Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Cult ski Feeler: 2006 Volkl Gotama 183

Update: FS $100 picked up in Seattle area

The OG or close to it Volkl Gotama. Pre rocker, pre side cut changes. 130/105/122. I think I have the vintage right, 2006? Made in Germany. Ninja black, hidden Buddha graphic, massive tails to roost your pals and elicit hollers from the lift. I truly love these skis. I know others do as well. Decent condition, no core shots, no edge damage. A few p-texed scratches. Obviously some top sheet chipping. Judging by the camber a shitload of life left. Mounted 1.5 times with the current marker clamps, my memory is foggy but I think I moved the toe back from the original mount. Current mount on the line for a 316BSL.

Prefer Seattle area pickup. Would consider shipping for the right price.

Any interest? Can provide more detailed pics if interested.

thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201231_170610742.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	356263

Name:	PXL_20201231_170620218.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	960.7 KB 
ID:	356264

Name:	PXL_20201231_170637217.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	356265
    Last edited by chaka; 02-08-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: now a FS post

My favorite ski of all time. Would be all over them if they were 190s. glws

That ski (the silver Buddha) square back gotama changed my life

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    My favorite ski of all time. Would be all over them if they were 190s. glws
    thanks! I haven't skied an absurd amount of different skis in my life like many here, but I have to agree. it's a special ski!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    They certainly opened my eyes up. I was on the Cornice chair at Squaw rocking my Karhu Jak/Line Motherships, chatting with a guy with the '06 Gotamas. He kept marveling at how amazing they were, had also skied my skis and said they were next level. I was already pretty stoked on my skis at the time but his words stayed with me. I began to obsess a bit over finding a pair, came across these in fantastic condition on CL. And yeah, first day on them, I was wowed.

Had these in a 190.....only ski that roosted harder were the Nordica Blowers. So many times I wrecked my buddies with the roost off that tail. Great ski! Bump

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

one of my all time favs. Rooster fucking tails..like Tahoepa said...many a friend rushed to get in front..

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    with the wood sidewalls? I had a pair of those too but I found them noticeably softer than that OP's model.

I think they maybe added metal after the first year? My first real skis, I loved 'em. Besides a few guys on axioms/pow pluses and the occasional big daddy or made'n those seemed to be the most massive planky things out for a second.
    I've got a rough pair of year 1, 190s I was gonna cut the twins off of and use for a route ski if anybody is really jonesing for a taste of the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by teleposeur View Post
    I think they maybe added metal after the first year? My first real skis, I loved 'em. Besides a few guys on axioms/pow pluses and the occasional big daddy or made'n those seemed to be the most massive planky things out for a second.
    I've got a rough pair of year 1, 190s I was gonna cut the twins off of and use for a route ski if anybody is really jonesing for a taste of the old days.
    confirmed in the extinct skis thread, no metal in the gotamas, ever.

Count me as another in the square tail Gotama love category. I think mine were older than 2006, though, but fuck it was all a long time ago.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

anyone else want to relive their OG Gotama stories/love?

My gold buddha version are my all time favorite skis. Still have and ski them from time to time and probably always will.

My son, almost 17, rode the gotama jr for years as a youngster. Just this year he said he wanted a grown up version of that ski, since it holds so many good memories for him...

Cult ski Feeler: 2006 Volkl Gotama 183

I remember bombing the avalanche chutes at Mammoth-Lincoln Mountain on a pow day and getting yelled at by a ski instructor for being outta control. They were truly confidence inspiring back in the day. Thought I was on water skis at 105 under foot. Now the 108’s are the narrowest in the quiver.....Gold Buddha’s and the OP version in 190 for me......still have a Gold Buddha sticker I think I’m going to throw on a rafting dry box for nostalgia sake.

They were my first “real” ski after moving to the NW. rode the gold top sheet 190 for a season at Hood and promptly delammed them casing a big tabletop at Bachelor. We’ll always have the memories though. So big and damp.

I had the black hammerheads on the white ones. Hammered them so hard at the bird. Finally tore out an edge in wilbere bowl and retired them. They’re waiting for chair status now.

realskiers is getting rid of their archive pages next year. Shame, someone should hold onto it somewhere. Looking these up reminded me how Volkl was hitting on all cylinders that year. The Sumo, Sanouk, Mantra, AC4, Allstar, the race room 21M GS skis, etc. I bought Sugar Daddies that year from Telemark Pyrenees before you could get them here. Wonder where I heard about those...

2006 gotama

130/105/122 (29.4m)
    Unchanged: Great float, according to one tester, the "best float ever from Volkl," although the arrival of the Sumo weakens the claim. Surprisingly nimble on the groomed and even in bumps that are not packed together like shark's teeth. We really like this ski for strong deep snow skiers.

carve:4
    soft edge:3
    rebound:3
    stability:4
    straight run:4
    quickness:4
    lightness:3
    forgiveness:3

bump $100 Seattle area pickup

I still ride my 183 gold buddhas. I tend to reach for them more often than my newer fancier rockered sticks.

I loved mine.... Sad I ever sold them. The rooster is real. 2009 hellbent 189 also rootered for days

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    That fly seems to like you!

sending PM -

thanks - skiJ

I have an offer from skiJ (thank you sir). Not trying to incite a bidding war, just checking once more if there is a local seattle area mag interested because I'm not a fan of shipping hassle. If not, they are skiJs and I'll ship them. thanks.

Gotamas sold!

fun sticks and indestructible. much better than other pow offerings at that time. and the rooster!

they should reissue these...
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Found this thread when researching my 2006 Black Gotama's. Looks like the twin to yours but with Tyrolia Mojo 15 bindings. Thought I would see if anyone here is interested in them before putting on CL.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220117_111110.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	401531