Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Why does every 130 flex boot on the market feel softer than the 110 flex boots I used in high school 20 years ago?

It’s not just the I weigh more - my BiL still has his L8s from high school and just trying them on side by side with our RX130s we both agree the 130 is softer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Why does every 130 flex boot on the market feel softer than the 110 flex boots I used in high school 20 years ago?

It’s not just the I weigh more - my BiL still has his L8s from high school and just trying them on side by side with our RX130s we both agree the 130 is softer

weight savings?
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    weight savings?
    Not worth it

Not worth it

i would agree, especially for a resort boot.
    swing your fucking sword.

For extinct (but classic and should be brought back) boots, the Garmont Shaman / Scott G1 130.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Extinct Skis and Gear

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    For extinct (but classic and should be brought back) boots, the Garmont Shaman / Scott G1 130.
    I have a pair of these, Scott version, 297 bsl, thrashed but plenty of life left that I’d pass along to a mag for cost of shipping. I am not worthy.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-12-2021 at 07:46 AM.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

L8s and L10s were just “nasty boots”, as the ad copy implied. Plug race boots still flex pretty much the same as they used to.

Most “130” flex recreational boots nowadays are softer than their generational counterparts, and it’s amplified by a few things. Boots are a hell of a lot easier to put on and take off nowadays, because the materials and the modulus of the plastic are different, and that makes the boot feel softer in flex. Also, another side effect of less forward lean in modern boots means that people have more range of motion before maxing out their physical capabilities (dorsiflexion) or the boot itself, so it also feels softer.

Plus, Americans are so fucking fat that everything feels squishy. The euros still think 130 is uber-stiff, ja.

I had garmont AT of that vintage wide forefoot narrower heel/ankle

so alwasy wondered how those fit ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'll add in that superbros are sick sick sick. Don't know what a modern replacement would be. If someone has suggestions I'm all ears.

I spent today on my pair running top to bottom laps at Saas Fee. They just want to dominate the vertical and push you as fast as you can go. They take some work to turn off piste and don't like tight spaces but if you have room to let them run they just want to di their thing.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

I had some of these and loved them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Old boot-fore and aft/tip to tail steering 210s boot feels stiffer flexing forward
    New boot-lateral motion/across the slope steering 180 somethings boot should be stiffer or as stiff laterally
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had garmont AT of that vintage wide forefoot narrower heel/ankle

so alwasy wondered how those fit ?
    I don't think they're too similar. I had Garmont Axon AT boots for awhile, and they fit well enough to use - but that was at a time when AT boots were evolving quickly, going from Kleenex box shapelessness to actually being shaped like feet.

I tried some Nordica Patron and Dobermann boots, and those were similar in shape to the Shaman, but I recall them being higher volume and not as good a fit for me.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Pretty sure Shaman was designed by the guy who designed the Dobermann Aggressor. Which if you eliminate the extra abduction probably inherited DNA from previous Dobermann, which come from Sven Coomer's Grand Prix.

I don't think the Shaman sold well - Garmont was a touring brand, and the Shaman was absolutely not a touring boot. They were available on clearance sales for years after production stopped, at stupid cheap prices, hence...

Outside the boxes is my current pair (my second - the first pair started cracking and the flex changed). In the boxes are the future backups. The blue pair is the only blue pair I've ever seen, all the rest have been brown.

I like this boot because it's an almost perfect fit right out of the box - just a small metatarsal punch needed, and it holds my heels down with no slippage. There's no walk mode, no cuff cant adjustment, and the buckles are all burly and all attach with machine screws - no rivets anywhere on the boot. Basically nothing to break or wear out.

What I'd like to change is that it's heavy. I'm tempted by newer boots mostly to see if I can find something that fits the same but weighs less. And frankly, I don't think I need a boot quite this stiff, but using a Booster strap on the inside of the shell overlap makes it ski a little nicer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    I'll add in that superbros are sick sick sick. Don't know what a modern replacement would be. If someone has suggestions I'm all ears.
    Glad to see another pair was out in the wild today. I was thinking the same thing on the chair today...what would I replace these with?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0866.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	772.9 KB 
ID:	357418

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Glad to see another pair was out in the wild today. I was thinking the same thing on the chair today...what would I replace these with?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0866.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	772.9 KB 
ID:	357418
    Nothing. Because they’re extinct.

Are those my old pair?

I don't think the Shaman sold well - Garmont was a touring brand, and the Shaman was absolutely not a touring boot. They were available on clearance sales for years after production stopped, at stupid cheap prices, hence...

Outside the boxes is my current pair (my second - the first pair started cracking and the flex changed). In the boxes are the future backups. The blue pair is the only blue pair I've ever seen, all the rest have been brown.

I like this boot because it's an almost perfect fit right out of the box - just a small metatarsal punch needed, and it holds my heels down with no slippage. There's no walk mode, no cuff cant adjustment, and the buckles are all burly and all attach with machine screws - no rivets anywhere on the boot. Basically nothing to break or wear out.

What I'd like to change is that it's heavy. I'm tempted by newer boots mostly to see if I can find something that fits the same but weighs less. And frankly, I don't think I need a boot quite this stiff, but using a Booster strap on the inside of the shell overlap makes it ski a little nicer for me.
    New Tecnica MV Concept is relatively a light boot and it is stiff at its rating of 140.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    New Tecnica MV Concept is relatively a light boot and it is stiff at its rating of 140.

I don't think any boot marked medium volume is what I'm looking for.

The Tecnica Mach 1 LV might fit - Mrs C has those, and the heel pocket seems adequate. The buckles are crap though. A couple of hers are already bent, and the boot is only 2 or 3 seasons old.

I wish you could still get a derbyflex.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Nothing. Because they’re extinct.

Are those my old pair?
    Yep, still going strong! Thanks for letting me have a turn with them.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Yep, still going strong! Thanks for letting me have a turn with them.
    FKNA, that makes me happy. Especially since I’m not logging the snow time to be in shape to DD those babies.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post

In room temperature they flexed softer than my RX130 at room temperature

Because you’re fatter now.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    weight savings?
    My RX130 shells are heavier than my old L10 shells, so nope.

I just realized that aside from a brief fling with a pair of Salomons during the winter of 2011-2012, I've spent almost all of my skiing life (after getting out of kids gear in about 6th grade) skiing Lange boots. I've owned L10's, Comp 120's, RX120's and RX130's. The RX120's actually came stock with an elastic booster strap. I need to pull those off those shells and swap them onto the 130's. They're all cold, they all leak snow and water, but they ski beautifully and fit my feet almost perfectly out of the box.

My 130's feel stiff enough to me, but I'm 5'8" and weigh 155 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    ^^^I always wanted a pair, but found a pair of Research Dynamics DH Race Valdez Extremes. Purple topsheet with neon yellow sidewalls, Solly 997s.

Fuck I'm an idiot for selling them.
    My first decent tele ski. RD Valdez extremes.

Most memorable old ski was yellow banana atomic arc slalom. 203cm I think.
    Taught me a lesson to never ever get in the backseat.
    And press the shins every turn!

I kinda miss that shin press rhythm on hard pack. It was rhythmically satisfying
    . . .