Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smart/gps watch

the Fenix 6 is a major improvement over the Fenix 5 series. The software is much better, battery life is longer, and the GPS tracking was better for me and most testers.

That said, if you don't need the newest, The Fenix 6 is $275 right now on shop.outsideonline.com with the code Save50.

The best part of this device is the backcountry mode for skiing, endurance and expedition modes for long adventures, and the fact it continues to get software updates! Just got some new features last month with the most recent update.

those using an apple watch for skiing/hiking - do any of the available complications give you a vertical ascent rate? feet per minute. I have it on my older and newer Suuntos, wondering if it’s available on an apple watch. I know they have a pretty good barometric altimeter. But aside from useless (to me) references to flights of stairs climbed, haven’t seen much about vertical ascent (not vertical climbed in a day, but a reading for vertical speed)

Quote Originally Posted by UpperDaze View Post
    Guess I'm mostly wondering if I should use the "XC Ski" mode for touring. Though it looks like somebody has created a custom data set for ski touring that you can download -

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...a-5e2882d31423

Glad to hear your happy with the Venu though, looks pretty sweet and I'm psyched to start nerding out on my fitness/progression
    Looking at the Venu 2 for the same intended purpose of use as you were looking for. Are you happy with it? Did you ever figure out how to download Ski tour mode or you just use the XC ski mode? Anything else you can share would be great before I pull the trigger on them

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have a Venu 2 and use the included hike activity to track ski touring, then convert the activity type to backcountry skiing in the garmin app on my phone after i'm done. You can customize your data sets for each activity pretty easily, so I've been happy with that so far. It would be more convenient if i could just select backcountry skiing to begin with, but im used to it now.

Overall I really like the watch, especially how long the battery lasts. I just pop it on the charger every few days when i take a shower and its good to go. It definitely isn't as "smart" as the apple or samsungs, but Im not that smart either so it works well for me.

They also recently announced the updated Venu 2 (plus?) has ECG too, which I wish mine had. I originally got the watch to monitor AFIB, so that would be nice. I think the sensor is there, it just hasn't been FDA approved or something on the older version.

looking for something which:
    1- helps my life rather than sucking time from it: so it has to be simple or I am not interested.
    2- measures my heart rate without a band around my chest while skinning up/hiking/running + measures the height I am at and the pace.
    3- doesn't look huge on my skinny wrist

other than height and hearth rate it might be nice to have (maps etc), however we need to go back to #1 above

Suunto or Garmin? i would be fine in buying it second hand
    thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    1- helps my life rather than sucking time from it: so it has to be simple or I am not interested.
    2- measures my heart rate without a band around my chest while skinning up/hiking/running + measures the height I am at and the pace.

other than height and hearth rate it might be nice to have (maps etc), however we need to go back to #1 above

thanks in advance
    I've got a Garmin instinct that I've been happy with. I've got skinny wrists and think it's an alright size or at least it doesn't annoy me. Mikeyb has had one for sale for a while which would be an easy way to try it out.

The Instinct has some smart features but a lot less that the higher dollar watches.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I've got a Garmin instinct that I've been happy with. I've got skinny wrists and think it's an alright size or at least it doesn't annoy me. Mikeyb has had one for sale for a while which would be an easy way to try it out.

The Instinct has some smart features but a lot less that the higher dollar watches.
    Thanks
    I want to save money so I am considering second hand. And looking at "Suunto 9 Peak" or "Garmin Fenix 5".
    There is a lot of material around these watches and definitely more than what I am interested in reading, so really looking for a clear concise recommendation for my needs (skitouring running hiking + heart monitor)
    Do you guys have experience with these two?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Clear, concise recommendation = Garmin instinct

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Clear, concise recommendation = Garmin instinct
    Thank you very much. The instinct comes up often. However I thought it is an old model now, so it might be lacking battery efficiency, software clarity and usability, etc.
    Is that a silly concern?

Thank you very much. The instinct comes up often. However I thought it is an old model now, so it might be lacking battery efficiency, software clarity and usability, etc.
    Is that a silly concern?

Instinct 2 Solar

Give Coros stuff a look. Their battery life is incredible. They are still upstarts in the arena so are often doing updates to improve, add on, etc. Tend to be a bit less expensive than Garmin/Suunto. I've had an original Apex for 4 years or so and been really happy with it.

I have an older Forerunner 935 I'm selling. Still gets ~10 days on a charge. Light weight so you don't really notice it. Has lots of great function. Only selling since I bought a 955.

I replaced my Instinct with a Coros Pace 2 and like it way better. Lighter, smaller with WAY better battery life.

The Pace is very simple and doesn't have tons of features which is fine with me.

I have never found wrist-based heart rate monitors to be accurate.

thanks in advance
    I'm happy with a Garmin Venu 2, as is my lovely wife.

I have a suunto vector, many years old.
    I would like to replace it, but it seems that ask new equivalent watches have a short battery life.

Any models i should look at that you don't have to charge often?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

The Suunto 9 Peak Pro offers substantially improved battery life over the Suunto 9 peak and earlier models.

Performance mode (best GPS accuracy) is claimed 40 hours, and I believe that's accurate. I went from needing to charge almost daily with my old Suunto to charging at most 2x per week but usually less than once a week. It's also substantially smaller physically than the older models, which is really nice IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    I have never found wrist-based heart rate monitors to be accurate.
    Seconded. I always either wear a HR band or just train by feel. The optical/wrist-based HR is incredibly inaccurate, again IMHO. If you really can't stand wearing a chest strap, then I recommend you wear it enough to learn your HR zones and then periodically re-check to ensure you're in the ballpack. There's a definite downside to being overly reliant on specific HR anyway -- your aerobic threshold can definitely change a bit day to day with fatigue, etc.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I have an older Forerunner 935 I'm selling. Still gets ~10 days on a charge. Light weight so you don't really notice it. Has lots of great function. Only selling since I bought a 955.
    is the forerunner also good for skitouring? has it the skitouring function? or can it be installed on every Garmin? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    The Pace is very simple and doesn't have tons of features which is fine with me.
    any function skitouring specific?

is the forerunner also good for skitouring? has it the skitouring function? or can it be installed on every Garmin? thanks
    Yep, has ski touring function and maps. It has the same function as the beefier hiking watches but designed for triathlons and plastic frame so way lighter.

Wouldn’t even consider going back to Garmin after having my Coros Apex for a couple years. Incredible battery life, lower price point, and app has all the metrics if you want to over analyze. Only thing the app doesn’t have is gear tracking which I utilize for shoe mileage. Strava handles that

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    After about a year, I'm very happy with my Suunto Peak 9. I too have smallish wrists and watches of any size have always been uncomfortable for long use and overnight while sleeping. The Peak 9 is incredibly comfortable, charges fast, is pretty straightforward to use. Looks almost new after a year of pretty carefree use.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    After about a year, I'm very happy with my Suunto Peak 9. I too have smallish wrists and watches of any size have always been uncomfortable for long use and overnight while sleeping. The Peak 9 is incredibly comfortable, charges fast, is pretty straightforward to use. Looks almost new after a year of pretty carefree use.
    I was considering that indeed then I read all reviews and complains about software too sluggish and slow

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Wouldn’t even consider going back to Garmin after having my Coros Apex for a couple years. Incredible battery life, lower price point, and app has all the metrics if you want to over analyze. Only thing the app doesn’t have is gear tracking which I utilize for shoe mileage. Strava handles that
    Could you please clarify what is the gear tracking?

Could you please clarify what is the gear tracking?

Garmin and Strava allow you to attribute gear used during an activity. After an activity syncs from my Coros->Strava, I select which shoe i used during the activity so I have an idea of when to retire shoes as they age.

You could also use it for tracking mileage on a bike or skis etc

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Which Garmin model did you use? Besides the battery life, how does it compare for skitouring and running?
    I am asking simply because everyone speak about the Garmin