Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Meh. It's still cold as fuck upper mtn. We're already used to it raining down low and dumping up high. It's not a hot topic of conversation in my circle to be sure. If anything, maybe the resort will pay more attention to the mtb hands that could feed them spring through fall to help fund addt'l snowmaking. That, in the end, is what's been saving the lower mountain and allowing them to open alongside resorts with higher elevations in a somewhat normal timeframe. The upper mtn will continue to get snow in our lifetimes, if not, steamboat ain't the only place you should be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yall just come to breck we have tall t's and brohs instead of cowboys ok
    Being a total outsider. You couldn’t pay me to ski breck, looks equivalent to east coast skiing with a better view. But I’d love to noodle some aspens at steamboat. Hate cowboy hats but Billy is cool as fuck!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Being a total outsider. You couldn’t pay me to ski breck, looks equivalent to east coast skiing with a better view. But I’d love to noodle some aspens at steamboat. Hate cowboy hats but Billy is cool as fuck!
    I skied breck the other day and it was a fucking miserable ice rink and the scariest green run of my life. Brand new edges too. That said, I'd take Breck's high alpine bowl skiing over any run at Steamboat almost any day of the season. But I generally despise both of those mountains overall.

Just reviving this old thread. Anyone complaining at the 'boat today?

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Just reviving this old thread. Anyone complaining at the 'boat today?

I'm complaining that I left Steamboat last night. Dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I'm complaining that I left Steamboat last night. Dammit.
    I left yesterday afternoon as well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

It was pretty nice yesterday boys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	446591

Skiied untracked all morning with a non mag buddy long time local. Steep tree skiing which it is said does not exist.

Bashing steamboat and breck is just strange to me. There is so much fun to be had at both.

It's almost like people don't like skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Bashing steamboat and breck is just strange to me. There is so much fun to be had at both.

After skiing in Arizona for over 20 years now I have to agree. I can have fun pretty much anywhere and now that I'm older and have more of a quiver to ski on I would definitely appreciate those long groomers at the Boat.

A little light hearted ribbing though? I'm ok with that. I take it all the time for living here!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

It's an effort to not take it too seriously. Self deprecating humor along with sarcasm rarely translates well over the nternet

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    It's an effort to not take it too seriously. Self deprecating humor along with sarcasm rarely translates well over the nternet
    Nah, it translates just fine, especially here. The whiners who complain about place x vs. place y are just being annoying brats. I ski at what very well could be the worst possible place every Saturday with my kids. It's all about perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I ski at what very well could be the worst possible place every Saturday with my kids. It's all about perspective.
    You ski at Vail every Saturday?

TBH, the older I get, the more I like Steamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You ski at Vail every Saturday?
    Imagine Vail, but with 240' of vert, similar lift lines, no alcohol sales whatsoever, and not a smidge of interesting terrain or a single mogul to be found.

Here, this should explain things:

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	446639

Imagine Vail, but with 240' of vert, similar lift lines, no alcohol sales whatsoever, and not a smidge of interesting terrain or a single mogul to be found.

Here, this should explain things:

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	446639
    Name:  butnevermind2.gif
Views: 847
Size:  35.2 KB

Nah, it translates just fine, especially here. The whiners who complain about place x vs. place y are just being annoying brats. I ski at what very well could be the worst possible place every Saturday with my kids. It's all about perspective.
    Your kids are gonna grow up to be adults and then they will be little annoying shitheads online as well. Probably worse than what you see on TGR

Life is funny like that

anyone have a couple free / discounted steamboat passes they'd want to trade for a couple free / discounted vail passes? I'm gonna be skiing the boat this weekend saturday through monday. Can also bring a couple heady toppers to sweeten the deal

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Your kids are gonna grow up to be adults and then they will be little annoying shitheads online as well. Probably worse than what you see on TGR

Life is funny like that
    Counterpoint: No they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    It was pretty nice yesterday boys

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	446591
    Double take wondering if this skier had pants on…

(My eyesight is going after so many years on this damn phone…!)

Ex-steamboat resident. 18-19 was a sad transition when IKON came to town and gondi lines grew out of control.
    Nothing better than deep cold days waking up to a foot plus overnight and living within 10 minutes of the hill.
    It is true nothing inbounds is Crested Butte, Abasin or Silverton gnar but a day trip out of town always fixed the desire to get on steeps.

Here's my attempt at poetry:

"Once a ranch, then came Billy Kid, so they built it up big. They really did.
    Lodges and lifts. Coasters for kids.

3 Gondola tries, might help cut the lines.
    But Locals won’t get any more sidecountry ‘Pony lines"

I really just laugh when people hate on Breck as hard as they do. Yeah, a seriously large amount of high alpine terrain that gets way more snow than snow totals suggest and buffs out smooth (with little to no crust all season, especially in multi-week dry spells where the rest of the mtn west is just hardpack as fuck) constantly from wind is just terrible. Also really sucks that we have to be skiing Lake Chutes in mid May these days. OH NO BUT I HAVE TO TAKE A GONDOLA FROM TOWN TO GET TO THE MTN, HOW FUCKING STUPID I HATE BRECK GAWDDDD

It's a mountain that is so easy to ski wrong and then swear you hate it, but a little learning goes a long way...

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    I really just laugh when people hate on Breck as hard as they do. Yeah, a seriously large amount of high alpine terrain that gets way more snow than snow totals suggest and buffs out smooth (with little to no crust all season, especially in multi-week dry spells where the rest of the mtn west is just hardpack as fuck) constantly from wind is just terrible. Also really sucks that we have to be skiing Lake Chutes in mid May these days. OH NO BUT I HAVE TO TAKE A GONDOLA FROM TOWN TO GET TO THE MTN, HOW FUCKING STUPID I HATE BRECK GAWDDDD

It's a mountain that is so easy to ski wrong and then swear you hate it, but a little learning goes a long way...
    I think that it is more about the town (Breck) and the crowds/lines than it is about the actual mountain. Don't take it so personally. The internet can draw hate on anything at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I think that it is more about the town (Breck) and the crowds/lines than it is about the actual mountain. Don't take it so personally. The internet can draw hate on anything at any time.
    meh it's not a taking it personally thing, I just don't have such exaggerated opinions about things I don't know well enough like a lot of people do these days.

Town/crowds are super easy to deal with if you don't mess with it at the obviously bad times, every midweek pow day this year has been super mellow. There's so much good ski culture to be had here even these days, too.

I was impressed by how many skiers were cattle chuted through the maze onto the gondola so quickly. Fortunately I hardly work anymore and concentrate on weekdays and powder. Contrast that with my small home areas of Monarch and Wolf Creek where you basically ski onto the lift most runs on weekdays and I appreciate both experiences. Having friends with guest rooms at the mega resorts makes all the difference. They enjoy coming and riding 2 seat fixed grips as well.