Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BCA and Silverton Avalanche School sued by victims family.

Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 01-08-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I'm sorry for his family, but this lawsuit is bullshit. You go in the backcountry, you are assuming all the risks associated with that decision, which may result in death. Probably just fishing for a settlement anyway.

"and local rescue group."

how exactly do they plan to go about suing the fucking sar team for trying to rescue the guy?
    swing your fucking sword.

BCA and Silverton guides sued by victims family.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    "and local rescue group."

how exactly do they plan to go about suing the fucking sar team for trying to rescue the guy?
    Isn't it obvious? They didn't rescue him fast enough, duh.

This was a terrible situation, but surely this will go nowhere.

EDIT: I just skimmed the full Colorado Sun article, it sounds like the Avalanche School is affiliated with the SAR team.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    EDIT: I just skimmed the full Colorado Sun article, it sounds like the Avalanche School is affiliated with the SAR team.
    ah i guess that makes about as much sense as can be expected from such a lawsuit
    swing your fucking sword.

Hard to get worked up about this lawsuit. This is America. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Most of these widely publicized suits go away without any publicity. I'll get excited if they win.

I like the part where they are suing BCA because he didn’t pull the trigger on his pack.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That incident report is worth a (re)read.

Very unfortunate for the victims family......but fuck lawyers!!!!

Take a deep breath everyone. We have a family with a lost one, a firm with a dart of a chance on a settlement, and just a sad story all around.

Nothing is fucked. Take a breath.

What you can fucking do is learn about micro terrain management in nasty times. That would be a very good take away. I remember this accident vividly and I'm good at getting out of spooky situations and I learned from this one. Meters matter.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Things that jumped out at me:

They experienced a whumph when they ascended a shallow region.
    They decided to descend a route towards shallower regions to 'avoid' avalanche danger.
    Aren't deep slabs easier to trigger from shallow locations?

I wonder if there is a correlation between avalanche fatalities and avalanche danger ratings being lowered after a long period of heightened risk.

I don't get why they would sue BCA, but I also get the frustration with a family member dying in an avalanche while taking a class on how to not die in avalanches. Not passing blame to guides, but I can understand the family perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahyawnson View Post
    Things that jumped out at me:

They experienced a whumph when they ascended a shallow region.
    They decided to descend a route towards shallower regions to 'avoid' avalanche danger.
    Aren't deep slabs easier to trigger from shallow locations?

I wonder if there is a correlation between avalanche fatalities and avalanche danger ratings being lowered after a long period of heightened risk.

I don't get why they would sue BCA, but I also get the frustration with a family member dying in an avalanche while taking a class on how to not die in avalanches. Not passing blame to guides, but I can understand the family perspective.
    It's called grief. See Taft Conlin.

grief and a search for deep pockets.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    a firm with a dart of a chance on a settlement

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Indeed. After re-reading, I dug up the original thread. Some good comments in there, including a quote from the victim's buddy.

Here's the original thread

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

"Silverton Guides" is misleading.

Mr. Lovell is from Ridgeway, not Silverton, and was hired by The Silverton Avalanche School which has nothing to do with "Silverton Guides".

It would be nice if the title was changed since undue hysteria is brewing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Indeed. After re-reading, I dug up the original thread. Some good comments in there, including a quote from the victim's buddy.

... Thom
    That quote will be exhibit A for the defense.

The CAIC report is pretty much required reading. I love me some Caltopo and Gaia, but they're just another tool.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Very unfortunate for the victims family......but fuck lawyers!!!!
    This. I mean, suing BCA? What in the actual fuck? I hope BCA counter sues the family's attorneys to cover their legal fees.

Before too many pitchforks come out for the family about this lawsuit, there is a good chance a life insurance company is bringing the suit, not the family themselves. Just keep that in mind before accusing the family of looking for a payout.

^^^
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    That quote will be exhibit A for the defense.

The CAIC report is pretty much required reading. I love me some Caltopo and Gaia, but they're just another tool.
    One line I ski a few times most years looks to be sub 30 degrees on caltopo, but in fact has a section about 300' long that is more like 33 degrees. You can avoid it by staying left on the way down. Still a good place to ski above treeline in winter if you're (correctly) not worried about remote triggers and halfway decent at tiptoeing through avy terrain.

Another place I ski most winters looks steeper than it is on caltopo. It's mostly around 25 degrees, but the slope angle shading shows sections in the low 30's that are actually tiny and easily avoided. It's a pretty damn safe place to ski under most conditions (although the snow usually sucks).

Both of these spots see a fair amount of traffic. I worry about someone getting in trouble of the former this season. I skied there once last spring and turned around at treeline because of a rapidly growing windslab and a commitment to being ultra conservative in the early days of covid. Saw 5-6 groups of people coming up the approach on my way down. All of them looked like novices (flipping their heel risers for no reason, wearing hard shells while skinning on a fairly warm day, plus they were all off to a late start). The most I'd ever seen on previous trips was one other solo skier (although the area is by no means a secret). Told them all what I had observed and they seemed thankful but not quite sure what I was talking about. Hopefully they were all just planning to ski mellower terrain at/below treeline. But the sense I had was that nobody had any plan at all.

So yeah, the slope angle shading is great tool that needs to be understood to be used effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    SAS is a tiny non-profit. Any settlement enough to even cover lawyer fees would probably put them out of business. Which would be very sad. Despite this tragic incident, they are a first-class outfit (or at least were - ~100 years ago, I got sent, as a 'troller, to a weeklong SAS class, which was nothing short of phenomenal).

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Before too many pitchforks come out for the family about this lawsuit, there is a good chance a life insurance company is bringing the suit, not the family themselves. Just keep that in mind before accusing the family of looking for a payout.
    No. The first article clearly states that the lawsuit(s) have been filed by the deceased's wife and daughter.

While I definitely sympathize with the family's loss (especially due to the tragic irony of the situation)...it's been a year. Which might not be enough time to truly get beyond grief. But it's enough time, I think, to get to a point of making rational decisions, based on said grief. Which these lawsuits are not. These are bullshit lawsuits (IMHO), which will not succeed, and will only be a waste of time and money (which again, I doubt SAS can afford).

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    No. The first article clearly states that the lawsuit(s) have been filed by the deceased's wife and daughter.

While I definitely sympathize with the family's loss (especially due to the tragic irony of the situation)...it's been a year. Which might not be enough time to truly get beyond grief. But it's enough time, I think, to get to a point of making rational decisions, based on said grief. Which these lawsuits are not. These are bullshit lawsuits (IMHO), which will not succeed, and will only be a waste of time and money (which again, I doubt SAS can afford).
    The lawsuits always come from the family, even if they are forced by life insurance companies to sue. If you want the life insurance $s you must play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The lawsuits always come from the family, even if they are forced by life insurance companies to sue. If you want the life insurance $s you must play ball.

Ok, I did not know that. Still, the insurance company should know better, than to think they could win (though BCA's holding company is probably big enough to secure some kind of settlement, I suppose, even if the lawsuit is without merit).