Page 31 of 88 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Most think it was a dumb deal for the Wilpons. I don't see many people saying it was a bad deal for Bonilla.
    It was a pretty good deal for both. Even if they had the money invested fairly conservatively, it would have worked both ways. At the time of signing, nobody knew about the famous Madoff scam. Like I said, he wasn't Pets.com, he was a respected figure in finance. Major Jewish charities gave everything to him. He was the head of NASDAQ at one point.

I'll say it again, I still don't get why more teams and players don't do deals like this.

The players probably don't trust the owners to keep paying, and would rather just have the money now.

Aren’t similar payments required to be insured?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It was a pretty good deal for both. Even if they had the money invested fairly conservatively, it would have worked both ways. At the time of signing, nobody knew about the famous Madoff scam. Like I said, he wasn't Pets.com, he was a respected figure in finance. Major Jewish charities gave everything to him. He was the head of NASDAQ at one point.

I'll say it again, I still don't get why more teams and players don't do deals like this.
    So it was a good deal for the Wilpons because they were justified in relying on the returns they got from Madoff? Sure, if what they thought to be true at the time was actually true, then yes, the deal made sense for them. Except it wasn't.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sigh. Listen, forget Madoff, ok? Pretend he didnt exist. They could have done the same deal just investing in index funds with maybe a mix of insider trading, which is entirely possible for team owners, because all the corporate fucks want the best seats during playoffs. A few whispers, bam, front row!

8%. That was the number. Simple. It's math. Compound interest.

In completely unrelated news, the Cheating Astros are making their First trip to the Jake since it was revealed they cheated (and knocked the Tribe out of the playoffs in the divisional round), not to mention previous incidents like when the Astros employee with a camera and phone somehow found his way into the camera bay at the Jake the year before.

Needless to say the radio call is hilarious tonight as the boo birds are as loud as I’ve ever heard. Michael Brantley is cool, the rest of those guys can fuck right off.

So you think it's pure coincidence that the only owners who ever made such a deal are also the only owners that were heavily invested in a ponzi scheme that gave them unrealistic and false returns? That Madoff's returns were in line with what any smart billionaire can get just investing with a sprinkle of insider trading? Ok then.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

How do you know this was the only deal of it's kind? Although we all think that deals are as announced in the winter, who knows if we're hearing the truth, and certainly the dirty details, which have to be many, when some pitcher gets "200 million!". Who knows? They're private corporations paying private individuals.

Josh Donaldson is a bit of a nut, but I think the shit talking (and backing it up apparently face to face in the parking lot) is great for the game.

And just in case anyone forgot what an absolute piece of garbage Ozzie Guillen is, here’s your reminder.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...llen-war-words

That Baseball Doesn't Exist gave me a lot of respect for Josh Donaldson. He did not get dealt an easy hand. We probably wouldn't agree on much of anything but I really appreciate him as a player. On another note, I'll never forget the day 'the young kids' in baseball stopped being older than me. Now I look at a guy like Donaldson and it's weird that he's kind of an elder statesman in the game. Well, not a statesman exactly, but old. Guess you never stop getting older till you don't.

And fuck the cheating Astros.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

deGrom looked almost human tonight, gave up 3 runs in the first and hits to the first two batters in the second. Still struck out 14 total and retired the last 18 batters he faced, 12 on strikeouts.

So you think it's pure coincidence that the only owners who ever made such a deal are also the only owners that were heavily invested in a ponzi scheme that gave them unrealistic and false returns? That Madoff's returns were in line with what any smart billionaire can get just investing with a sprinkle of insider trading? Ok then.
    hey, there was Steve Young’s $40 million USFL deal, part of which was paid by a 43 year annuity. From that totally up and up usfl guy.

MLB 2021 Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    yah. why the fuck is he on the angels? what a waste.
    If George were still alive he’d be in a Yankee uniform

I don't think I ever saw George in an actual Yankee uniform.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

deGrom looked almost human tonight, gave up 3 runs in the first and hits to the first two batters in the second. Still struck out 14 total and retired the last 18 batters he faced, 12 on strikeouts.
    Rough trip to ATL for those Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I don't think I ever saw George in an actual Yankee uniform.
    Come to think of it I don’t think I have either.

Looks like Bauer gets to sit and think about what he's done for a bit.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

It's a bit like the TGR forums when you misbehave.

So Bauer got traded for Cosby?

Or David Crosby. We're not sure.

If it’s for Sidney Crosby id say that’s a fair deal.

If it’s for David, I’m wondering who the player to be named later will be.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    In completely unrelated news, the Cheating Astros are making their First trip to the Jake since it was revealed they cheated (and knocked the Tribe out of the playoffs in the divisional round), not to mention previous incidents like when the Astros employee with a camera and phone somehow found his way into the camera bay at the Jake the year before.

Needless to say the radio call is hilarious tonight as the boo birds are as loud as I’ve ever heard. Michael Brantley is cool, the rest of those guys can fuck right off.
    i did not watch the game but seems cleveland and its announcers gave it to the astros pretty good as houston sports radio has its panties in a bunch today' WTG cleveland !

now that i dont believe others did not cheat but the number 1 rule if you are going to cheat, dont get caught; the astros did; so they gotta take it for at least 5 years unless they want to man up and give up the WS trophy.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

i have no words.
    swing your fucking sword.

Just amazing.

Sox!!!! Fuck yah
    Decisions Decisions

Looked to me like he was just a little slow to settle in, then... lights out good. He is another one of those pitchers who you need to get to early or you might never.

OTOH, the umps tossing Lopez after 1 pitch that hit Acuna was really kind of surreal.
    The game got off to a fiery start when Pablo Lopez hit Ronald Acuña Jr. with the first pitch of the game. After a short delay, the umpiring crew ejected Lopez and Marlins manager Don Mattingly. Acuña would come around to score the only run of the game.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"