Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drones - any larger planning regulations needed?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...Partner-Google

I’m not all that deep into this, but it strikes me like a bit of a Pandora’s box that we will collectively regret once there is as much air traffic as ground traffic.

I’m not sure what it looks like, but it seems that some sort of air traffic control or planning armature or regulatory limitations are needed prior to the delivery industry exploding over our houses and towns.

Imagine if every prime, ups or fedex ground that came to your & your neighbors’ houses this holiday season was delivered by drone — what does that air space look like? I’m not sure that’s a space I like to live in/under.

I agree completely but it seems to be one of those things that's going to have to get bad before it gets better. I wonder if people have any control over the air rights above their properties, or if states or localities have any jurisdiction, but I'd bet they probably don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...Partner-Google

Imagine if every prime, ups or fedex ground that came to your & your neighbors’ houses this holiday season was delivered by drone — what does that air space look like? I’m not sure that’s a space I like to live in/under.
    Imagine how creative porch pirates would be if they could just pluck them out of the sky as they flew over their house.

dust off the shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I agree completely but it seems to be one of those things that's going to have to get bad before it gets better. I wonder if people have any control over the air rights above their properties, or if states or localities have any jurisdiction, but I'd bet they probably don't.
    kinda like our current social media landscape...we made this bed of disinformation, now we get to lie in it until we make it better

on the positive side, drone deliveries are maybe a lot less smog/CO production?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    My understanding is the space above and below a property are still part of the property unless specifically leased or sold; e.g., ground rights can be leased or sold for mining or air rights can be leased or sold for billboards without selling the property itself. There are surely lots of exceptions with the most visible being the 'airplane highway'.

I don't think Amazon would have bought all of those nice new vans if they thought drone delivery was viable in the near future.
    Too many regulations, closed off airspace, and people that like to shoot guns. Easier to just use eco vans for the last few miles.

Seems like sticking to the airspace above public roadways would be the easy way to go. Lose some efficiencies, but seems like it would reduce "muh airspace" headaches...

and dropping at the entry to a driveway to avoid going over the property airspace might turn out badly...
    kinda need to be able to enter properties' airspace to deliver to them

lotta open questions that only we on TRG can vet properly

It'll be interesting when one hits a California condor.

Elon Musk has already plastered Low Earth Orbit with Starlink satellites, so I guess we just march on.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I don't think Amazon would have bought all of those nice new vans if they thought drone delivery was viable in the near future.
    You realize those vans log 200+ miles a day right? They're not long for this world regardless at 40k miles of stop and go a year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    and dropping at the entry to a driveway to avoid going over the property airspace might turn out badly...
    kinda need to be able to enter properties' airspace to deliver to them

lotta open questions that only we on TRG can vet properly
    Seems like dropping at the house the pkg is intended for wouldn't really present an issue. Unless the person receiving *explicitly* doesn't want the drone over their property. I envision a checkbox on Amazon that explicitly gives permission to enter the addressee's airspace to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    dust off the shotgun
    No. These vehicles be FAA regulated. I wouldn't risk getting those cocksuckers involved.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Seems to me that a single trip out and back to deliver a single package would eat up an entire battery. Would love to see the numbers crunched on that, but it seems to be that the electricity consumed would be less than eco-friendly. Especially when multiplied by the millions. Even a gasser delivery truck can be relatively "efficient" when taking into account the # of deliveries per tank of fuel.

I'd like to hear puregravity's thoughts on this.

And how many urban 'package hunters' will start shooting down drones like geese?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Heard he's been nominated for the 2020 Kraken Award.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    And how many urban 'package hunters' will start shooting down drones like geese?
    We already have every Tom, Dick and Timmy practicing in their cessna over the house every fucking day. I'll start sniping drones immediately.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Seems to me that a single trip out and back to deliver a single package would eat up an entire battery. Would love to see the numbers crunched on that, but it seems to be that the electricity consumed would be less than eco-friendly. Especially when multiplied by the millions. Even a gasser delivery truck can be relatively "efficient" when taking into account the # of deliveries per tank of fuel.
    The efficiency comes in the elimination of the *driver*... automation and all that.

Just keep the damn things out of the backcountry.

Yeah but for anything heavier than a pair of size 11 running sneakers won't you still need a truck?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Especially up-state...

They could make drone hunting season just the three weeks before Christmas. Any drones shot out of season would incur heavy fines, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Especially up-state...
    Could help with the map though.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    My understanding is the space above and below a property are still part of the property unless specifically leased or sold; e.g., ground rights can be leased or sold for mining or air rights can be leased or sold for billboards without selling the property itself. There are surely lots of exceptions with the most visible being the 'airplane highway'.
    The law talking guys could correct me on this, but when my brother and I were property talking guys, our understanding was that you don't own any airspace above private property (at least in the US and A). You simply have the right to develop into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Shhh, don’t unleash that Kraken.