Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2021/22 Volkl Mantra M6

Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Anyone get some time on this yet, thinking of changing my Full rocker mantra 100 made in germany series and automatic 109 to
    Mantra M5/6/Bones + Corvus

Wondering if the M6 with the 102 triple d whatever is worth paying for or if getting the m5 at an end of season discount is nearly as good and full of cost savings.... or just do the bones.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anyone get some time on this yet, thinking of changing my Full rocker mantra 100 made in germany series and automatic 109 to
    Mantra M5/6/Bones + Corvus

Wondering if the M6 with the 102 triple d whatever is worth paying for or if getting the m5 at an end of season discount is nearly as good and full of cost savings.... or just do the bones.
    Honestly a question I'm asking, too. Currently have an older Bonafide as my firm day ski, but don't love it. The M6 has me intrigued.

Glad you started this thread, was thinking of initiating one for the M6. Shop owner friends of mine have been skiing the M5 and M6 (177's) back to back for the past few weeks. The general report is that the M6 is pretty much preferred across the board. They had trouble isolating exactly the difference but my interpretation is that it boils down to the feeling that the M6 is a more dynamic ski. A little stronger, a little quicker to engage, a little more energy out of a turn.... They said that M5 is still a great ski but if pushed to pick one it would be the M6. I've heard multiple people describe the M6 as skiing narrower than the specs suggest and they agreed with that. Has replaced their M5's as dd's.

Agree that the 3D radius is a game changer on this/other Volkl skis with it as the ski becomes way more versatile. When you put it mildly on edge, you can do super long GS or even run it flat without issue at high speeds but get on it and you can carve shorter turns at lower speeds with it’s shorter underfoot radius.

They also added modified titanal frames and carbon tips that vary depending on length with longer lengths having more metal and carbon stringers in the tip. Even in the longest lengths, the swing weights have been reduced so it feels more playful now even though overall weight isn’t that much different.
    M5 a great ski but the M6 is even better I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Glad you started this thread, was thinking of initiating one for the M6. Shop owner friends of mine have been skiing the M5 and M6 (177's) back to back for the past few weeks. The general report is that the M6 is pretty much preferred across the board. They had trouble isolating exactly the difference but my interpretation is that it boils down to the feeling that the M6 is a more dynamic ski. A little stronger, a little quicker to engage, a little more energy out of a turn.... They said that M5 is still a great ski but if pushed to pick one it would be the M6. I've heard multiple people describe the M6 as skiing narrower than the specs suggest and they agreed with that. Has replaced their M5's as dd's.
    I’m actually encouraged to hear they ski narrower than the stated waist width. I’m sold on the Volkl 3D radius skis for coastal snowpack conditions. The idea that a Mantra could have a tight frontside radius and looseness off piste is really appealing. It definitely works on the M102 and K108.

I might even consider sizing down to the 177 to differentiate the M6 from my 184 M102. I’m 95% sure I’m getting a pair.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I love my m6 in 184. I’d be a lhesitant to size down - I think the 3D works best when appropriately sized to the skier. M6 in 184 was instantly intuitive to me and is not a difficult ski compared to the M102 (and while I haven’t skid it, the K108), regardless of what I’ve been skiing before. Just click and go. I think the M102 in 177 is fantastic as well, but when coming back to it after skiing other skis, takes me a few runs to get used to the shorter length - I think the side cut responds quicker to input in that size and feels more natural in the 184. Then again, maybe the narrower waist of the M6 would impact things. I’m 6’2 and 200 lbs for reference.

I also think the M6 and 102 are different enough already - m6 has significantly lighter swingweight, gets deflected a bit more easily in mashed potatoes/corn, etc. - it’s not a full on charger/snow-plow that blows through everything in front of it, and has a lighter feel in tight terrain. Personally, I’d only consider sizing down if being easy in tight terrain and bumps is your primary goal and you want something easy in those conditions (in which case I might consider getting a different ski altogether). For me, I’d rather have the M6 in 184, M102 in 177 for trees, bumps, destroy everything, and either M102 in 184 or Katana 108/Cochise 106 for hard charging. I’ll take the m6 in 184 into bumps and trees and think its good enough, but I do have to ski more deliberately and a bit slower than I do on lighter skis.

Long story short - I’d probably get the M102 in 184 and 177 and M6 in 184 (in fact, I just added the M102 in 184 so this is what I have), rather than M102 in 184 and M6 in 177, because I think the 102 and m6 are different enough already.

Glad people finally have some time on these. Any direct comparisons of m6 vs. bonafide 97s?
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

I’ve skid a lot on both. B97 in 183 and M6 in 184. Two of my favorite skis, but pretty different IMO.

B97 - better suspension and longer effective edge. Heavier ski. One of the dampest skis I’ve been on in terms of suspension and smoothing out/busting through rough snow. Can ski it very dynamically and no issue bending into different turn shapes. Destroys soft shop/mashed potatoes. Really digs in to ice/firm conditions and when you’re driving it you won’t get deflected by anything (factory tune is 3side 1 base and it really rips firm snow). Heavier swing weight than the M6. Great edge hold on firm conditions even when totally nuking, and shuts down easily. Biggest cons I have are its more punishing of backseat skiing than the M6 - the tail skis veerrrrry strong - get backseat in moguls and it does not feel good at all and (2) as a result of strong tail, sharp tune and long effective edge, I find them pretty difficult in very tight trees and very big hard bumps (frankly even steep medium bumps) - need to have excellent technique and really stay over the shovels and they’re more difficult to pivot/smear in really tight spaces.

M6 - More dynamic of a ski. Can ski just as hard as the B97 (its possible the B97 has a higher speed limit but I haven’t found it). Tips get a little more chattery at super high speed but there’s no effect on performance that I can tell. It seems a little easier to throw sidewise and shut down speed - the B-97 is so strong that if you shut down speed too quickly and you’re not staying over the shovels your legs will hurt. Suspension is excellent but the B97 is best in class IMO. More metallic/hollow feel on snow (but not bad at all) compared to the B97, but the on-snow feel is still excellent. Easier in bumps and off-piste terrain - seems easier to swing the tails around and not as heavy. For deepish dense chop, not as good as B97 - they will get knocked around a tiny bit more, but much less so than most skis in this width. B97 won’t flinch at tracked heavy powder (won’t float much either), will just fly through it like a freight train. Need to be a little bit more careful with the M6.

Importantly, B97 looks cooler. Black Panther vs weird Spider-Man skis. Although the m6 graphics are growing on me a bit.

TLDR: M6: very high performance ceiling, better all-around ski, easier off-piste and in tight terrain, very high performance ceiling and more forgiving. B97: stronger, harder, higher performance ceiling (which is incredible given how high the performance ceiling of the M6 is) and more wow factor, but better have good technique or might get hurt.

Thanks, appreciate the thorough review.
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

Mantra M6 177 vs 184

M6 sounds awesome.
    At 6ft and 210 pounds I'm also trying to seperate the 177 and 184. Im emerging slowly from the strong intermediate ranks to the hallowed ground of an advanced skier..whatever that looks like.
    Ski NZ but make a trip to BC once a year to get my fix on big groomers and tree skiing.
    Only concern is the 184 may hold a fair bit of extra ski to manage off piste but having said that the consensus seems to be a head height ski probably utilises the 3d radius better and offers a bit more stability all round. Am i on the right track?
    Have skied the M5 in 177 and wouldn't say it skied short, however I've probably moved on a bit in skiing ability since then. Also ski the Mindbender 108 in 186 and Armada Declivity in 180.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nick.

Is the M6 full rocker, rocker-camber, rocker-camber-rocker, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    TLDR: M6: very high performance ceiling, better all-around ski, easier off-piste and in tight terrain, very high performance ceiling and more forgiving. B97: stronger, harder, higher performance ceiling (which is incredible given how high the performance ceiling of the M6 is) and more wow factor, but better have good technique or might get hurt.
    I think MD12 sums it up well. Lots of days on the Bonafide 97 (I own it), only one full day plus a couple runs on the M6, both in 177. My takeaway is that the M6 is less demanding/hooky out of the box (the only way I skied it) while the Bonafide 97 was a bit stubborn until you were really moving. I've since detuned the Bonafide 97 to 1 and 2 (spec says 2.8 side bevel) and dulled the tip about 3 cm back of the contact point). I don't think I would do much if any detuning on the M6.

M6 feels "glassy" (as opposed to metallic) and alive on edge and transmits more energy back to the skier; Bonafide 97 feels quieter and smoother on edge and more invinceable at very high speeds. Neither is light but the Bonafie is downright heavy. I haven't tried either in deep snow, but I doubt very much if either is more than just passable as a pow ski.

Nick south - I would go with the 184 M6. This is not a punishing ski - incredible ski that I’d take anywhere and I personally wouldn’t consider sizing down. I’m 6-2 and 200 lbs. even in tight trees and big steep tight bumps it’s not bad and you’ll enjoy riding it in those conditions taking a more measured approach. It’s not by any means a noodle but it’s also not punishing if you get backseat compared to other skis with this high of a performance ceiling. I think you’d overpower the 177 and wouldn’t get the full benefits of this ski.
    Last edited by MD12; 03-24-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fix

It seems like the tip rise is the more modern less abrupt rise that the M102 and K108 have. Welcome change.

Well, I'm 5'8" and 170-ish at the moment. I normally ski 185-188 skis, but neither the M6 or B97 felt "small" to me. With the factory tune, I'd guess the 184 M6 would be fine, the 183 B97 felt "tanky."

Agree with all your thoughts. After a few days on the B97 I got used to the weight and really like the feel. Re powder - I’ve been on both in 4-5 inches of fresh snow - both work well - but if it’s deeper would choose another ski.

Invincible feeling of the B97 is addicting. I love that ski. But I’m a better skier on the M6. If I could only have one, I’d take the M6.

On sizing, I wouldn’t size down on the M6 from 184. On the B97 I’ve thought about sizing down - it’s a beast of a ski.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Would hate to leave any performance in the shop. 184 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Nick south - I would go with the 184 M6. This is not a punishing ski - incredible ski that I’d take anywhere and I personally wouldn’t consider sizing down. I’m 6-2 and 200 lbs. even in tight trees and big steep tight bumps it’s not bad and you’ll enjoy riding it in those conditions taking a more measured approach. It’s not by any means a noodle but it’s also not punishing if you get backseat compared to other skis with this high of a performance ceiling. I think you’d overpower the 177 and wouldn’t get the full benefits of this ski.

On another note MD12 would the 177cm Bonafide 97 ski more like the M6 184cm? I guess reading this thread indicates the B97 in 177 or 184 is a significantly stiffer/heavier ski thats more challenging to take off-piste than the M6? Correct?? Thanks Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksouth View Post
    On another note MD12 would the 177cm Bonafide 97 ski more like the M6 184cm? I guess reading this thread indicates the B97 in 177 or 184 is a significantly stiffer/heavier ski thats more challenging to take off-piste than the M6? Correct?? Thanks Nick.
    I haven’t skied the 177 B97. I’ve skied the 183 many times. I think they’re very different skis but two of my favorites. For me personally, the 184 M6 is more versatile. I had 60 days on the mountain (mostly half days) and 183 B97 is a handful at times. At 6-2 and 200 lbs and an advanced/expert skier, I’d take the m6. Tbh I wouldn’t consider the bonafide unless you feel you can ski anything out there. But it’s quite possible the B97 in 177 would work well.

There’s a big difference in these skis. The volkls flex underfoot and so the tail is less punishing. The B97 tail (at least in the 183) will send you for a ride if you get backseat. Maybe the 177 is easier and would work.

Also, the B97 at 177 is really a 176 and the M6 at 177 is 180. For me and my height, I wouldn’t go shorter than 183 on the B97.

Awesome. So the M6 184 actually measures longer? Thanks Nick

M6 184 is a pretty true 184 - not any longer standing up. Maybe a bit more camber underfoot than the 177. But the 177 and 184 are about 4-5 cms in length apart. I haven’t quite figured this out, but think it’s pretty smart - I bet these are the two most popular sizes and giving people two options that would work for them is great (can go easier/more nimble or higher performance), and it’s even more pronounced by the new change in construction per length.

^ M102 is same, 184 is true and 177 is about 5cm shorter & a bit less camber.

I have the m4 in a 177 that has been my go-to ski for firm days in the NE. I am probably going to pull the trigger on the m6 based on some of the feedback I have read. As I mentioned, they will be used on firmer days in the NE and on tighter lines, tighter turns. I have lots of softer snow "playfully" skis for other days. For those of you who have been on the 177 and the 184 m6's any thoughts on sizing?

Phatboy, unless you've gotten substantially phatter since acquiring your M4's and you've been happy on the full reverse camber M4 for firm days you'd be more than pleased going 177 on the M6 for firm days.

Some great info in this thread. The 3D sidecut is real.