Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smart/gps watch

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    thank you Gritter! very helpful. You and I seem to have similar priorities for these watches in general... prioritize battery life, charging etc over music, payment, etc. Does the Peak grab a GPS signal quickly? This drives me nuts on my Garmin Vivosport... sometimes requires me to cycle in and out of the run mode a few times before grabbing a signal, while standing out in the open. Also, you mention Kamoot, I'm assuming Strava integration is equally solid. thanks.
    GPS pickup is not as instant as I'd hoped, but I'd say its been 10-15 seconds typically.
    The syncing of activities to strava is direct and works well, and you can import a route that you have plotted in strava as a GPX file. What is particularly seemless with Komoot is that all your planned routes in Komoot sync automatically into your Suunto account. I *think* that it is the Komoot data that drives the turn by turn navigation and may underpin route plotting in the Suunto app.

Bumping this since I've been curious about a GPS watch but definitely don't need a crazy expensive advanced one

I want it 95% as a fitness/activity tracker. I'm trying to keep Strava out of my life since I'm too competitive for my own mental well being but I'm interested in tracking distance, elevation, and simple heart rate stuff for workouts purely for myself. My summer activities are primarily mountain biking with some trail running and hiking sprinkled in and in the winter I ski tour, skate ski, trail run, and downhill ski (though I don't really care about tracking anything downhill skiing related). For the other 5% I guess it'd be cool to know what time it is and maybe be able to get notifications so I don't have to bring my phone, but I almost always bring my phone anyway. I would say ~70% of my active time is spent in areas with no cell service if that's relevant

Must haves:
    - Distance and elevation tracking (I'd like it to be decently accurate with this stuff)
    - Record a defined workout and save it with some kind of visualization of past workouts (not a fitbit that gives me credit for wiping my ass)
    - Heart rate monitor (though doesn't need to be super advanced)
    - Good battery life
    - Display to easily see how far I've gone and my elevation during a workout

Nice to haves:
    - Small and low profile: I have always disliked wearing watches so the smaller the better
    - Texting capability so I don't have to bring my phone with me if I don't want to
    - Being able to contact people in emergencies out of cell service (is this even a thing watches can do or more PLB territory?)

Don't think I need:
    - Maps: I usually use Gaia on my phone if I need a map and seems hard to justify so much extra $$$ for that functionality, but if somebody has a case for why maps are valuable I'm all ears
    - Training programs? Idk if these have them but main point here is I'm not on any training regiments so I don't need hyper accurate metrics in those areas or strict suggestions about what I should be doing instead
    - Music

I will do some more research on specific models to dial it in but I honestly have no idea where to start here so figured I'd ask those who do. Also curious if it's overkill to even be looking at a GPS watch and if I should just use a phone app and skip the heart rate stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

What phone do you have?

I’ve got an iPhone, and two apple watches in my house, and my daily watch is a Garmin Vivoactive 3. The Apple Watch has cell and can do the standalone without the phone if I choose, and it can run Gaia on it. The Garmin has much better battery life, but no cell.

Other brands are available, but those are the two I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    What phone do you have?

I’ve got an iPhone, and two apple watches in my house, and my daily watch is a Garmin Vivoactive 3. The Apple Watch has cell and can do the standalone without the phone if I choose, and it can run Gaia on it. The Garmin has much better battery life, but no cell.

Other brands are available, but those are the two I know.
    I have an iPhone as well so apple watch is an option, but I'd definitely prioritize battery life and tracking quality over standalone cellular since I'm not sure I'd end up paying the extra data charges to have my apple watch work standalone and I almost always have my phone with me regardless. I will likely get an InReach or some kind of PLB as well since it doesn't seem like watches can do both and out of service emergency communication is way more important to me - I'd rather be disconnected from my phone while outdoors anyways. My girlfriend has an apple watch I'll try taking it on a couple outings and see how I like it

The vivoactive looks like it does everything I'd need it to but also not seeing a huge difference between that and an apple watch aside from battery life. Are the activity tracking and heart rate monitoring notably better on the garmin?

Edit after reading more: I'm liking the look of the Instinct a lot. I really like the added navigation features it has and it seems more tailored to mountain travel and exploration compared to the vivoactive (dcrainmaker highlights a ton of navigation features it has over the vivo). Now the question is it worth getting the newest Instinct over an older model Fenix or Forerunner that may be about the same price? The Instinct Solar seems to be close to $400 (solar seems pretty sweet but not sure how effective it is)
    Last edited by Wes Mantooth; 09-02-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

^ Fenix are huge & heavy, so Instinct may be better for you from a heft perspective

In the Apple vs Garmin decision, you may want to see if you can pair an HR strap to an Apple Watch. I find for skate skiing & touring, I like to have the watch on the outside of my various layers, and the HR strap allows me to do this & keep HR. Also allows reading/dismissing of various alerts w/out needing to dig out the phone itself/roll up a sleeve.

I have a vivoactive and like it quite a lot. I use it with an iphone.

I have a Forerunner 945 and I would say it has the best mix of features and capabilities. I basically wanted a Fenix 6 but lower profile and thats what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I have a Forerunner 945 and I would say it has the best mix of features and capabilities. I basically wanted a Fenix 6 but lower profile and thats what it is.
    What JT said.

Wes, if the 945 is too expensive you could probably go cheaper. That being said - and I can't remember all the feature differences - having a map on your watch is surprisingly nice. Not that it's *the* source of truth, but that with a quick flick of wrist you can get an idea of where you're at. I still pull out my phone and Gaia as needed but the watch maps are pretty handy. (I say this primarily from a trail running, hiking, ski mountaineering perspective).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    After a couple weeks with the Suunto 9 Peak, I'm pretty impressed. It is Super Comfortable for all day wearing which was a high priority for me. Seems really really well built. The way the loose band end snaps tight with the other side of the band is ingenious. The magnetic charger puck is so much better than the crappy garmin one I was used to with the vivosport. Charging time is really fast. Time will tell as a get deeper with the features, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    What JT said.

Wes, if the 945 is too expensive you could probably go cheaper. That being said - and I can't remember all the feature differences - having a map on your watch is surprisingly nice. Not that it's *the* source of truth, but that with a quick flick of wrist you can get an idea of where you're at. I still pull out my phone and Gaia as needed but the watch maps are pretty handy. (I say this primarily from a trail running, hiking, ski mountaineering perspective).

Yeah the 945 looks sweet but definitely a high price tag and I don't really want to buy used since I want a fresh new battery. My buddy just got a 745 I think so I'll check that out when it arrives. Still leaning towards the instinct solar as a good blend of features and price if I can find a deal on it

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah the 945 looks sweet but definitely a high price tag and I don't really want to buy used since I want a fresh new battery. My buddy just got a 745 I think so I'll check that out when it arrives. Still leaning towards the instinct solar as a good blend of features and price if I can find a deal on it

I've had my Instinct (non solar) about 18 months now and overall am very happy with it. I set out with a similar list of needs as you other than the phone texting/contacting, I only connect it to my phone to sync activities.

The battery life has been great, I typically get a week between charges using it for for GPS activity tracking 4-8 hours a week although it will typically require a charge after a big 8+ hour day out.

If the solar version had been available at the time I probably would have bought it, I believe it has better battery management as well as solar charging.

My only complaints would be it doesn't have a dedicated ski touring activity and now after doing more running this year some of the training functions of the Forerunner/Fenix look quite interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by random_watcher View Post
    I've had my Instinct (non solar) about 18 months now and overall am very happy with it. I set out with a similar list of needs as you other than the phone texting/contacting, I only connect it to my phone to sync activities.

The battery life has been great, I typically get a week between charges using it for for GPS activity tracking 4-8 hours a week although it will typically require a charge after a big 8+ hour day out.

If the solar version had been available at the time I probably would have bought it, I believe it has better battery management as well as solar charging.

My only complaints would be it doesn't have a dedicated ski touring activity and now after doing more running this year some of the training functions of the Forerunner/Fenix look quite interesting!
    Good info, thanks. Does the newer Instinct also not have a backcountry skiing activity? I read that the Fenix 6 has that as an option so if it's just a software thing I imagine most watches could get it?

Had my garmin instinct for 3 years now, daily wear. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Good info, thanks. Does the newer Instinct also not have a backcountry skiing activity? I read that the Fenix 6 has that as an option so if it's just a software thing I imagine most watches could get it?
    Not sure about the Instinct but you can get the profile from a friend or find it online and load it onto other watches--just drag and drop the file. Worked for my Fenix 5.

Not sure if this has been posted yet...DCRainMaker has a running list of the best deals. Currently - and maybe recently? - it has a 745 for $400 and 935 for $270. Even if you don't like any of the deals now, it's worth keeping an eye on, especially as Black Friday approaches.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/dealslist

If you are OK with a refurb, this is a killer deal on a Fenix 5X Sapphire with 2yr warranty.

https://www.gpsnation.com/garmin-fen...and-black.html

Personally I'm waiting for Black Friday to see if I can score a 945 for under $400.

Smart/gps watch

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Discount is only 20% right now. I'm holding out until it gets back to 30%.
    Is it 30% now for watches, could you please share, where to buy?

My Fenix 5 just stopped charging. I’ve had it about two years. Costumer service is sending me a new charging cable to see if it fixes it. It sounds like from the Harmon forum that they have problems with corroding charging pins. If it isn’t repairable/replaceable i might be going to suunto. Had an old altimeter watch I really liked in the past.

Just ordered a Garmin Venu 2 Plus. Looks like it checks a number of boxes on my list. Anybody have experience with that model (especially as it relates to ski touring)?

Smart/gps watch

I’ve got a venu 2. Haven’t used it touring. Any specific questions? I’m quite happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’ve got a venu 2. Haven’t used it touring. Any specific questions? I’m quite happy with it.
    Guess I'm mostly wondering if I should use the "XC Ski" mode for touring. Though it looks like somebody has created a custom data set for ski touring that you can download -

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...a-5e2882d31423

Glad to hear your happy with the Venu though, looks pretty sweet and I'm psyched to start nerding out on my fitness/progression

Anyone have experience with the Apple Watch ultra? Tried on the Apple Watch 8 today but felt like I would destroy the thing in a month. The ultra really doesn’t look much bigger.. really like the look and added beefiness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by UpperDaze View Post
    Guess I'm mostly wondering if I should use the "XC Ski" mode for touring. Though it looks like somebody has created a custom data set for ski touring that you can download -

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...a-5e2882d31423

Glad to hear your happy with the Venu though, looks pretty sweet and I'm psyched to start nerding out on my fitness/progression
    I have a fenix 5 and use XC for touring. Seems good enough. The Fenix 6 and 7 have a touring mode I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I have a fenix 5 and use XC for touring. Seems good enough. The Fenix 6 and 7 have a touring mode I believe.
    It's also possible to download and install the ski touring profile from the 6 onto a 5. You can get it off of a friend's watch or I think I found it posted in a garmin forum a while back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I smashed my series 3 apple watch in France, and ended up getting a used 40mm series 6 for $125. It has blood O2 on it, cell, everything else that I need. So look into used ones if you guys aren't wanting to break the bank. If you are scared of breaking them then just get the little hard cover for it.