Looking for advice regarding the Osprey and Scott Avvy Backpacks

ANYONE HERE OWN AND USE AN OSPREY OR SCOTT AVY AIRBAG PACK?
    I'm looking to purchase either the Osprey Soelden Pro 32 liter or the Scott Patrol 40 liter avvy pack.

Both are Alpride E1 systems. I'm leaning toward the Scott 40 liter because of the slightly larger volume.

If anyone on the forums has first hand, actual experience with either of these packs, I'd love to hear your thoughts before I pull the trigger.

Especially of interest are things like how it fits. I'm not that tall, but I've got a long torso and typically wear a size large in backpacks. I'm a bit worried about fit.

I just received the Scott Alpride E1 40L. I’ve used it on one short and one long day - so this info is somewhat preliminary. I’m a picky pack princess and although I have to wear an airbag for work, I often don’t on personal days because I haven’t found one I like. I have used both generations of BD jetforce, Mammut, and BCA airbags. I am replacing a BD Jetforce Pro 35 which I (intensely) dislike.

So far I really like the Scott. The Alpride E1 system seems simpler than the Jetforce. Owing to the design of the system, the on/off switch is a little buried, but seems easily managed by turning if on when packing in the morning then off when unpacking when you get home. I test inflated it once and it works. The bag was pretty easy to refold and repack.

Like most airbag packs, the stated volume is less than actual. I'd put this pack around 35L. There have been some complaints that the guts of the Alpride system are awkward to pack around, but I don't feel this is significant. The folded airbag section seems more compact than other packs. The pack itself is very comfortable - I'm 6' with an average torso length and it fits well. I think it would fit someone taller fine. I like that it's taller/skinnier vs the giant formless blob of the Jetforce Pro 35. It stays close to your back and doesn't swing around. It's not superlight, but it must be one of the lightest of the genre of 35-40L airbag packs.

The shovel pocket is nicely organized, tall, and easily accessible. It doesn't have a ton of depth/volume so some shovel blades may fit less well. Within the the shovel pocket, there is a divider which allows you to stuff other things in there (skins, gloves, etc) while keep them separated from the avy tools. There are two small pockets (one in the shovel pocket, one in the main compartment) which are nice for organizing things, but they don't fit goggles or bulkier items and they're both internal. My only real complaint so far would be the lack of an external goggle pocket. I have not tried the helmet holder or the ski carry, but they look functional. As I said, it's a tall, narrow pack so it would be tough to get a helmet inside.

I am hopeful that I will like this pack enough to use it on personal days.

In my opinion, the 30L genre of airbags are too small for carrying the things you probably should carry on extended tours. I know some people do it, but it requires patience and tetris skills with packing.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ strong post
    im struggling to cull from decades of 40's bd anachrist and a dueter with abs and a lid with multiple pockets to the new osprey solden cause it aint all gonna fit
    i only have a couple days on the osprey but it fits my long torso 6' svelte frame well
    the avvy pouch is big fits all my snow safety stuff and a tea thermos but my saws a bit to long
    the hip buckle adjustments are the best ive used and it comes on and off easy
    i wish the goggle compartment had a key attatchment strap and will probably have the seamstress next to the shop sew one in as i fore see my funtional stoner ass not zipping it and as of now my leather man and tool bit kits residing in there
    ill try to add more as i test fire and use it a bit
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have a friend with the Osprey and was going to get it until I talked to him. When you pack it up all the weight is carried through the airbag rip-zipper which causes it to inadvertently open on you. Also doesn’t have a giggle pocket or separate accessory pockets other than the shovel pocket.

Does anyone make a good airbag pack? Sounds like Scott might be worth looking into.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    mine has a side google compartment
    and i packed it full as fuck and didnt inadvertanly do anything
    but i do have friends who are sometimes full of stupid too
    i just dont take their word for it though
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have the Scott E1 30L and it seems pretty good thus far. Very noticeably lighter than my old BD Jetforce 28 and has more usable space inside the pack. Also, it’s not very noticeable while skiing—despite the pretty minimal pack suspension, it carries and skis well.

Biggest gripes:
    -I wish it had a pocket on one of the waist straps for little things
    -I prefer the BD Jetforce Pro carabiner solution for the crotch strap (I don’t want to wear it for long flat approaches with zero avi danger)
    -I wish the avi tools sleeve was a separate zippered compartment
    -The above is important because when you start to unzip the main zippered compartment, the bag has a tendency to open fully, causing stuff to spill out. In normal situations, I can work around this and be careful, but in an avi, I’d be working as fast as possible and wouldn’t be surprised if i ended up losing something from the pack during a rescue scenario.

Overall, it seems like about the best solution you can have for an electric airbag pack, but it’s not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

kai, how tall are you and what's your inside leg measurement? Scott seemed to have dropped on a really ergonomic backboard shape that fits everyone really well irrespective of build. The 22L size is strictly for the vertically challenged (I'd 5'2" and under). The 30L SL (short length, which is really a 27L) is great for 5'3"/5'4"/5'5". Anyone 5'6" and other can handle the standard 30L size unless they're really short bodied. The 30L pack is 60cm long and the 40L pack is 65cm long. The 30L is really a day pack with enough room for essentials and skins but once you're carrying boot 'pons/harness/rope or even camera gear the 40L is the way to go. And the vertical carry/compression straps on the side can be cinched down in you're running light. I'm 5'9" and I got a 40L 'pack only' to go with my existing 30L and I can't tell the difference when on and I've never taken either off on a lift.

ccl's comments above are spot on. When first opening the pack you'll think there's not much space due to the shape of the E1 system but they just need to packed differently to a cylinder pack. And there's a lot of room below the E1 system which isn't immediately obvious. I sell a lot of the Scott E1 packs inc a good number of the 40L to maggots (some of which are Patrollers) so hopefully they'll chime in.

I love this forum.

Thanks for all the good information. Really appreciate it.

I'm going to go with the Scott 40 liter.

I will post some follow ups when I have used it enough to come to some useful conclusions.

Pray for snow!!!!!!

Here's my take on the Scott E1 Patrol 40

http://larsonweb.com/blog/?p=1812

Bottom line is that I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Kai; 02-06-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Looking for advice regarding the Osprey and Scott Avvy Backpacks

How easy is it to move the alpride system between packs? Between say the patrol 40 and patrol 22?

And can I move one from osprey to Scott?

I’ve posted my thoughts about the Scott Patrol 30 in this forum. Not gonna rehash that thread here, but the key thing for me was that I’ve been able to use a hydration bladder with it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    How easy is it to move the alpride system between packs? Between say the patrol 40 and patrol 22?

And can I move one from osprey to Scott?
    Really easy to swap from Scott to Scott.

The Alpride supercapacitor unit is the same in all of the brands that use it however I don't know if the actual airbags are the same, ie with identical toggle attachments in the same locations which is what would be required to switch the system between brands. I can imagine a brand making those unique to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Really easy to swap from Scott to Scott.

The Alpride supercapacitor unit is the same in all of the brands that use it however I don't know if the actual airbags are the same, ie with identical toggle attachments in the same locations which is what would be required to switch the system between brands. I can imagine a brand making those unique to themselves.
    Thanks Jon. Do you stock these? Ship them to the US without VAT? I’ll shoot you an email if yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Thanks Jon. Do you stock these? Ship them to the US without VAT? I’ll shoot you an email if yes.
    Yes and yes.

I'm on my second season with the Scott E1 40.

I tend to pack a lot being a rescuer and instructor. So, for me it feels small compared to a BCA Float 42 or my 20 year old Osprey Eclipse 42. It feels more like my old Mammut Nirvana 35. That is my only gripe.

It is light, very very light for an airbag. It is well built and very well thought out. I particularly like the belt buckle (for a metal buckle airbag pack) only the Arcteryx is better. The avi tool compartment is so tall and spacious that I can put two probes, flags, a large extendible handle shovel, and two snow saws in it while still cramming a whole ton into the upper mesh pocket (headlamp, food, lenses, multitool, thermometer, 550 cord, batteries, a radio, and more).

The airbag system is pretty easy to remove and I use it without the airbag much of the time.

It carries very well, even if it wasn't a light pack. It is definitely a winter pack (you'll get sweaty back in the summer). I'm 5'10 and have shorter legs (31" inseam) and it fits quite well.

I bought mine from SpyderJon. He was great to deal with!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Can just the airbag system be purchased to go in a compatible Scott pack?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Can just the airbag system be purchased to go in a compatible Scott pack?

Yes - under the name "Alpride E1 Airbag System".
    Still, it is cheaper to buy Scott E1 30 on sale than the standalone system (which I've never seen at a discounted price).

Additionally, Osprey, Alpride and Scott backpacks can be bought without an Airbag System (at least in Europe).