Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    His character is what it is, hard to argue with that deep insight. You should be on ESPN.

He's the reigning CYA for a season that was 1/3 of a normal season. Outside of that, he had one excellent year, 2018, and has a career ERA of 3.90. If he pitches like this past season for a full year, he's worth that insane money. But it sure seems like a gamble.

No doubt as a Mets fan a part of me is trying to convince myself that this outcome is better, and it's not my money, but looking at those numbers makes me kind of glad the Mets didn't "win". Plus, given the Mets recent history with Porter, and now the stories about Callaway, not to mention Cohen's past, I'm relieved he's not a Met.
    We all know I’m better than Stephen A

And I didn’t expand on it beyond that because you and I have gone around about Bauer in the past. He’s such an oddball and also, I believe, such a talent it’s hard to peg him down. His approach to the game is so different that it’s changed a lot of other guys’ as well - see AL Cy Young Shane Bieber, Mike Clevinger and a host of others.

I know one thing though, he’s not worth $40+ fucking million a year. That’s fruit loop shit.
    I still call it The Jake.

All I care about is how I saw him pitch against the Braves, that team is scary. As for "character" hes walking into a WS champion staff lead by a first ballot hall of famer and a load of talented competitive guys. He's gonna contend, and he is going to improve. Thats why he came. maybe he will even get to pitch every 4 like he wants. As for the $, they did what it took to get better.
    Aforementioned Braves are better, the Padres are a lot better. Look at Mookie's contract if you want to see frutloop shit.

I don’t think it’s that crazy a contract for the sweet spot 2 years of a guys career. It’s the captains cut of contracts.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Crazy hudge contract. For a guy of questionable character and no track record of excellence.

I feel like the Mets dodged a bullet.
    I’ll take the reigning Cy Young winner and call it a pretty good track record. As for his character, as far as I know he’s never had problems with teammates. Maybe he’s just a Twitter dick? I’d also bet they ran it by Mookie. If Mookie’s good with him, that is enough for me.

I also don’t hate the contract. The big 10 year contracts are the deals that always seem to backfire.

Looking forward to be able to attend the parade this time.

Time for baseball!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ble-second-act

Not gonna lie, I didn't hear about this until today but what an incredible story. I knew Drew when he was in Hickory coming up with the Rangers. Stand up guy. Was always nice to 11 y/o me around the clubhouse and during bp. Glad he made it out alive and is raising awareness through his story. Hopefully he can make an asg or something with the giants.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

Not gonna lie, I didn't hear about this until today but what an incredible story. I knew Drew when he was in Hickory coming up with the Rangers. Stand up guy. Was always nice to 11 y/o me around the clubhouse and during bp. Glad he made it out alive and is raising awareness through his story. Hopefully he can make an asg or something with the giants.
    I read that too and I agree, glad he's here to share his story.

Totally cool saying the story brought a big ol lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach. We have a long way to go when it comes to being comfortable talking about when people aren't "ok".

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I read that too and I agree, glad he's here to share his story.

Totally cool saying the story brought a big ol lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach. We have a long way to go when it comes to being comfortable talking about when people aren't "ok".
    Got real dusty in here. Very dusty.
    Decisions Decisions

Red Sox trade Bennintendi to the Royals? WTF. Guess they’ve just given up at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Red Sox trade Bennintendi to the Royals? WTF. Guess they’ve just given up at this point?
    I think Benintendi sucks so glad he's gone. I suppose we don't know the full return because of the PTBNL but overall does seem a bit underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I think Benintendi sucks so glad he's gone. I suppose we don't know the full return because of the PTBNL but overall does seem a bit underwhelming.
    Franchy Cordero doesn't exactly wow me at this point in his career. And maybe Benintendi wasn't going to live up to all the promise of his first year or so in the big leagues, but I don't think we can definitely say he sucks yet. I guess I can see the rationale for trading him but I would've hoped for more, too.

Re: Bauer. What are the odds that his spin rate went through the roof last year because he was loading up the ball? It seems very possible to me and it makes me think that he's not going to live up to the contract.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Thank you. We/they may be selling high on him.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I don’t think it’s that crazy a contract for the sweet spot 2 years of a guys career. It’s the captains cut of contracts.
    Underrated take

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

this is amazing & think should be spread far and wide not just in the baseball world

& yeah my office is suddenly dusty af

drew was a great kid when he was in hickory. only thing was that he was a prospect out of vegas in the early 2010s. he played alongside gallo and bryce when he was growing up. was with gallo when he broke the milb hr record in 2014 i believe. he would have been a top prospect out of vegas in any other class but with those two he was overshadowed. can't help but think that living in their shadows so to say was detrimental to his psyche. i may try to reach out if i can. really looking forward to the e60 coming out soon.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    We have a long way to go when it comes to being comfortable talking about when people aren't "ok".
    Truth.

I had seen the story on ESPN and hadn't read it thinking it was typical espn fluff, glad it was discussed here so I knew it was worthwhile.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Schedules are out and true to form, the league has the Indians opening up with division play, on April 1st, in Detroit.

Year after year they just don't learn.

What do you think the weather will be like there Commish?

I look forward to catching this game as part of a traditional double header sometime in late August.

Cloudy with a chance of gunfire?
    Decisions Decisions

Cloudy with a chance of gunfire?
    True story, when I was in 3rd grade we took a field trip to old Tiger Stadium for a day game in the spring. It was predictably cold, and gray, and I shit you not, our teacher was standing outside on the concourse with a couple of the other chaperones talking to a cop and they were counting gun shots (or backfires) in the distance and laughing about it.

MLB 2021 Official Thread

My dad made the family take a trip to tiger stadium before they tore it down. 1996? 97? Climbed into the car, mom dad little bro and I drive to Detroit from my uncles in NJ. Leave at 7am get there at game time, 7pm central. Scalp tickets in the sketchiest area you can imagine, one block outside the stadium. Trash can fires.

Seats right next to the Sox bullpen, got el guapo to throw me a ball. Worshiped that fucking thing just like I worshiped that fat bastard (underrated reliever). After the game we crammed into the sketchiest motel $29/night can find. Leave at 7a sharp back to Boston.
    Decisions Decisions

My dad made the family take a trip to tiger stadium before they tore it down. 1996? 97? Climbed into the car, mom dad little bro and I drive to Detroit from my uncles in NJ. Leave at 7am get there at game time, 7pm central. Scalp tickets in the sketchiest area you can imagine, one block outside the stadium. Trash can fires.

Seats right next to the Sox bullpen, got el guapo to throw me a ball. Worshiped that fucking thing just like I worshiped that fat bastard (underrated reliever). After the game we crammed into the sketchiest motel $29/night can find. Leave at 7a sharp back to Boston.
    That's awesome.

Trips like that build character. At least that's what my Dad would tell me.

I'd bet good money that $29/night was at a Knight's Inn off Telegraph and that you could thankfully park right in front of your door in case a quick escape was needed.

fuck yeah
    love this
    My son and I are making road trips for games when its safe. he has been to Citi Field & Yankee Stadium, and that is it ( and the no longer standing Bridgeport Bluefish park) Sketch factor not around as much as then, but who knows, give it a year.

Def need to take advantage of the fact that 2 of my hotels are attached to NL parks as well.

Played in the former bluefish stadium (harbor yard). Sneaky dump of a field. Also bought booze down the street when I was 18. Did not get involved in the crack scene though, but sketch area fo sho
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    fuck yeah
    love this
    My son and I are making road trips for games when its safe. he has been to Citi Field & Yankee Stadium, and that is it ( and the no longer standing Bridgeport Bluefish park) Sketch factor not around as much as then, but who knows, give it a year.

Def need to take advantage of the fact that 2 of my hotels are attached to NL parks as well.
    Truist (such a stupid name) Park being one I’m guessing?

You won’t be roughing it, that’s for sure. Our firm rented out a suite with a balcony for the playoffs last year - place was cool.

Braves & Pads, yep.

Kershaw interview was a good read. Love that guy

few takeaways:
    on the WS win
    “This was a long time coming and the Dodgers have put some good teams out there. We've been in the World Series three out of four years. 2017, I don't really count. It counts but I don't really like — it could've been different. We don't really know. I don't think we'll ever know. But the 2018 Red Sox were better, obviously. But this was our year and we were going to win. And it felt really good to actually do it.”

On getting another ( Sox fans likely want to look away here
    “We were good. We've always been good. but Mookie, Mookie makes a difference, man. Mookie is like . . . you hear people say it all the time, 'Oh, all the little stuff is great.' No, it's not true. Mookie’s skilled. Mookie’s really good at hitting and really good at fielding and really good at throwing. He's the best in the game at all that stuff combined.

“But then you add on top of that, like, he scored two runs from third base [in the postseason] that not many people score. And he makes plays defensively that not many people make. And then his hitting, his on-base, he doesn't strike out, all that stuff. All that encompassing is what makes him. Obviously, it starts with his talent but all that other stuff separates him.”
    & Kersh has seen a lot in a lot of seasons

Most interesting part
    "the Dodgers are one of the few teams that are actually trying, you know? Like when you look around the league, we have a great opportunity to win another one. So there's motivation in that, knowing that I'm very fortunate to be on a team that actually tries to win every single year is pretty cool.

“Because you see around the league, a lot of these . . . big market teams are not trying to win and trading guys and doing different things and not spending money
    “The Rays maybe get a pass, right, because they've proven they can have success doing that. Other than them, Oakland has had success doing it, but I don't think any other team gets a pass. You've got to spend money to win. And then I don't think this rebuilding approach, losing 100 games for a few years and then turning it around [works]. There's only going to be one team that does that a year, potentially.

“So, yeah, for every Astros or Cubs story. there's going to be 10 other teams that don't win and they're just going to have to do it all over again. And how, as a fanbase, can you accept that? The whole rebuild, don't spend money for a few years, get a bunch of draft picks and try to do it, it's tired. Every team does it now. Every team. They need to be more creative. Figure something out.

“There's a lot of smart guys in front offices. Figure something out that's easier to do than trading away a [star]. Just, for example, a potential Cy Young [Award winner] in [Yu] Darvish, who has been one of the top five pitchers in baseball for a year and a half, for prospects that could potentially be good but they're 17, 18 years old. And [Kyle] Davies is a great pitcher, but to me, that's just not . . . For the Chicago Cubs to do that, it's not good. It's just not good.”

I have a new favorite Youtube channel. This guy has put together amazing vids on Bauer, Nails, Chapman....

But this spotlight on Canseco is really entertaining:

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi