Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why older folks? Altitude sickness tends to affect the young, gets better with age.
    Do you have anything to supports this? I'm no expert, but I can tell you that I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Why older folks? Altitude sickness tends to affect the young, gets better with age.

Yeah, I've heard that too w/r/t acute symptoms, but I know numerous older folks out here who have had to move to lower altitude spots because of difficulties breathing that only became apparent as they aged. These are generally healthy, active people too. I'm not sure what the physiological and/or medical reason behind it is, but it's not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that too w/r/t acute symptoms, but I know numerous older folks out here who have had to move to lower altitude spots because of difficulties breathing that only became apparent as they aged. These are generally healthy, active people too. I'm not sure what the physiological and/or medical reason behind it is, but it's not uncommon.
    I think the condition is called aging

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Opposite with me.

Opening day 2018, he still does tours on the mtn with folks who are enamored by his hat. He's always smiling and emits positive energy. He got his in this valley, he's not going anywhere.

Name:  JaxBillyKidTGR.jpeg
Views: 2457
Size:  201.5 KB

You seem like a happy person.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Love how the covid rant turned into steamboat sucks. It’s flat. The powder isn’t champagne. Etc. lol.

Spent a week there, many moons ago. Nice vibe. Awesome trees. But I hated having to take a lift to get home.
    The best thing was not being near Denver. I guess that’s changed.
    Rabbit ear pass was sweet. But I’m assuming that’s a shit show these days.

Lasting memory was my (not yet) wife’s maid of honor ordering fillet mignon well done. Waiter refused. Made her get a ny strip.
    Respect.
    . . .

I still have kind of a soft spot in my heart for Steamboat. I wonder how many kids like me were inspired to move west because of this poster I had on my wall? It evokes a lot of romanticism about western skiing, even though the image makes little sense from a practical perspective. Good story about the making of the image at this link. One of the people in the photo recalls: "We took a terrible teasing from the ski school and our friends. They’d say, ‘What were you guys doing in that barn?" lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010613_BarnPoster-931x1240.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	355956

I had that poster on my wall growing up in the 90's. It's hanging on the wall in my parents' lake house to this day. Steamboat was also the first place I skied out west. We got about 4 feet of snow that week. I was hooked.

Yeah this is a cool rant about everything thread now. I'll try to cover all my opinions that nobody asked for:

- I like Steamboat. Had an all-time trip back in high school, and a fun one with my dad a few years back. Day tripped from the Front Range for the (then) record 24hr snowfall circa 2012 or something.
    - Powder doesn't last as long as it used to. Get over it, adjust, or go insane.
    - COVID sucks. People who take vacations during COVID and complain about the resultant problems they're encountering also suck.
    - Snowmobiles are fun. Hard to ride off trail and easy to overdo it on trail. Throttles can get stuck. Mine has done this.
    - There are ill-informed/low skill individuals in every ski town demographic. Transplants blow it, tourists blow it, and yes the golden indigenous people blow it too. There is dumb everywhere, and X years lived in location X doesn't guarantee knowledge by osmosis. Born and raised Vail buddy of mine and his pals have a shockingly low amount of avy knowledge for all their years in ski country, good drivers though. Same Vail buddy pulled a guy out of the ditch yesterday - ditch banger had "NATIVE" and "Don't hassle me I'm a local" bumper stickers.
    Last edited by North; 01-02-2021 at 05:51 PM.

silverthone is a treat lots of traffic seems like all the punters headed home early from the boat are backing shit up hard
    all that chump powder must be gone so it's back to the metro area for some golf

+1 on the most iconic advertising for USA skiing even with out showing skiing. Love that shot.

If it was Hunter Mountain it would be gold chains and snowlerbladers in front of a beat up vending machine. Ah NY....

Squeaky wheel gets the lube, the gondy cam is finally back!

Part of what makes Steamboat fun in that it is the anti-rad. If I want to challenge myself, I take my snowboard (because I suck). My home hill has shitty groomers, Steamboat doesn't. It's a great spring skiing mountain. Show up at noon. Sunglasses and pocket beers doing about 90. Complaining that Steamboat isn't steep is like complaining that your Chevette is a shit box...you knew what you were getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Part of what makes Steamboat fun in that it is the anti-rad. If I want to challenge myself, I take my snowboard (because I suck). My home hill has shitty groomers, Steamboat doesn't. It's a great spring skiing mountain. Show up at noon. Sunglasses and pocket beers doing about 90. Complaining that Steamboat isn't steep is like complaining that your Chevette is a shit box...you knew what you were getting into.
    Exactly, steamboat is fun enough. Challenging it's not, but it's fun and all those intermediate midwesterners get a nice ego boost and true expert skiers have a mountain to feel superior to. Win-win. Plus the vibes are good and the place has charm.

so your saying it skis alot like eldora? but with a better town?

Eldora doesn't get snow, is shorter on vert and has a lot of double fall line terrain from what I remember from skiing there 15ish years ago

Steamboat Shit Show(rant)

Lol - They don’t belong in the same conversation.

I had the cowboy poster for years, SB marketing always gave them away at trade shows and swaps. I upgraded to a Muir way topo print in its place so my house is a little less “colorado basic”

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    so your saying it skis alot like eldora? but with a better town?
    How fucking high are you?

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Eldora doesn't get snow, is shorter on vert and has a lot of double fall line terrain from what I remember from skiing there 15ish years ago
    In Eldora's defense it might get snow but I can't imagine you can get an accurate measurement given that it all blows to Kansas.

yall just come to breck we have tall t's and brohs instead of cowboys ok

Lol, foggy is right about steamboat, especially the last sentence. And everyone but fred is right about Eldora. Its best characteristic is beating expectations, but to do that we have to keep expectations extremely low.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Exactly, steamboat is fun enough. Challenging it's not, but it's fun and all those intermediate midwesterners get a nice ego boost and true expert skiers have a mountain to feel superior to. Win-win. Plus the vibes are good and the place has charm.
    The quality of the tree skiing (pines and aspens) trumps the lack of long steeps and gnar for me. Getting deep in those forests are magical.

Please, don't begin to insinuate that capitalism rewards the asshole more than the competent.
    And that reward brings the assholes to the last best places.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Opening day 2018, he still does tours on the mtn with folks who are enamored by his hat. He's always smiling and emits positive energy. He got his in this valley, he's not going anywhere.

Name:  JaxBillyKidTGR.jpeg
Views: 2457
Size:  201.5 KB
    Billy is alive and well and still has his property. Several years back he was signing posters and my girls wanted one. So they walk Up and they start talking with him and he is letting them check out his Olympic and World Championship medals. Next thing I know he has them wearing his medals and telling me to come over and take a picture. Great ambassador for the Boat and the Yampa Valley.

Talked to a number of Steamboat locals lately who've felt climate change is coming quick for this lower elevation, unfortunately orientated ski hill, bemoaning that Champagne™ Powder™ is mostly a thing of the past and that Sierra® Cement© is more the norm....certainly an exaggeration when it comes to Cement, but heavy pow is becoming more and more common here and climate change will impact the Boat more and sooner than other Colorado hills.