Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The BSL point is a good one. My BSL is 275.

The whole metal vs. plastic thing used to be a legit reason. It's not anymore. There have been huge advancements in plastic durability over the past decade or so. STH2 12's are pretty bomber... but I only need a DIN of 9.5 so it's all relative.

Can someone explain why high din bindings cost so much more than lower din versions of the same model? The Tyrolia Attack, for example, has an 18 din version that costs over twice as much as the 12 din version despite what looks like nearly identical construction. I get charging a bit more for stronger springs but the 18 is over $200 more expensive (msrp) than the 12

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Can someone explain why high din bindings cost so much more than lower din versions of the same model? The Tyrolia Attack, for example, has an 18 din version that costs over twice as much as the 12 din version despite what looks like nearly identical construction. I get charging a bit more for stronger springs but the 18 is over $200 more expensive (msrp) than the 12
    Because people will pay for the cred it lends

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Usually higher din = more metal. Metal is more expensive then plastic I'm assuming. I think it's also just a "premium product" markup

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    16s and 18s come with the race something-or-other heel, which is more burlier and metallic, and a lower stack height (17mm vs 24mm).

I like how my phone auto-corrects “burlier” to “girlier”.

Didn't notice the slightly different heel, thanks

I grew up being told that if you dump a ski in the BC you'll die, if you dump a ski in a mogul race you lost (I still lost my races, both ski's attached). So we always had the highest DIN possible. It wasn't until this year I have been told to re-evaluate that as I sit having torn everything in my knee.... I'm also tall and heavy.... I kept all my bindings at 16 or 18... I'll drop them down some as I realize not skiing an entire winter due to a lame-o-crash is pretty shitty..

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I'm heavy, ski hard, do large drops, etc and run my bindings at 11 or 12 and haven't have any issues with breakage/durability/slop with din ~13 bindings (Warden, Attack13, Griffon). So why do so many people love STH16/Pivot 18 type bindings so much? Are people really running their bindings at 15+? I feel like that is few and far between but maybe TGR is even more hardcore than I thought . There seems to be a lot of talk about metal but once again as a heavy/aggressive skier haven't had any problems durability/slop. Please enlighten me.

Good luck with recovery Neil. You blew everything in your knee?

Woah yeah, hadn't heard that yet, Neil. Sorry man. DIN 16-18???

"Why don't you just make 10 louder?"

Marshall subsequently got Christopher Guest to do an ad

Name:  B9EorSOIYAApS5-.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  20.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Shirt please
    You wish

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler (Not Neil Armstrong) View Post
    I grew up being told that if you dump a ski in the BC you'll die, if you dump a ski in a mogul race you lost (I still lost my races, both ski's attached). So we always had the highest DIN possible. It wasn't until this year I have been told to re-evaluate that as I sit having torn everything in my knee.... I'm also tall and heavy.... I kept all my bindings at 16 or 18... I'll drop them down some as I realize not skiing an entire winter due to a lame-o-crash is pretty shitty..
    Damn dude, sorry about your knee...

I'm 6'4, 200# with a ~325 bsl with a lvl 3 skill and have been skiing at 8.5 DIN for the past 5 years or so, but I've really been pushing it this season and have hit the point where I've had 2 pre-releases this season that made me reconsider my DIN levels. If I move my skill to a 3+ on a DIN calculator, it puts me at a 10. Hard to imagine people skiing in the 12+ region.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I'm 6'4, 200# with a ~325 bsl with a lvl 3 skill and have been skiing at 8.5 DIN for the past 5 years or so, but I've really been pushing it this season and have hit the point where I've had 2 pre-releases this season that made me reconsider my DIN levels. If I move my skill to a 3+ on a DIN calculator, it puts me at a 10. Hard to imagine people skiing in the 12+ region.
    10 in the toes and 12 in the heels...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    "Why don't you just make 10 louder?"

Exactly why I ski DIN 11.

If someone was your same size but in a ~300 BSL would be at 12ish on the chart if they were lvl 3+.

In addition to everything else that has been said:

-High Din Pivots work for a CAST conversion
    -Lots of plastic bindings have a vertical release at the toe. At best, I find this makes the binding feel a bit sloppy. At worst it tends to prerelease at inopportune times.
    -Also agree with Eluder that, for inbounds choppiness, weight is good. That applies to skis, bindings, and boots.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I'm 6'4, 200#... Hard to imagine people skiing in the 12+ region.
    There’s teeny-tiny women racing DH on the World Cup with their skis basically bolted to their feet. If you were skiing >45m 210’s at 80+mph, you would probably be skiing higher than 8.5.

There’s a whole spectrum of skiing abilities, styles and preferences between a rank beginner and a (actual, not internet) professional skier, and the chart only represents a very narrow margin of those skiers.

It’s just another reminder that the chart is the starting point, not the end-all, be-all.

Sounds like you're in a similar chart zone to me. I bumped it up to an even 9. Works well. No premature ejaculation and it's come off once or twice when it needed to. Bindings I currently own are various Salomons and Tyrolias (no Z toe or other low end bs). Don't fight the fall.

I'd say higher end bindings can certainly have a better "feel," which is subjective, but they also sometimes have better elasticity than others, and that's not.

There is also torsional rigidity, but I'm not sure I notice that as much as edge tune and ski feel.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I set em to 6 and turn them up till they stop falling off which is always about 7 instead of looking at charts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

6?!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

small azn doesnt need the big DIN, start low and turn em up, thing is you know they are set low so you know they will pop when you pressure them a bit I don't recommend doing this at high speed in no fall zones

cuz 7 always worked/ works I havent done this in awhile so now I just go with 7 but its a way to check yourself

One can also start at 11 and turn them down till they start falling off ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm not a very small azn, so I need to run 11/12 to stay in my skis.

But I'm also a hack and I need all the help I can get.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot