Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Billy's pretty stoked on the place, but I don't think he wears the hat anymore.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3305A31E-8A4D-4F52-96A9-473C86BC4629.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	355697

Deeper days...

Name:	B407095C-F007-4733-ACF4-AFD5BB8FA466.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	675.7 KB 
ID:	355698

Inside source here tells me Steamboat Powersports can't keep anything in stock, sleds are being sold sight unseen from new residents that haven't even moved here yet. Rabbit Ears is a zoo. Saw dozens of tracks yesterday morning on the west side (no sled zone), when one guy does it, everyone else thinks it's ok. Different thread for sure but relevant to Sbt becoming more of a shit show.

There's still only 20K people in this valley and it's a wonderful place to live if you're not paying attention. It's all relevant to where you are on the timescale of things. Newcomers are ecstatic. Old timers are bitter. I've only been here for 6 years but going on 30 for Colorado, everywhere is different and somewhat depressing if hyperfocused. It's hella better than the Vail valley IMO, love that I can get out in the wilderness on a saturday and still not see a soul. There's a ton of room for growth in this valley and it is happening fast nowadays, but it will be another 5-10 years before we get a Whole Foods or REI, and I'm ok with that, though City Market does need to expand..

Am I happy with the way things are headed? No. I was stoked on the Ikon at first b/c Jackson and Highlands and Big Sky, and even my old haunts of A-basin and sometimes Eldora. But seeing how the mountain can't hang with the sudden influx has been frustrating. Growth in Ft. Collins and northern front range in general brings the day-trippers and weekenders here way more than people think. I thought I would retire here and have someone dump my ashes on top of Hahns Pk to be with my dogs, but having second thoughts, not because of the town, but because of the resort and all that brings. But for now, it's still a pretty sweet place to be all things considered.

In terms of the mtn, Bar UE is your friend. Hike to top of Morningside, takes less time than waiting in line. Avoid Sunshine/wally world. Some of the most consistent runs inbounds are right under the lifts. Small airs and short steep pitches in the canyon served up all day long. Trees, bumps, sunshine and pow, that's what it's all about. Storm skiing is the absolute best as the jerrys refuse to ski top of mtn when it's socked in. But if you want gnar all day, this ain't the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper View Post
    Option 3: A soft revolution. The thinking man's war. A war of attrition. An
    insurgency of wit. A YeeeeeeHaaaaaaad! Get inside and turn 'em. Humiliate the
    IKON bastards off, back to Texas, Denver, New York, California, and Chicago, Rome,
    Geneva, Riyadh. A Campaign of Rudeness. The Unscrewing of Steamboat. This will
    require total sacrifice, concentration, and skill to achieve the goal, which is to
    remove the Resort title from the place without the irreversible damage associated
    with Outright Violence and Hellfire. To return this valley to the common man. Each
    and every landscaper, digger, TV reporter, cab driver, baseball coach, convenience
    store clerk, politician and waiter will be required to do his or her part: to piss off
    the World Class Trash that you come in contact with so much that they have no
    option but to leave and slime up some other place, like Vail or Martha's Vineyard.
    We should collectively craft out the absolutely worst reputation possible as snobs,
    rebels, druggies, insolent boobs, ungrateful hyenas, dangerous criminals, crass and
    arrogant class of worker citizens that has ever disgraced this green earth. Like the
    French, only a hundred times worse. To survive, we will need to avoid things that
    we take for granted, such as personal hygiene, common sense, decency, dignity,
    and the occasional sharp retort. There will be friendly fire, so be prepared to take
    one for the team. We will all be living on edge until this is over, which could be
    years. Have patience comrades, the Rude Attacks will eat through gold and
    diamond. The acid wash will be complete. No one will want to live here, let alone
    the CEO class. When the Rude War is over, and we are the victors, a signal will be
    given, most likely involving a gigantic Epic flag, woven with fine silks and other
    linens claimed as spoils of war, and as a community, we will rally at the T-Bar and take down the Timber and Torch
    board by board and build a village of ski chalets and cabins. One of the first
    acts as a community will be the mass skinny-dipping at Strawberry Park, where we
    will swim. The land will be worth nothing, nobody who's anybody will want to live here. Ullr willing. Sanity will rule.
    The $5 million house will soon become a thing of the past.
    ^This! Yes!!!!!

What everyone is wondering across the west is that when covid is "over", is this the new normal or will there be some ebbing of the tide of people, the tide of snowmachines, etc?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've skied a shitload of days at Steamboat... mainly because my sis' and her family would make a yearly excursion from MI when the kids were growing up. All the gripes here are valid, as are all the non-gripes.

And if you just *happen* to hit a day like this, you might just have a good time, even if you're one of the ones that has nothing but gripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7oi83XvagY

(Not my vid - don't bitch at me about the music. )

ETA: the 27" report was mid-mountain, and the upper had *easily* 36+ that day. It was ridonkulus.

ETAA: I, too, remember that week Kinnikinnick is referring to. Rabbit Ears was closed more than it was open that week, I think. Sadly, I *did* not call in sick. I went shortly after that snowpocalypse and managed to have a good time.

Man dies in snowmobile crash outside Winter Park

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/man-d...6nzT6ScDmjhPpE

A 26-year-old snowmobiler from Texas died this weekend after colliding with a tree near Winter Park.
    According to the Grand County Sheriff’s Office, officials responded to a report of a snowmobiler crashing into a tree at about 11:35 a.m. Saturday. The accident occurred near Trail No. 1 about two miles from the outpost on Rollins Pass Road and Forest Service Road 149.
    Upon their arrival, responders found the injured snowmobiler, later identified as Benjamin Machala. The sheriff’s office said the Mountain Medical Response Team moved him from the location of the accident to a Grand EMS ambulance. Machala was pronounced dead by the Grand County Coroner later that day.
    An investigation into the cause and manner of Machala’s death is being conducted by the coroner’s office. The sheriff’s office is investigating the snowmobile accident.
    The East Grand Fire Department and Grand Adventures also assisted with the response

At least we own it.

Name:	FlatPow.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	355701

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What everyone is wondering across the west is that when covid is "over", is this the new normal or will there be some ebbing of the tide of people, the tide of snowmachines, etc?
    I hate to say it, but I think this is the new normal, especially now that Covid has revealed that many people (esp those with jobs that pay the good $$$$ need to live this lifestyle) can work from anywhere. Hang on to your hats cuz in 2030, we'll be looking back with longing talking with reverence for the chill experience in that was the Mountain West in the early 2020s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Storm skiing is the absolute best as the jerrys refuse to ski top of mtn when it's socked in.
    This had me scratching my head when I was there in February, middle of the week, right before Covid. Double digit totals in the a.m. report and still snowing when the lifts opened, plenty of people around but once we got up on the mountain, nobody was skiing the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    This had me scratching my head when I was there in February, middle of the week, right before Covid. Double digit totals in the a.m. report and still snowing when the lifts opened, plenty of people around but once we got up on the mountain, nobody was skiing the goods.
    This is pretty normal. Mountain gets really socked in and any non-tree run has zero visibility. Those are my favorite days at the Steamer.

Of course. Canada and Europe will be open.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Man dies in snowmobile crash outside Winter Park

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/man-d...6nzT6ScDmjhPpE

A 26-year-old snowmobiler from Texas died this weekend after colliding with a tree near Winter Park.
    According to the Grand County Sheriff’s Office, officials responded to a report of a snowmobiler crashing into a tree at about 11:35 a.m. Saturday. The accident occurred near Trail No. 1 about two miles from the outpost on Rollins Pass Road and Forest Service Road 149.
    Upon their arrival, responders found the injured snowmobiler, later identified as Benjamin Machala. The sheriff’s office said the Mountain Medical Response Team moved him from the location of the accident to a Grand EMS ambulance. Machala was pronounced dead by the Grand County Coroner later that day.
    An investigation into the cause and manner of Machala’s death is being conducted by the coroner’s office. The sheriff’s office is investigating the snowmobile accident.
    The East Grand Fire Department and Grand Adventures also assisted with the response
    I wonder what the blood/alcohol test revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    This is pretty normal. Mountain gets really socked in and any non-tree run has zero visibility. Those are my favorite days at the Steamer.
    Yup - terrorists go up Storm Peak ONCE in those conditions, try to get down Storm Peak Face or Buddy's, get really bad vertigo, and never go up again into the cloud.

Meanwhile... it the Bar UE trees...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've skied a shitload of days at Steamboat... mainly because my sis' and her family would make a yearly excursion from MI when the kids were growing up. All the gripes here are valid, as are all the non-gripes.

And if you just *happen* to hit a day like this, you might just have a good time, even if you're one of the ones that has nothing but gripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7oi83XvagY

(Not my vid - don't bitch at me about the music. )

ETA: the 27" report was mid-mountain, and the upper had *easily* 36+ that day. It was ridonkulus.

ETAA: I, too, remember that week Kinnikinnick is referring to. Rabbit Ears was closed more than it was open that week, I think. Sadly, I *did* not call in sick. I went shortly after that snowpocalypse and managed to have a good time.
    Awesome. Human snowplows. I had a few days like that in, I think, 93, which were part of a storm cycle like the one described above in 95. We were down in Summit, and getting some there, but Steamboat just kept beating any daily total down there for a week, so, we drive north, and did not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Awesome. Human snowplows.
    Yup - it was pretty much a constant face shot from the moment you left a cat track until you popped out at a lift/track below. Sublime...

Steamboat Shit Show(rant)

I got first tracks down Four Points lift line on a 36” day, December of 81.

Had to straightline the entire run.

The subsequent runs we’re actually better.
    I could get some speed in my first track, jump out, take five turns, get back in the track.

I think things will return to the old normal. But, of course, we will all have to wait and see. Might be a few converts that refuse to go back to the old normal.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I got first tracks down Four Points lift line on a 36” day, December of 81.

Had to straightline the entire run.

The subsequent runs we’re actually better.
    I could get some speed in my first track, jump out, take five turns, get back in the track.
    So the whole "Champagne" powder is all BS. I knew it!!! I skied one pow day back around 2012 or '13. It was a major let down. The whole time while I was skiing the 10" that fell was, "Shit, I ski this all the time in the PNW." It was funny listening and watching some of the CO folks struggling to ski the Cascade Cement though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

^Haha. Nah its real...but it's not what it used to be. There's only a few storms a season that dump the trademarked stuff nowadays.

I moved to the Boat on New Years Eve 1995. It started to snow that day and it just wouldn't stop all month. I still have a newspaper cut out with each days daily totals.

I had a great time there but after two seasons I was ready for a steeper mountain. Doing Gate D laps was a pretty goofy circuit of flat runs and lift rides and/or a small hike.

I hope to get back up there soon to go mountain biking but don't worry locals, I won't be showing up to add to your lift lines, I'm totally uninterested in skiing there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

And, there's too many damn people everywhere.

Nevada though still has some secret spots. I think the key is finding a mountain town with good bc access and no resort there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Lots of good deals on big ticket items (campers, snowmachines, Texas wheelchairs, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    ...it's a wonderful place to live if you're not paying attention...
    Sig worthy.

I wish there was an equivalent of Yellowstone Club for us old ski bums that is exclusive but of course has an old school feel. Members must be bitter, jaded, but overall happy just to ski. Credit check will not see if you have millions in liquid to join, instead it will see if you have too little debt to join.

We really need to reserve Turner Mountain when this shitshow is over to live the (expired) dream for a day or two. Was that 2Funky or Conundrum that brought that idea up a month or two ago?

How much mountain could we rent if we all pooled our stimulus checks?