Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dutch Draw slid again

Helicopters currently searching.
    Was the gate at 9990 open?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Helicopters currently searching.
    Was the gate at 9990 open?
    AFAIK, it doesn't shut. If 9990 is spinning, the gapes are bettering down Dutch's.

Hope no one died.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

god this breaks my heart. i sure hope everyone is safe.

terrifying to see all the slide activity on the N side of the PC ridge line. it sure is scary out there.

UAC Confirms one adult male buried. They dropped about 8 charges below the ridge line about a half hour ago.

Dude and his girlfriend exited the 9990 gate, she watched it take him. Called Ski Patrol, they relayed to SCSO. Helicopter located a Recco signal, still haven't found the body.

fuk

vibes
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Hearing from medical peeps that a body has been recovered. No official word yet as far as I can see.
    Initial report was around 11:30AM, the timeline is bad news. Hoping for a good outcome but, vibes ready.
    Fuck this season already, after all it started in 2020.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

+++vibes+++
    The gate has been open all week. I took a few laps on 9990 on Tuesday. Good snow, but very rocky.
    Four slides since Monday in 9990 gate accessible terrain. SMFH why the gate is open. Then again, I have only seen the gate closed on one or two different occasions during the past 15 or so years
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

https://twitter.com/SummitCountySO

recovered. sad day. same spot as last year looks like.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Dutch Draw slid again

There were 3 slides in that area a few days ago. Snow pack is super sketch. This cono is sticking to low angle terrain until spring. Vibes to family and friends, especially his GF who had to witness that tragic decision.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Coño Frío; 01-08-2021 at 09:08 PM.

While the area just south of the cliff band on Soul Patch has always been very vulnerable, the slides usually begin somewhere along the band. This slide started way up high. It looks like he just jumped in and boom it slide top to bottom.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wow, that is fucking horrible. Can’t even imagine what his GF is going through at the moment.

Nobody in their right mind can contend that this is "prime/pristine" backcountry terrain. I say let The Canyons/PCMR incorporate it into the resort boundaries and control/patrol it. It's a cheese wedge of siren song backcountry terrain for beaters, just fucking turn it into inbounds terrain.

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Nobody in their right mind can contend that this is "prime/pristine" backcountry terrain. I say let The Canyons/PCMR incorporate it into the resort boundaries and control/patrol it. It's a cheese wedge of siren song backcountry terrain for beaters, just fucking turn it into inbounds terrain.
    It's not that simple. Problem is, where do you draw the line and still have open gates to access the backcountry beyond. Just kicks the can down the ridge. Plus anything either side of 9990 is FS, so you are talking about major ski area expansion and more ways for tourists to find themselves lost in BCC.

Quote Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
    It's not that simple. Problem is, where do you draw the line and still have open gates to access the backcountry beyond. Just kicks the can down the ridge. Plus anything either side of 9990 is FS, so you are talking about major ski area expansion and more ways for tourists to find themselves lost in BCC.
    In the first place, FUCK. i agree with glademaster.
    It doesn't have to be more terrain. Just expand the control boundaries to include the area between 9990 and 5. It's not like there isn't a precedent for control work to be done on FS land. It might not be that simple, which means, it might take a pen stroke and some money.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

PCMR and the Canyons operate on private land, mixing a USFS permit with private land management is not that simple.

That said, I agree that it is probably the best solution along with making access involve more effort than an easy traverse.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I was three beers deep and just flinging shit at the wall to see what stuck. I'm sure it isn't a simple process, but given where that swath of terrain is located relative to lift served, in bounds skiing, it seems like the best option.

It has been discussed in the past and discarded until the next stupid death.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    In the first place, FUCK. i agree with glademaster.
    It doesn't have to be more terrain. Just expand the control boundaries to include the area between 9990 and 5. It's not like there isn't a precedent for control work to be done on FS land. It might not be that simple, which means, it might take a pen stroke and some money.
    U are right about one thing in “It might not be that simple”. When U say “control boundaries” I assume that means a rope line, on the ridgeline, from 9990 to peak 5. This is a long distance in wind exposed/drifted terrain. On the other side of that rope line, in BIg Cottonwood Canyon (Beartrap and Willow), is pristine beginner/intermediate backcountry/touring Terrain. There will be folks touring onto that ridgeline from BCC while control work is occurring. The four Dutch Draw fatalities have occurred on High Dutch and more specifically Conehead. 9990 lift was built in 1998. The last thing Vail Resorts wants is to take responsibility for an area where can’t sell real estate. If they have to haul out a body every five years or even five bodies every year it is just part of the business model. More terrain at less expense. Much of the terrain in upper BCC is private land from mining claims. There will be efforts to build on backcountry terrain we take for granted. By protecting the PC ridgeline we are also protecting upper BCC. The interconnect is coming with a ton of money behind it. As far as skier safety and resort responsibility I prefer the European model of education and individual responsibility and limited lawyering. Go ski St. Anton and have your mind blown.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

Good points. I would like to add that no one is guaranteed backcountry access from the boundary of a ski area.

PCMR could close their boundaries (again) or re-locate the access gates and tell people to walk if they want to ski outside of the operating area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Good points. I would like to add that no one is guaranteed backcountry access from the boundary of a ski area.

PCMR could close their boundaries (again) or re-locate the access gates and tell people to walk if they want to ski outside of the operating area.
    Part of the deal to build 9990 lift was a permanent backcountry access gate. The original access gate, when American Skiing Co. owned, was slightly below the unload station. This meant no need for blatant rope ducking and most users drained down ez street and safest route back to resort. However there was no shortage of traversers getting into terrain trap, danger areas under High Dutch.

There may be an opportunity here for Vail to develop a few more palaces. These Colony Xtreme properties would be built in the runout zones of DD, Square Top, etc. Multi-purpose toy barns could serve as avalanche berms. The POA would contract with the resort for control work and recreation easements can be drawn into the purchase agreements. Somewhat of a precedent already exists in McDonalds Draw between 9990 and 5. Everybody wins!

In the meantime, RIP to the deceased. I hope that those in the know make conservative choices and look out for others that don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
    There may be an opportunity here for Vail to develop a few more palaces. These Colony Xtreme properties would be built in the runout zones of DD, Square Top, etc. Multi-purpose toy barns could serve as avalanche berms. The POA would contract with the resort for control work and recreation easements can be drawn into the purchase agreements. Somewhat of a precedent already exists in McDonalds Draw between 9990 and 5. Everybody wins!

In the meantime, RIP to the deceased. I hope that those in the know make conservative choices and look out for others that don't know any better.
    Vail resorts is a real estate/property management company that has chosen ski resorts as their niche market. Red Pine Lake at the base of Squaretop is, in my opinion, the most beautiful spot in the Park City area. It is prime McMansion land if Osguthorpe ever decides to cash out. The Colony was and is a disaster for public access. The mid-mountain trail was a win but we need to maintain access to public lands.

88 million new people in the past 30 years will do this kind of a thing.

However there was no shortage of traversers getting into terrain trap, danger areas under High Dutch.
    Ache said they just rolled down the blinds so the patrol didn't have to watch. That was in the old days.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-09-2021 at 04:11 PM.