, but a few ibuprofen makes it tolerable.

I get the elbow thing. But can’t you adjust your swing effort or stroke to ease that?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Furious maturbation

Started hitting the little white ball far and straight off the tee and been really enjoying myself on the fairway for a change.
    Started to get a hard pull in my left elbow tendon maybe and after 18 I can’t fully straighten it. Other times I’ll pick up a jar of sauce and it feels like it’s 50lbs in the tendon. Pretty odd behavior and feeling.
    Adjusted swing a bit but no change.

Left knee is on its last legs. 3 surgeries and it’s just not happy anymore. Dad and a few friends rave about their replacement and I have a feeling that’s coming.

Have an inflatable SUP but I need to get it out here locally. I’ve traveled with it a few times. Always fun in Mexico.
    Come warmer weather I’m down to get out more. SFB, been a while. Safety meeting?

The bike used to be more fun. Was never the good mtn biker here in Utah. Might need to giver another go. Miss the trails in West Virginia.

Walking and yoga
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Gave up bass fishing to take up golf at 47 w a bad back. If you want to play you must be in shape so working out 3-4x/week is in order. It will add to your longevity and make life more enjoyable all around. Golfers and tennis elbow is common, but self treatment works very well. If you can walk instead of riding a cart lots of back issues diminish.

Since golf has tee times there is never too many people trying to use the same space at once. Hiking, biking, hunting, boating, camping, fishing, and skiing is all crowed af now during the pandemic (and I don't think these people are going back either.)

Golfer's Tennis Elbow. RICE. For a month.

or

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bocce-court.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	444.7 KB 
ID:	357607
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Golf can be surprisingly hard on your body... if you have a half decent swing and rotate properly. A full suspension, properly fit mountain bike is actually easier on your limbs, etc.
    I signed up for a gym--big discount if I took a couple of free classes. The stretching class gave us a sheet of no-nos--pretty much every part of a golf swing was on it. I can ski, hike, kayak, ride a bike, but I can't play golf. Switched from carry bag to pull cart. Nope. Tried riding a cart. Still nope, and what's the point of golf if you don't walk?
    Once we get this climate thing fixed in a year or two maybe Donner Lake will freeze solid every winter--it would be a blast skating around it, like I did back in Michigan when I was young.

I've played 100's of rounds and hit 10,000's of practice shots over 60 years. I see a lot of bad swings. Golf is like sex in that if it's painful, your doing it wrong.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.