dynafit rotation 12 question vs tecton

Has anyone skied any of these bindings and have any feedback. I am thinking about taking the shifts off my 120 chetler and use something that is a little better on the up while maybe sacrificing a little on the down. Was also curious as to how much I would be sacrificing on the down. My corvus freebird with radical 2.0 tours way better than the chetler and still skies down great though not as fun. I feel like I notice the tech binding when I'm not in pow. Anyway, I was also looking at the tecton, but there is a lot of plastic on the binding (not to say the shift doesn't have a lot of plastic either) so I was curious about durability and I trust the radicals on my freebird.

Thanks

I also forgot to mention, I don't ski the bents in bounds. They are my soft snow touring ski. I just mounted the shift because I felt like it was an aggressive touring binding.

Lots of users on here who are hard on their gear have beaten the Tecton up for lots of riding -- no widespread durability issues.

Tecton is a better binding in every way as far as I can tell. Comparable weight, elasticity (better skiing) and lateral release (better safety) in the toe, elasticity (better skiing) and downward pressure (better skiing) in the heel.

I've mounted Tectons on Renegades with the same intentions: deep days touring and soft snow at the resort. Haven't had good storm.to give them a try it looks like tecton is closer to 50/50 bindings while Shift is more 30/70.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tectons have served me well over the course of about 80 days. Definitely ski better than my old dynafits and have released from the toe in a couple of “oh shit” moments that might have ended differently with a traditional tech toe. The only times I have had issues with them is when I press them into service as ski mountaineering bindings. The crampons kinda suck, the toe has some movement in it while in walk mode and I have had some icing in the heel as a result of cold alpine snow mixed with warm spring sun. Clearly a case of the wrong tool for the job. For a soft snow focused touring ski that likely won’t see much in the way of firm, steep snow or long spring days I think these are a great option. I ski mine in the resort on occasion and haven’t had any issues there either. Like any lightweight/specific use product there are a few quirks to accept, but all in all I have been happy after probably 80 days on them. Interestingly, all of my friends with Shifts have had issues with them. Most are touring related, but getting the toe height and retention dialled seems to be a challenge as well. Tectons have been largely set and forget for me.

Tectons are a good binding and I doubt you'll notice much of a performance difference at all vs. Shifts when skiing pow. I've skied both and IMO Tectons are simpler, lighter and more reliable. Shifts are too sensitive to forward pressure and toe height.

That said, I mounted my Bent Chetler 120s with G3 Zeds and have zero complaints about performance. I think the advantages of a Tecton/Kingpin/Shift/Duke PT type binding are minimal if you're only skiing soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post

That said, I mounted my Bent Chetler 120s with G3 Zeds and have zero complaints about performance. I think the advantages of a Tecton/Kingpin/Shift/Duke PT type binding are minimal if you're only skiing soft snow.
    I agree from a performance perspective but do think the Tecton toe has the potential to increase safety in certain release scenarios. This is of course very difficult to quantify, but I think it should factor into people’s choice to use/not use the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I agree from a performance perspective but do think the Tecton toe has the potential to increase safety in certain release scenarios. This is of course very difficult to quantify, but I think it should factor into people’s choice to use/not use the binding.
    i recently mounted tectons on a ski that i plan to use 80% out of bounds and 20% inbounds and it was exactly for this reason that i did so - lateral release from the toe is a HUGE safety concern.

for a binding that gets some use in bounds (going fast on hard snow), this seems to be a pretty necessary feature IMO.

Curious how the tecton skis compared to the voyager?

Quote Originally Posted by thurmondmb View Post
    Curious how the tecton skis compared to the voyager?
    in short: better

to be fair, i have not skied the voyager specifically, but i have spent a TON of time on R12 2.0's and Release10's now, with similar ramp angles to the voyager, and since the voyager is a FR14 + a toe shim, i feel like they're all more or less the same thing. and i've skied the tecton a ton too.

twice the weight better? that's probably your call to make.

So you're saying the tecton skis better than the r12 or they are similar and the tecton weights more?

So you're saying the tecton skis better than the r12 or they are similar and the tecton weights more?
    Tectons ski better. ATKs are half the weight. How you weigh that trade-off is a personal call.

Buy the red ones. Not sure if Tectons come in red but if they do that's the obvious choice. Red is much faster.

Happy to give you advice on what sort of salad dressings you should use too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I don't see any reason to go rotation over tecton personally. And I'm with tgapp, tecton vs. atk is kind of apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I don't see any reason to go rotation over tecton personally. And I'm with tgapp, tecton vs. atk is kind of apples to oranges.
    If the choice is ATK vs rotations that is obvious - get ATKs

If the choice is rotations vs Tectons, again, that's obvious, get Tectons

If the choice is ATK vs Tectons, buy the red ones

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

What @tgapp and @snowaddict91 said. While red is faster, white is very stealth, so there's that ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Wait, ATKs now come in red? Fuck.

Thanks Yea I figured it was not a direct comparison. Kinda like oil and vinegar compared to ranch. Tgapp might be a ranch man

Thanks Yea I figured it was not a direct comparison. Kinda like oil and vinegar compared to ranch. Tgapp might be a ranch man
    hey fuck you jong, i eat my salad RAW

and fwiw i own tectons and use them as my 50/50 binder and i own atk's and use them for everything else.

horses for courses.

Ha cool man. Thanks for your advice, helps out a lot