Black Ops 118 mount for the PNW's infamous Cascade concrete

Looking for opinions from maggots who may be skiing the Black Ops 118 in super heavy snow. (I got them for what people in the PNW calls "pow," that's so heavy it throws my Pescados around.) Where do you have them mounted? The line is really forward, and Blister's Luke raves about mounting -2 cm back from it (so, -4.4 cm from center). Any opinions? I am usually a directional skier but like to play, so am fine with a progressive mount, but my #1 goal with those is to rule the chopped !@#&@ at Alpental or Stevens Pass when there is a foot and half of "powder" cut up within a hour of the hordes being released on the slopes.

The ski will be mounted with a Warden MNC 13, so can't play with boot position after mount, just boots (alpine and AT, though most likely alpine except if I only bring AT boots on a trip).

(I own a Black Ops 98 cm mounted on the line, which is fine, but I feel those are two totally different skis and that doesn't translate.)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Mount -5 from center and party on

Thread hijack warning!

If anyone is interested in these in hobbit size I've got 176's in the wrapper that I've decided not to use. $325 plus ship

from what I read pretzel is on point. but you could also consider buying a demo binding.

I've yet to mount mine and that's my plan (warden demo).

Have them, and primarily ski in Western Wa.

I typically only ski directionally and mounted at the blister recommended of -2cm from Rec (-4.2cm from TC), and its still a very progressive mount - more so than my JJ 2.0s. That mount still gives you plenty of tail for hard landings, but doesn't put you too far over the bars.

Assuming you have not purchased them yet, and that you're above 150lbs, make sure you get the 186s, and not the 176cm, as the big thing with these skis in the massive increase in mass which allows these skis to blow through mixed chop.

With this last storm cycle that's been rolling through, I have no idea how I would have managed on other skis without getting destroyed. My only complaint about these skis, is I wish the tail had a bit less side cut to allow it to be a little more surfy/slashy.

Let me know if you got other questions.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

(alpine and AT, though most likely alpine except if I only bring AT boots on a trip).

I think the only "AT" boot I would want to potentially drive these in would be something like a Lupo or XT Free, as the weight on these is so heavy, they would be overpowered pretty easy on a softer/lighter weight boot. Therefore if you can snag a deal on a Marker Jester, or Pivot, it may be more worthwhile to mount that instead.

www.experiencedgear.net

Siri not helping learn about this ski:
    Name:  A921B30D-1C0A-4393-A364-36F179602F85.jpeg
Views: 1395
Size:  526.3 KB

Also, sweet Jesus, please for the sake of ski-related comedy let them have made this ski in a 1 8 7 length.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Also, sweet Jesus, please for the sake of ski-related comedy let them have made this ski in a 1 8 7 length.

I'm so glad that you just said this - now every time I click in I'll have this song stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loPo...el=RedDome1995

www.experiencedgear.net

The best mount point is on a pair of the Black Blizzard Bodacious'.

Now *that's* some chop slayer, and most anything else, short of downed trees.
    Ok, sorry - that was a thread hijack. I'll go back to the woods now.

Clearly, the Blizzard Bodacious in 2021 is jealous of the original Black Ops, if one believes the topsheets. I believe that it "blows through crud with a passion" as one reviewer writes. Alas, what's in my hands is a Black Ops. It will do.

BTW the Pescados did handle Alpental well today. It was wet, but not *that* wet. RE: the suggestion for Pivots vs an AT friendly binding, my AT boot is pretty solid. It's a Scarpa Maestrale XT. I haven't found a speed limit on them yet, tough on much lighter and narrower skis (the Mythic 97 in 184 is 30% lighter than the Black Ops). I think it will be fun to try them on both my Black Ops and my Pescados, which has Shifts but are reasonably light too.

@rfconroy, yes I have the 186s. I'm 5'11" and 200+ lbs (thanks COVID and my love of wine). I wouldn't have dared buying shorter. What about you (and @mr_pretzel)? Seems like people agree on going back, you're at -4.2 and @mr_pretzel is offering -5. Those aren't going to get skied switch much in break-your-body concrete.

Great ski at -6ish from center (-4 from suggested).

I want to put it out there for anyone scared of the progressive mount point on the 186 rossignol black ops 118, I am having a blast on that ski mounted -4 from suggested (-6ish from center). I bought them with a rental binding, hated them at suggested but saw the merit, liked them more when I sent the rental binding as far back as it would go (-3 from suggested, I think), had them mounted at -4 from suggested and love them.

Black Ops 118 and Sickle

Quote Originally Posted by dpdpdpdpdpdp View Post
    I want to put it out there for anyone scared of the progressive mount point on the 186 rossignol black ops 118, I am having a blast on that ski mounted -4 from suggested (-6ish from center). I bought them with a rental binding, hated them at suggested but saw the merit, liked them more when I sent the rental binding as far back as it would go (-3 from suggested, I think), had them mounted at -4 from suggested and love them.
    For a directional skier, you are 100% bang on about the -4 on a 186 cm Black Ops 118 Gamer. Before the Black Ops 118, Rossignol made a ski called the Sickle, which came in a 186 cm length and 110 mm underfoot, and is the father of the Black Ops. If you put these two skis side-by-side, they mirror each other perfectly except width. The Black Ops recommended mounting point is the same spot as the Sickle's "Spin" mounting point. The Sickle's marked "Traditional" is - 5 from its "Spin" mounting point, so a 186 cm Black Ops 118 would also share a directional mounting point of -5. However, I decided to mount my 118's at -4 and they were magic.

Quote Originally Posted by lakelouise_skier View Post
    For a directional skier, you are 100% bang on about the -4 on a 186 cm Black Ops 118 Gamer. Before the Black Ops 118, Rossignol made a ski called the Sickle, which came in a 186 cm length and 110 mm underfoot, and is the father of the Black Ops. If you put these two skis side-by-side, they mirror each other perfectly except width. The Black Ops recommended mounting point is the same spot as the Sickle's "Spin" mounting point. The Sickle's marked "Traditional" is - 5 from its "Spin" mounting point, so a 186 cm Black Ops 118 would also share a directional mounting point of -5. However, I decided to mount my 118's at -4 and they were magic.
    Welcome!

Haven't skied the black ops, but I think the Sickle and Black Ops are pretty different skis (having loved the sickle). I mean, one was completely flat camber

What bindings are mags mounting on their Blops? Looks like pivot 115 brakes will work with a little trimming but if you're running something else do you like it?

I have pivots with 115 brakes and they fit fine, no trimming or bending needed.