Page 79 of 88 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2190
    The Yanks probably had more talent than The Dodgers at the deadline but the asking price isn't the same of every team. Or maybe the Nats needs were different than what the Yanks had. But for all of the times that you have said the farm is barren in NY, it isn't really the case.... still middle tier after those three trades going into 2022.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-farm-system-rankings
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    They didnt because they didnt have the prospects to trade. Everyone talks abbout the Dodgers "buying talent" but we traded away 2 great prospects to get Max & Trea and a few to get Mookie
    well yeah, they do, because dodgers consistently have one of the biggest opening day payrolls and like multiple other teams spend money mid season. And for reasons the dialogue about how much money teams spend is almost always focused on those numbers, never a retrospective look at the end of the season how much a team spent. I mean the giants bought talent both before the season (gausman) and mid season (Bryant) and did well too.

Dodgers “went for it” before this season, before last season, before the last 7? Seasons? And certainly at the deadline. Credit to them.

Yankees went for it too, getting what they thought they needed.

Red Sox…not so much. Biggest $ deal the Red Sox have dished out in the last 2 years was kike at 2 years 14mil total. That’s it. I don’t like the direction Chaim is going. I don’t want to be fucking Tampa. For all the “success” recently Tampa (and Oakland) never won anything.

Fuck.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    well yeah, they do, because dodgers consistently have one of the biggest opening day payrolls and like multiple other teams spend money mid season. And for reasons the dialogue about how much money teams spend is almost always focused on those numbers, never a retrospective look at the end of the season how much a team spent. I mean the giants bought talent both before the season (gausman) and mid season (Bryant) and did well too.
    But the Giants still spent about 100 million less than LA. lol…

We had better spend more next year- that stadium is paid off now.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

And the giants got bounced by the dodgers. But at least they saved their owners a couple dollars!
    Decisions Decisions

yeah but they won the wins per million spent series. suckit, rays!

Conventional wisdom/most of MLB: Nothing is likely to happen until after the labor talks get strightened out...

Mets: FUCK that we will find away to fumble away one of our most popular players..
    Right-hander Noah Syndergaard and the Los Angeles Angels have agreed to a one-year, $21 million deal, pending a physical.

Guess they gave him an offer so not total fumbling, but Mets...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Conventional wisdom/most of MLB: Nothing is likely to happen until after the labor talks get strightened out...

Mets: FUCK that we will find away to fumble away one of our most popular players..
    Right-hander Noah Syndergaard and the Los Angeles Angels have agreed to a one-year, $21 million deal, pending a physical.

Guess they gave him an offer so not total fumbling, but Mets...
    yeah, have to wonder if not having a GM is the cause of this. Since they offered him 18.6 with a QO, so one would assume that an additional 2.4 wouldn't be that problematic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, have to wonder if not having a GM is the cause of this.
    The Alderson statement was pretty weird the other day, "We can't sign a gm because it's NY and there is too much pressure / microscope".

Is he trying to excuse away that he signed a weird office sexual harasser and a drunk driver? Surely someone is willing to trade real life baseball cards for 500k a year in New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The Alderson statement was pretty weird the other day, "We can't sign a gm because it's NY and there is too much pressure / microscope".

Is he trying to excuse away that he signed a weird office sexual harasser and a drunk driver? Surely someone is willing to trade real life baseball cards for 500k a year in New York City.
    500K a year? A GM would make more than that.

The problems are myriad: Cohen still wants to hire a a president of baseball OPs, probably next year since they struck out again this year, so any GM is potentially only there a year. Alderson is the de facto president of baseball ops, so you have to deal with him. And his son is an assistant GM, so who knows how much autonomy the GM will have. It's completely dysfunctional.

IOW, Alderson is a hudge part of the problem and is trying to blame it on BS stuff.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

All this reminds me of this video

I still call it The Jake.

Today officially marks the beginning of the Guardians era in Cleveland.

The Indians are dead, long live the Indians.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cleveland-guardians-era-begins

Oh, and Ohtani won the MVP unanimously, which is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Today officially marks the beginning of the Guardians era in Cleveland.
    It's not off to a good start.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  61.0 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hahahaha. Oh man, some ask OSHA if that ladder placement is up to code as well.

This is going well.

Hey, the Mets have a GM! The Mets have a GM! Welcome to the Eppler era!

To say that I am underenthused with the state of the Mets would be an understatement.

Hey, the Mets have a GM! The Mets have a GM! Welcome to the Eppler era!

To say that I am underenthused with the state of the Mets would be an understatement.
    But you've got that big Lindor contract to be excited about!

M..E...T...S, Mets, Mets, Mets....wait, never mind. Wrong team. I get them confused.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Mets are going effing crazy.

Guess I have to be a fan of Scherzer now.

Surprised to see this get done, but I shouldnt be I guess
    from
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...h=51d510cf3098

So what’s occurring is players and clubs signing deals in the face of the risks involved with some major change in the upcoming labor deal. But the reality is that those issues are largely foundational and are somewhat removed from the core economic issues.

The players have been seeking to keep the free-market system but realize that clubs have shifted their investments into younger players over veterans. They are also wishing to see clubs incentivize winning over procuring draft picks, and to address issues such as service-clock manipulation.

While all those issues eventually cascade to players in free agency, they are largely upfront in the cycle. Having players enter salary arbitration after two years of service time, changing how the draft order is derived, and getting players onto rosters when they are major league ready will not directly affect free agency in the here and now.

So clubs and players are seeing signings ahead of the lockout as a lower risk than waiting for a frenzy after a lockout ends. There should be little arguing that the game is in great shape financially, and is expected to remain largely as such.
    some eye popping numbers in there

Guess I have to be a fan of Scherzer now.
    Replacing Conforto with Sterling Marte has to get us another 5-10 wins. Conforto failed so many times and yet they still put him in the heart of the order for years. Sweet swing when he's on, but rarely on. I like the moves they made the other day and like the Scherzer signing because it shows they will spend the money. He's a great addition to the rotation also.

Lotta crazy

Rangers have committed $561 million to players in the last 24 hours...just spent more money in a single offseason's free agency than any team in MLB history,

fkn sucks to lose Seager,
    personally. My son loves him, 2 bobbleheads, cards, etc.

although he was showing me his Trea Turner slide the other day....
    Last edited by Woodsy; 11-29-2021 at 03:48 PM.

So 2 of the 4 association reps of the MLBPA executive subcommittee signed record deals this week, Lindor got one this spring, how much is Andrew miller gonna get in the form of a bribe?
    Last edited by dunfree ; 11-29-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Andrew Miller of 2016 Cleveland Indians World Series and ALCS MVP fame Andrew Miller?

How long do these committees last?

how many more millions committed before Lock out starts?

Happy Lockout Eve!

In other news, the renovation of Jacobs Field to welcome in the Guardians era continues to go swimmingly.

https://fox8.com/sports/does-somethi...uardians-sign/

The team's response? "We're working on it".