Page 73 of 88 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2190
    live version of Althea was a nice touch.

I ain't much of a baseball fan but this sure is fun. Old enough to remember the 30ft screens at frankies last time.
    "Can't you see..."

^^^
    I caught that one as well and was like, alright then, dude's got his groove on tonight.

These late games are gonna kill me.
    I still call it The Jake.

No day game during the world series is bullshit.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Harumph
    MLB is killing baseball long term in its immediate quest for ratings

Right? They're lucky they have the games indoors and in a southern city too. How many times do we need to see 30,000 frozen assholes at Fenway or Yankee Stadium in late October at 11pm at night?

There hasn’t been a day game since the 80s

Don't get in the way of our rant here with your facts.

The problem is the games run so long now, like the 4+hr one last night. If you go back to that 1987 series no game ran longer than 3:30 and three were under 3 hrs. Having a regular game run past midnight east coast time is annoying, extras are worse.

They're both problems, no kid is ever going to see more than an inning of this shit and it's so slow it's not like watching anything anyway.

when the braves spanked the yanks 12-1 in game 1 of '96, ten pitchers were used and it still clocked in at 3:02 (after starting half an hour earlier than yesterday's game).

manfred and bud have just fucked the game beyond all recognition.

obviously all of the red sox "fans" that jumped to hockey and football don't care, but I am fucking shot after watching a game end past midnight.

woodsy, no clue how you do this for 162.

Pardon the interruption, but this just in...

"The Cleveland Indians will officially be known as the Cleveland Guardians beginning next season, but another team in the city wants to stop the change from happening.

The Cleveland flat-track roller derby team, which is also known as the Guardians, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to block the Indians from using their new nickname.

The Indians said in July that they were aware of the Guardians roller derby team, according to WKYC. The MLB franchise claimed it had taken the proper legal steps to secure use of the name, but the roller derby team’s federal lawsuit states otherwise.

“Major League Baseball would never let someone name their lacrosse team the ‘Chicago Cubs’ if the team was in Chicago, or their soccer team the ‘New York Yankees’ if that team was in New York — nor should they,” Christopher Pardo, the attorney representing the roller derby team, said in a statement. “The same laws that protect Major League Baseball from the brand confusion that would occur in those examples also operate in reverse to prevent what the Indians are trying to do here. By taking the name ‘Cleveland Guardians’ overnight, the Indians knowingly and willfully eviscerated the rights of the original owner of that name — the real Cleveland Guardians.”

Cleveland’s MLB franchise first filed a trademark for the name Guardians in the African island of Mauritius, according to reports. That step was said to be taken to keep the plans a secret and not distract from the 2021 season, but the derby team’s lawsuit says the approach was designed to take them by surprise."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

They're both problems, no kid is ever going to see more than an inning of this shit and it's so slow it's not like watching anything anyway.

when the braves spanked the yanks 12-1 in game 1 of '96, ten pitchers were used and it still clocked in at 3:02 (after starting half an hour earlier than yesterday's game).

obviously all of the red sox "fans" that jumped to hockey and football don't care, but I am fucking shot after watching a game end past midnight.

I fall asleep on the couch a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

"The Cleveland Indians will officially be known as the Cleveland Guardians beginning next season, but another team in the city wants to stop the change from happening.

The Cleveland flat-track roller derby team, which is also known as the Guardians, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to block the Indians from using their new nickname.

The Indians said in July that they were aware of the Guardians roller derby team, according to WKYC. The MLB franchise claimed it had taken the proper legal steps to secure use of the name, but the roller derby team’s federal lawsuit states otherwise.

“Major League Baseball would never let someone name their lacrosse team the ‘Chicago Cubs’ if the team was in Chicago, or their soccer team the ‘New York Yankees’ if that team was in New York — nor should they,” Christopher Pardo, the attorney representing the roller derby team, said in a statement. “The same laws that protect Major League Baseball from the brand confusion that would occur in those examples also operate in reverse to prevent what the Indians are trying to do here. By taking the name ‘Cleveland Guardians’ overnight, the Indians knowingly and willfully eviscerated the rights of the original owner of that name — the real Cleveland Guardians.”

Cleveland’s MLB franchise first filed a trademark for the name Guardians in the African island of Mauritius, according to reports. That step was said to be taken to keep the plans a secret and not distract from the 2021 season, but the derby team’s lawsuit says the approach was designed to take them by surprise."
    OK Battle Royal between the roller derby team and the baseball team. Winner gets the name. I've got fifty bucks on the chicks..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Totally agree on the playoff games starting too late and taking too long. But actual "fans" would know that regular-season games start at 7:10 and since the average duration is just over 3 hours, games are over well before 11:00, which leaves plenty of time for beauty rest even in sleepy ol' Montreal.

WC trips kinda suck but as long as they end in 9 it's fine. If they go to extra innings out West I call it a draw and go to bed.

A 3:10 game starting in Seattle or Anaheim 7:10 PST is a problem for me on the east coast anywhere, and the playoffs take longer.

As far as this city being sleepy, I don't see it, especially compared to the 24th most populous in the US. What's good nightlife down there, checkers at the student union followed by chik-fil-a? And get a real baseball stadium already!

Average college football game 4 hours. Average NFL game 3 hours and 20 minutes. They start after work on weeknights, lots of Sunday night games too. I fail to see a problem here that isn't already the same everywhere else to some degree. Ask your mom if you can stay up later. That's what I did..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Average college football game 4 hours. Average NFL game 3 hours and 20 minutes. They start after work on weeknights, lots of Sunday night games too. I fail to see a problem here that isn't already the same everywhere else to some degree. Ask your mom if you can stay up later. That's what I did..
    Yeah, but then you ended up hanging out online with us.

Yeah, but then you ended up hanging out online with us.
    Because my favorite baseball teams (Rays, Mets) lost.. You'd hate me even more if either was still winning..

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

There’s just so much to unpack here. The morning guys on the CLE sports station I stream we’re having a field day with this.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    OK Battle Royal between the roller derby team and the baseball team. Winner gets the name. I've got fifty bucks on the chicks..
    You’d lose.

It’s a men’s roller derby team.

Apparently.

Getting back to timber's post about the Guardians, it does seem crazy that they would pick a (ho-hum) name of another team in-town.

In the spirit of rock-n-roll they should consider The GWARDIANS as a replacement.

LOL at sleepy Montreal. If you find it to be sleepy you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

You’d lose.

It’s a men’s roller derby team.

Apparently.

HAHAHA LOL! OK then maybe a dance off??

Getting back to timber's post about the Guardians, it does seem crazy that they would pick a (ho-hum) name of another team in-town.

In the spirit of rock-n-roll they should consider The GWARDIANS as a replacement.

given they haven’t been able to resolve the issue in the last 3 months, does the initial failure to Google really surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    LOL at sleepy Montreal. If you find it to be sleepy you're doing it wrong.
    It said "Canada" at first and I decided not to insult the whole country, a decision I've since come to regret.

I've come around and like the name. As EWG pointed out upthread, it's the fans of the team whose opinions matter, not that of baseball fans at large.

Anyway, anyone who doesn't think this was foreseen and calculated on both sides is kidding themselves as to how the world runs. A billionaire doesn't have his boys down the street at Jones Day's headquarters look into the names and then make a business decision that boils down to, "lets make them come after us for a payday that they'll have to prove while we litigate them into the poor house" is delusional.

Anyway, the internet algorithm must be working, cause this article released today just popped up on my feed which says that Cleveland is the 9th best baseball city in America. Well done, boys.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-baseball-cities/12864

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It said "Canada" at first and I decided not to insult the whole country, a decision I've since come to regret.
    Do you often make it your practice to insult entire countries?

Bold, Ice.