Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2190
    Wow, don't know if this podcast has been mentioned in this thread, but, just discovered Brockmire. I went back to earlier this season to listen to, of course, Joe Buck get into the ring with the greatest announcer in baseball, and it's a gem. https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Zo...nk&dl_branch=1

have to hand it to Joe for being such a good sport and, at times, quick witted.
    Comedy gold. I mean, actually try to imagine Harry Carey walking by in just a t shirt. There, it's in your head

My son got emailed an offer for some $5 bleacher seats the other night so we headed over. At least they won that one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D18ACD03-5E0C-48F8-88E1-078EB65F4C31.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	386387

Those three chicks look like they're about 10 seconds away from kicking your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Those three chicks look like they're about 10 seconds away from kicking your ass.
    Hah! That group was the least interested in baseball baseball fans I’ve ever seen. There were like six or seven couples- seemed to be a big group date. None of their guys were gonna start a fight, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The Baseball Doesn't Exist episode on Bauer was fascinating.

Does anyone think he'll pitch again or is he the new Bonds?
    I'm not really into podcasts (I'm guessing that's what this is?), what's the take? I may queue it up.

It is kinda fascinating how the guy went from AL Cy Young candidate, to throwing a ball from the mound over the center field wall in KC in a fit of rage, which, ironically, turned out to be his last pitch as a member of the Tribe.

Gets shipped off to Cincy (for a haul that is paying dividends, yet again, for CLE (thank you beisbol gods for the best front office in the game)). Wins NL Cy Young and then goes on a typical Trevor Bauer scorched-earth approach to free agency, only to end up pitching what, a handful of games before his abusive kink gets aired for all to see?

He's been in beisbol purgatory ever since because I don't think MLB knows how to handle it. If A-rod played again, and if Kareem Hunt can get on again in the NFL, my suspicion is yes, he does pitch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wow, don't know if this podcast has been mentioned in this thread, but, just discovered Brockmire. I went back to earlier this season to listen to, of course, Joe Buck get into the ring with the greatest announcer in baseball, and it's a gem. https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Zo...nk&dl_branch=1

have to hand it to Joe for being such a good sport and, at times, quick witted.
    Comedy gold. I mean, actually try to imagine Harry Carey walking by in just a t shirt. There, it's in your head
    Holy shit, how did I not know Brockmire did a podcast too? I'll check that out. Thanks Benny.
    I still call it The Jake.

You only get the voice and timing. It's awesome. Hank is a genius.

Funky Max Muncy came through for the W last night.
    Friars held up their end for a change.
    1 game, clock is ticking.

The Baseball Doesn't Exist episode on Bauer was fascinating.

Does anyone think he'll pitch again or is he the new Bonds?
    He only does 1 year contracts right? He'll pitch. I think its interesting that the DeShone Watson allegations are I think worse, and no one seems to think he's done. If he gets convicted of anything that will change, though

he says he told his friend he could kick him in the nuts if he ever signed a multi-year deal...but he did sign with the dodgers for 3/102.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Who?

Now lets talk about the NL Cy Young winner for 2020 Max Scherzer.
    Now thats a great guy, loves his wife, throws gas, competes every minute.

Your AL Cy Young winner, Shane Beiber, takes the mound again tonight after a 3+ month stint on the IL, and looks sharp as ever.

Bonus: Tito Francona, out on medical leave, is back in the park to see Beiber pitch.

Last Friday night ever at the Jake as the Indians.

Yesterday afternoon at 1pm on a beautiful sunny and warm fall day in Cleveland the Indians played a make-up game against the Kansas City Royals.

In what would otherwise be a meaningless game for a team hovering right at .500 after battling at or near the top of the division most of the year, only to come up short thanks to injuries and baseball in general, over 13,000 showed up and many more, just like me, logged in online to watch from near and far.

The Tribe won 8-3 and after the game no one left. The fans continued to cheer long after the fireworks stopped. The players came out of the dugout and applauded the fans, who in turn cheered louder for them, waving signs and banners and even beating drums like John Adams'. Future Hall of Famer and Tribe radio man Tom Hamilton let the sounds speak for itself.

An otherwise meaningless game to be sure, but filled with poignancy for some. It was the last home game in which the home team would be known as the Indians. The end of an era and the beginning of a new one next February.

Sure, some were sad. A 96 year old woman battling dementia who dislikes the name change asked to make it to the game as a bucket-list item. The aforementioned John Adams and his bass drum, a cadence-beating fixture since the 70's was no longer in the top row of the bleachers in the seat under his plaque, he too now in old age and battling health issues - The Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney filled in for John at this year's home opener.

That's major league baseball in a small town. Generational fans tied dearly to their team looking to catch them play one more time the way they've known them for decades.

And that's just fine.

I tuned in cause some of my most fond memories are sitting in my family's seats along the first base line during that historic stretch of 455 straight sellouts. The 95 and 97 Series, the 97 ASG, and most recently, making the trip up north for the 16 Series and the 22 game win streak. The team has been amazingly successful ever since they took the field under that giant "Indians" marquis above what was at one point the largest jumbotron in sports in centerfield. To quote Cleveland comedian/sports historian, Brian Kenny, "the Indians were in a slump that they didn't make the playoffs one goddamed time from 1954 to 1995; modern fans have no idea how good they've got it, no matter how goddamned cheap the Dolans are".

That right there becomes a part of any fan.

But, maybe unlike the 96 year old woman and those like her, I tuned in to catch one more glimpse of my favorite club playing in a stadium that will always be The Jake to me, to see that same familiar place one more time, only now, with an eye towards the next chapter.

It's the end of an era to be sure, but I'm thankful it didn't go the way the Browns did in 1996. Not only that, the talent at Pitching U is young and loaded, and thanks to a $400MM+ deal and a new lease, the Jake will get a hefty revamp this winter (hopefully not taking away what makes it one of the absolute best places to see a baseball game anywhere), ready for the club to take the field as the Guardians on what will undoubtedly be a snowy Monday next April against the Tigers.

So on an unremarkable Monday in Cleveland, baseball moves on. ROLL TRIBE.
    Last edited by BmillsSkier; 09-28-2021 at 08:59 PM. Reason: attribution

Well said, Bmills. We caught a game there a couple years ago and I agree it’s a nice stadium. It was Lou Boudreau statuette night .

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Well said, Bmills. We caught a game there a couple years ago and I agree it’s a nice stadium. It was Lou Boudreau statuette night .
    Very cool Brownski. Lou is a legend, and despite (likely none of us but Wooley and Benny) not seeing him play, the accompishments are incredible. Player-manager to win the Series in 48, MVP, and the man who ended DiMaggio's streak.

Mariners now only half a game out for the AL wild card. I don't think anyone would have predicted this before the season. They're currently at 88-70 despite scoring 50 fewer runs than they've allowed!

^^^
    That's a story that no one is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Mariners now only half a game out for the AL wild card. I don't think anyone would have predicted this before the season. They're currently at 88-70 despite scoring 50 fewer runs than they've allowed!
    They have done it by owning Oakland, 14-4! If you make that even, considering that Oakland has outscored them.... it's a totally different wc race. Pretty cool.

They have done it by owning Oakland, 14-4! If you make that even, considering that Oakland has outscored them.... it's a totally different wc race. Pretty cool.
    They've won 11 straight against the A's!

Having their name on the Rays' pink slip isn't hurting, either.

Hottest team in the AL. Better watch out if Ms pull a stunner and make post season. This region is absolutely desperate for a winning baseball team. Ms pull from a massive fan base (WA, OR, ID, Western MT, AK, and BC if they aren't so blindly nationalistic to root for team thousand of miles away). The Ms are the new As. A bunch of young guys you never heard of with shitty batting stats that play great defense and solid pitching. And they have been without reigning rookie of the year Kyle Lewis all season.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Hottest team in the AL. Better watch out if Ms pull a stunner and make post season. This region is absolutely desperate for a winning baseball team. Ms pull from a massive fan base (WA, OR, ID, Western MT, AK, and BC if they aren't so blindly nationalistic to root for team thousand of miles away).
    Only about 12k fans last night at the stadium, though. Hopefully that number builds from here on out. I'm going to the game on Saturday. Hopefully it still matters!

Better than the 4,000 who watched the As-Ms in Oakland last week, with playoffs still on the line, and potentially the As last season in Oakland (lowest Oakland non-COVID related attendance in 24 years). Ms have to prove this is no fluke before people start coming back. Fans have been burned one too many times.

BoSox train wreck will resume tonight at 7:05 PM EDT.

So you're not buying playoff tickets if they're included? (M's fans, since only Yankee fans go to Fenway these days)

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Better than the 4,000 who watched the As-Ms in Oakland last week, with playoffs still on the line, and potentially the As last season in Oakland (lowest Oakland non-COVID related attendance in 24 years). Ms have to prove this is no fluke before people start coming back. Fans have been burned one too many times.
    FYI, some great ticket deals using promo code FANS for upcoming Ms games.