Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 281
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Outwear/technical gear that isn't made out of recycled shit.
    Outerwear with 6-chain DWR, just for myself . . . the new environmentally friendly stuff is simply not as good, but it's all you can buy now.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    Look's second-gen Pivot heel

    They had a few different names between the Look and Rossi variants, but they came along when Look changed the original/current Pivot to the "FKS" and designated it as their top-tier metal race binding. The second-gens were cheaper, lighter, less finicky, and more adjustable than the original/current Pivots while retaining most of their heel elasticity. Look ditched them with the PX series in an effort to improve forward pressure, ultimately admitting their mistake and re-releasing the original Pivot. The second-gen Pivots were the go-to for a lot of friends in our early days of park skiing. They weren't quite as burly as the original, but I have a soft spot for 'em.

    Rossi variant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	355863

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Look's second-gen Pivot heel

    They had a few different names between the Look and Rossi variants, but they came along when Look changed the original/current Pivot to the "FKS" and designated it as their top-tier metal race binding. The second-gens were cheaper, lighter, less finicky, and more adjustable than the original/current Pivots while retaining most of their heel elasticity. Look ditched them with the PX series in an effort to improve forward pressure, ultimately admitting their mistake and re-releasing the original Pivot. The second-gen Pivots were the go-to for a lot of friends in our early days of park skiing. They weren't quite as burly as the original, but I have a soft spot for 'em.

    Rossi variant
    Attachment 355862
    I broke every pair I ever had. And I almost never break shit.
    focus.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I broke every pair I ever had. And I almost never break shit.
    I broke every pair of PXs I had, too. I think that's mostly what makes me wistful for the Pivots.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,916

    Extinct Skis and Gear

    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I broke every pair of PXs I had, too. I think that's mostly what makes me wistful for the Pivots.
    Fair. I never skied a pair long enough to put any wear on them. PX is what made me switch to OG pivots/fks, actually. They lost the ski feel and elasticity that is the point of that binding design. PX is a big clunky, thunky binding, and Salomon does that a lot better.
    focus.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Just came here to say that the Gotama never had metal...ever. And from a shape perspective, it was 1-cm wider Explosiv, with a big twin and NO metal...more balanced flex, too. I actually think the Gotama was a better all around ski than the Explosiv, but the Explosiv was an amazing crud ski.

    These lists are fun for nostalgia purposes, but I donít miss all the old stuff. Most new designs really are better.
    I would say correct me if Iím wrong, but you already did...

    I couldíve sworn the first year Gotama (all black, gotama emblem a la maroon explosiv) had a band of metal just like the karmas?

    Agree itís just nostalgia-wanking, but itís fun. I guess if you really want to talk equipment they just do not make anymore, itís super bros, 194 mx98, 194 OG LP, 193 im103, 193 Titan Pro, etc. Those death wish, stiff, straight, damn-the-torpedoes skis are legitimately extinct.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    2,284
    Fine.

    Send me all of your OG LPR's.
    Yesterday.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    15,566
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    None of this extinct gear was actually that great. YOU were younger, thinner, stronger and had bigger balls. Especially the guys.
    There's no way I'd be skiing at 70 on the gear I learned on, or the gear I had at 50 for that matter. New skis are like new legs.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,023
    I've skied a lot of new skis. I would legitimately like to find a modern ski that does what my ancient skis do. 183 Rossi Axioms- heavy, straight, and damp. Tell them to carve, they carve. Pressure the tail just a touch, they slarve. Still haven't found a ski that does that. Metal Bodacious is close, plus a little fatter, but that's about it. Even old school Monsters and XXL's didn't really hold a candle.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,210
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There's no way I'd be skiing at 70 on the gear I learned on, or the gear I had at 50 for that matter. New skis are like new legs.
    I was gona say like viagra
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    On particularly epic days I still rock a full corduroy onepiece from Orage that I bought 14 years ago off someone on the Newschoolers forums. It is not only my all-time favorite piece of ski gear - it is my favorite thing I have ever owned. Period. I refer to it as the teddy bear suit and it's amazing.

    Name:  IMG_0131.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  213.8 KB

    PS if anyone knows what this thing was actually called, I'd appreciate a heads up. My only clue is that the tag says "Orage Gallery" and there were normal jacket/pant versions made that year with the same DWR corduroy. As I remember it Orage only produced a few of the full suits back in 2006-ish, and many internet searches over the years to find a proper name/picture have come up empty.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Driving around the RFV
    Posts
    7,302
    I had the the same suit in waterproof/breathable denim. It was so baggy I couldn't ski in it. Even though it was a Medium, the crotch sat near the top of my shins when I was wearing it. You must have a 40 inch inseam. Also, the corduroy is way cooler than the denim.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I had the the same suit in waterproof/breathable denim. It was so baggy I couldn't ski in it. Even though it was a Medium, the crotch sat near the top of my shins when I was wearing it. You must have a 40 inch inseam. Also, the corduroy is way cooler than the denim.
    Haha. It definitely took some time to figure out the proper suspender length to get it to wear comfortably.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,040
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    On particularly epic days I still rock a full corduroy onepiece from Orage that I bought 14 years ago off someone on the Newschoolers forums. It is not only my all-time favorite piece of ski gear - it is my favorite thing I have ever owned. Period. I refer to it as the teddy bear suit and it's amazing.

    Name:  IMG_0131.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  213.8 KB

    PS if anyone knows what this thing was actually called, I'd appreciate a heads up. My only clue is that the tag says "Orage Gallery" and there were normal jacket/pant versions made that year with the same DWR corduroy. As I remember it Orage only produced a few of the full suits back in 2006-ish, and many internet searches over the years to find a proper name/picture have come up empty.
    This ^^ post is why I read this forum!

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    954
    Childhood buddy of mine had a CB corduroy puffy coat back in the day... OG steeze from the Toughskins era.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    2,284
    Sears Toughskins
    My first favorite piece of clothing. My blue toughskin pants.
    I'd ask Mom to wash them every thursday, because they were my 'Friday' pant, for school. 2nd grade, Albany GA, 1971

    Methinks them's pretty dang extinct.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,573
    I have some North Face ski pants from mid/late 2000s that are brown corduroy.

    I like wearing them on storm days because they cake up with ice and snow, but stay dry inside. Gets good reactions from people on the lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    They were? Posted some of the Sollys months ago but got no takers.

    Thereís a chance some of the K2s ended up in storage in central Jersey. : )
    Iím not crazy. Posted all the K2s and Sollys here two years ago, no takers.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=324750

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aloft
    Posts
    3,721
    In a seperate WTB thread!?! Weak sauce!!!

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mosier, OR
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Honestly. Bluehouse anything. Mavens, maestro, precinct, and shoots. Maybe not the prettiest, but definitely the most underrated, dollar per fun, skis ever.

    Still have my Mavens, they won't die and hope they don't.
    My current active quiver is all Bluehouse- Maestros, Mavens, Shoots. I still have backup pairs of Maestros and Shoots and a pair of Precincts still in plastic in my ski rack. I just sold a pair of the 1st gen Precincts a couple of weeks ago as I new I would never mount them. I wish I had picked up a backup pair of Mavens but my current pair is still pretty minty as they only come out a couple time a year. Almost all of those skis were less than $300 off season. Wish Bluehouse was still around as they made great skis and were such a good value.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    My current active quiver is all Bluehouse- Maestros, Mavens, Shoots. I still have backup pairs of Maestros and Shoots and a pair of Precincts still in plastic in my ski rack. I just sold a pair of the 1st gen Precincts a couple of weeks ago as I new I would never mount them. I wish I had picked up a backup pair of Mavens but my current pair is still pretty minty as they only come out a couple time a year. Almost all of those skis were less than $300 off season. Wish Bluehouse was still around as they made great skis and were such a good value.
    Gold Maven is a timeless gem. Still ski them quite a bit. FaF on anything soft, including corn-mank

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I've skied a lot of new skis. I would legitimately like to find a modern ski that does what my ancient skis do. 183 Rossi Axioms- heavy, straight, and damp. Tell them to carve, they carve. Pressure the tail just a touch, they slarve. Still haven't found a ski that does that. Metal Bodacious is close, plus a little fatter, but that's about it. Even old school Monsters and XXL's didn't really hold a candle.
    Another extinct ski is the replacement. 4frnt EHP, similar feel but with a progressive mount. Some rumors that 4frnt might bring it back

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Look's second-gen Pivot heel

    They had a few different names between the Look and Rossi variants, but they came along when Look changed the original/current Pivot to the "FKS" and designated it as their top-tier metal race binding. The second-gens were cheaper, lighter, less finicky, and more adjustable than the original/current Pivots while retaining most of their heel elasticity. Look ditched them with the PX series in an effort to improve forward pressure, ultimately admitting their mistake and re-releasing the original Pivot. The second-gen Pivots were the go-to for a lot of friends in our early days of park skiing. They weren't quite as burly as the original, but I have a soft spot for 'em.

    Rossi variant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	355863
    I was working for the R group at the time of that abominations introduction. Stocking up on "real" Pivots and FKS became the company wide sport. The retail version was a travesty and the demo version was even worse. The SPX was a welcome change and the reintroduction of real pivots even more so.
    I got in trouble at a sales meeting for showing up with skis mounted with real pivots during this time.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I've skied a lot of new skis. I would legitimately like to find a modern ski that does what my ancient skis do. 183 Rossi Axioms- heavy, straight, and damp. Tell them to carve, they carve. Pressure the tail just a touch, they slarve. Still haven't found a ski that does that. Metal Bodacious is close, plus a little fatter, but that's about it. Even old school Monsters and XXL's didn't really hold a candle.

    i know, right? hard to believe these things are still in high in my rotation after 25 + years....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	356009


    still work just fine though.

    Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  76.1 KB

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Down by the river, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    he was spansered and that ^^is the sx90, the 91 was red & white, the 92 was black/yellow/orange
    I didn't realize Girardelli was skiing in the 91's. I was at Lake Louise in 83 when he crashed in double trouble and he finally stopped sliding at my feet. I think he was one of the favorites at that race as he had won the previous WC DH race.

    I skied the 91's for years but do remember them being fairly flexy (though comfie as fuck). I'm thinking the pros wearing them beefed them up some, but maybe not. When I was a speed skiing hack I remember some of the top guys (the 200km + boys) liked em because more forward flex could get you closer to egg shape in your tuck. They were also pretty aerodynamic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •