Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    actually.....i was commenting how those runs are overhyped lameass runs......like most of that lame resort.......sorry....not sorry. reminds me of skiing in vermont where theres only limited lanes through there. the need to be discreet there was not what i was going for at alll
    Limited lanes? In Shadows and Closets? Whatchoo talkin' 'bout??

actually.....i was commenting how those runs are overhyped lameass runs......like most of that lame resort.......sorry....not sorry. reminds me of skiing in vermont where theres only limited lanes through there. the need to be discreet there was not what i was going for at alll
    Yeah I picked up what you were saying, bite your tongue is way different than hush-hush. About Shadows and closets? lol. First tracks will get dibs again pretty soon here anyway. There are WAY better trees that still rarely get skied. You just have to put in the time to get there or get out of.

I'll for sure miss the resort for easy access this year.

I highly highly doubt those are newb Bozemanites getting into trouble buying a sled in their first year in MT, that's a stretch.
    Wild guess...you haven't been to a snowmobile trail head in the the 12 months? Pretty common to see his and hers 850s for first sleds and no idea not to ride them.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Wild guess...you haven't been to a snowmobile trail head in the the 12 months? Pretty common to see his and hers 850s for first sleds and no idea not to ride them.
    I think you nailed it. The dumb af tourists are exactly the people who have decided to move here cuz covid, and lots of them seem to have a plenty of money to splurge on ATVs, snowmobiles, expensive SUVs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Limited lanes? In Shadows and Closets? Whatchoo talkin' 'bout??
    Yeah not following that one either. Plenty of room in there to open it up.

And the boat is what it is not a mountain with crazy steep terrain. But it does have long fall line runs with great tree skiing.

I personally really like it. I spent a decade skiing little cottonwood....clearly the boat doesn’t have terrain like that but I think it is a fun mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think you nailed it. The dumb af tourists are exactly the people who have decided to move here cuz covid, and lots of them seem to have a plenty of money to splurge on ATVs, snowmobiles, expensive SUVs, etc.
    Californians and Texas MTN newbs have lots of cash to blow on toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It's been common to see his and her snowmobiles as first sleds since the 90's at many trailheads, all across North America in Canada and the US. And West Yellowstone is the mecca for snomo tourists for decades. You think all the new Bozeman locals are driving the 90 miles down south for a day trip to hit Two Top because they know the best zones one month into their MT winter journey?

Not just tourists man. My neighbor moved here from CA. Joined a toy co-op where they can take sleds, campers, razors, etc whatever depending on how many points they buy. First weekend out takes a razor out to a reservoir and buries it where the water had been drawn down. Has to walk many miles in the dark to find a farmer to tug it out for a grip of cash. Bent up the razor which cost another grip. He is not a tourist. He lives on my street. Also not a second hand story. He told me as he was pressure washing the mud off. Borrowed snow shoes from me last weekend to take some sleds out. Said he didn’t want to have to walk out in the snow if he got stuck. I guess he sort of learned a lesson.

Ran into him at the ski hill today. His girlfriend decided she wanted to be a skier, bought some gear, and twisted her knee up pretty bad on her first day out today. Might be a torn MCL.

They are super nice folks and I have no issues with them. Merely pointing out that folks are moving to places where they may get in over head quicker than people that grew up around some of this stuff. Sometimes they get lucky and sometimes SAR is called. Sometimes it’s tourists, sometimes newer residents, and sometimes people who have been around for awhile. Probably more frequently for the uninitiated.

Limited lanes - LOL. Take a lap

I think you are on to something though...my sister and her boyfriend are straight outta Burlington and rave about Steamboat!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Not just tourists man. My neighbor moved here from CA. Joined a toy co-op where they can take sleds, campers, razors, etc whatever depending on how many points they buy. First weekend out takes a razor out to a reservoir and buries it where the water had been drawn down. Has to walk many miles in the dark to find a farmer to tug it out for a grip of cash. Bent up the razor which cost another grip. He is not a tourist. He lives on my street. Also not a second hand story. He told me as he was pressure washing the mud off. Borrowed snow shoes from me last weekend to take some sleds out. Said he didn’t want to have to walk out in the snow if he got stuck. I guess he sort of learned a lesson.

Ran into him at the ski hill today. His girlfriend decided she wanted to be a skier, bought some gear, and twisted her knee up pretty bad on her first day out today. Might be a torn MCL.

They are super nice folks and I have no issues with them. Merely pointing out that folks are moving to places where they may get in over head quicker than people that grew up around some of this stuff. Sometimes they get lucky and sometimes SAR is called. Sometimes it’s tourists, sometimes newer residents, and sometimes people who have been around for awhile. Probably more frequently for the uninitiated.
    Whaaaattttt. Very few locals are riding in West Yellowstone and crashing into trees off groomers but I'll take your guys word that tourists are becoming locals and buying sleds immediately is a new thing. Crazy.

I'd lament about The West changing to something I don't recognize anymore but i don't want babybear to make fun of me again.

From the Gallatin Sheriff's page a few days ago. People were asking about charging for SAR and implying tourists are the problem. This was their response.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ok.....ill take another lap
    if it wasnt for the "champagne powder (tm)" you would be poling your way down most of that terrain. fish creek has some decent fall line but thats not even inside the ropes. the golf course is some meh blue square sidecountry like most of buff pass and its really short......and dont even get me started on xmas tree chutes etc and the "backside." Most of the resort has a solar orientation but fortunately for them its always cold as fuck to counteract that massive oversight. the best thing about steamboat is that its easy to poach by hiking up to pony express and just never going down to the bottom. i got more......but thats enough donnie downer vibes for the day

ok.....ill take another lap
    if it wasnt for the "champagne powder (tm)" you would be poling your way down most of that terrain. fish creek has some decent fall line but thats not even inside the ropes. the golf course is some meh blue square sidecountry like most of buff pass and its really short......and dont even get me started on xmas tree chutes etc and the "backside." Most of the resort has a solar orientation but fortunately for them its always cold as fuck to counteract that massive oversight. the best thing about steamboat is that its easy to poach by hiking up to pony express and just never going down to the bottom. i got more......but thats enough donnie downer vibes for the day
    Curious, where IS rad enough for you?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Whaaaattttt. Very few locals are riding in West Yellowstone and crashing into trees off groomers but I'll take your guys word that tourists are becoming locals and buying sleds immediately is a new thing. Crazy.

I'd lament about The West changing to something I don't recognize anymore but i don't want babybear to make fun of me again.
    Might be the case for West Yellowstone and you can win that debate. I don't live over there. I'm talking more generally for MT/ID. My example was a Razor in western Idaho so not sure why you're quoting me and saying it applies to your argument. We're seeing for more rescues and issues from either tourists or transplants all over where I live. And yes, we're seeing a bunch of transplants renting/buying new toys. One of our favorite sled to hot springs shut down drinking last year because "the people he knew where always cordial and didn't cause problems, all the new people are ruining it for everyone". Now their considering shutting down all public access altogether which is unfortunate. Not worth the headache. They've had fights, people getting stuck to/from (it's a groomed trail), all sorts of problems. I want to be clear this is not near west Yellowstone so not part of their own issues.

Ha! as a "reformed rad bridger bro" steamboat cracks me up. In laws are part of the 2nd homeowner problem and I usually just go fishing instead unless free tickets and pow. One time I was being a tourist with a trail map open at bottom of some lift and patrol rolls up asking if I had any questions. I told him I've skied this and that etc and was wondering where the steep stuff was? He gives me a funny look and asks where I normally ski? I told him bridger and he laughs as he tells me to fuck off... it still makes me chuckle.

Also my sister, who happens to be a nurse practitioner, goes to steamboat for vacation with her family most years. So far she still plans on going this year which boggles my mind but obviously there are plenty of people who feel the same way and are contributing to the shitshow. Midwest people fucking love that place so you can blame them as well as those Frangers.

Front Range colorado is the capital of the Midwest. It is like the emerald city for all the flat landers

Ok so to add something positive, the hot springs are great and it's always fun to see the new and interesting ways people can find to drive a rental off the road.

may be a shitshow but what other ski town has this?

https://youtu.be/LPmrmn9u6lg

Might be the case for West Yellowstone and you can win that debate. I don't live over there. I'm talking more generally for MT/ID. My example was a Razor in western Idaho so not sure why you're quoting me and saying it applies to your argument. .
    I'm not arguing anymore, although I think I'm right about WestY, yet I'm speculating it's tourists I don't know for sure.

I'm just listening to you guys and your experiences and thinking, 'whaaaatttttttt' as in that's crazy, I had no idea, I'm not saying what you are seeing first-hand is wrong, ha. Just a misunderstanding.

Well Happy New Years to you man!

Quote Originally Posted by been in it View Post
    It's still a fun mountain if you know how to ski it. Most who come here don't.
    Over the years, I have probably skied it 15 times total, and while I have had fun (because skiing) I will readily admit that I don't know how to ski it. Would love to figure that out sometime, I feel like every time I go I am trying to figure shit out.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I feel like every time I go I am trying to figure shit out.
    I have found that thunderhead in the morning helps, some days at least.

Well Happy New Years to you man!
    Cheers, here's to 2021 and finding our own slice of nirvana somewhere.

Steamboat Shit Show(rant)

January 1996 216.5"
    https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...boat-ski-area/

As I worked my retail job I listened to the snow reports all week. Every single day for 8 days Steamboat got 10-12 inches.

Finally after calling the snow line Saturday at 5:30AM and hearing another 14", I called in sick.

Drove through a white knuckle blizzard 4 hrs straight but was worth it with all the fallline tree shots filled in and it being 1995, not very crowded. Then the chutes, 1st, 2nd, 3rd tracks.

Paid for two day tickets and hotel overnight with cash from driving a pound across town the day before.

Woke up and can't see out the ground floor hotel window. 26" overnight. Champagne powder. Deep base. All Systems Go. Charge the steepest treelines only.but not so heavy as to make it anything but bliss.

As I zoom down this secret line in Shadows, I hear " HEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeelp!" Slammed on the brakes. Guy caught a tip and is upside down, almost buried and unable to reach or release his bindings. Took me 15 min to traverse and kickturn and traverse back to him.

But as many faceshots as your legs could stand or the clock allowed.

But yeah its spent, sucks, better off somewhere else on those days, too many new locals nearby and front range.
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 12-31-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I've skied the resort twice. Once it was raining the other time it was a sheet of ice from after it rained.

Global warming is gonna kill that mountain.