Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help recommend me an inbounds jong ski

~*~jong alert~*~

sorry folks, i'm sure there's a thread for this exact topic somewhere, but i could use some help.

i need a daily driver for resort skiing, but i've never been much of a resort skier, and i'm bogged down by too many choices. help me figure out how to live my life? also recs on which resort binders, since the real motivation here is to not be skiing pins in the resort like a JONG. i assume the standard "get pivots" applies, but if there are other options i'm all ears.

about me: six feet tall, 155lbs sopping wet, advanced skier (not in the tgr sense, but in the "level 3 of 4 levels" sense, like they use at resorts)
    skis i've loved: i had QST 106s the last time I had a resort ski (sold because of covid/no pass this year), i liked how good it was in powder but i hated how sluggish they felt. not very good in tight trees. right now i'm on down CD104L's as my daily touring sticks, and while i wish the tails were a little easier to break out, they're super damp and very responsive. i also just mounted a pair of bmt94's, which i really like, they feel very slashy while still holding an edge when i need them to.
    what i'm kinda keen on: i'd like something right around 185, 100-110 underfoot, *somewhat* forgiving (i don't need a take-no-prisoners charger). ideally a somewhat lighter ski, not a ton of camber underfoot (even okay with gently fully rockered), directional. again - my light weight + the fact i am not an absolute ripper means i need a ski that isn't just going to boss me around.

Here are a few skis that sound appealing to me:

ON3P Woodsman 108
    Moment Meridian
    Atomic Backland 107
    Atomic Bentchetler 100
    Praxis GPO
    Volkl Katanas

thanks y'all, much appreciated

Enforcer, despite its moniker is the new soul 7, but actually decent.

Add the Enforcer 100 to the list. I'm having big fun on mine. More drive and stability than the QST99 they replaced.

help recommend me an inbounds jong ski

Corvus or atris
    Enforcer 104
    Rustler 10

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Only one on that list I have a lot of experience with is the gpo. If I could only have one ski, resort and backcountry, and it was always going to be soft, it would be a gpo with tectons.

That being said I'd probably want something a bit more hard snow focused and a little narrower for a daily driver resort ski, especially since you have other options for a powder day.

Isn't the Backland more of a touring ski?

I skied an Enforcer once at a demo day and agree with the above you should check that out. Super easy ski, not too heavy, and seems like they show up around here for pretty cheap.

I sort of doubt you really need pivots. Wardens or Attacks are way cheaper and being able to put a touring boot in there if you need to is sometimes a nice option.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

This is great option -- esp if not sold yet -- Moment Wildcat 108 in 184. Newer builds are pretty darn light, easy to break loose, good enough on hardpack: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...nt-Wildcat-108

Enforcer 104 Free a good option too. If you go Corvus, I'd think you'd prefer the 183 vs the 188--while easy to swing around it's a lot more ski than the 181 CD104L (I have both.)

Judging by your taste in espresso equipment I think you should be looking at DPS or Stockli.

But seriously--Backland is probably lighter and softer than what you're looking for. I have the previous generation 109's which are a bit heavier and stiffer for soft days but I wouldn't call it a daily driver resort ski.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Judging by your taste in espresso equipment I think you should be looking at DPS or Stockli.

But seriously--Backland is probably lighter and softer than what you're looking for. I have the previous generation 109's which are a bit heavier and stiffer for soft days but I wouldn't call it a daily driver resort ski.
    yeahhhhh the reason i put the backland on the list is because my comfort zone is lighter/softer skis. again, i'm a light dude, and i'm not a "turn it up to 11" skier anyway. i'm just afraid that with a name like The Enforcer, it would kick my ass.

and i'm tempted by those Woodsmens, I just don't know if they'll be 2 much 5 me

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Woodsmans or the Wildcats I posted?

If the Wildcats, they won't be too much for you. If you like touring on the 181 CD104L that is. Softer and easier tail for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Woodsmans or the Wildcats I posted?

If the Wildcats, they won't be too much for you. If you like touring on the 181 CD104L that is. Softer and easier tail for sure.
    oh shit sorry, yeah, wildcats. yeah my one complaint on the CD104L is that tail just doesn't wanna break free as much as i want it to. i am sorely tempted by your wildcats though.

yeahhhhh the reason i put the backland on the list is because my comfort zone is lighter/softer skis. again, i'm a light dude, and i'm not a "turn it up to 11" skier anyway. i'm just afraid that with a name like The Enforcer, it would kick my ass.

I recently bought (but haven't skied yet) some Atomic Vantage 97 ti, which also come in a 107 width, which I think are the same shape as the Backland, but burlier. There's also a "C" version (no metal?) - no idea how that compares to the ti vs Backland versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Which resort do you primarily ski at? Even in the Wasatch, my preferences vary based on which resort I'm spending most of my time at.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Which resort do you primarily ski at? Even in the Wasatch, my preferences vary based on which resort I'm spending most of my time at.
    last year i had a basin pass

this year i have a "walking up pcmr at night pass", with a couple dirtbag days at alta and snowbird thrown in the mix

next year i'll have an ikon pass

Honestly there are so many good 100-110mm underfoot skis out there its hard to go wrong. You may really dig the corvus if you like full rocker/flat underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Honestly there are so many good 100-110mm underfoot skis out there its hard to go wrong. You may really dig the corvus if you like full rocker/flat underfoot.
    honestly that's kinda my problem. i'm just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of skis in this category, and i don't even know where to start

I've got 100+ days on the Backland 107s. I'm not sure why it's being called soft. It's light, but I wouldn't call it a soft ski by any means. (Last year, there were three competitors on the FWT, including hard-charger Aymar Navarro, that used the Backland 107s in competition.) Anyhow, I've found it to be a solid all-around ski. I skin up the local resort many mornings, and it's plenty fun and carvable on firm groomers. (I prefer the 107s to my less-fun ZeroG 95s.) I think, with alpine bindings, it'd be a fine resort ski.

That said, I'd lean toward the Vantage 107s over the Backlands, which I think have the same specs but more metal and heft. If they're a heavier, damper version of the Backland 107s, they'd be a killer resort ski.

honestly that's kinda my problem. i'm just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of skis in this category, and i don't even know where to start
    Do what I do, just start trolling ksl till you find a deal on something. If you don't like it, wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm roughly your size, but a bit older and skis are going to feel different for us vs someone 180 or 200+.

FWIW I love the Enforcer's. Definitely worth a look at either 100 or 104. Very intuitive for me, floats well enough, carves well, easy to ski but can hold up well for lighter guys skiing pretty hard. It's not what I'd consider a burly ski or a charger so that's probably why some don't like it or over power it.

A couple of skis I demoed and disliked because they felt too stiff and beefy at my weight were bonafide and vantage. A ski I disliked because I felt it to light and seemed to get deflected easily was rustler 10. And I did not like the older qst because it felt dead but haven't skied the newer ones.

I do not think a Backland type light weight ski is best for dedicated inbounds setup but YMMV.

I just paid full fucking retail for some Enforcer 100s yesterday because I love my Enforcer 110s so much and needed something skinnier for low-snow days and ripping around with the kiddos. So add me to the Enforcer fanboy club. I think the Enforcer 104s would be pretty much ideal for a one-resort-ski quiver.

Despite their name, they are by no means a burly ski, instead they are just super easy to ski, regardless of the size of turn you are making. They are soft enough that I find them slightly lacking in beat up heavier snow but I am old enough that I do not need to be skiing thick chowder at hero snow speeds anymore.

damn it seems like the enforcer is the dark horse candidate of the day. enforcer 100/104 seems like the right deal to me - lots of great reviews, people really love 'em, and they don't seem punishingly stiff. i've got kusalas for deep resort days (mounted by yours truly with tectons), so yeah, a 2-ski quiver would be great.

and binders?? i know, fucking jong-ass question. the closest i've ever come to resort binders are shifts. pivots or attacks will get the job done?

now to go figure out how to scunge a pro deal here. thanks mags.

Not full rocker, but the Volkl Blaze recieves a lot of praise.
    Pretty light and supposedly easy going.

Regarding GPOs. If you found qst106 difficult to release, then I can't imagine GPOs working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Not full rocker, but the Volkl Blaze recieves a lot of praise.
    Pretty light and supposedly easy going.

Regarding GPOs. If you found qst106 difficult to release, then I can't imagine GPOs working out for you.
    I didn't find qsts difficult to release at all, just kinda dead and not lively. Damp for days (great at chunder for their weight) and fun in deep snow but that's it really.

I didn't find qsts difficult to release at all, just kinda dead and not lively. Damp for days (great at chunder for their weight) and fun in deep snow but that's it really.
    Ok, sorry. Misread / mixed with the 104s.

Regardless, I've found the GPOs to have a pretty solid tail. I agree it's a strong carver for its width, but you'll pay for it in tight terrain / at slow speed.

Pivots and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Ok, sorry. Misread / mixed with the 104s.

Regardless, I've found the GPOs to have a pretty solid tail. I agree it's a strong carver for its width, but you'll pay for it in tight terrain / at slow speed.
    yeah don't get me wrong i like the 104L's, i like them a lot, i just need to man up and ski em like i mean it. and it's a minor gripe, really.