Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    .....bites tongue trying not to comment on shadows/closets...... ive contributed enough bad juju for this thread

^^ I hear ya and feel same way

^^^such an odd humble brag tone deaf post. I mean the runs are on the map but why? Thats like rolling into the lift line and telling everyone to follow you to your favorite stash. But hey, 26days, must be a local.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, congratulations Colorado, and all tourists within. The new mutant strain of the virus from the UK is now in the state! Betcha a few people on that gondi line coughed it up. Happy Holidays!

Mutant strain is already everywhere, dumbass. Enjoy your pocono pimple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    This is why I deferred my pass.

Reservations happening in 3...2...
    Yep, me too (deferred) - bought some Loveland and A-bay days, assuming they'll stay open long enough for shit to settle down (with any luck). BC for now (be careful out there though - deadlier-than-most CO bc season so far - coincidence, or...?)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Funny to hear people saying there were no lines ten years ago. When I was in high school in the 80s my family took several February trips to Steamboat. I clearly remember the hour long lifelines at certain chairs. Sometimes hour and a quarter. These were older slow lifts, of course, but the waits were looooonnng. The town was still pretty charming though.
    I skied the boat in ‘79 or ‘80. Never rode the gondola, lines were huge. Had to skate over to some other lifts and then take a couple more lifts to where we wanted to ski. Once we got there, no lines and had that area almost to ourselves. I heard there were 13,000 people skiing there that weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ^^^such an odd humble brag tone deaf post. I mean the runs are on the map but why? Thats like rolling into the lift line and telling everyone to follow you to your favorite stash. But hey, 26days, must be a local.
    I don't think your post is directed at me but it looks like it.

Never got to ski Steamboat.
    But everywhere was better before.
    No one is from everywhere from the beginning though, so there's no point in approximating that claim.
    But commiserations on mind blowing liftlines the likes of which not before seen.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Today was the same nightmare. Granted it is Christmas/New Year's, I've never seen it this bad. The gondola line was insane, the lack of distancing disturbing, and the anti-maskers too many. It's pretty gross that this many people still go on vacation during a pandemic. The icing on the cake was the maskless twat in City Market this evening. Kindly return to your Texas hellhole sir. I'm not touching the mountain again until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    BC for now (be careful out there though - deadlier-than-most CO bc season so far - coincidence, or...?)
    Sheeit those 40mm wide dumpster-find XC skis were death defying at Stagecoach res the other day. I'm still terrified. The only slide I saw was me on my ass not too far from the TH. Didn't see another soul besides the ice fisherman doing what they do from a distance, so that was cool.

I don't think your post is directed at me but it looks like it.
    Nah, just joking on 26 day Closest Shadows guy.

It really does feel like most of those who are traveling right now to ski, at least to this town, are the biggest mouth-breathers of all. Just dumb as rocks and zero fucks given. Big families, too, grandparents, toddlers, all in big groups. I'm not even touching our grocery stores at this point. One can only hope they all slither away after they got their 'outdoor' holiday. After sideswiping the resort today to pick up my uphill armband (such bullshit), I really feel it is not safe at all.

It sounds a lot worse there than here. Than said, "people who choose to take a ski vacation during the holiday and act like it is business as usual" strikes me a pretty entitled and selfish subset of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    It really does feel like most of those who are traveling right now to ski, at least to this town, are the biggest mouth-breathers of all. Just dumb as rocks and zero fucks given.
    I was just talking to a realtor friend today and we were discussing how most of the hordes of people who have moved to Montana this year to "escape" the pandemic are the exact people we DON'T want moving here. Dumbass Trump followers acting like idiots. And reading the Gallatin County SAR Facebook page for the Bozeman area right now is crazy. All kinds of idiots getting into trouble on their sleds and needing rescue. Like really dumb stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/gallatincountysheriffsoffice/

This is all no big surprise is it? Reduced lift capacity due to approx 60% loading and skiing being one of the only things people can still do with their families in public during the pandemic.

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would stand in a 2-hour line for the gondola instead of taking Christie Peak + Thunderhead though. I've been seeing the same effect at Sierra at Tahoe lately. The Tahoe King fixed-grip double is literally 100 feet from the Grandview Express and goes to the same place. Zero line vs a 15-minute line at Grandview. It takes 7 minutes longer, but ???
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    This is all no big surprise is it? Reduced lift capacity due to approx 60% loading and skiing being one of the only things people can still do with their families in public during the pandemic.

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would stand in a 2-hour line for the gondola instead of taking Christie Peak + Thunderhead though. I've been seeing the same effect at Sierra at Tahoe lately. The Tahoe King fixed-grip double is literally 100 feet from the Grandview Express and goes to the same place. Zero line vs a 15-minute line at Grandview. It takes 7 minutes longer, but ???
    I don't know why anyone would ride a gondola unless you have already had COVID period let alone that line. Who cares about reduced capacity, magical one seat spacing mind set, that shit is not getting out of the cabin by coming down the mountain with a cracked window.

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would stand in a 2-hour line for the gondola instead of taking Christie Peak + Thunderhead though
    That was the question I had earlier. Thanks for confirming it’s possible. Maybe that green run between them is flat and boring, but it’s got to be better than waiting in a line for over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It sounds a lot worse there than here. Than said, "people who choose to take a ski vacation during the holiday and act like it is business as usual" strikes me a pretty entitled and selfish subset of the population.
    Don't you know that locals don't get the Covid?

The west is lost, I find myself looking east nowadays

X

Love the painting Benny

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I was just talking to a realtor friend today and we were discussing how most of the hordes of people who have moved to Montana this year to "escape" the pandemic are the exact people we DON'T want moving here. Dumbass Trump followers acting like idiots. And reading the Gallatin County SAR Facebook page for the Bozeman area right now is crazy. All kinds of idiots getting into trouble on their sleds and needing rescue. Like really dumb stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/gallatincountysheriffsoffice/
    My regular ski partner bar-tends in a popular watering hole in the Zone. He echo's your thought 1000%.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Montana was high in the running as a relocation spot for me, but between wages that are a step above indentured servitude and the way the politics of the state broke in the most recent election, I'll just keep on heading north, thanks.

After they didn't run the bike park this summer (following their poor management of it the last couple years), I've said a big fuck you to that resort. I'll go in the summer to do the Divide trail and a few buff pass laps but that's about it.

Cause everybody knows about Christie to thunderhead now and the line was just as long.