Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am pretty sure most places are "stay at home" at this point in time, so while no one is happy about not being able to ski, at least you can roll your pass into next seasons if never used, which looks like the way it will be going for me. Shit happens, but hopefully you will live through this.
    Exactly, I wasn't banking on the refund, but the ability to roll it over which is looking pretty likely for me and my wife. Now, I just gotta figure out what date is the point of no return aka when I defer my ikon because at some point I need to get rid of the temptation.

I feel like everyone knew what they were getting into when they purchased a ski pass this year. And I'm glad that the ski resorts are spinning lifts and trying to make it work, if not for everyone, at least for the locals in town

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Honestly don’t get this. You bought a pass during a pandemic, live in Vermont and are complaining that you can’t ski in California or Canada. Not going to bother searching, but seem to remember you complaining about people coming to Vermont
    I have advocated for those traveling to Vermont to be held to the quarantine standard. Vermont skiing has been shitshow (Benny may have been right here....) as the weak sauce attempts at opening terrain have made myself consider a similarly responsible trip involving quarantine, yet apparently many of the Ikon designations are no goes at the moment. Saying a destination is open with a closed border or stay at home order is slightly misleading.

I run a property management company in town and I can tell you yes they are handing out fines and threatening to take away your occupancy certificate. We had a discussion with the town but it was just a misunderstanding. Great RV camping this year with warm weather and no snow

I wouldn’t say that is misleading. They are open, just you can’t get there.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    My definition of “open” is apparently different than the Alterra legal squad:

•Cali open, just not possible

•Canukastain open, with 750,000 Pesos fine & 6 months in jail for sneaking past border

• Stratton, K/Pico, Sugarbush open, but not making any snow...... can anybody recall Superstar being in skiable in January?!
    Have you used the pass yet this year? If not, you have an option to defer it.

As for the Gavin orders, there are a ton of people who are not following them and they are, in many peoples opinion, not helpful. For instance, how can you “stay at home” and “go ski” at the same time unless you live outdoors. I understand shot is more nuanced than that, but it leads to people bending the rules. The ski resorts do want the business. Who do you think is paying for lessons right now? It ain’t the crotchety locals who want the place to themselves. If is the folks with money coming in to prop up the business and economy. Hell, even Gavin wants us to go ski. It is in his plan.

Bay Area is still below 15% capacity, but salons are opening next week as the government begins to realize that killing the small business but keeping super spreader Walmart making money is hurting everyone.

It is kind of hard to tell property owners to not visit their property. Are they supposed to just ignore their huge investment for months over the winter? All they need to say is it essential that they check their property and while there follow the order and go ski.

The fact that locals are up in arms about how this is spreading the virus is either ignorant or disingenuous. The virus is already there spreading amongst the locals. Some family also enjoying themselves, while staying in their own property ain’t doing shit. Until they go to Walmart to buy cheap plastic shit and pick it up from the local checking them out.

C'mon there is HUGE difference in the amount of social distancing at a walmart and a salon. People shop for stuff they need at walmart. NOONE, not a single person, NEEDS to go to a salon.
    Lessons? The guy I ski with in the summer and fall is probably the ranking instructor at Heavenly, probably all of Vail's Ca properties. So he had been busy all through early December with privates. He brought it home. His wife ended up in the hospital for 4 days over Christmas. Her parents are in the Barton at home program getting o2 and his three kids caught it and all had symptoms. He still has a cough and hasn't worked in over three weeks. Yes it is spreading within the community which is why places like ski resorts where people congregate, or that require people to travel, should absolutely be closed.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Your lack of consequences (aka priveledge), or your trust fund, is showing.

Not everyone can just shut it the fuck down for going on 9 months (and how many more to go?)and come out just fine on the other side. That means mentally, physically and financially.

But it is rather rich hearing this rant from the OP, that literally wanted to wall off VT via quarantine just a month ago.
    Live Free or Die

Can anyone explain WTH is going on @ Mammoth?!

It is not about a need for a hair cut. It is about people’s livlihood and the economy.

1:1 in a hair salon with masks on feels less concerning to me than going into Costco. Okay, maybe not me. I don’t get haircuts.

I’m not speaking from a pandemic POV, but a paying the bills. It is not like the government is doing anything to support small business they are shutting down and that is what is killing folks.

I know a Walmart sells food and toothpaste but every thing they sell is completely non-essential. Especially for a 4 week period.

Point being, the stay at home orders fucking suck in the way they were written, prop up huge corporations and kill local ownership. Gavin is smarter than this, and hence why he has a starting to shuffle. And he is afraid of losing the next election. Let’s not forget the politician he is. He has aspirations.

I don’t have a solution. Sure, closing the ski resorts would stop a lot of the back and forth traffic. Maybe would even help slow the spread. Just as likely to start seeing all the folks going to your back yard coming down to my back yard. The bike/hike trails are the busiest I’ve ever seen them. They will get busier.

We saw a huge influx of people over the holidays. Unsure if they were str or 2nd home owners. But they did show up.

As for the OP, just defer and be done with it. Or wait till spring skiing.

Hope your buddy and family get better court. Curious if he would have preferred to be out of work and unable to pay bills. Even post infection. Around here, people are hurting and would do anything to earn an income Especially those that have overhead to pay. Unemployment checks don’t pay for utilities and rent that house your business.

He could retire right now if he wanted and he and his kids would be set. He definitely feels (and felt before) the resorts should be closed.
    Everyone in the family has rounded the corner (according to the Dr.) except for his wife's aunt who is still on oxygen at home.

Good news there.

If he is able to be a retiree, then he is not part of the equation. I know business owners with families and bills to pay that have wiped out their entire retirement savings in the past 9 months trying to keep their business afloat and stay in a home. When I talk to people like that, I see this whole thing a little differently. A good portion of successful decades long businesses have shuttered here. People are hurting. Meanwhile the big corporations are making bank. I fear what my downtown will look like in 2022. All big corps and no more local business. Fuck they world.

My family is lucky (for now) in that we both work in education. Next year might be a bit rougher as tax funds drop.

Good era to be a retiree, or able to retire, or living with no overhead.

speaking of being on o2 at home. LA county is basically out of oxygen tanks to give people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

I know business owners with families and bills to pay that have wiped out their entire retirement savings in the past 9 months trying to keep their business afloat and stay in a home. When I talk to people like that, I see this whole thing a little differently. A good portion of successful decades long businesses have shuttered here. People are hurting. Meanwhile the big corporations are making bank.
    Maybe you are starting to get it. It is not about the bug. #TheGreatReset
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

^^^^Well, I'm no conspiracy theorist, so.... yeah.

But have fun with the though of overlords.

Not me even saying this. Just watch the video. They are not denying it. You just are not looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGcodks8ro
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

King Newsome skis in jeans.

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...ssing-liberty/

"World Economic Forum Founder and Executive Chairman Klaus Schwab has proposed using the overreaction to coronavirus to launch a worldwide “Great Reset.” This Great Reset is about expanding government power and suppressing liberty worldwide.

Schwab envisions an authoritarian system where big business acts as a partner with government. Big business would exercise its government-granted monopoly powers to maximize value for “stakeholders,” instead of shareholders. Stakeholders include the government, international organizations, the business itself, and “civil society.”"

I am all alone on an island....Open Your EYES

The problem is gatherings, both locals and visitors, and the problem with STR's is that the size of the average house and the cost per night pretty much mandates multiple households living and partying together. The fewest number of cars parked at the STR next to us--single family house--is 3. The max has been 6 (first week of the latest shutdown). There is no way to keep locals from partying but shutting the STR's and hotels certainly reduces the gatherings. Closing the ski areas won't stop people from coming -- the place next to us was fully booked during shoulder season and nobody seemed to be here to hike, paddle, etc--the main motivation for renting an STR seems to be extended family get togethers, ie let's help the old bitch die so we can get her money. (Mammoth may be more about people coming just to ski.)

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Honestly don’t get this. You bought a pass during a pandemic, live in Vermont and are complaining that you can’t ski in California or Canada. Not going to bother searching, but seem to remember you complaining about people coming to Vermont
    Yeah. He was indignant. Over the top indignant. I think he was also complaining, more recently, that none of the hills wanted him to run lessons on their slopes, which also seems inconsistent. Seems like if you’re in favor of strict travel bans you should be onboard with reduced density measures as well. But hey, we’re all a little overwrought lately.

^ nuance is everything- visits & spending is way down in Vermont, yet the same areas don’t have enough base to drop gates on the hill- that would bring in cash from appropriately quarantined skiers

It’s ski on to lifts here.

I’ll take a run with you, but you’re on your own on the lifts.

Sucks that some places have issues.
    But don’t bitch about it. Adapt.

The la county public health officer today said that 1 in 50 la county residences is currently contagious with covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I know a Walmart sells food and toothpaste but every thing they sell is completely non-essential. Especially for a 4 week period.

Around here, people are hurting and would do anything to earn an income Especially those that have overhead to pay. Unemployment checks don’t pay for utilities and rent that house your business.
    Walmart can be closed (to the public), and should be. Curbside and delivery only. I've picked up everything from Walmart, never been inside. It's easy. They even have an app.

As for opening small business... sure, if we want to keep dragging out the suffering, or equivalently - if Walmart is open to the public. Make me king, I'll give you a 10 week Wuhan shutdown, and spin up serious contact tracing and quarantine to keep numbers at zero, until it's exterminated to the point where outbreaks = 2 people. Screw up after the 10 weeks (screw up = any week with increased cases), and your city/region goes back to Wuhan. Rather than a 20% hit (10/52 weeks), we seem to prefer running businesses in extremely marginal conditions producing a 70-90% hit.