Thread: The Dissident

The Dissident

https://thedissident.com/

The story of Jamal Khashoggi's murder told in excruciating detail by Bryan Fogel (creator of the Oscar-winning Icarus). There's a bonus scandal attached to it--despite being a critically-acclaimed film from an Oscar-winning director, not a single streaming service picked it up and it's only available to rent/buy at fairly steep prices. Fuck Saudi Arabia and fuck the politicians and corporations who acquiesce to them.

I bought this movie right after I made this thread but just got around to watching it. It's absolutely nuts. It's hard to believe this actually happened.

The Dissident

This whole incident fills me w white hot rage for the Saudis and everyone else enabling this shitshow. Iran is has its own crap, but I’d take them as an ally any day over the Saudis. Will chk out the flick for sure

The Dissident

I watched this on a flight to Istanbul. I wanted to wake my wife up just to have someone to talk to about it.

Relevant:

A former senior Saudi intelligence officer has claimed that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is a “psychopath with no empathy”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...igence-officer

There was a segment about that guy on 60 minutes last night. Worth watching. At least fewer media are sugar coating MBS now. They called his elevation to crown prince a coup

It's absolute bullshit that this movie was not even nominated for Best Documentary at the 2021 Oscars.

Watched this movie last night after DTM's recommendation. Highly recommend, just don't make the mistake we made and watch it right before bed - my blood pressure was through the roof. What struck me most about the story was how deep Khashoggi's loyalty to the Kingdom was; he loved his country and used his voice to communicate nuanced criticism of their policies and actions. He was not a firebrand at all, more like a reformer.

Amazing to see how little big governments care about a free & independent press when oil money is on the line. MBS acted with near-complete impunity, and after a short period of discomfort, this all entirely blew over.

Speaking *purely* as a film - I thought Icarus was better story telling (the weirdly animated bees being one element that I thought was less than effective) , but this was much more important/impactful of a story. Thanks for sharing DTM!