Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Based on the asking price alone, these skis probably belong in this thread

https://longskistruck.com/collection...-skis-for-sale

(apologies if this is already posted)

Curious to hear thoughts on the old Marker MRRs from anyone that actually rode them. I assume now they kinda sucked because they had that garbage late-90s/early-00s Marker toe, but I just remember being a little kid and thinking they were the coolest MF-ing bindings I'd ever seen. ¡They had springs on the outside!
    Name:  ski-marker-mrr.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  40.0 KB

Had one pair of mrr
    Had to reach down and lift the heel up.
    What a pain.

Marker toes were fine until biometric ejection pre release.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I wish you could still get a derbyflex.
    So true. If I ever come across one I'll snatch it up. Thinking Ski Truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    So true. If I ever come across one I'll snatch it up. Thinking Ski Truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I saw several there...the same ones that were there in 2004.
    That guy is absurd, his prices are absurd, the stuff won’t sell and he doesn’t care.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68349741-9C48-4D92-B899-39B7BD8A0B9C.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	357780

Also...should be noted (and I’m sure you know) it is a real motherfucking fuck of a fuck to get those off a ski, which is one reason why I wish you could get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Curious to hear thoughts on the old Marker MRRs from anyone that actually rode them. I assume now they kinda sucked because they had that garbage late-90s/early-00s Marker toe, but I just remember being a little kid and thinking they were the coolest MF-ing bindings I'd ever seen. ¡They had springs on the outside!
    Those toes were fine. I rode them then and I have a pair on some 215 DH skis that I use maybe once every two years now . . .

I think I have some deflex plates if you want them. Weren't those the ones that were glued and screwed onto the ski?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I think I have some deflex plates if you want them. Weren't those the ones that were glued and screwed onto the ski?
    Yes, strips of butyl tape from the parts store.

Dude, I totally want your deflex plates!

That guy is absurd, his prices are absurd, the stuff won’t sell and he doesn’t care.

Also...should be noted (and I’m sure you know) it is a real motherfucking fuck of a fuck to get those off a ski, which is one reason why I wish you could get a new one.
    So true. But just imagine the extinct ski gear bonanza that’ll occur when he’s committed by his family. How he pays the bills for that store to operate is beyond me. Or it’s the greatest drug money cleaning business in Utah

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Yes, strips of butyl tape from the parts store.

Dude, I totally want your deflex plates!
    I'll look in the bin tomorrow and see what I have.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    It’s like geology: heat, pressure, and a lot of time...

I always had the most trouble cleaning the rest of the goop out of the channels so you could get new tape in and get it to sit flat.

I got rid of the last of my derbys years ago, but I have end caps and hardware if you want/need them.

Removing Derby's is best done with a red hot stainless wire to "floss" it off the ski. I used to have to remove 20-30 pair every year when I was coaching. Not bad once you have the system down.

You can also put a large posidrive screwdriver in a cordless drill, wedge the shaft of the screwdriver under the front of the plate, pull the drill trigger, and "roll" the Derby and adhesive up off the ski. Think rotobrush with more force.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    So true. But just imagine the extinct ski gear bonanza that’ll occur when he’s committed by his family. How he pays the bills for that store to operate is beyond me. Or it’s the greatest drug money cleaning business in Utah

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I have pressed that guy about a sale of the entire inventory. He will not even discuss it.

I think his financial model is getting all that junk gear in bulk for pennies, then selling beaters old rental gear for 3 or 400 of pure profit. But also, what the hell do I know? It’s an insane place and it ends up upsetting me when I find something I just can’t leave there, then that knob wants $400 for it...or whatever.

This is the place on n temple? Need to check it out...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Based on the asking price alone, these skis probably belong in this thread

https://longskistruck.com/collection...-skis-for-sale

(apologies if this is already posted)
    Haha, I know the guy selling these. Often seen ripping zipper line moguls on scorpions at my local hill.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Had them too. Good bindings, just a very few prereleases. For the heel part the DIN-skale got lose and lost quite often.

I love going into that ski history museum. But I agree, his prices are way out of line and he's kind of a dick about negotiating. He'd probably sell 10x as much if his prices were realistic.

The place should be on any gear geeks bucket list for it's gear history displays.

I haven't been there in a while, but every time I go in I'm amazed he is still there and not bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't think the Shaman sold well - Garmont was a touring brand, and the Shaman was absolutely not a touring boot. They were available on clearance sales for years after production stopped, at stupid cheap prices, hence...

Outside the boxes is my current pair (my second - the first pair started cracking and the flex changed). In the boxes are the future backups. The blue pair is the only blue pair I've ever seen, all the rest have been brown.

I like this boot because it's an almost perfect fit right out of the box - just a small metatarsal punch needed, and it holds my heels down with no slippage. There's no walk mode, no cuff cant adjustment, and the buckles are all burly and all attach with machine screws - no rivets anywhere on the boot. Basically nothing to break or wear out.

What I'd like to change is that it's heavy. I'm tempted by newer boots mostly to see if I can find something that fits the same but weighs less. And frankly, I don't think I need a boot quite this stiff, but using a Booster strap on the inside of the shell overlap makes it ski a little nicer for me.
    "What I'd like to change is that it's heavy. I'm tempted by newer boots mostly to see if I can find something that fits the same but weighs less."

Probably the closest light boot is the Atomic Hawx Ultra. The S models can even be moved to 17* forward lean if that's your thing. May even be snugger, but the memory fit works well.

But pay attention to stance, No matter what I tried it toasts my quads. But I'm a sample of one and have not heard this complaint from others.

The Nordica Promachine is similar but not as snug. Better stance for me.

These two boots have a similar abducted forefoot to the Shamans. Tecnica, Salomon, and Lange are more adducted in the forefoot and will not feel the same.

I also think the Shamans ribbed sole encourages ski flex under foot.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    "What I'd like to change is that it's heavy. I'm tempted by newer boots mostly to see if I can find something that fits the same but weighs less."

Probably the closest light boot is the Atomic Hawx Ultra. The S models can even be moved to 17* forward lean if that's your thing. May even be snugger, but the memory fit works well.

But pay attention to stance, No matter what I tried it toasts my quads. But I'm a sample of one and have not heard this complaint from others.

The Nordica Promachine is similar but not as snug. Better stance for me.

These two boots have a similar abducted forefoot to the Shamans. Tecnica, Salomon, and Lange are more adducted in the forefoot and will not feel the same.

I also think the Shamans ribbed sole encourages ski flex under foot.
    I should go try on the Hawx Ultra. My touring boot is the Hawx Ultra XTD, and it fits nicely. The heel hold isn't as good as the Shaman, and the flex is quite different (XTD flex is more like hitting a wall rather than actual stiff flex), but it's the best fitting touring boot I've ever had.

I had an older alpine Atomic Hawx that was OK, but roomier than the Shaman. I think that boot has changed quite a bit since then, and the Ultra is the lower volume one these days IIRC. My older ones were sort of translucent grey with red slits along the sides of the foot, with urethane type inserts that supposedly added some give or something. The shells cracked after only two years though.

Thanks for the info on abducted vs adducted. I have not paid attention to that in boots.

My touring boot is the Hawx Ultra XTD, and it fits nicely. The heel hold isn't as good as the Shaman, If you have the first generation with the really floppy liner , it could be the liner.

That older Hawx was the Prime, 100mm last. I think the gills and the shaman ribbed sole were trying to achieve the same thing. A little longitudinal flex for better ski flex.
    More esoterically, the designers may have been trying to encourage some windlass mechanism activation with theses designs.

Thanks for the info on abducted vs adducted. I have not paid attention to that in boots.

Anybody who needs a sixth toe punch in a Tecnica, Lange, or Salomon when trying on boots should try a Nordica or Atomic before picking a boot.

The Nordica and Atomic abduction is only at the forefoot, not like the Fischer which rotate the whole foot.
    Last edited by turnfarmer; 01-14-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

My Hawx XTD are the first ones, the WTR soles and very thin orange liners. I haven't tried using any other liners in them.

IAS or anyone who wants any of these: these are the old race or riser plates I have. You're welcome to them, just cover shipping. I'm pretty sure I kept the mounting screws too, I just need to dig more and match up screws.

Left to right (first pic) :

1) Salomon power axe race. I removed these from old Salomon GS skis because the rubbery bits are worn out and the metal plate floats and rattles. Maybe you can fix it... I couldn't so I used other risers on that ski.

2) Unknown, no label on the metal. Black blocks that go between the metal and the ski have no longer sticky adhesive. I think these are for Look / Rossi.

3) Several sets of Rossi Axial risers. I'd like to keep one set.

Second pic is same stuff with the first two plates tipped sideways. And photo uploader rotated it.

Rossignol Axioms such a great ski changed skiing powder. For me.

The Original 186 Bibby 08-09, 09-10. Tip and tail rocker flat underfoot. That skied so well I should have never sold either pair. Wish Moment would bring it back.

If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

sickle was a fun ski. still rips. but designs have moved on. it had a lot of rubber in it, i don't see that very often anymore. literally a layer when you looked at the sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Haha, I know the guy selling these. Often seen ripping zipper line moguls on scorpions at my local hill.

That price is outrageous but the Jean-Claude Killy video he posted was pretty cool