Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's not the same thing, but at Kirkwood their control boundaries are greater than the resort boundaries and include sidecountry terrain because they are also responsible for controlling the area above the homes in the valley. It's not part of their daily routes though.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I don’t want it closed. My family calls High Dutch the orphanage. I’ve told my kids if I ever see or hear about them there or on square top, I never pay for them to ski again. It’s frustrating it took another life. It’s just so attractive sitting there in clear site line.

Here are my 9990 gate rules.

1: never before MLK day
    2: Never between soul patch and movie line
    3: never directly under soul patch
    4: never when uac tells me not too
    5: only shoulder, south face or north tree line of square top
    6: never without full pack
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Interesting to see all the Vail vitriol...I’m no fan of the corporate mothership...and am 🤏 this close to swearing off the Epic Local next year...BUT...one must point out that 9990 was put in well before Vail ever swooped in and stole PCMR...and the deaths on that ridge line well predate Vail (and the Colony)....
    And S-piste’s rules rule! Follow them and live to skin another day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Interesting to see all the Vail vitriol...I’m no fan of the corporate mothership...and am �� this close to swearing off the Epic Local next year...BUT...one must point out that 9990 was put in well before Vail ever swooped in and stole PCMR...and the deaths on that ridge line well predate Vail (and the Colony)....
    And S-piste’s rules rule! Follow them and live to skin another day
    Where are you seeing the Vail vitriol? Not in this thread. At least certainly not as it pertains to the gate at 9990.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Here are my 9990 gate rules.

1: never before MLK day
    2: Never between soul patch and movie line
    3: never directly under soul patch
    4: never when uac tells me not too
    5: only shoulder, south face or north tree line of square top
    6: never without full pack
    i think those are very sensible rules. i just don't think it is possible to convey that level of personal responsibility through any amount of signage at a gate. problem with signs is, they only work if you read them.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i think those are very sensible rules. i just don't think it is possible to convey that level of personal responsibility through any amount of signage at a gate. problem with signs is, they only work if you read them.
    On Saturday the only exit from 9990 were the red pine chutes. Sinage at the top clearly stated that. People were getting stranded their all morning tell I left. Instructors were brining down classes, and being shocked the lower exits were closed. So yeah, people don't read the signs.

This is not a Vail issue. It's a human nature issue exacerbated by proximity. Most of the people laying tracks down wouldn't ever be there if they had to walk from the bottom.

Vail can't blast up there. If they started that, some lawyer would immediately attempt to hold them responsible, regardless of what any agreement says. Every person that enters that area legally does so past the You Can Die Here sign. How many times do you see people taking pictures by that sign?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is, this will continue, so Follow Schindler's rules. If your really making the list, I would probably say Square top never. Yes I've skied it, but even under a stable snow pack, would it surprise you if it went? There is just not a good surface for the snow to adhere to on that slick rock face.

Peace to the guys family and girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think the answer is, this will continue, so Follow Schindler's rules.
    Is no one going to call it Schindler's list??

It wouldn't be hard to design gates that won't open unless you're beeping.

Turning a bunch of frequently wind loaded, back country alpine slopes into in-bounds terrain that would need constant mitigation efforts would be very expensive.

Maybe it's a dangerous sport and people die sometimes. Maybe there isn't a internet forum that can come up with a solution.
    dirtbag, not a dentist