Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 100 of 100
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yes it is, my last few days have just been doing laps on Horseshoe. The number of rocks visible is growing exponentially, be ready to do some hotstepping for sure. Although the trace of snow we have this morning should cover them up just enough to hide them, should be a classic CB day
    Yeah, Horseshoe was mildly terrifying with just enough snow to cover the rocks. I did my best to uncover them for you

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    This thread is fucking stupid.

    People bitching about having "MORE" things to ski right next to people complaining about covid lines and shitshows. This is a new tgr low.

    I will continue to thank my local ski patrol every time they get something open for the season.
    Someone actually started a thread complaining about too much powder getting inside his jacket when he skis.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,591
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Just melted a little ptex today. Just a little though so not bad after 4 days inbounds in shark ville


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same. Today was just too good to stick on groomers, eve though I was navigating thru rocks all day. For Wasatch people, there is something very weird happening at 9990. Most of the day there were 25-30 people just hanging out at the bottom of the lift. Smelled no maryjane. I was doing ski on laps with no lines most of the day and noticed the same people loitering at the bottom. It’s almost like they were ski groupies for the core shot set.


    First day that I logged 20k vert all year.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    HR
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Someone actually started a thread complaining about too much powder getting inside his jacket when he skis.
    Well, if the powder skirt had been included....

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,711
    Well played, grizz.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sandy, sl,ut
    Posts
    8,011
    Standards are going to change with global warming.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

    "I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    the LCC
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Standards have changed with global warming.
    fify
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,630
    Was discussing retired life with the wife and thinking that we'd move away from CO to somewhere else for the bulk of the year but visit CO in the winter for a few months. So which months would that be? Well, Feb-early April is what we decided on. While I love catching early season rope drops before Xmas that's just too unpredictable. Fuck the second half of December-MLK weekend, So I'd probably just show up around Feb when it starts to warm up and days get longer, and stay till the resorts start to close or get shitty or both. Yeah, I know all about third season too, and that could be an option on good years, but that's also when the desert/beach starts calling my name.

    I figure with the amount of money that I save from base repairs in the early season, I'll be able to retire at least 10 years early. {/dream]

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,233
    Buy stock in ptex as a hedge, then profit.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,711
    If I could only ski 3 months of the year it would be February through April.
    Last edited by Danno; 01-06-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If I could only ski 3 months of the year if would be February through April.
    Without a doubt.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,591
    I might opt for Jan-Feb-March, although April would be tough to give up. Once the tourists leave after the New Year, the slopes are empty and the snow is usually very good. I just can't see skiing less than 4 months out of the year. While Jan. is a great beach month south of the border, it can still be coldish is south FL. and very windy in HI. OTOH, April is fantastic in the Rockies and throughout most of the beach world. Both regions can be hit or miss in May and Dec.
    This is the first year in 15 that I have not spent an early winter week in CR, and I don't plan on my usual spring trip there. Funny thing is that I don't really miss it. I don't think that I could ever say that about January skiing.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,025

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,630
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    March-May
    Expected this from you. Doesn’t is seem like the freeze thaw in spring has lead to a lot less freeze in recent years which makes skiing bigger lines sketchier and sketchier.

    ETA retirement is probably 20 years so factor that into the equation we will be lucky to ski in May.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Expected this from you. Doesn’t is seem like the freeze thaw in spring has lead to a lot less freeze in recent years which makes skiing bigger lines sketchier and sketchier.

    ETA retirement is probably 20 years so factor that into the equation we will be lucky to ski in May.
    Not sure if that's good or bad that you expected that from me

    May can be a mixed bag for sure, I've skied lots of pow, lots of big lines, and cursed plenty of warm nights. But overall, if I look back on the last 20 years at my all-time favorite days, I can find a lot more in May than I can in February at the other end of the CO sweet spot. I need to find a way to live in Whistler Dec-March, then here in spring.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Same. Today was just too good to stick on groomers, eve though I was navigating thru rocks all day. For Wasatch people, there is something very weird happening at 9990. Most of the day there were 25-30 people just hanging out at the bottom of the lift. Smelled no maryjane. I was doing ski on laps with no lines most of the day and noticed the same people loitering at the bottom. It’s almost like they were ski groupies for the core shot set.


    First day that I logged 20k vert all year.
    How was the coverage up 9990? Will there still be enough to not die this weekend you think?

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    How was the coverage up 9990? Will there still be enough to not die this weekend you think?
    You won't die. I was mostly on the Upper East Face side. OK sized mogul/bump on the way down as usual. They were soft so no big deal. There were occasional semi-buried and exposed rocks/stumps/branches here and there. No P-Tex operation for me; only sustained minor light scratches. It's obvious we need about 2 to 3'.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Not sure if that's good or bad that you expected that from me

    May can be a mixed bag for sure, I've skied lots of pow, lots of big lines, and cursed plenty of warm nights. But overall, if I look back on the last 20 years at my all-time favorite days, I can find a lot more in May than I can in February at the other end of the CO sweet spot. I need to find a way to live in Whistler Dec-March, then here in spring.
    February's gotta be the best month in-bounds at the butte, no? March brings the rock hard slide-for-life conditions with warm days and January is hit or miss with open terrain.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    February's gotta be the best month in-bounds at the butte, no? March brings the rock hard slide-for-life conditions with warm days and January is hit or miss with open terrain.
    February can be good, no doubt. But CB's steep N facing terrain takes a lot of sun to really ice up, especially if you know every little aspect change like I do after all these years. And even so, an amazing Feb pow day at the ski area just won't stack up for me personally compared to all the big lines that I ski in May. I think I skied almost half the 14ers in May, for instance.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    13,625
    Open terrain today. This is standard shit around here though.

    Nice traverse
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_124127.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	357107

    The "goods"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_125430.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	357108

    This is actually normal coverage for this run. Honestly, you learn to love the sharks. Keeps you on your toes. Makes you a good skier. Jump turns are your friend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_130144.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	357112

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    12,034
    Interesting thread.

    I never saw a “thin cover” sign until I moved out east. Here they ski grass and rocks.

    Out west, used to be 60 to 70 inches before the upper mountain off piste was open. And even then, sharks were lurking.

    Is this year different? Or is it a trend over the years just to open terrain?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

    “I got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order University”
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Interesting thread.

    I never saw a “thin cover” sign until I moved out east. Here they ski grass and rocks.

    Out west, used to be 60 to 70 inches before the upper mountain off piste was open. And even then, sharks were lurking.

    Is this year different? Or is it a trend over the years just to open terrain?
    Depends on the mountain and in some cases, ops and patrol team. If most of the mountains in CO waited for 60-70 inches, they'd never open that terrain.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    outer spokanistan
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Open terrain today....
    no problema
    "I've left bodies dead in the street who couldn't keep up with me" john belushi

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Open terrain today. This is standard shit around here though.

    Nice traverse
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_124127.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	357107

    The "goods"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_125430.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	357108

    This is actually normal coverage for this run. Honestly, you learn to love the sharks. Keeps you on your toes. Makes you a good skier. Jump turns are your friend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_130144.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	357112
    That looks like good coverage.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Depends on the mountain and in some cases, ops and patrol team. If most of the mountains in CO waited for 60-70 inches, they'd never open that terrain.
    Same here in the Great White North.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •