Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Charger...2021 Mantra 102 or Cochise 106 or ?

I’ve trimmed the bloated Covid quiver from 8 down to 4 skis (still have 184cm Bentchetler 120s, 180cm Dynastar Proto 118s, 180cm Rustler 11s and 179cm Nordica Enforcer Free 104s). Sold my Candides, Menace 98s, QST 106s and Backlands mainly due to Covid boredom causing me to buy then sell. And I had overlap.

So I picked the 4 I liked the best. Sold the rest.

Definitely have the soft snow days covered.

Chetlers and R11s both have Shifts.

Protos have Pivots.

Enforcer Frees have STHs.

Also am looking for a full on bc ski (WNDR Intention reverse looks like a wider Raven?) for my MTN bindings but that’s a different thread.

Here’s my thought process.....

So 16 ski days into this season.

Snow at Whistler has been awesome lately. Refilling constantly.

But I’m finding myself skiing the Nordica Enforcer 104s more and more inbounds. Even when it’s a bit deeper. I’m really liking the more solid, planted feel from the metal. I’m skiing through the snow more, instead of on it or around it.

Recently bought some 181cm Moment Meridan 107s, for that mid 100 waist, inbounds chargy, ripping ski when it’s not a pow day. Still waiting on them to arrive (huge delays in shipping...not sure they’re coming).

But then I got to thinking that maybe I sell the Meridians when they get here cause instead of having 5-6 of the same type of skis I’m kind of wanting to challenge myself after many years of skiing -6cm mounted, “easier” rather than full-on charger skis.... eg. I’ve owned Rens, Hojis, InThaynes, Bacons, PBJS, Candides, Devastators, Kyes, Nomads, Opuses, NAS Pows, Bibbys etc. over the past few years.

All were mounted -5cm to -7cm. Even my current Enforcer Frees are at -6.35cm.

Not skiing Mt Baker this year as the border is closed. May not do the annual Powder highway trip in Feb due to provincial Covid travel restrictions....so my full season looks like it may be at Whistler. Less deep pow. More variable. Lots of inbounds.

Thinking I need a metal filled charger for the days when it’s crap conditions inbounds without much recent snow at Whistler.

2021 Cochise 106?

2021 Mantra 102?

2021 Katana 108?
    (probably too close to the R11s in width?)

Recommended is -11.5cm on these three. Holy!

How much am I gonna dislike that far back a mount after skiing at -6cm for so many years?

My gut says f it, buy a charger and then figure it out. They’ll feel different but that’s the point. I’m sure I can ski anything (been skiing 60 days a year for the last 25 years).

Or maybe I’m just bored.

I like to carve. But also will slide my tails for some turns. Need to pivot in tight spots sometimes. Make all turn sizes and shapes. Ski pretty fast, pretty upright and centered. Like to pressure the tongues of my boots (Dalbello Krypton 130s). We ski all over Whistler and Blackcomb. Like steep and techy. Groomers are just warm-up laps before the alpine lifts open and then to get to the steep stuff.

I’d likely go 177cm....I know this is tgr but I don’t care, they’re my skis and I’m 5’7” (170cm) and 165lbs. I don’t need the 184cm. I want to ski these hard. In sketchy terrain.

I always go a minimum of +1cm due to my short bsl (287mm).

Leaning Mantra 102? Most versatile? Fits in the quiver as a low-tide ski better?

Others I should consider? Thoughts?

And is +2cm blasphemy on the Mantra? +2.5cm?
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-11-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Maybe the stance 102 would also be a contender?

You can for sure demo mantra 102 all over the village, so I would do that for a day and see if you like it.

I would add a corvus to your list. I love it. I’m skiing the Justis as my DD in a 189 and it’s sick and then I switch off to the Corvus in a 183. But next year I would like to add the Katana 108 and Cochise into the mix and put them all head to head. I had a Cochise and it turned me to the Corvus just on a whim and I’m glad to it did. If I was to buy all three of those skis tomorrow I would buy both the Cochise and the Katana at the 185 length and the Corvus I would buy a 193. The 183 is plenty of length and makes skiing trees a blast and has plenty of tail, I’d just like to gain more top speed.

As someone who also has a short BSL (285) and usually prefers skis mounted around -6 or -7, the Mantra 102s felt great to me on the line. I don't own a pair but demoed them in a 177 up at Whistler on a few low-tide days last season. I'm the same height and weight as you and most of my other skis are 180-185 (184 BC120s, 184WC108s, 181 Menace 98s, 180 Pescado). The 177s will be plenty long enough for your intended purpose, they have great stability and it's not like you'll need a ton of float.

The standout characteristic of the M102s to me was how well they carve AND how easily it is to pivot/slide them around. I wouldn't go further forward than +1cm because the factory rec seems to be on a sweet spot in the sidecut radius. I was close to buying a pair of these myself as a firm snow ski for Whistler, but lately I've been preferring more playful skis with slightly softer/twinned tails. But hey, if you buy them and end up not liking them I could probably take them off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    As someone who also has a short BSL (285) and usually prefers skis mounted around -6 or -7, the Mantra 102s felt great to me on the line. I don't own a pair but demoed them in a 177 up at Whistler on a few low-tide days last season. I'm the same height and weight as you and most of my other skis are 180-185 (184 BC120s, 184WC108s, 181 Menace 98s, 180 Pescado). The 177s will be plenty long enough for your intended purpose, they have great stability and it's not like you'll need a ton of float.

The standout characteristic of the M102s to me was how well they carve AND how easily it is to pivot/slide them around. I wouldn't go further forward than +1cm because the factory rec seems to be on a sweet spot in the sidecut radius. I was close to buying a pair of these myself as a firm snow ski for Whistler, but lately I've been preferring more playful skis with slightly softer/twinned tails. But hey, if you buy them and end up not liking them I could probably take them off your hands.
    I like your ski selections.

Ya would probably go 177cm at +1cm.

You ok with STH 16s? My bsl is actually 287mm. Wouldn’t even need a remount. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    The standout characteristic of the M102s to me was how well they carve AND how easily it is to pivot/slide them around. I wouldn't go further forward than +1cm because the factory rec seems to be on a sweet spot in the sidecut radius.
    Agreed. While there is already a thread dedicated to singing m102s' praise, it bears repeating - the mantra 102 is a fantastic ski. The combination of a fairly stout overall flex, sorted geo and titanal makes them really stable and predictable at speed, yet their more moderate flex underfoot and relatively low but long rocker (for the kind of ski it is) makes them super maneuverable and easy to manipulate. Granted, I have not been on a lot of more classic freeride skis, but the Mantra102 is one of the better skis I've been on - at least two days in. I have primarily used them on groomers, where they are a ton of fun. I usually prefer slightly wider skis, though mantra m6s could also be an interesting ski if you want something even stronger on groomers.

I came off Wrenegade 96tis. They are also a lot of fun, but their stiffer flex underfoot and tails means that they are less fun when you do not want to all out attack. I do not regret making the switch.

I ski Moment Deathwish 184 and Mantra 102 184 most days at the resort (Kicking Horse, Louise, or Fernie). I have BillyGoats for powder.
    I also have Krypon 130s (297mm).

The Mantras are pretty intuitive, and switching between skis is painless. Mantras are mounted on the line (the back one) and Deathwishes are -1. I don't think +2 would be crazy, there are suggested mount points at +1 and +2, but the rear mount point might provide more contrast to your other skis.

I considered the Katana as well, but the price was right on the M102s, and I figured the narrower waist would be a bit more fun in harder snow.

On3p wren 102? Mount point around -9, so splitting the difference between your more forward mount skis and the far far back mount on the mantras. Might be a good gateway to get you into more directional charger skis?

When I demoed the 184 M102 last year at Whistler, skiing the cruddy leftovers on 7th Heaven and the Blackcomb Glacier are what hooked me. It is so much more manageable than the layup and rocker profile would suggest. The M102 and Rustler 11 were going to be my Whistler skis since they cover the majority of the days and conditions there. I also have a 186 Enforcer 104 Free that I agree works really well and splits the difference between the M102 and R11, but my son likes to snag that one. I bought a Katana K108, but have yet to mount and ski it. I suspect it would be an amazing Whistler ski, too. Never been on the new Cochise. The last one was too demanding and just wore me out. I still have an OG Cochise that I love to break out on Harmony and Symphony. That ski was just made for that terrain.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    When I demoed the 184 M102 last year at Whistler, skiing the cruddy leftovers on 7th Heaven and the Blackcomb Glacier are what hooked me. It is so much more manageable than the layup and rocker profile would suggest. The M102 and Rustler 11 were going to be my Whistler skis since they cover the majority of the days and conditions there. I also have a 186 Enforcer 104 Free that I agree works really well and splits the difference between the M102 and R11, but my son likes to snag that one. I bought a Katana K108, but have yet to mount and ski it. I suspect it would be an amazing Whistler ski, too. Never been on the new Cochise. The last one was too demanding and just wore me out. I still have an OG Cochise that I love to break out on Harmony and Symphony. That ski was just made for that terrain.

You should mount the Katanas, ski them, and then and talk about them on here. Because I'm super curious about that ski, and I agree with your take on all the other skis you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I like your ski selections.

Ya would probably go 177cm at +1cm.

You ok with STH 16s? My bsl is actually 287mm. Wouldn’t even need a remount. Ha
    Perfect! Good to know there’s someone else in the S2S with the same BSL, ski preferences and apparent gear addiction as me.

I have an unmounted pair of 177's in my office. Before I mount them I'm going to grab a demo from our shop to play with the line vs. +1 for my 285bsl hobbit foot.

Will try and get the test ride in this week and report back.

My buddy just drilled his Katanas and loves em.

I am developing a love affair with my Wren 108’s as The OG Cochise was my fave ski off all time and I still have a hoarded pair. They ski similar but I feel like the Wren is a bit friendlier and versatile.

I say for a charger on a big hill go closer to 110 underfoot. I hardly ever get out on anything less anymore as I appreciate stability at speed.

I know folks love Mantras and I’ve never had any but man my Wren 108’s are so fun and are a great speed ski that won’t punish in the tight spaces.

That Katana looks rad too. My buddy loves his and we have been ripping round Squaw which has some open give er’ kinda terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm a gear fondler so heading to my local shop to fondle the 2021 177cm Mantra 102s (140-102-123), 177cm Katana 108s (146-108-129) and the 177cm Cochise 106s (137-106-124).
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-11-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Interesting that the 177cm Mantra and 177cm Katana measure 3cm longer (eg. more like a 179cm) than a 177cm Cochise (which measures more like a 176cm)? The 177cm Mantra was 179cm measured with a soft tape along the base, and the 177cm Cochise was 176cm measured along the base.

Standing them side by side, the 177cm Mantra is the exact same as the 179cm Enforcer Free. Mantra looks like way more ski though.

Apparently Volkl is the new K2 re over length.

All three were really nice skis. Stout and well built.

One of the guys at the shop said go for the 102 Mantra. He hadn't skied the Cochise 106.

Said the Katana 108 just didn't feel right to him? He couldn't elaborate, just said he didn't get the Katana's width/radius combo, said it felt off? I did like the feel/look of the Katana the best....

Some pics of the three skis in question....note these are all "177cm", the 2nd And 3rd pics show the difference between the 177cm Mantra and 177cm Cochise. The Cochise flex’s burly, but the Mantras and Katanas looked more substantial, due to their big tips:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9175.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	357402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9177.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	406.0 KB 
ID:	357403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9178.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	357404
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-11-2021 at 11:47 PM.

Skied the M102 today. Likely to buy it. It’s a really balanced ski. Like an enforcer that goes 11.

Been really digging my Cochise 106. They keep getting better everyday I ski them. I didn't get all the hype on the Mantra 102's when I tested them, the sidecut was strange for me.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Been really digging my Cochise 106. They keep getting better everyday I ski them. I didn't get all the hype on the Mantra 102's when I tested them, the sidecut was strange for me.
    What length are you skiing? Don’t you like bigger, burlier skis?

I like to carve. But also will slide my tails for some turns. Need to pivot in tight spots sometimes. Make all turn sizes and shapes. Ski pretty fast, pretty upright and centered.
    Sounds kinda like me and I love my M102s in 177 on the line. Today I was playing around between carving and sliding turns and the ski does both equally well IMO. And tight turns in trees and chutes are effortless. Great low tide ski. My only other ski is a 118. Pretty much feel like the M102 has eliminated the need for anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    What length are you skiing? Don’t you like bigger, burlier skis?
    I'm small but enjoy chargey skis. I spent some time on the 185 and really liked it but in the end I went with the 177 just like my old non tapered blue ones. I went with that size because of my local terrain. If I was skiing Big Sky, where I skied the 185's, I would go bigger. The shape is just perfect for this type of ski, we have been low tide and they are killing it off groom while being awesome railing groomers. They can break free similar to the old ones but have noticeably more energy if you load them. It is now my go to resort non pow ski which is an important slot since it has decided to not snow this year. That being said I find them better in soft snow than any of the past versions but that is not why I want this type of ski and maybe I'm just high on them.

I wouldn't mind trying a Katana, lots of good options it seems.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The M102 is super easy to ski. And then it hauls ass. The carve/surf index is unprecedented.

I’m 5’9” 170 on the 184. Think I’d love the K108 if I needed a ski for the high alpine.

M102 and Renegade has me down to a two ski quiver.

Still wanting a new touring ski, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The M102 is super easy to ski. And then it hauls ass. The carve/surf index is unprecedented.

Think I’d love the K108 if I needed a ski for the high alpine.
    “Easy, hauls ass, carve to surf index is high”....nice. Making me real close to pulling the trigger on the M102.

M102 = versatile (versus the K108); it fits better in my quiver for low snow Whistler days.

But I kinda want a K108 too!

K

But I kinda want a K108 too!
    I did too but I live in Maine so the 102 was the call.

Skied really shit snow at Whistler yesterday..... likely perfect M102 conditions. I saw that Corbetts had a pair of new last years (2020) 177cm Mantra 102s on ebay for a steal.

Think the M102 will be pretty versatile ski for at Whistler.

I also like last year's top sheet. I have some spare 2021 oil green STH 16s:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volkl-mantra-102-ski-2020-170-volkl-12003384950854.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	358378
    Name:  61LfegmBsYL._AC_SX466_.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  12.6 KB
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-24-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I'm small but enjoy chargey skis. I spent some time on the 185 and really liked it but in the end I went with the 177 just like my old non tapered blue ones. I went with that size because of my local terrain. If I was skiing Big Sky, where I skied the 185's, I would go bigger. The shape is just perfect for this type of ski, we have been low tide and they are killing it off groom while being awesome railing groomers. They can break free similar to the old ones but have noticeably more energy if you load them. It is now my go to resort non pow ski which is an important slot since it has decided to not snow this year. That being said I find them better in soft snow than any of the past versions but that is not why I want this type of ski and maybe I'm just high on them.

I wouldn't mind trying a Katana, lots of good options it seems.
    Thoughts on the detune for the Cochise 106? The less than expected rocker in the tail has me second guessing how aggressive to go. Mounting mine this week to take out on Thursday.