Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skis for strong aggressive 12 year old

Well ok, she’s 11. Free skiing on gpo 155 and wants a better carving all mountain ski. Strong racer, puts close to 100 days a year on the hill. Looked at black pearl 88 and the Santa Anna ....hating the price. Anybody got Thoughts on a mid 150 cm all mountain ski w a race pedigree?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Well ok, she’s 11. Free skiing on gpo 155 and wants a better carving all mountain ski. Strong racer, puts close to 100 days a year on the hill. Looked at black pearl 88 and the Santa Anna ....hating the price. Anybody got Thoughts on a mid 150 cm all mountain ski w a race pedigree?

My better half is (was?) on the Nordica SAs in a 110. They're not light for a women's ski, but she enjoys the ski's damp feel and willingness to be laid on edge. They've been around for a few years, so maybe you can score a used pair that aren't hammered out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sportbittl. German webshop. Often has the narrow Blizzards and Volkls on huge discounts

Was gonna say black pearl or Santa Anna.

It does suck when you leave kid skis and kid ski pricing.
    Find lightly used or clearance.
    . . .

The skinny free skis in my young racer girls quivers are Volkl Yumi. 84mm waist and they seem to rail them pretty well. I think the Yumi and slightly wider stiffer Secret can be found fairly well priced because they aren't as popular as Black Pearls or Santa Anas. I happened to luck into immaculate ex-rentals for dirt cheap which helps so the budget can go toward the race skis

There are a LOT of 2020 Santa Ana 88s and 93s out there for way less than retail right now. Not sure why, almost all of the 2020 Enforcers are gone.

Santa Ana is a pretty stout ski for an 11 yr old I would think, especially the skinny ones which are stiffer. May be too much ski but I don't know your kid or how she skis . FWIW my wife skis them, I would put my 14 yo on them but not my 12 yo yet.

Skis for strong aggressive 12 year old

FWIW...

My girls at that age were on Volkl Yumis....they did a lot for their skiing development at the time. (Our local Volkl rep had his daughters on them too and recommended them)....

Yumis now have a little metal in them..so that is even better if your daughter can really rip.

*Daughters (20/18) are now on Sheeva9’s.....

Thanks. That is kind of my fear after hand flexing them.

Santa Ana line has been changed for 2020/21 with them now having a single sheet of titanal that’s tapered along the length(less metal on wider versions) vs the 2 full sheets previously. New models will be more forgiving and lighter but no deals on them yet.

The Volkl Kenja 88(Just different top sheet vs Kendo 88) is a partial metal sheet(titanal frame like the mantra line) so it’s lighter and flex’s great. Same ski as last year with a new top sheet so deals on the 2020 version.
    Ski Essentials has them with Attack2 11 bindings for $520 or $399 flat and they make a 156cm. Precise ski that’s not too demanding.

If she is really on a GPO and a strong racer with 100 days plus per year on the hill, the last thing I would do is buy her a ski.
    Ask her how much money she needs for a better ski, negotiate allowed price range, and let her do her own research and buy her own ski.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Not a bad idea.

She doesn’t want a “better” ski. Loves the GPO if it’s soft at all. Issue is the shit fuck conditions of this year have her wanting a ski that rails real hard pack but more versatile than a race ski. She’s been free skiing her task GS skis (152 head iGS)

Not a bad idea.

She doesn’t want a “better” ski. Loves the GPO if it’s soft at all. Issue is the shit fuck conditions of this year have her wanting a ski that rails real hard pack but more versatile than a race ski. She’s been free skiing her task GS skis (152 head iGS)

There are actually so many of ones that fit that bill on the used market. A Head Monster comes to mind. A Salmon Lord. A 85-90mm with Ti in the name.

If it is for hard pack, I'd stay under 95mm (even 85 to 90). I know PHAT is all the rage but hard/groomed firm is best on a narrower ski. Being a young gun, I suggest a park-hybrid model that can do double duty as fun jibber and groomer/all mountain -- not a light ski but a medium ski with at least some mass to make the hard pack more enjoyable and less reactive. Good luck!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Blizzard Rustler Team and Dynastar Menace 90 are both fun, solid skis for the little rippers. Not race stiff, but fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fischer or Nordica would be the 2 lines I'd check out for race background groomers. The Nordica Tweener GSjr skis if you do not want something wider under foot.

Elan possibly also (but I personally do not know as much about their shorter skis for lighter skiers- possibly Wingman has both 78 under foot with a 152 cm shortest length, and 82, now they have a 86 under the foot. With Ti layer in the full adult skis. They have a Tweener Wingman C also that would be shorter going only up to 150 cm.

Why not hit up the maggots who make skis and ask. Praxis, Moment, ON3P?

They care and they will know. A 12 year old daughter. That's sometimes the equivalent of a 14 year old boy. Very formative time.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I think Splat is selling some og 164 BRO's, with not too many days on them. They are stiff as all get out, last forever. No rocker. I think *theDad*(teledad) had his (12/13yr old?) daughter on some, back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Why not hit up the maggots who make skis and ask. Praxis, Moment, ON3P?
    Because none of those brands can make a ski that is remotely comparable to the big brands on firm/rough snow.

I call bull shit. They do make these skis. And they make them better than a bunch of marketing dweebs driving China and North Africa
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Just like the biggest women’s skis, the shortest men’s model’s, often sell at a discount.

I picked a clean pair of demo 161 Kastle MX84’s for my wife for $299. Demos are easy to adjust to fast growing feet, pass down or eventually sell.

find a Volkl Kenja in 149 or 156? It's been a round long enough there should be non-current year models for sale some where
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

i would look at K2 mindbender team,a ski that is designed for young agresive skiers,not a longer kids ski or shoter adult ski.A good freinds 12 year old daughter rips on them,she is in a high end race program and loves to freeski.I coach a 13 year old boy who also stared skiing them, he rips on them even on our east coast tera delfirme.not sure whatother companies have skiis targeting young teens but i would not consider an adult ski for an 11 year old

A solid choice for a 12 year old who can actually ski is the Head Kore Jr. (called the Kore Team this season). Check ebay as asogear (corbetts) has last years for $246US. Might be more than you want to spend since that obviously does not include bindings.

But the ski is probably exactly what you are looking for. It's a real ski. It's light (will likely be just right for a 12 yr old). The tip is substantial forward of contact point so should deal really well with 3d conditions. What they have for rocker, tip and tail, really is so negligible that I'd qualify it as none. They are stiff, but not stupid stiff like Smash 7's. They are stiffer than Rustler Jr's. They have a traditional rearward mount point customary of the Kore line (all Heads but park for that matter). The 153's are the size that is 87 underfoot and scaled up or down on other sizes. I have no affiliation with Head, but just picked these up for my far-less-talented-than-yours 12 yr old daughter because a decent deal on anything used in that mid 150 size is really hard to come by this year.

K2 Pinnacle Jr. 110 84 98 My daughter is 10 and a decent little racer but no she is no big mountain prodigy with 100 days on a real mountain. They rip hardback with a full wood core. I think hers are 139 but they also have a 149. I bought them with adjustable binders from Pugs Ski Essentials pretty cheap. She was ripping the shit out of em last weekend in the groomerz because I forced her off her race skis.

Looks like they are discontinued for 2020 so leftovers...cheap.

I thinks its a good compromise ski. Keeps her honest with her form because they need to be driven on hard pack to work, but definitely able to ski off the piste. And 84 underfoot is perfect to keep them useable here on our ice hill.

Also they have a traditional mount. So my girl can keep her race ski form.

Rocker shots per pm request from someone other than OP.

Last edited by uglymoney; 12-31-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Found faction 1.0 dictators for $199 in a 154cm. Seems solid. 2 sheets of metal 86 under foot